• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Fewr

Thanks for the hunts, I was super scared after that diablos had killed me twice, I'm glad we managed to beat all of them.

Btw, regarding g-rank black diablos, is there anything I can do when it is underground and shakes the ground beneath me? (other than bringing a tremor res armor)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Man, playing quests way above my rank with my friends has given me really excellent dodging skills

Oh, also, the Desire Sensor was kind tonight. A friend was describing the hunting horn you get from Rust/Ancientshards and I was like "that sounds so cool I will do anything to get one" and then I kid you not fifteen minutes later on a harvest tour in the volcano I got one.

m0t0k1

Use sonic bomb when he's burrowed. Only works when he's not raged. Free hacks.
When's he waking from a sonic bomb, there's a small window where he's slightly floating. If you time a flash bomb to explode then, he'll fall back down and more free hacks.
Make him charge into a wall that he can get stuck on. Free hacks.
Shock trap works on him even when raged. Free hacks.

Best position for me when fighting Diablos is right in between his legs.

Thanks for the tips. I normally just play MHtri i never looked anything up. i made it to the althereon online. Played about 120 hoursl. But now i am playing it on the 3ds and started looking things up just defeated the Gobul. I am using a lance and still don't know how to counter . Speaking about the Gobul I want to cut its lantern should i use another weapon then lance i have a hard time hitting the lantern or tails for the matter.

Fewr

Now that I‘m G-Rank, I‘m thinking of switching to a support oriented role with HH. What is a good standard HH, and what should I aim for?
HHers are super useful yet super rare to see.

Beats

Now that I‘m G-Rank, I‘m thinking of switching to a support oriented role with HH. What is a good standard HH, and what should I aim for?
HHers are super useful yet super rare to see.

Here's some useful links:
Hunting Horn Song Table
Hunting Horn Weapon Chart

Anyway, the Stygian Tristitia HH is a great general use horn. You can make it starting from Usurper's Growl. It has Attack Boost (L) and Knockback Protection (Prevents knockback from other hunters' attacks except for the ones that would send you flying). You'll need Zinogre and Stygian Zinogre parts to make this one. I used the Rinforzato horn which also has Attack Boost (L) before I got the Stygian Tristitia, since it was easier to make.

There's the Bloodfreezer(Paralysis)/Darkest Coffin(Poison) Hunting Horns that have Negate Stamina Use (L), Defense Boost (L) and a few other buffs. You can also go for either the Imperilude or Soldier's Snarfonica for Health Recovery (L) and Hearing Protection (L). I alternate between these depending on what I'm fighting or what weapons other hunters have. Though I mostly just use the Stygian Tristitia.

If you don't mind fishing you can try and get the Gold/Lunar Chordmaker Horn once you reach HR8+. I think they're the only horns that let you negate all abnormal statuses.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fewr, I love that you're switching to HH. We need more HH users in the G Rank group.

Haunted

Anyone online right now?

I took a break for a couple days and don't want to get too rusty.

Also, what's the difference between a yellow and a green checkmark on a quest list in the guild? Adv quests done or not done?

Fewr

I'll be around for a while, post here if you make a room.

Edit: sorry, I had no idea your friend was trying to get in. I'm doing my HR 7 stuff, so I didn't mind leaving.

Haunted

I joined yours ^^

Time to hunt! :D

edit: gracious of Fewr to sit this one out, but you could've stayed! Oh well, the room is now full. :)

CPCunha

Had the best hunting session today with some GAFpals... Thank you Haunted and Shin and Lithe for helping me teach Miralis a strict lesson on food-chain.

HunterGAF is the best GAF.

I got my first rustshard earlier today. I've heard them mentioned enough to know they're useful, but I'm not sure for what, exactly.

I beat Ceadeus today and moved onto HR. Woo! In my fight with him I got a Deep Dragongem. With that out of the way so easily, is it worth getting that armor?

Also, I just fought a Purple Ludroth for the first time in Misty Peaks. What a beautiful area and also a cool fight(I like the Ludroth design a lot). I might go for that hammer just for fun. I took a pretty serious ass kicking in that fight, but I bet my next one will be a lot smoother. I didn't expect it to do so much rolling and kept running in with a charged hammer only to get crushed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I got my first rustshard earlier today. I've heard them mentioned enough to know they're useful, but I'm not sure for what, exactly.

I beat Ceadeus today and moved onto HR. Woo! In my fight with him I got a Deep Dragongem. With that out of the way so easily, is it worth getting that armor?

Also, I just fought a Purple Ludroth for the first time in Misty Peaks. What a beautiful area and also a cool fight(I like the Ludroth design a lot). I might go for that hammer just for fun. I took a pretty serious ass kicking in that fight, but I bet my next one will be a lot smoother. I didn't expect it to do so much rolling and kept running in with a charged hammer only to get crushed.

Yea that can be a rough fight without decent gear. First thing you should do is pick a HR set from the next group of quests and make it, it'll make the whole thing a lot easier going forward.

Fewr

Lucky lucky man. I had to fight the HR version of it about 20-30 times to get one. EDIT: Ah no, wait, those are rare, but I struggled with another rare named Dark Dragongem.
I say keep it because you'll need it for the G Rank version of the armor. For now decide which HR armor suits you. I used Wroggi first, then briefly Gigginox (not worth the time invested) then settled on Volvidon and used that throughout all single and multiplayer HR until I reached the final part of HR (mark of a hero).

Haunted

Had the best hunting session today with some GAFpals... Thank you Haunted and Shin and Lithe for helping me teach Miralis a strict lesson on food-chain.

HunterGAF is the best GAF.
gmT7i.gif

Those were some damn good hunts.

Personal highlight of the evening was the MLG 360 noscope flash bomb on a fleeing Sand Barioth. Beautiful moment.

Yea that can be a rough fight without decent gear. First thing you should do is pick a HR set from the next group of quests and make it, it'll make the whole thing a lot easier going forward.

It was. I did finish the fight but I carted twice and used 10 Mega Potions and 10 Antidotes, haha. Not my proudest fight but I took it down with less than 5 minutes. But yeah, looking forward to kicking its ass.

Lucky lucky man. I had to fight the HR version of it about 20-30 times to get one. EDIT: Ah no, wait, those are rare, but I struggled with another rare named Dark Dragongem.
I say keep it because you'll need it for the G Rank version of the armor. For now decide which HR armor suits you. I used Wroggi first, then briefly Gigginox (not worth the time invested) then settled on Volvidon and used that throughout all single and multiplayer HR until I reached the final part of HR (mark of a hero).

Cool, I'll hang onto it, then. I'll look through the quests and see which armor I want to make and tackle it.

Edited for stupidity.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Going to log in in a few. Really want to do a couple HR canteen missions I missed while making a beeline for G Rank.

Anyone up for that?

Actually, nevermind. I forgot I have some gem and armor sphere farming to do.

thetrin

Did the server just kick all of us, or just me? I can't tell. :(

thetrin

Mmm, 620 DEF. There's something so sexy about DEF over 600. Mmmm MMMMMM.

Fewr

Thanks for the hunts yesterday, MonHun GAF is amazing, so much that it only does crazy advanced quests.

---

EDIT: And so, my quest now for a Rathalos mantle has begun..

Qurupeke

Holy god, I just found out that armor stones were buyable to the Granny. I bought about 500 of them. :eek: Now I almost hsve an unlimited supply of tru armor spheres. And I spend about 800.000 zennies in 5 minutes. I fully upgraded my Hallowed Jhen armor! :p

Thanks for the hunts yesterday, MonHun GAF is amazing, so much that it only does crazy advanced quests.

---

EDIT: And so, my quest now for a Rathalos mantle has begun..

I didn't get a chance to thank you for so gracefully making room for my friend. So, thanks!

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Its early days for me compared to you veterans but the feeling of accomplishment when I downed the Great Jaggi moments ago was amazing. Absolutely love the gunlance too that shield up stab has saved my arse more than a few times already.

Quick question re armour spheres I have ten or so now from blacksmith gifts and early mining. Should I save them or start using them straight away?

Late last night I wanted to play a quest or two and just went for something that seemed quick and easy: kill 10 Jaggia in HR. Then Deviljho showed up and I was like :-o

What a mean monster. Very aggressive and just plain menacing. It's like a t-rex and an alligator copulated, and their deed was recognized by some god of evil shit, who then blessed it with the ability to spew dark magic when it's anger gets beyond the baseline of "I'll fucking eat you."

I tried to battle the creature and lost. Still, I put up a damn good fight and actually thought I was going to take it down. The fight had a really great rhythm to it(hammer user) but once I lost that it went downhill fast. Is it worth farming at all now? I took it to be the equivalent of seeing Lagiacrus for the first time. I love the 'oh shit' feeling of a big monster showing up like that.

thetrin

Post here when you're playing online, we might come and lend a hand.

Indeed. I'm happy to lend a hand, too.

In other news, I bought an assload of armor stones from Granny and made like, a billion tru armor spheres. My Grand Yamato armor is up to 652 DEF. :V

I was so happy when she finally started selling them. I'd been trying all evening.

Its early days for me compared to you veterans but the feeling of accomplishment when I downed the Great Jaggi moments ago was amazing. Absolutely love the gunlance too that shield up stab has saved my arse more than a few times already.

Quick question re armour spheres I have ten or so now from blacksmith gifts and early mining. Should I save them or start using them straight away?
Use them. Low level armor spheres can be mined fairly easily.

The ones that are going to be a bitch and a half are tru armor spheres, and you won't need them until G Rank.

Anteo

So ceadus, I need to repel it. He gets to area 3 and I lose. Anyway to slow him down or trap him? Do I just need to deal enough damage?

Top Bottom