• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Alrus

Also who programmed the absolutely moronic, context-insensitive Shakalaka AI? Seriously, these guys seem to use their health recovery dances completely randomly. Run around for three minutes with low health? No heal. Be literally halfway through the collaps onto bed animation? Health Recover (L)

The game would be piss easy if the shakalakas used their dance relative to context tbh. It also depends on their stamina (which you can't see) and the mask they're wearing (some will dance a lot more than others, and some have more stamina)

I might sell my 3DS copy so I can get the wiiU version. I ONLY play at home anyways.

good idea?

I wouldn't. The Wii U version goes for about the same price as the 3DS. SOOOOOoooo good to have both versions.

I have two kids so I can't fully "commit" to the big screen till they are asleep. Farming on the way to work is excellent.

Wii U is the definitive version. No question

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I wouldn't. The Wii U version goes for about the same price as the 3DS. SOOOOOoooo good to have both versions.

I have two kids so I can't fully "commit" to the big screen till they are asleep. Farming on the way to work is excellent.

Wii U is the definitive version. No question

Why not just play on the Game Pad if you need the television for the kids?

And if the guy ONLY plays at home, he might as well get the Wii U version. I also play Monster Hunter while I'm out, so I have both. But if you're only playing at home, sure, why not get the better version.

And if the guy ONLY plays at home, he might as well get the Wii U version. I also play Monster Hunter while I'm out, so I have both. But if you're only playing at home, sure, why not get the better version.

this is pretty much my thinking. I can still play with my brother in law when he comes over too.

it makes performing certain tasks a chore. When I can play on the TV, I use the pro controller with the game pad propped up on the stand that comes with the deluxe.

I have played on the game pad off screen btw, just not my preferred method i guess. I normally use the off screen when I'm walking outside of a cigarette and do the BS that's in between hunts online

Mondriaan

The game would be piss easy if the shakalakas used their dance relative to context tbh. It also depends on their stamina (which you can't see) and the mask they're wearing (some will dance a lot more than others, and some have more stamina)
It's probably also a good idea to feed the shakas something since it boosts their stamina and helps level up their masks. Their dances take a few seconds to perform and basically anything can interrupt them, so I wouldn't rely on them in a pinch, particularly if the zone is full of small fry or has two bosses in it.

They will give up on their songs if they get interrupted more than once I think (probably because failing a song still costs them stamina), but if you are keeping the heat off them, they generally do an okay to good job with healing and buffing.

If any devoted players would like to partner up and help me into GRank, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm at the 4* urgent Port quest.

I've played for 200 hours so far (99% of that through Village 9*) and have maxed HR Poison, stunprongs, plessychetes, Dios +, Agnaktor fire, Wrath/RancorJho, TwinAcrus, and Blizzy Ice dual blades.

Azure/soulLos HR armor and am wanting to get to GRank for nicer things....a little quicker more efficiently I guess.

Love this game!

Mattios (hunter name) or my NNid is eightyone - on now ^_^

Most of that was on 3DS^

Bought WiiU version last week for Online help and to do GRank

So I posted earlier in the thread complaining at how the 3DS version is region locked, I'm thinking of picking up a Wii U for this game and future games that I'm looking forward to.(Smash Bros. 4, Mario Kart Wii U, Fire Emblem X SMT etc)

Anyway, what is everyone's opinion on playing the game with the GamePad versus the Pro controller?

Is the Classic Controller Pro supported with the game? As I'll play with that otherwise.

So I posted earlier in the thread complaining at how the 3DS version is region locked, I'm thinking of picking up a Wii U for this game and future games that I'm looking forward to.(Smash Bros. 4, Mario Kart Wii U, Fire Emblem X SMT etc)

Anyway, what is everyone's opinion on playing the game with the GamePad versus the Pro controller?

Is the Classic Controller Pro supported with the game? As I'll play with that otherwise.

Yes, the pro classic is supported. I played fine with the game pad before purchasing a pro controller, though I find the pro controller favorable

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The gamepad is great. It really is since you can take stuff like the map and put it on the gamepad screen. CCP is supported though.

Yes, the pro classic is supported. I played fine with the game pad before purchasing a pro controller, though I find the pro controller favorable

The gamepad is great. It really is since you can take stuff like the map and put it on the gamepad screen. CCP is supported though.

It's good to hear that the GamePad is great, I was worried that it would feel forced like MH3 with the Wiimote + Nunchuck.

I guess I'll be picking up a Wii U later this month then, it's a shame that MH4 isn't coming to it but I guess I'll just buy a 3DS down the line.

It's good to hear that the GamePad is great, I was worried that it would feel forced like MH3 with the Wiimote + Nunchuck.

I guess I'll be picking up a Wii U later this month then, it's a shame that MH4 isn't coming to it but I guess I'll just buy a 3DS down the line.

I'm really hoping it comes out for the Wii U down the line. The ability to transfer you character is great.

JKTrix

I use the Wii U Pro controller and definitely prefer it. I don't really use the gamepad screen during hunts, though I do use it between hunts to check my crops and 'Hunters for Hire', and as a quick shortcut to get to Tanzia. I have been using it more lately for combining bowgun rounds, so that is one pretty useful feature.

Pro controller feels great.

Also who programmed the absolutely moronic, context-insensitive Shakalaka AI? Seriously, these guys seem to use their health recovery dances completely randomly. Run around for three minutes with low health? No heal. Be literally halfway through the collaps onto bed animation? Health Recover (L)

The worst thing is seeing the words "Quest Failed," and seeing the heal animation. Just... fuck those guys sometimes.

DoubleTap

Playing on the gamepad is still better then then playing on a 3ds right? I think I'm gonna do it.

If you don't have the CPP attachment for your 3DS then yes, the WiiU pad definitely superior.

I'd keep the 3DS version if I were you though. I personally would want to have the option to keep playing if I'm away. I have both and I find it very convenient.

Anteo

I just got this on WiiU. Hype!

jzbvLOL.jpg

If you don't have the CPP attachment for your 3DS then yes, the WiiU pad definitely superior.

I'd keep the 3DS version if I were you though. I personally would want to have the option to keep playing if I'm away. I have both and I find it very convenient.

maybe I will keep the 3ds version. thanks guys.

That Tank Tank Tank was the biggest waste of a download ever! You get to play for like 2 minutes in one game mode.

I'd cancel that right now if I were you.

Anteo

That Tank Tank Tank was the biggest waste of a download ever! You get to play for like 2 minutes in one game mode.

I'd cancel that right now if I were you.

MH was first on the list, but I accidentaly turn off the WiiU and got canceled (the second on the list was the MH patch). It's just 3 mins now, and I still need to do some work before I can play so...

Here's a question, has anyone played both MH3U and RE Revelations on 3DS and Wii U?

It seems like Revelations got the better treatment since on the back cover, you see the regular MT Framework logo and not the Mobile one, but on the MH3U cover, you see the Mobile logo.

Is there even any real difference? Does Revelations run better than MH3U on Wii U?

If MH4 is brought over, would it benefit them to use the regular MT Framework engine over keeping the Mobile one?

Mondriaan

It seems like Revelations got the better treatment since on the back cover, you see the regular MT Framework logo and not the Mobile one, but on the MH3U cover, you see the Mobile logo.

Is there even any real difference? Does Revelations run better than MH3U on Wii U?

If MH4 is brought over, would it benefit them to use the regular MT Framework engine over keeping the Mobile one?
I think that the Wii U is mostly running an emulation of the 3DS and where this is most evident is when you're running around on the desert island shoreline where you can see the water. The frame rate becomes really choppy and seems to drop into the teens.

It would certainly benefit *us* (the people buying the Wii U version), but it would probably be a more expensive effort for Capcom. It's not like there's a whole lot of incentive to make a version that takes advantage of the extra horsepower on the console, though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Here's a question, has anyone played both MH3U and RE Revelations on 3DS and Wii U?

MH3U is just a straight port of the 3DS version at a higher resolution. It seems obvious Revelations got a face lift during port.

I'd like capcom to put some effort into a Wii U port of MH4, but they know fully well that graphics are not why people care about MonHun. I mean, they're right. I'd certainly love a better looking MonHun, but we all recognize that we play it because the gameplay is stellar.

I'm not giving Capcom a free pass on this, but it's a credit to the series that it has such a rabid fanbase, despite its outdated visuals.

jzbvLOL.jpg

Sweet! If you've never played MH before, be sure to post in here about how to go about starting the game. Plenty of regulars posting in here. :)

Btw, now that my cap is lifted, I'm going to be helping lowbies tonight. Anyone who is low or high rank, please let me know what you need help with, and I will be happy to help you out!

One more quick question. Can my friend come over and play online with me? Me on the WiiU and him on his 3ds and we can play with our other friends?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
One more quick question. Can my friend come over and play online with me? Me on the WiiU and him on his 3ds and we can play with our other friends?

Afaik, if you two play together, you can only play in a port with other locally connected players. You cannot go into network mode.

Anteo

Sweet! If you've never played MH before, be sure to post in here about how to go about starting the game. Plenty of regulars posting in here. :)

Btw, now that my cap is lifted, I'm going to be helping lowbies tonight. Anyone who is low or high rank, please let me know what you need help with, and I will be happy to help you out!

Ty, MH3U is my first MH game, but I got the 3ds version too and I've been playing with friends, the other day got to HR2. I'd like to play online too, so I was hoping to play with gaffers.

thetrin

Ty, MH3U is my first MH game, but I got the 3ds version too and I've been playing with friends, the other day got to HR2. I'd like to play online too, so I was hoping to play with gaffers.

Sweet! I'm happy to help with some Low Rank quests tonight if you'd like. :) Would be cool to get you to High Rank tonight.

DoubleTap

Oh my. I've only Mark of the Hero left in the Village and I had no idea you needed to feed the Shaka twins! I've quite a few masks to level up then :-(

DoubleTap

Wait, what? I...did not know this either.

Yup, I just did a double take on Mondriaan's post above:

It's probably also a good idea to feed the shakas something since it boosts their stamina and helps level up their masks. Their dances take a few seconds to perform and basically anything can interrupt them, so I wouldn't rely on them in a pinch, particularly if the zone is full of small fry or has two bosses in it.

They will give up on their songs if they get interrupted more than once I think (probably because failing a song still costs them stamina), but if you are keeping the heat off them, they generally do an okay to good job with healing and buffing.

Kyzon

jzbvLOL.jpg

I had cash to burn, so I downloaded all the DLC.
The game is a fun arcade shooter. I feel like I'm missing out on not being in the arcade though.

Also, the system to upgrade tanks and stuff is kinda janky

Quadratic

OMG 35 and counting combined Rathalos and Azure Rathalos kills without any rubies. I've been wounding the head, chopping off the tail and knocking it out of flight... 1-4% drop rate SUCKS.

thetrin

OMG 35 and counting combined Rathalos and Azure Rathalos kills without any rubies. I've been wounding the head, chopping off the tail and knocking it out of flight... 1-4% drop rate SUCKS.

I'm usually incredibly unlucky with drop rates in games, but MH must love me. I usually get gems from 1-4% drops either by mistake, or within 10 kills.

CPCunha

I need help with the HR7 urgent quest (brachydios)...
anyone brave enough?

*2 spots on the team still... cmon hunterGAF

jercruz

I did S.Deviljho solo last night. I almost rage-quitted, not because I'm having a hard time with him but all my carves where just deviljho shards. even the tail. since I forgot to bring traps I had to kill it. good think it decided to give 1 crook at the rewards screen.

I joined a group of low-rank newbies. its nice seeing the reaction of new MH players to the game ("whoa a dragon punching... dragon!" [brachydios]). i just stayed quiet and observed. also equipped HH, so I can be more of a support role... That is until an HR97 player came in and called me out lol ("oh, i see that you already have an HR72 helping you... you guys should be fine then."). that newbie player was very lucky too, he gets rare items on drops/tail carves/rewards.

Top Bottom