• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Got my Spectral Demolisher!

Will be on in a little bit to play with gaffers if the stars see fit.

Kyzon

I wind up deleting data and it's fixed for a few days, then right back to it. After you affinity resets to 0, the damage is already done.

On a brighter note, after farming gold rathian for 3.5 hours and getting no mantles yesterday, my first run today yielded 2 mantles. Next run, another mantle, run 5, my fourth. I thought I was done so I closed my lobby and returned to the village where I crafted my gun lance and my suit of armor. I decided I should see if theres an upgrade to the rarity gunlance and what do you know? I need 2 more mantles.

NOOOO!

Hmm I haven't had any problems. Maybe you sometimes accidentally tell the game not to save extra data :p

Hmm I haven't had any problems. Maybe you sometimes accidentally tell the game not to save extra data :p

theres really no way to do that though. I think its when the two games become out of sync, however that is possible.

Its happened to me that many times. I've gotten my affinity to 30 at its highest point, only to be reset again.

no veggie rewards for me i guess

Kyzon

theres really no way to do that though. I think its when the two games become out of sync, however that is possible.

Its happened to me that many times. I've gotten my affinity to 30 at its highest point, only to be reset again.

no veggie rewards for me i guess

They should never become out of sync. I've had times whewre I had y sav eon my 3DS and changed the setting on the Wii U, then moved my data, and no problem.

Everytime you transfer to wii u it asks you if you'd like to save the extra data. If you accidentally press no then your data will be fucked until you delete all data on wii u and re-transfer again.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Are you a bad enough dude to do Jhen Mohran runs with thetrin? Clearly, if you're reading this, you are. Bad dudes are what MonHun is all about.

This weekend? Yeah, totally. Jhen Mohran. Let's do this shit.

m0t0k1

Wow time to upgrade my equipment again. I just arrived at Qurupeco and it took me a 40 minutes to kill it. Anybody got an advice on a good starters armor? I am still in the leather armor.

Fewr

If you're a blademaster then go for jaggi or wroggi armor, any of those two will last for a long long while.

One my lobby I created last night, my comment was

NO LS!

reminds me of this

images

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
One my lobby I created last night, my comment was

NO LS!

reminds me of this

images

I've had such bad luck with randoms lately. Mostly Dual Sword and Long Sword users. They will trip you like there's no tomorrow and they'll fail to cut anything off, or really deal as much damage as they should be.

Now if I join a random room and there are two DS and one LS, I just say 'nope, nope, nope'.

i4wkSA0vqfGzG.gif

DS/LS I know though are okay, since they can actually control themselves.

I explained to my friend that a good LS user isn't even noticeable. Like, he just blends into the ground texture. Unfortunately, LS users online don't know how to not break up the fun.

A few days ago after taking my 7th friendly fire hit from a long sword, I just went into super-crazy-gun-shot mode with my gunlance.

Fewr

I did solo the jaggi + volvidon quest until I had materials to craft both armors, then decided to use jaggi to make helios armor. You‘ll have to decide between helios x or helios z, or both, like I did.

I explained to my friend that a good LS user isn't even noticeable. Like, he just blends into the ground texture. Unfortunately, LS users online don't know how to not break up the fun.

A few days ago after taking my 7th friendly fire hit from a long sword, I just went into super-crazy-gun-shot mode with my gunlance.

I use a GS about 90% of the time, and even when I'm almost certain I'm alone when (for example) cutting a tail I'll avoid using my upswing just in the off chance it'll send someone flying. So it really scrapes my balls when I'm constantly getting knocked around by other players, especially if they're otherwise really good hunters.

That's why I keep a set of gunner armour built around God's Archipelago's crag and cluster rapid fire, with plenty of materials to make more shots. If I'm still getting knocked around after a few hunts (despite politely asking people to avoid using those attacks near everyone) then I switch to that set and just rapid fire explodey stuff indiscriminately. There's nothing quite as annoying as being launched by crag and cluster shots every time you get near to a monster, and it seems to get the message across that being launched really isn't that much fun.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes I'm in a hammer's user's space when he's working on a KO and it's totally my fault, and I really don't mind getting launched now and then, I find it quite funny most of the time and I don't normally take the game this seriously. But when you have an hour to play and you manage to get off about three decent hits on a monster because someone else just refuses the acknowledge other players, that can really crap up the feel of the game.

Kandinsky

If you are doing G rank, you should find a group online (if possible) to get the Helios set.

If not, anything with better defense will help a ton. Farm armor spheres to max your armor
3DS onry, but yeah I think I'll farm an early G set, will be hard to give up on my los skills tho D:
I did solo the jaggi + volvidon quest until I had materials to craft both armors, then decided to use jaggi to make helios armor. You‘ll have to decide between helios x or helios z, or both, like I did.
Actually, that sounds like a good plan!.

Thank you both.

Only a few rewards left to go, I'm thinking the gold crowns are going to be a nightmare to get. Does anyone have any advice for finding big/small monsters?

The only awards I have left are the two awards for gold crowns, the award for reaching HR 125 (121 at the moment) and the one for ten fully upgraded weapons of each type. So close!

Mondriaan

Only a few rewards left to go, I'm thinking the gold crowns are going to be a nightmare to get. Does anyone have any advice for finding big/small monsters?

The only awards I have left are the two awards for gold crowns, the award for reaching HR 125 (121 at the moment) and the one for ten fully upgraded weapons of each type. So close!
Prefer quests with multiple monsters since the game seems more inclined to making them weird sizes when there is more than a single boss in the quest. You're far more likely to see a giant ian or a giant los during an ian + los quest than a quest where you hunt just one of them.

Weird boss sizes also tend to happen to the random bosses that appear as a result of instability. This is probably your best bet for crown-sized trash level bosses like great jaggi and great baggi.

That's a good point actually, I've noticed quite a few big/small Greater Jaggis and Volvidons and what have you wandering around on unstable maps, thanks for the advice!

Trying to really get back into the swing of things after not playing at all in May. I just took down Diablos(solo) for the first time. Damn, he/she is such a pain. That stupid tail hits you everywhere, and it feels like it never sits still for more than a few seconds. Possibly the most frustrating fight for me so far. Are there any Diablo subspecies? If so I might have nightmares.

I'm still rocking a Barroth set and Plume Flint. What would you guys suggest as an upgrade? Are the armors available to me now worth upgrading to from what I have? Also, any suggestions on what to upgrade the Plume Flint to?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Trying to really get back into the swing of things after not playing at all in May. I just took down Diablos(solo) for the first time. Damn, he/she is such a pain. That stupid tail hits you everywhere, and it feels like it never sits still for more than a few seconds. Possibly the most frustrating fight for me so far. Are there any Diablo subspecies? If so I might have nightmares.

I'm still rocking a Barroth set and Plume Flint. What would you guys suggest as an upgrade? Are the armors available to me now worth upgrading to from what I have? Also, any suggestions on what to upgrade the Plume Flint to?

eX8WbsM.png

Black Diablos haunts your nightmares.

thetrin

I hate Black Diablos so so much. If I never have to fight her ever again, I'll be very happy.

m0t0k1

ugh Diablos i just can't fight those things Solo. When with 4 there is enough distraction but solo it just keeps attacking and attacking. can't even imagine what the black Diablos is like

thetrin

Almost got enough mats for my Grand Yamato gear. I've got all the rare mats out of the way, and I just need to grind for more regular mats.

So excited to build it. :D

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
ha! No wonder it's taking so long to beat this guy.

Stygian Zinogre is sooo freaking fun to fight....
Definitely, I think the last 30 hours I played the game were just fighting stiggy

Really want to get back into this and complete some runs but been busy with dark arisen

Got that right! Best hunt in the game... Unless you forget blight berries.
Just don't get hit ;)

Just got to the Ceadeus mission. I still have the Agnaktor mission as well. Any reason for doing one or the other? I'm not sure if Ceadeus triggers anything I can't go back on.

ugh Diablos i just can't fight those things Solo. When with 4 there is enough distraction but solo it just keeps attacking and attacking. can't even imagine what the black Diablos is like

Use sonic bomb when he's burrowed. Only works when he's not raged. Free hacks.
When's he waking from a sonic bomb, there's a small window where he's slightly floating. If you time a flash bomb to explode then, he'll fall back down and more free hacks.
Make him charge into a wall that he can get stuck on. Free hacks.
Shock trap works on him even when raged. Free hacks.

Best position for me when fighting Diablos is right in between his legs.

i don't play online with this one (3DS only) but back in the days of Tri I took great joy in punting errant LS users with the switchaxe uppercut.

Fewr

Dear gaffers: I‘ve never had complaints about my LSing techniques. If / when I get to hunt with you, please let me know if I'm getting in your way.

thetrin

Dear gaffers: I‘ve never had complaints about my LSing techniques. If / when I get to hunt with you, please let me know if I'm getting in your way.

With gaffers, imo, if you apologize and recognize you're getting in my kool-aid, then all is well. Sometimes it's just unavoidable, and sometimes it's just a mistake. if you say sorry, all is forgiven.

It's when people don't even notice they're being tripping shitheels that I get angry. The worst is being tripped, and then getting destroyed by the monster as I'm attempting to recover.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
With gaffers, imo, if you apologize and recognize you're getting in my kool-aid, then all is well. Sometimes it's just unavoidable, and sometimes it's just a mistake. if you say sorry, all is forgiven.

It's when people don't even notice they're being tripping shitheels that I get angry. The worst is being tripped, and then getting destroyed by the monster as I'm attempting to recover.

Oh god, I've had that happen. I hate that. I usually just "accidentally" launch them into a big attack as revenge.

Still farming Goldbeard, lucky and ultra lucky cat did me no good 4 more times this fine evening. I am so tired of farming for this dark dragongem, considering ditching Helios armor and trying for another.

Lizardus

So 40 Blackablos later and still no hard horns and I've been doing Plain Dangerous.

I guess I'll never get to make the HBG and the awakened lance.

thetrin

Oh god, I've had that happen. I hate that. I usually just "accidentally" launch them into a big attack as revenge.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure it was a total accident, but someone hit me with a hammer so hard I sailed over to the other side of the zone, but ended up passing right over a devastating AOE by the monster.

I thanked the hammer user shortly after. LOL

EDIT: Oh god, am I seriously only 3 Mohran shards away from my Grand Yamato set? Cripes!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So 40 Blackablos later and still no hard horns and I've been doing Plain Dangerous.

I guess I'll never get to make the HBG and the awakened lance.
Took me 42 combined black/normal before I got one from the triple regular blos advanced quest

Godspeed :(

Haunted

Alatreon - 50 sec - http://youtu.be/tJ-cWGuIdUE

The top comment. :lol
HR or not, that's just ridiculous.

Still farming Goldbeard, lucky and ultra lucky cat did me no good 4 more times this fine evening. I am so tired of farming for this dark dragongem, considering ditching Helios armor and trying for another.
I never went for Helios, fuck farming Goldbeard. Jaggi or Wroggi armour will suit you just fine starting out in G-rank.

I think my rank armour progression at that point was HR Agna -> G Wroggi -> Brachy -> Gold Rathian. And with Gold Rathian, you can do anything. Anything.

Top Bottom