• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

tuffy

So ceadus, I need to repel it. He gets to area 3 and I lose. Anyway to slow him down or trap him? Do I just need to deal enough damage?
As I recall, you've got to break his beard before area 3, and break his horns before time runs out. And damage accumulates between runs, so don't quit if you fail the mission; just keep trying until you chase him off.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh man, I upgraded my Brachy hammer with some G-Rank components I got with friends and now all of the high-rank monsters die in about ten minutes. Its awesome

Fewr

Questions:

1. Normal Rathalos, does it have a blue line on its back? I remember it's all red, but a while ago I fought one with a bit of blue on its back.
2. What's the best way to get a Rathalos Mantle? (that does not involve tickets)
3. Is there any way to quick sell stuff from my box? Any tips on what I should get rid of first? I'm dangerously close to running out of space.

today must have been my lucky day. Was farming zinogre for the emerald and tried the lv 7 hunt 2 zinogre one. I actually got 3 jaspers from the match, 2 in the rewards and one shiny. Was a bit sad I didn't get the emerald but then i check chacha with the melynx mask and he gets me one.

taybul

Questions:

1. Normal Rathalos, does it have a blue line on its back? I remember it's all red, but a while ago I fought one with a bit of blue on its back.
2. What's the best way to get a Rathalos Mantle? (that does not involve tickets)
3. Is there any way to quick sell stuff from my box? Any tips on what I should get rid of first? I'm dangerously close to running out of space.

1. That was probably Azure Rathalos. He's a subspecies that has a few more moves from regular Rath and tends to stay airborn a little longer.
2. Like most rare items, your best bet would be to do advanced quests with your target pinata. Go for the advanced 3 Rathaloses when you see it. Also look here: http://kiranico.com/item/rathalos-mantle
3. Sounds like you haven't bought the books that increase your storage size. Talk with the vendor and look for the "Pack rat guide" and another that increase your capacity.

The Technomancer

As much as I love the monster designs in this game, and I really really do, I hope in the future we can get a few more monsters that are based on various animals like Peco and Azuros, and a few less variations on lizards, dragons, and dinosaurs

Alrus

So I ended up fighting a Pink Rathian who never used her Fire Bite attack, just the regular one, is that normal?

1. That was probably Azure Rathalos. He's a subspecies that has a few more moves from regular Rath and tends to stay airborn a little longer.
2. Like most rare items, your best bet would be to do advanced quests with your target pinata. Go for the advanced 3 Rathaloses when you see it. Also look here: http://kiranico.com/item/rathalos-mantle
3. Sounds like you haven't bought the books that increase your storage size. Talk with the vendor and look for the "Pack rat guide" and another that increase your capacity.

I doubt he confused Azure rathalos with a normal one tbh...

Also you can go in your box, go to the "manage box item" menu (or smth like that) and there's a sell option.

Fewr

I was actually doing the 3xRathalos advanced HR7 quest, and all three of them were red, but with a blue line on their back, it began at the head and went all the way until the tip of the tail.

I do have those books I think, I've got 10 pages in my box.

EDIT: As for the mantle, I think I can wait until HR8 to increase my chances and the number of rooms dedicated to farming mantles doing silver and gold raths.

la_briola

Hey MHgaf! This is my first MH and I'm lv6 offline and hr3 online. LS user.
Any tipps for what I should go in my armor skills?
Is there a recommend set or should I mix items for some "needed" skills?

Fewr

1. Let us know when you're about to go online to see if there's anyone free to come meet you. You'll get to see how fantastic MonHun GAF is.

2. I think you should just look at the skills and see what fits your playstyle the most. I am a LongSworder too and I found the HR Volvidon set to be very effective because of the Evasion + 2 I got from the armor + decorations and talismans; another skill useful for LS is Focus. Finally, in my experience, mixmatching is not important until G-Rank.

taybul

I was actually doing the 3xRathalos advanced HR7 quest, and all three of them were red, but with a blue line on their back, it began at the head and went all the way until the tip of the tail.

I do have those books I think, I've got 10 pages in my box.

EDIT: As for the mantle, I think I can wait until HR8 to increase my chances and the number of rooms dedicated to farming mantles doing silver and gold raths.

There are gold rathians, not rathaloses.

la_briola

1. Let us know when you're about to go online to see if there's anyone free to come meet you. You'll get to see how fantastic MonHun GAF is.

2. I think you should just look at the skills and see what fits your playstyle the most. I am a LongSworder too and I found the HR Volvidon set to be very effective because of the Evasion + 2 I got from the armor + decorations and talismans; another skill useful for LS is Focus. Finally, in my experience, mixmatching is not important until G-Rank.

1. Nice I'm online right now, but in a random lobby. If someone from here wants to play I'm all up for that!

2. Sounds good, I'll look into that, thanks!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Fuck how do I hit Black Diablos? His attacks seem to hit all around him and he never stops attacking

Yea, I hate that asshole. When he goes rage mode I just wait him out or trick him into charging a wall. Other than that just watch the tail, it'll do two swishes and then you can charge into his legs. Go in from the side though, just under his wings, the horns can't get you there.

The Technomancer

So how do I actually unlock G-Rank in Moga village? I've done all the 9 star quests and the Ivory Lagi and Deviljhoe quests, but I still have a couple 8 star ones incomplete, do I need to finish them as well?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So how do I actually unlock G-Rank in Moga village? I've done all the 9 star quests and the Ivory Lagi and Deviljhoe quests, but I still have a couple 8 star ones incomplete, do I need to finish them as well?

Moga has no G Rank. It's all Port.

Don't worry. You'll do fine since you solo all the way to Moga Village 9*. In fact, with High Rank gears, you'll breeze through Port Tanzia's quest easily even when solo....until you hit G-rank.

The Technomancer

Don't worry. You'll do fine since you solo all the way to Moga Village 9*. In fact, with High Rank gears, you'll breeze through Port Tanzia's quest easily even when solo....until you hit G-rank.

Oh I'm already at G-Rank in port, I play locally with friends every week. But I need to farm some G-Rank armors and I'm not looking forward to doing it solo

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Fuck how do I hit Black Diablos? His attacks seem to hit all around him and he never stops attacking
Sonic bombs when it goes underground! FREE HITS! I don't think it works when she's enraged though.

Btw, I have to ask about some advice. Looking for a HR armor set to replace my Arzuros S to supplement my Dios Slicers +, I'm looking at the Brachy set but am open to suggestion.

explodet

Oh yay. So not only is it all more difficult for being G-Rank but if I want to do it solo its also balanced for four players?
I believe Port Quests are balanced for 2 players. Plus in solo you'll have the shakabros backing you up, so you won't be targeted nonstop.

They will tend to die on you a lot if they can't take too many hits, though. In G-Rank they can spend a lot of time dead.

Hey all, I'm up to 8* quests in offline (sadly my girl has seemed to lost interest and we both have the 3DS versions).

But I'm mainly a Long Sword user, tried other weapons and this just 'clicks'. My question is what is a good armor set to go for Long Sword? I lucked out and have to Rath Ruby's if I want to go that route, but I have had terrible luck with Wyvern Stones to upgrade my weapons (Soundeater/Barb Blade) so I figured I'd look around for armor, but still having lower tiered armor, they ALL look good and some of the skills I'm not sure of though.

Thanks!

Grongigas Hammer..hands down.

Get Sharpness +1 and Awaken for maximum imbaness.

My set is Helios Z helm, Helios Z chest, Helios Z gauntlets, Helios X waist, Artian Greaves and a FreeElement +3 charm.

I get Sharpness +1, Awaken, High Grade Earplugs, Bombardier. After bonuses from meal, my raw damage is 1622 and 520 slime...with 680 defense.

I have a different set for fighting Lucent Narga. Similar to the above, but I use Onslaught for the ice instead....and gemmed up for Evasion +1 instead of Bombardier.

Grongigas Hammer..hands down.

Get Sharpness +1 and Awaken for maximum imbaness.

My set is Helios Z helm, Helios Z chest, Helios Z gauntlets, Helios X waist, Artian Greaves and a FreeElement +3 charm.

I get Sharpness +1, Awaken, High Grade Earplugs, Bombardier. After bonuses from meal, my raw damage is 1622 and 520 slime...with 680 defense.

ugg those long fragments suck!

I fight lucent with my gunlance.

Fewr

Hey all, I'm up to 8* quests in offline (sadly my girl has seemed to lost interest and we both have the 3DS versions).

But I'm mainly a Long Sword user, tried other weapons and this just 'clicks'. My question is what is a good armor set to go for Long Sword? I lucked out and have to Rath Ruby's if I want to go that route, but I have had terrible luck with Wyvern Stones to upgrade my weapons (Soundeater/Barb Blade) so I figured I'd look around for armor, but still having lower tiered armor, they ALL look good and some of the skills I'm not sure of though.

Thanks!
It's better to upgrade weapons than to craft armor, the reason behind that is that armor expires (at least until G rank) while weapons keep improving.

Volvidon armor was good enough for me for all of moga and port high rank, I was able to use talisman and decorations for evasion +2 on it.

Fewr

Given how little time a LS has to retreat when Lagia does the electricity field thing (the quick and the long one) I think my best bet would be to use ahunting horn that can heal me, that way I could go in, hit, get hit, retreat, heal, repeat.

Chuckpebble

Given how little time a LS has to retreat when Lagia does the electricity field thing (the quick and the long one) I think my best bet would be to use ahunting horn that can heal me, that way I could go in, hit, get hit, retreat, heal, repeat.

I was using my just completed full Narga gunlance set for my first attempt. All that evasion didn't make up for the horrible thunder resistance. I did pretty well with just my Ingot gunner set, so I decided I'd forge something to help me deal with A. Rathalos and Brachydios better.

Top Bottom