• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Lizardus

lmao i was just playing with these two guys trying to farm uragaan for rubies, and the last few times, we kept killing him before we could see him limp away

early on, i was using gunlance to help the swaxguy cut the tail, and letting the guy with the bow and arrow break the chin, but it got to a point wear the BnA guy wasnt able to get the chin consistently, so i switched to the hammer, figuring that the swaxguy would be okay on his own

i was getting the chin broken, but the tail wasnt getting cut, so after a couple of hunts, i switched to swax to help with tails again

the very last hunt we did, i cut the tail, and then i was very careful about measuring my attacks so that we'd be able to cap uragaan instead of killing him, and i kept waiting and waiting for the BnA guy to break the chin. he finally gets it broken, and im pulling my weapon out very rarely so i could wait for him to limp. we get very close to the end, uragaan falls down, we beat on him a bit more, i holster my weapon, and then try to set a trap

swaxguy upswings me, interrupting what i was doing, and uragaan gets up

so im running around without my weapon out, and the fucking BnA guy is raging over the microphone about me not laying out a trap. uragaan starts doing one of those smoke attacks, im ready to put a shock trap down, and the BnA guy fires an explosive arrow right into uragaan's head and kills him.

then he starts screaming AGAIN saying "SATCH I TOLD YOU TO PUT A FUCKING TRAP DOWN I KEPT SAYING 'NOW CAP' BUT YOU WOULDNT FUCKING LISTEN." then we start carving and the whole time hes just grumbling under his breath about how i fucked up our hunt. we get to the tavern and he starts saying "Satch, I'm gonna have to kick you beca--" and i dont even know what he was going to say because i left right in the middle of it

unappreciative twat

You realise that you can help break the chin with your SA too, right?

Satch

Banned
It's advisable to actually tell people when you're trying to set a trap.

im not a scrub; i told him that i was going to cap, but he was too busy yelling at me and raining arrows all over the place to pay attention. he always had it in himself to tell me "satch bring -insert item here-! satch move -insert location here- so i wont shoot you!" but he couldnt be arsed to listen/read

You realise that you can help break the chin with your SA too, right?

i was helping break the chin with it but i had to be careful because my only switchaxe is the slime one

i was doing my best to not cause too many explosions, so i was allowing the other swaxguy to help with the chin more.

Anteo

Man this game. 80 hours and I still need to defeat ceadeus. I refuse to go on without getting more sets and weapons, this is so much fun.
Also, I just moved my data back to the 3ds. I've never noticed how small the OG 3ds is D=

Fewr

Best night ever!

I got:
HR7 -> HR48
Artian Greaves
Awards: Hunter's Mark, Miralis Ring, Lucent Haori, Old Childhood Mask, Lackey Testimonial, Minion Certificate, and Chief's Cauldron.

Wow! Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate all your help.

Gattuso

edit: nvm
i like being able to tag along and do impossible quests (with my current stuff) as i just try not to die in the background when playing online.
I'm miles away from the equipment a lot of people have online, i definitely feel pretty useless not being able to take a hit

Lizardus

Man, fuck grinding Village Ceadeus. Why couldn't they make it an online fight too? Every one of his weapons requires crooked horns which don't even break until the last part of the battle and even then, you have about 60%(
more like 6%
chance of carving them. I really want that SA but fuck it.

I just fought a Jade Barroth last night for the first time. What a badass. I like variety but I really like when I come across the monsters that are aggressive and in your face. Probably because I'm a hammer user and all the dodging(or attempted!) is a lot of fun(and his foot hitboxes aren't stupid annoying like some others. Looking at you, Rath twins and Plesioth).

During the fight I kept thinking of something, which I'm declaring J./Barroth's theme song. That rerouting shovel run he does is rough. I got smacked with it a few times before developing the good sense not to keep treating his attacks like OG Barroth, though I should've known better after seeing P. Ludroth do the same thing.

I haven't looked yet but I'm guessing J. Barroth's looks as cool as I expect and I'm going to want it. I spent most of my time so far playing with regular Barroth armor, though, so I'm not sure I want the same style again. Maybe just for fun.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
edit: nvm
i like being able to tag along and do impossible quests (with my current stuff) as i just try not to die in the background when playing online.
I'm miles away from the equipment a lot of people have online, i definitely feel pretty useless not being able to take a hit

Any time you want help with early quests, post here. You'll make progress, and you won't feel useless.

Wish I could play today. :(

I've got family in town, specifically visiting to see me before I move. It would be so rude to run away and play MonHun right now, lol.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Bit the bullet and just started a new save file :/ I figure if I can just sit in on some of my friends' g-rank hunts I can get a powerful weapon early on and just blast back up to their level.

Also I defeated my first Great Jaggi in under five minutes, so learned skill certainly seems to count for something

Gattuso

I didn't think i was going to beat the lagiacrus in time or at all. I had 2 minutes to spare and was on my last continue with no almost no items. I think 1 more hit could have ended me but I beat it with my blade sharpness in the orange.
Now I just need to upgrade my weapon or make a new one that way i can stop with all my battles nearing the end of the timer every time I do manage to complete them.

Llyranor

Quick questions:

1) This DOES work cross-region as advertised, right? Eg. NA player can play with UK player.

2) How substantial is the co-op? Can I play primarily co-op with a buddy and get the most out of the game, or do I have to play through some silly singleplayer stuff too (to unlock stuff, for example)?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Quick questions:

1) This DOES work cross-region as advertised, right? Eg. NA player can play with UK player.

2) How substantial is the co-op? Can I play primarily co-op with a buddy and get the most out of the game, or do I have to play through some silly singleplayer stuff too (to unlock stuff, for example)?

The game is primarily designed around multiplayer IMO, its really meant to be played that way. There are a handful of singleplayer quests you should do early on just to get the mechanics down though. And ask lots of questions here because the game is very bad at explaining things

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Who's the monster at the end of the opening? That's not supposed to be Rathalos, right? Looks way more OP.
If you mean the dude with his arms and horn coated in green stuff he's the Brachydios, he provides a fun fight and loot to make slime weapons. You'll meet him in High Rank.

If you mean the dude with his arms and horn coated in green stuff he's the Brachydios, he provides a fun fight and loot to make slime weapons. You'll meet him in High Rank.

I mean the black and red dragon that's shown after Brachydios and the MH logo, sitting in a pool of lava.

Llyranor

How do you voice-chat in this game? The WiiU pad?

(I really don't know much about the console, main interest is in upcoming games)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Relatives are leaving today. I should have time to hop on today.

What time are people looking to play?

Oh, right, my mistake. Thanks. It looks like it means business.

Dire Miralis definitely means business. The Dual swords you make from him are awesome, too.

Bit the bullet and just started a new save file :/ I figure if I can just sit in on some of my friends' g-rank hunts I can get a powerful weapon early on and just blast back up to their level.

Also I defeated my first Great Jaggi in under five minutes, so learned skill certainly seems to count for something

Most definitely. I think knowledge and skill are far more important than gear (though gear definitely closes the gap). A crappy player with great gear is still going to be crappy. They'll just look real good while getting their ass handed to them.

taybul

Quick questions:

2) Everything is available both offline and on/co-op. You'll need to play offline for upgrading your canteen and for masks but it's not necessary. Before you'd need to "beat" offline in order to unlock a certain monster in Tanzia but that's no longer the case after some recent DLCs.

Gattuso

My info is in the google doc if anyone wanted to add me.
What times does everyone usually play online? I almost never see anybody in that lobby.

Fewr

Attn. people new to the game, take a look at this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55688764&postcount=36
Useful Links

Wikis

Monster Hunter Wikia
Has useful information regarding all things Monster Hunter. It isn't complete, but still has a
lot of information that is useful.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Wiki
Has useful information regarding Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. It isn't complete, but still has
a lot of information that is useful, and refers to the Japanese names of materials, monsters,
and armors.

Miscellaneous

Kiranico - MH3U
A site (the best site IMO) that uses the database that Ping's program uses (the link below),
but is a site. It has weapon trees (that you can actually use CTRL+F on), monster pages
with complete drop rates, and an item search which tells you where you can find the item
and what it can be used for. It is also very mobile friendly (tested on my iPhone using
Google Chrome).

Ping's MH3GDex
A great program for Windows OS that contains information about many things such as
where can you get items, materials required for armors, weapons, and jewels, skills, and
more. It also is on Android as an app!

Athena's Armor Set Search for MH3U
A useful Windows application that can help you build sets that have the skills you want.
It is in English and is still being updated. This is probably going to be a hunter's best tool.

GameFAQs
Contains many helpful guides and tips about Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Website of MH3GSD
A website that contains pictures of every weapon, guild card background, Shakalaka mask
descriptions, and a record of all DLC quests. A great resource for any images you need.
It also has an explanation of what VE Tickets are.

MHag Online App
It is a useful web-app that allows one to determine an ideal (armor) set. It also gives an
easy way to share these sets. Sadly, it refers to monsters and the materials in Japanese.
It is being updated, so that will change soon. There is also a program version.

MHag Application
This is a program that can be used on any OS that supports Java. It is similar to its online
version, but also has a feature that allows you to determine sets based on the skills you
want. However, this hasn't been updated for a long time and refers to monsters armors in
their Japanese names.

What are VE Tickets
This topic explains what the hell VE Tickets do and trust me, you would love it lol.

Charm Tables
There are 17 Charm Tables. Each of the 17 Charm Tables have different charms available.
This can be used to maximize sets with skills (skills are basically effects/abilities that can
help or negatively affect your character). These links are going to help you with Charm
Tables.

Everything About Charm Tables
This is a post on another forum that has an explanation of which charm table is good for
each type of weapon. It also says what each charm table is known for having that is good.
And there is a video there showing how to manipulate which charm table you will obtain.

Charm Table Searcher
Once you send a ship off to fish, you will get a haul. Now you want to note down what you
got and how much of each items you got and enter it into the table in order of how you got
it as shown in the image below. You want to keep on entering in hauls until you only get
one table that has a 'O'.

thetrin

Kiranico is by far the best web-based information source for MH3U. It also formats quite nicely on a tablet screen!

Any G rankers up for some event quests tonight? Would love to make the Bushido dual blades to match my jhen mohran samurai armor.

Insaniac

so I did the table 10 charm thing when I started, and I tested to make sure i had table 10, but all i've gotten for charms are TONS and TONS of bowgun charms. Nothing yet even remotely useful for a blade master. note that I've only just started High rank, but still barely any useful charms.

was it the same way for anyone else who got table 10?

Fewr

I tbhink table 10 doesn't mean you'll be swimming in amazing charms, it just means there are pretty good blademaster charms in it, so you'll have a teeny tiny probability of getting one of those someday (which is > 0).

I'm on t13 and also got plenty of those during low and high rank. I think you start getting good charms in HR volcano runs, but like the rest of the game, the great stuff doesn't start until G.

Once you reached G-rank, you can do charm runs. If you're impatient, you can start with High Rank already. But G-rank charm runs are where the best charms are at.

Been trying to farm some of the better charms on table 8 while on vacation. Somehow I have every worn weapon except for the long sword, 4 pairs of duels, 5 great swords, yet none of the charms I actually want.

Got all the artian sets. Not nearly as bad as I've heard it was going to be. Think I'll work on the bard set next.

I started playing this over the weekend and I've been having a blast. I played Tri on Wii back in the day, but its difficulty was too much for me and I quit after beating the Ceadeus village quest.

This time I opted to become a Hammerbro instead of a lancer and it's going so much smoother. I worked my way up to Gobul and crafted myself a Carapace hammer. I am a little lacking in armour, so I'll have to put my foot on the breaks for a second and grind a little bit for clothing. Once I work myself up to a reasonable load-out, I'll try to venture online.

I have one question though-- I remember Tri having subquests that boosted your rewards. Did they remove this or did it become hidden information? It seems a little odd for them to remove it.

Svage Jho Event quest tomorrow. For real this time, none of this Peco bullshit. I better get my nether GL finished.

I did that peco quest for about 3 hours last week for the savage jho. He really isn't that bad. Actually had an easier time doing it with 3 players rather than 4 as the our 4th was random and pretty terrible most of the time.

Lizardus

I did that peco quest for about 3 hours last week for the savage jho. He really isn't that bad. Actually had an easier time doing it with 3 players rather than 4 as the our 4th was random and pretty terrible most of the time.

No I meant that you don't have to jump through hoops to fight him. I agree, he is the most fun fight in the entire game.

No I meant that you don't have to jump through hoops to fight him. I agree, he is the most fun fight in the entire game.

I think I still prefer the "cage" match between two Jhos, but yea, I really enjoy playing this guy.

Evade Dist + evade +2 w/ gunlance is a ton of fun for me.

I love people that used drugged meat on this guy.

Here's my dilemma:

I'm HR7, but I'm really having a lot of trouble meeting people who are on the same page as me, much like Tri Wii where everything seemed to work out. I think I'm too much of a completionist; I like to finish every quest at each HR, but most people just do keys (skipping non-keys and advanced quests).

I'd love to play with some Gaffers but whenever I find anyone in a room, everyone is way beyond me HR-wise.

Anyone here near my HR that would be interested in linking up and knocking out a ton of G-Rank quests?

Here's my dilemma:

I'm HR7, but I'm really having a lot of trouble meeting people who are on the same page as me, much like Tri Wii where everything seemed to work out. I think I'm too much of a completionist; I like to finish every quest at each HR, but most people just do keys (skipping non-keys and advanced quests).

I'd love to play with some Gaffers but whenever I find anyone in a room, everyone is way beyond me HR-wise.

Anyone here near my HR that would be interested in linking up and knocking out a ton of G-Rank quests?

If you want to complete certain quests, regardless of the reasoning behind it, just make your own lobby and market your "target" accordingly.

It's really not hard to fill a lobby in G-rank.

robatw

i bought a 3ds today, there was no monster hunter in the store (sold out)

can anybody give me the code so i can download it for free? (recommendation code)

i would pay for the code via paypal.

Neo C.

Here's my dilemma:

You're HR7 and on G-rank, so I don't really see the problem. I'll be there in the evening (CET, I'm in Europe).

Top Bottom