• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Hattori

Banned
HR or not, that's just ridiculous.

I never went for Helios, fuck farming Goldbeard. Jaggi or Wroggi armour will suit you just fine starting out in G-rank.

I think my rank armour progression at that point was HR Agna -> G Wroggi -> Brachy -> Gold Rathian. And with Gold Rathian, you can do anything. Anything.

except eventacrus because you'll get OHKO'd

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure it was a total accident, but someone hit me with a hammer so hard I sailed over to the other side of the zone, but ended up passing right over a devastating AOE by the monster.

I thanked the hammer user shortly after. LOL

EDIT: Oh god, am I seriously only 3 Mohran shards away from my Grand Yamato set? Cripes!

That is awesome

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If that's the G rank one I hope you're playing as a female.

Male. I think the male version looks pretty awesome. Added benefit of goring someone when I fall forward!

Imo, farming Helios is mad helpful until you find a gear set you like. I'm so happy I built my Grand Yamato set. Now my shoulders are registered as deadly weapons.

Fewr

With gaffers, imo, if you apologize and recognize you're getting in my kool-aid, then all is well. Sometimes it's just unavoidable, and sometimes it's just a mistake. if you say sorry, all is forgiven.

It's when people don't even notice they're being tripping shitheels that I get angry. The worst is being tripped, and then getting destroyed by the monster as I'm attempting to recover.

The thing is, I have never noticed when I do it. People hammering are fine since they go for head and I for tail, after I've chopped tail I go for anywhere I can hit, but for great sword we go for the same spot and I know LS can get messy when you have less than 10secs to do the super combo and advance/keep the level of damage (when that happens I don't care, I just go for the hits).

CGD2-59729.jpg

CGD2-59729_09.jpg

Monster Hunter x electroys - Meat Cooking Timer

I have no idea whether to praise it as a kitchen timer or not XD

that was pretty remarkable. I should probably get around to fighting him.

Got 5 out of 6 mantles from gold rathian. It's so hard to find good help certain days.

I'm thinking about getting back into using a hammer. Is Brachy maxed the best all-around hammer?

I'm thinking about getting back into using a hammer. Is Brachy maxed the best all-around hammer?

If you've got an armor mix with Awaken / Bombardier / Sharpness +1 then the Grongigas Hammer is clearly superior. 1508 raw (1451 if you take into account the affinity malus), 400 slime (480 with Bombardier), +25 Defence bonus.

If you've got an armor mix with Awaken / Bombardier / Sharpness +1 then the Grongigas Hammer is clearly superior. 1508 raw (1451 if you take into account the affinity malus), 400 slime (480 with Bombardier), +25 Defence bonus.

Thanks to my awesome talisman, awaken is very easy for me to gem into. Unfortunately, sharpness + 1 is next to impossible (still can't get a handicraft talisman after 8 worn weapons in the volcano)

I only mention the Brachy hammer after getting a random pallium yesterday in one run. It's either going to go to a hammer or the great sword.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just finishing up High Rank at the moment and I've got a whole suite of elemental hammers I've been using. I've got Fire, Ice and Water and I'm debating if I should make a Thunder one as well.

Thanks to my awesome talisman, awaken is very easy for me to gem into. Unfortunately, sharpness + 1 is next to impossible (still can't get a handicraft talisman after 8 worn weapons in the volcano)
Well you don't even need a talisman… there are many G-rank armor mixes that give you Awaken / Sharpness +1 / Bombardier without a talisman. For example:

Helios Helm Z
Yamato Doate Prime
Helios Vambraces X
Y. Koshiate Prime
Artian Greaves X
-----------------
No talisman needed
-----------------
1x Catalyst Jewel 3
1x Handicraft Jwl 3
5x Bombardier Jwl 1

You can also get Awaken / Sharpness +1 / Bombardier / HG Earplugs with a reasonable talisman (any 3-slotted talisman):
Helios Helm Z
Yamato Doate Prime
Helios Vambraces X
Helios Coil X
Artian Greaves X
-----------------
OOO
-----------------
2x Earplug Jewel 3
1x Handicraft Jwl 3
5x Bombardier Jwl 1

And if you've got a good talisman you can even add one extra skill, such as Partbreaker in this case:
Helios Helm Z
Helios Mail X
Helios Vambraces X
Helios Coil X
Helios Greaves X
-----------------
+4 Handicraft OO-
-----------------
1x Catalyst Jewel 3
5x Bombardier Jwl 1
1x Earplug Jewel 1
2x Destroyer Jwl 1

i dont have any yamato or artisan. who do you have to kill for those?

i do try to make every G rank armor, though I don't think I want Dire Moralis's armor

+4 handicraft OO is impossible on charm table 10. I haven't gotten 1 handicraft talisman yet

i dont have any yamato or artisan. who do you have to kill for those?

+4 handicraft OO is impossible on charm table 10. I haven't gotten 1 handicraft talisman yet

+4 Handicraft OO is on table 10. Do you have Windows? You can use Athena's Armor Set Search to find all the possible talismans on table 10 that can give you a Sharpness +1 / Awaken / Bombardier / HG Earplugs / Partbreaker set.

Artian = Hunting Fleet fragments and Yamato = Jhen Mohran.

I can vouch for Grongigas Hammer. With Awaken, Sharpness +1, Bombardier...this hammer is a fucking monster! The 3x G-rank Barioth (that i use to farm xp), took me less than 10 mins each time.

Why is it worth it? Honestly curious,first time hunter.

Yes. I'm using Helios Z helm, Z chest, Z gauntlets, X waist and Artian greaves. With +3 FreeElement charm and decoration, I get Sharpness +1, Awaken, Bombardier and High Grade Earplugs. Extremely good setup for the Grongigas Hammer. Grongigas Hammer absolutely needs the Sharpness +1 and Awaken to see it's full power.

Midnight Aeternum (the Narga Hammer), already has purple sharpness, thus Sharpness +1 is useless on it. So it really depends on what you're using.

+4 Handicraft OO is on table 10. Do you have Windows? You can use Athena's Armor Set Search to find all the possible talismans on table 10 that can give you a Sharpness +1 / Awaken / Bombardier / HG Earplugs / Partbreaker set.

i had it and thought i searched and only found +3. Either way, i've been trying to no avail to get a talisman for sharpness +1. Would make the narga G rank armor a bit more useable IMO.

I got an awaken + 7, but can't get that one.

I feel so lost when I play this game, like I'm just wandering around aimlessly.

I need more hand-holding I guess. I finished up the 2 star quests and I don't know if I should start work on crafting some stuff.. what to craft, etc.

I really enjoy the game I just need some direction.

I need more hand-holding I guess. I finished up the 2 star quests and I don't know if I should start work on crafting some stuff.. what to craft, etc.

find a weapon set you like, and just craft everything you can. if you aren't "taken" by any specific weapon type, try a bunch. one will eventually grab you

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Do you know which weapon type you want to use? You're given a low level version of every variant in your box when you start. You won't really be able to start upgrading much until you're fighting large monsters (which you should be doing soon), but you could make some new armour if you've been mining a bit.

The beginning is very slow paced and doesn't give you a lot of direction outside of the boring quest. Once you start fighting a bit more, it'll probably click with you.

I tried all the blades, and found Switch Axe to be my go to, powerful but not to slow.

On another note for those of you listening to me whine for the whole week, I finally got a Dark Dragongem so I can complete my Helios Z set!

I tried all the blades, and found Switch Axe to be my go to, powerful but not to slow.

On another note for those of you listening to me whine for the whole week, I finally got a Dark Dragongem so I can complete my Helios Z set!

I'd advise going with the X waist. That way you won't have to deal with the dullness

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is there ever a reason to kill if I can cap?

Totally. Some creatures, like Nargacuga, actually give a better yield through carve than cap.

Yay! Congrats!

I just finished my Grand Yamato gear last night. I have the most ridiculous shoulders now.

Totally. Some creatures, like Nargacuga, actually give a better yield through carve than cap.

This is mostly true, but again, it comes down to what you're after. The rewards for carving are from a different table that for capping. Some of those items overlap. Some are only contained in one table and not the other.

In the narga case, I believe you are talking about mantles, right? If that's the case, I agree. You always want to kill.

thetrin

This is mostly true, but again, it comes down to what you're after. The rewards for carving are from a different table that for capping. Some of those items overlap. Some are only contained in one table and not the other.

In the narga case, I believe you are talking about mantles, right? If that's the case, I agree. You always want to kill.

Yeah. When I say "better" yields, I'm looking squarely at the rarest items in the table.

Technomancer, if you're ever curious if you should cap or kill a creature, check kiranico.com. They list drop rates for mats via carve and cap.

thetrin

I assumed that, but some of the newer players wouldn't have gotten what I did from your post.

Yeah, I probably should have clarified.

How often does Granny Go-to change up her stock? I need to buy a whole whackload of armor stones from her.

Mondriaan

Yeah, I probably should have clarified.

How often does Granny Go-to change up her stock? I need to buy a whole whackload of armor stones from her.
She changes her stock after every quest. You might be lucky/unlucky and end up with the same stock as the quest before.

if you are in the market, check after EVERY quest. If you are sick of waiting that long (or forgetting) you can start up one of the exploration/farm missions, abandon, then check.

you can also do that if you are looking for a specific advanced quest that gets rotated

I really really hate lagiacrus...

When I need harddhorns he gives me horn+, when I freaking need horn+ he gives me regular horns...

And fighting him underwater is a fucking PITA

Chuckpebble

I really really hate lagiacrus...

When I need harddhorns he gives me horn+, when I freaking need horn+ he gives me regular horns...

And fighting him underwater is a fucking PITA

Do you have any lances or gunlances? I used to really loath him in Tri when all I used were bowgun, GS and SnS. Turtling him with gunlance underwater in 3U is a dream.

Do you have any lances or gunlances? I used to really loath him in Tri when all I used were bowgun, GS and SnS. Turtling him with gunlance underwater in 3U is a dream.

nah fighting him is a pain but i never have trouble beating him. It's the goddamn horns that kill my sanity

thetrin

I still think Helios Z with the Helios X waist is a great, solid armor set for G Rank until you find the set you want. Sharpness +1 and HG Earplugs? I mean, come on.

not sure why i said charm table 10. I'm actually on table 8. That's probably why i said it wasnt possible

Top Bottom