• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

2 out of 3 Artian pieces done. Only need large fragments and I'm gold

images

tuffy

Fuck? Is this for real?
Though I'm not sure about the variable part, the Wii U version does have a noticeably smaller framerate than its 3DS counterpart in exchange for a big improvement in detail. It's a little surprising and I'm still not sure which I prefer after bouncing back and forth a few times.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I rarely notice the slow down on Wii U, although it's definitely not a locked and lovely framerate like the 3DS. Usually if there is slow down, it's four hunters on the screen with two giant monsters.

Lizardus

Got the new event Switch Axe, Dragon's Roar.

1196 Raw, 120 Ice, Purple with S+1 and 3 Slots and a Power phial.

Its pretty awesome.

Requires 5 tickets, some narga and zin stuff and 5 meldspar ore.

Fuck? Is this for real?

Yeah, that seems pretty accurate. Depends what's on screen and where, but you'll see a shift in framerate at times from what's probably 30 to something like 45-60. Locked 60 would be amazing because the monsters are so well animated, but it looks fine as it is.

I'm going to take on Crimson Quru for the first time later. I'm expecting it to be a real asshole. Also, I just had my first dual fight(Azuros) and loved it. I got smacked around for a minute or two until I got my bearings on watching them both. I still have the 6* quest with Barroth and Rathian, which is kinda intimidating since the Rath team are both tough fighters. Damn poison tail whip.

Chuckpebble

I'm going to take on Crimson Quru for the first time later. I'm expecting it to be a real asshole. Also, I just had my first dual fight(Azuros) and loved it. I got smacked around for a minute or two until I got my bearings on watching them both. I still have the 6* quest with Barroth and Rathian, which is kinda intimidating since the Rath team are both tough fighters. Damn poison tail whip.

Just did a crimson quru this morning. I got him about 5 times in a row with sonic bombs when he was trying to heal himself. Make sure and bring them along, they are super handy.

For double monsters, I like to lock the target cam on whichever one I'm not fighting. Don't know if you use that or not, but I've found it a rather helpful trick.

Just did a crimson quru this morning. I got him about 5 times in a row with sonic bombs when he was trying to heal himself. Make sure and bring them along, they are super handy.

For double monsters, I like to lock the target cam on whichever one I'm not fighting. Don't know if you use that or not, but I've found it a rather helpful trick.

Thanks. I'll be sure to bring sonic bombs for the fight. I didn't use lock on like that but it's probably useful. I just didn't give Azuros much thought because while fun they aren't very tough.

It's better to upgrade weapons than to craft armor, the reason behind that is that armor expires (at least until G rank) while weapons keep improving.

Volvidon armor was good enough for me for all of moga and port high rank, I was able to use talisman and decorations for evasion +2 on it.

Cool, thanks! I'm having a hell of a time upgrading my weapons unfortunately. I need Two Wyvern Stones and have seen 0 in all the different quests and such that seem to have a 5% drop.

Going to try the triple Gigg fight with a hammer called Ice Crusher (new to Hammer, just made it last night) to break his tail, supposedly the break tail on Giggi offers a 5% change and if I can kill 3 I have a few chances at them.

I really hate the drop rate in this game. I'm unsure why they make it so abysmally small for some things, it just doesn't really make sense to me.

tuffy

Cool, thanks! I'm having a hell of a time upgrading my weapons unfortunately. I need Two Wyvern Stones and have seen 0 in all the different quests and such that seem to have a 5% drop.
Going by the GameFAQs carve guide percentages, the 7 star "Splash Damage" Plesioth village quest has one of the best chances of getting Wyvern Stones. Between the body carves and quest rewards, it works out to ~33% chance of getting at least one per run. That's not too awful and I don't find Plesioth especially hard to beat.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sometimes when I am mid-fight online everyone just disappears. I take it I am being disconnected, is this common?

It usually means the server died. It's fucking annoying, and it's way more common than it should be.

I'm probably going to log on tonight for general hunting (G Rank preferably). If I see a room up I'll join in.

Going to try the triple Gigg fight with a hammer called Ice Crusher (new to Hammer, just made it last night) to break his tail, supposedly the break tail on Giggi offers a 5% change and if I can kill 3 I have a few chances at them.

I really hate the drop rate in this game. I'm unsure why they make it so abysmally small for some things, it just doesn't really make sense to me.

Are you eating before quests? Lucky Cat and its higher grade equivalent will dramatically improve your chances.

I'll be honest, you start to realize that with buffs and quick fights, you can get one in no time.

This is just the beginning. You'll need to get multiple 2% drop rate gems and such eventually.

CPCunha

I'm probably going to log on tonight for general hunting (G Rank preferably). If I see a room up I'll join in.

I'm down to some hunts man, could use some help getting some stuff for armor, HR armor is not cutting anymore.
<=0(

edit: Room is up right now gents! Waiting for hunters!

Going by the GameFAQs carve guide percentages, the 7 star "Splash Damage" Plesioth village quest has one of the best chances of getting Wyvern Stones. Between the body carves and quest rewards, it works out to ~33% chance of getting at least one per run. That's not too awful and I don't find Plesioth especially hard to beat.

It usually means the server died. It's fucking annoying, and it's way more common than it should be.

Are you eating before quests? Lucky Cat and its higher grade equivalent will dramatically improve your chances.

I'll be honest, you start to realize that with buffs and quick fights, you can get one in no time.

This is just the beginning. You'll need to get multiple 2% drop rate gems and such eventually.

Hrm. I always eat for health and stuff, ill have to start looking for % increases now.

Interesting abiut splash damage quest. I will give that a shot. Thanks!

tuffy

I'm still hunting for a single Rathalos Ruby to finish up my Rathling Phoenix. Going by the percentages, it looks like "Clobberin' Time" is my best chance to nab one at about 28% per run between the quest rewards, shiny drop, head breaking and a capture. The bad news is that it's a Volcano chain quest so I'll want to gem in heat resistance and capture guru. But the good news is that there'll be three monsters so they'll be weaker than usual.

Maybe once that's done I'll try this fancy "online" thing.

Chuckpebble

Whelp. hit HR 4, all by my lonesome. Hate Brachydios, but the fight turned out pretty enjoyable after this one moment about midway. He was doing a tail swipe and I was doing the horizontal great sword slash. The very tip of my sword hit the very tip of his tail going in opposite directions, and it just popped off like a dandelion. So good.

taybul

I'm still hunting for a single Rathalos Ruby to finish up my Rathling Phoenix. Going by the percentages, it looks like "Clobberin' Time" is my best chance to nab one at about 28% per run between the quest rewards, shiny drop, head breaking and a capture. The bad news is that it's a Volcano chain quest so I'll want to gem in heat resistance and capture guru. But the good news is that there'll be three monsters so they'll be weaker than usual.

Maybe once that's done I'll try this fancy "online" thing.
Why would you need heat resistance? Why not just bring cool drinks?

We're down to page 2!?? We're slacking hunters!! Git back to posting!

Yeah noticed that as well. Haven't been online as much since I discovered Game of Thrones and as for the others, I'm guessing Animal Crossing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Yeah noticed that as well. Haven't been online as much since I discovered Game of Thrones and as for the others, I'm guessing Animal Crossing.

Yeah, I've been playing AC here and there, but I've just been busy with work as of late. I even said I'd hop on last night, and it just didn't happen.

Oh well! I'm back in, folks!

Hrm. I always eat for health and stuff, ill have to start looking for % increases now.

Interesting abiut splash damage quest. I will give that a shot. Thanks!

Yeah, it's always a balance between the two for me. If it's a quest I've never done before, I always go Meat+Meat for the health and Attack bonus. If it's one I've done before, or one I'm fairly confident about, I tend to go Meat+Dairy, and then choose whichever cooking method gets me Felyne Pyro (since, afaik, all bomb skills affect slime weapons as well)

CPCunha

thetrin, whenever you're online, let me know...

I had the room open for 2 hours last night and only Fer showed up...
...i can't deal with HunterGAF disbanding.

<=0(

tuffy

Mostly because the drinks tend to wear off at inconvenient times which means I've got to back off and take another one. That's not a problem on shorter fights, but I'm wary of running out of time (or ammo) on a long 3 monster chain hunt.

thetrin

thetrin, whenever you're online, let me know...

I had the room open for 2 hours last night and only Fer showed up...
...i can't deal with HunterGAF disbanding.

<=0(

Yeah, sorry. Life kinda just got in the way. I'll definitely be on tonight. I shouldn't get any surprise work.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I would never gem in heat resistance unless the armour already has it up to 8. There are too many other things you could do.

thetrin

I only ever had cold res gemmed in because I already had +9 on a necklace. Imo, drinks are better value, and the slots could be better used on skills that will actually save your life.

Edit: just realized there was a room up. I'll join in a bit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Merge Folders? what sorcery is that?

*Room is up, two spots left open

My copy is a downloaded version on the 3DS. I was trying to transfer over all of my old downloaded games because I had left them on another SD card when I upgraded to an 8gig to hold MH3U. It should have asked me if I wanted to merge the folders! Why didn't I back up first! What the fuck!

tuffy

Turns out it doesn't really matter. Although the odds of a Rathalos Ruby look a little better from the Volcano chain quest, it takes about twice as long to complete as just doing the solo Azure Rathalos quest because of all the running around. So doing the lower percentage quest twice as often becomes a better use of time.

But though I'm drowning in azure wings, scales and carapaces, that ruby still hasn't turned up.

Fewr

My copy is a downloaded version on the 3DS. I was trying to transfer over all of my old downloaded games because I had left them on another SD card when I upgraded to an 8gig to hold MH3U. It should have asked me if I wanted to merge the folders! Why didn't I back up first! What the fuck!

:((((

Oh man, this is terrible. All I can say is take a break then come back preferrably on the wii u version.

-------

Thanks for the deviljo guys, I'm one step closer to uncapping my HR. I swear I forgot the cool drinks, I'm poor but not that poor lol.

Fewr

With a Wii U and someone else's 3DS (and save file), couldn't you in theory duplicate the save file?

You'd have the same hunter name, but at least you wouldn't be starting from zero.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
With a Wii U and someone else's 3DS (and save file), couldn't you in theory duplicate the save file?

You'd have the same hunter name, but at least you wouldn't be starting from zero.

I don't think it would let me use someone else's save file on my copy of the game, but I'll look into it.

Fewr

When I pass my save file from wii u to 3ds, it passes my progress to 3ds but keeps its own save file. If I try to keep playing on wii u it shows a warning I can't remember, but i think it would let me play anyway, I think the only penalty I got from that is that i then had to choose which is my true save file by moving the data again, and losing my guild cards.

Therefore the process would be create a new nnid on wii u, have it receive a 3ds save file, then pass it on to another 3ds.

Do some research, I think it would work, and I don't think the 3ds with the original save file is in danger by doing this since the process is copying, not moving.

Satch

Banned
lmao i was just playing with these two guys trying to farm uragaan for rubies, and the last few times, we kept killing him before we could see him limp away

early on, i was using gunlance to help the swaxguy cut the tail, and letting the guy with the bow and arrow break the chin, but it got to a point wear the BnA guy wasnt able to get the chin consistently, so i switched to the hammer, figuring that the swaxguy would be okay on his own

i was getting the chin broken, but the tail wasnt getting cut, so after a couple of hunts, i switched to swax to help with tails again

the very last hunt we did, i cut the tail, and then i was very careful about measuring my attacks so that we'd be able to cap uragaan instead of killing him, and i kept waiting and waiting for the BnA guy to break the chin. he finally gets it broken, and im pulling my weapon out very rarely so i could wait for him to limp. we get very close to the end, uragaan falls down, we beat on him a bit more, i holster my weapon, and then try to set a trap

swaxguy upswings me, interrupting what i was doing, and uragaan gets up

so im running around without my weapon out, and the fucking BnA guy is raging over the microphone about me not laying out a trap. uragaan starts doing one of those smoke attacks, im ready to put a shock trap down, and the BnA guy fires an explosive arrow right into uragaan's head and kills him.

then he starts screaming AGAIN saying "SATCH I TOLD YOU TO PUT A FUCKING TRAP DOWN I KEPT SAYING 'NOW CAP' BUT YOU WOULDNT FUCKING LISTEN." then we start carving and the whole time hes just grumbling under his breath about how i fucked up our hunt. we get to the tavern and he starts saying "Satch, I'm gonna have to kick you beca--" and i dont even know what he was going to say because i left right in the middle of it

unappreciative twat

lmao i was just playing with these two guys trying to farm uragaan for rubies, and the last few times, we kept killing him before we could see him limp away

early on, i was using gunlance to help the swaxguy cut the tail, and letting the guy with the bow and arrow break the chin, but it got to a point wear the BnA guy wasnt able to get the chin consistently, so i switched to the hammer, figuring that the swaxguy would be okay on his own

i was getting the chin broken, but the tail wasnt getting cut, so after a couple of hunts, i switched to swax to help with tails again

the very last hunt we did, i cut the tail, and then i was very careful about measuring my attacks so that we'd be able to cap uragaan instead of killing him, and i kept waiting and waiting for the BnA guy to break the chin. he finally gets it broken, and im pulling my weapon out very rarely so i could wait for him to limp. we get very close to the end, uragaan falls down, we beat on him a bit more, i holster my weapon, and then try to set a trap

swaxguy upswings me, interrupting what i was doing, and uragaan gets up

so im running around without my weapon out, and the fucking BnA guy is raging over the microphone about me not laying out a trap. uragaan starts doing one of those smoke attacks, im ready to put a shock trap down, and the BnA guy fires an explosive arrow right into uragaan's head and kills him.

then he starts screaming AGAIN saying "SATCH I TOLD YOU TO PUT A FUCKING TRAP DOWN I KEPT SAYING 'NOW CAP' BUT YOU WOULDNT FUCKING LISTEN." then we start carving and the whole time hes just grumbling under his breath about how i fucked up our hunt. we get to the tavern and he starts saying "Satch, I'm gonna have to kick you beca--" and i dont even know what he was going to say because i left right in the middle of it

unappreciative twat
It's advisable to actually tell people when you're trying to set a trap.

Top Bottom