• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

My game lost my guild cards for the 6th time last night. Man, I wish there were some better way to keep those backed up. It always from transferring my save from the 3DS to the Wii U.

I was close to actually getting a gold ticket this time.

Mondriaan

Well, then I'm glad I played well yesterday and didn't blamed myself (took several Azure Raths down when they flew), until I got disconnected. I don't want internet fame by dying stupidly. :p
Leeeeeeeroy Jenkins will forever be a legend, though. No one remembers who his teammates were.

Dragoshi1

For local MP with only 2 Hunters and 2 Shakas, how many Dragonator hits and harpoons would it take to kill Goldbeard? Without any physical weapon attacks on him? Impossible or possible?

For local MP with only 2 Hunters and 2 Shakas, how many Dragonator hits and harpoons would it take to kill Goldbeard? Without any physical weapon attacks on him? Impossible or possible?

You'd definitely have to bring a bunch yourself. You wouldn't be able to do it with the ammo provided in the level.

Dragoshi1

You'd definitely have to bring a bunch yourself. You wouldn't be able to do it with the ammo provided in the level.

Damn, that sucks. Not that harpoons are hard to come by, but I was hoping evading Goldbeard and landing every Dragonator and provided harpoons would be enough to kill him.

I'll also assume we cannot craft harpoons, so I'm gonna have to wait for the Captain to come back.

Damn, that sucks. Not that harpoons are hard to come by, but I was hoping evading Goldbeard and landing every Dragonator and provided harpoons would be enough to kill him.

I'll also assume we cannot craft harpoons, so I'm gonna have to wait for the Captain to come back.

Why are you so against attacking him? If you were to play online (4p), thats the best way to kill him. Dragonator helps, but isn't necessary. The ballistas are just good for breaking horns if your weapon isn't sharp enough

Narras

I don't think it's even possible to kill Goldbeard Ceadeus with only the ballista and the Dragonator. You wouldn't have enough ammo or time to wait for the Dragonator. If you attack him normally, you would use the Dragonator about two times before he dies. Once at the beginning and a second time near the end of the fight. You don't have to bring extra UW ballista ammo, either. For reference, I only play 2 player co-op.

Haunted

Oh Haunted, I just had the worst game. :(

I felt like logging in one more time, and I got into a G Rank Brachy room to farm more glowing slimes, and 2 of the hunters carted all three continues on the first Brachy within 5 minutes. :(

I just rage quitted after that. I will have to farm tomorrow. That group was just too infuriating.
Playing with GAFers has spoiled you. Random rooms are never the same after experiencing the glory of a GAF hunt. :D

That said, I think the game is even more fun if people are a bit sloppy and there's a bit of chaos. Having everything go perfectly coordinated every time gets boring quick. Hence why I don't really like going for the Arena leaderboards.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Playing locally in a group of four is the best experience. Japan knows what's up. I'm glad I have a party of three I can play with regularly in person. It's also a lot of fun when you're playing with new people and there's tons of chaos.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Playing locally in a group of four is the best experience. Japan knows what's up. I'm glad I have a party of three I can play with regularly in person. It's also a lot of fun when you're playing with new people and there's tons of chaos.

Oh yeah, local multiplayer is a blast. My friends and I have been playing basically every Friday for like three months now.

That said, I think the game is even more fun if people are a bit sloppy and there's a bit of chaos. Having everything go perfectly coordinated every time gets boring quick. Hence why I don't really like going for the Arena leaderboards.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you here...

was in a good group farming Gold Rathian last night. 5 minute and 13 second runs, on average, for 2 hours straight. I didn't find it boring in the least.

I also think after playing a with a good group for a duration, you start to expect your "team" to perform certain tasks at times the group becomes more efficient.

Dragoshi1

Why are you so against attacking him? If you were to play online (4p), thats the best way to kill him. Dragonator helps, but isn't necessary. The ballistas are just good for breaking horns if your weapon isn't sharp enough

My best raw weapon is my Deviljho SA followed by Narga SA, and Goldbeard moves around a bit too much for my liking. Plus, when I fought him, he abused his water lasers, mostly the sweeping one, and Goldbeard tends to move his entire body to a different position for firing.

I also cannot play online, as I'm on 3DS. It's local with a buddy on Wii U, as we're going through the guild stuff together.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My wife and I have beat Goldbeard with only the two of us a dozen times.. mostly at the end of HR, before we really started G. If I can manage with the short range of a hammer under water, you can manage with a Switch Axe. Avoiding the water laser is pretty easy if you're close to him, just hide behind him. If not, make sure you have a resistance to it, Nullberries and a Farcaster. Usually we only get one Dragnator in, but occasionally we will be slow and have it activate a second time. The second one always kills him for us.

I didn't even consider using Harpoons. What's the DPS for a Harpoon vs. rare damage from something like a 1000 power Switch Axe? I can't imagine it's dealing a lot more, is it?

My wife and I have beat Goldbeard with only the two of us a dozen times.. mostly at the end of HR, before we really started G. If I can manage with the short range of a hammer under water, you can manage with a Switch Axe. Avoiding the water laser is pretty easy if you're close to him, just hide behind him. If not, make sure you have a resistance to it, Nullberries and a Farcaster. Usually we only get one Dragnator in, but occasionally we will be slow and have it activate a second time. The second one always kills him for us.

I didn't even consider using Harpoons. What's the DPS for a Harpoon vs. rare damage from something like a 1000 power Switch Axe? I can't imagine it's dealing a lot more, is it?

i tried only harpooning a shark and that is like 12 hits to catch one of those. i can't imagine it's even worth a shot.

i think hes actually referring to the ballista shots

I play on the 3DS XL solo w/o CPP. I solo-ed all the way to where I am today, HR44. I used a slow weapon as well, hammer. Totally no hammer advantage of KO-ing Goldbeard.

That ion cannon is from the top or bottom is difficult to avoid. I just farcaster back to camp. Other than that, I just wail away at beard.

I farmed him lotsa times for those Selene parts as well.

You can do it! Don't give up!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
i tried only harpooning a shark and that is like 12 hits to catch one of those. i can't imagine it's even worth a shot.

i think hes actually referring to the ballista shots

Ah. Yeah, we use all the ballista shots available to us, but we don't bring extra. It might be a little faster if we did, but we do plenty of damage to him regardless.

also

Banned
you want the 2x brachy for palliums. no question

I would say ''A Cold Day in Hell'' is better. You get 2X 5% chaces to get B. Pallium in the quest rewards and it's much easier to murder 2 G. Baggi and 1 Brachy than two Brachy.
In comparison, Pallium has a 2% carve and capture rate, 1% from a shiny drop and 2X 1% chances for it to show up in the quest rewards of the ''Sticky Situation'' quest.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Playing with GAFers has spoiled you. Random rooms are never the same after experiencing the glory of a GAF hunt. :D

I actually agree with you. I've had some awesome random matches because it didn't go like clockwork. This match was just infuriating.

I would say ''A Cold Day in Hell'' is better. You get 2X 5% chaces to get B. Pallium in the quest rewards and it's much easier to murder 2 G. Baggi and 1 Brachy than two Brachy.
In comparison, Pallium has a 2% carve and capture rate, 1% from a shiny drop and 2X 1% chances for it to show up in the quest rewards of the ''Sticky Situation'' quest.

possibly, depending on the group, but if you carve the Brachys, thats 6x2% + 2x1%.

It would entirely depend on how fast the group could do 2x brachys vs A cold day in hell. The highest chance per run would still be the 2X brachy

Glasswork

I just got this game a few days ago and already I'm at like 15 hours in, this is gonna ruin my summer plans, isn't it? ;A;

Anyway, I still haven't touched multiplayer so can someone explain me how exactly it works? do I have to add people to play with them or can I just join a group like in WoW with the dungeon finder?

Currently I'm at the 3 star quests in Moga village, can I even do any multiplayer quests yet?

Yesterday I farmed GoldBeard for hours and did not get one Dark Dragongem, I only need one, so bummed maybe today will have better luck.

I farmed Gold Rathian for a total of 3.5 hours last night and didn't get one mantle if that makes you feel better.

Goldbeard was pretty nice to me, but I might go back and finish his other set of armor and a greatsword

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just got this game a few days ago and already I'm at like 15 hours in, this is gonna ruin my summer plans, isn't it? ;A;

Anyway, I still haven't touched multiplayer so can someone explain me how exactly it works? do I have to add people to play with them or can I just join a group like in WoW with the dungeon finder?

Currently I'm at the 3 star quests in Moga village, can I even do any multiplayer quests yet?

if you talk to Neko the samurai felyne by the boat on the left side of the village, you can go to Port Tanzia, which is where you do multiplayer quests.

Solo Port is where you do multiplayer quests on your own. Multiplayer Port is where you do port quests with local friends on a 3DS. Network Mode is where you play online.

You can just go to network mode, search for an applicable room, and join in!

Yesterday I farmed GoldBeard for hours and did not get one Dark Dragongem, I only need one, so bummed maybe today will have better luck.

I wish you could trade above Rare4. I'd love to just give you the dark dragongem I'm not using.

m0t0k1

So i just started today with the 3ds version of this game. Thanks to the Nintendo gift Monster Hunter campaign and i am really addicted to MH again. So i beat the great jaggi and bear thing already but my question is: is there a way to skip the monster dieing animation? I really liked that in the wii version give me a couple of seconds extra to carve and seeing a monster die for the 1000 time isnt that fun.

So i just started today with the 3ds version of this game. Thanks to the Nintendo gift Monster Hunter campaign and i am really addicted to MH again. So i beat the great jaggi and bear thing already but my question is: is there a way to skip the monster dieing animation? I really liked that in the wii version give me a couple of seconds extra to carve and seeing a monster die for the 1000 time isnt that fun.

there should be a skip button on the touch screen in the top right hand corner

if you talk to Neko the samurai felyne by the boat on the left side of the village, you can go to Port Tanzia, which is where you do multiplayer quests.

Solo Port is where you do multiplayer quests on your own. Multiplayer Port is where you do port quests with local friends on a 3DS. Network Mode is where you play online.

You can just go to network mode, search for an applicable room, and join in!

I wish you could trade above Rare4. I'd love to just give you the dark dragongem I'm not using.

I would love that, but alas not allowed to trade for it, tonight hopefully I will have a bit more luck, I plan on putting in the hours tonight till it drops!

I would love that, but alas not allowed to trade for it, tonight hopefully I will have a bit more luck, I plan on putting in the hours tonight till it drops!

It took me 50+ kills from stygian zinogre to get the last sky emerald I needed from him.

That mission is a ton of money though (75k+) so it wasn't so bad

And a ton of fun.

It's not bad, but I can't compare it to the fun of the Deviljho cage match.

macho1.gif

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I just fought my first Abyssal Lagiacrus and got a Dynamo. Bwahaha. This game loves me in terms of drop rates, unlike fucking Tri. I'm drowning in Mantles, Rubys, Gems and all manner of goodies.

so i just got two brach pallium in back to back volcano gathering runs lol.
Was just standing there waiting for brachy to kill me and he was dropping shinies left and right instead of one shotting me lol.

I'm not gonna lie...I got damn lucky with S.Zinogre Skyemerald. I only killed Stygian Zinogre twice...and each time in the reward screen, I got a Skyemerald.

However, I did farm 40+ Ivory Lagiacrus for a single Lagia Sapphire...

thetrin

I still need 4 more glowing slimes to make my Spectral Demolisher. Anyone up for some G Rank Brachy later tonight?

Also, I think I'm going to start carrying traps. I appreciate everyone else does that shit for me, but I really should pull my weight. lol

I guess noone is up for a run at the moment, I'll keep my eye on gaf tonight and see if anyone is up for a run!

Once I'm done my Brachy farming, I'll be happy to help out.

I have little faith that I will get the Dark Dragongem from Goldbeard again, just got done farming him at least 12 times, and got nothing but shards. BUMMED!

Wow..that's a lot of times! Do you use Ultra Lucky Cat, etc? Good luck to you!

I recall farming Goldbeard till I hear the music even when I'm not playing the game...LOL

Wow..that's a lot of times! Do you use Ultra Lucky Cat, etc? Good luck to you!

I recall farming Goldbeard till I hear the music even when I'm not playing the game...LOL

Definetly used Ultra, Crazy, and plain lucky every time and did the gem still didn't drop. It's all good though, I will give it a whirl for awhile again later, it's just a bummer the fight takes so long.

Kyzon

My game lost my guild cards for the 6th time last night. Man, I wish there were some better way to keep those backed up. It always from transferring my save from the 3DS to the Wii U.

I was close to actually getting a gold ticket this time.

Transfer your file to your 3DS, then delete all data on the Wii U version (go to the options menu and hold down L,R,X I think), then reset the wii u version, when it's turning on make sure to tell it to save extra data, then when transferring from 3DS back to Wii U, make sure you always tell it to save extra data.

This will fix that for ya :p

Nooooooo! I really wanted to see the one where he kept avoiding all our traps. Also, baby Jho.

lol we put down a total of 5 traps. Terrible XD

I wind up deleting data and it's fixed for a few days, then right back to it. After you affinity resets to 0, the damage is already done.

On a brighter note, after farming gold rathian for 3.5 hours and getting no mantles yesterday, my first run today yielded 2 mantles. Next run, another mantle, run 5, my fourth. I thought I was done so I closed my lobby and returned to the village where I crafted my gun lance and my suit of armor. I decided I should see if theres an upgrade to the rarity gunlance and what do you know? I need 2 more mantles.

NOOOO!

Top Bottom