• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

i bought a 3ds today, there was no monster hunter in the store (sold out)

can anybody give me the code so i can download it for free? (recommendation code)

i would pay for the code via paypal.

you could always download it from the eshop. I had the same dilemma when I wanted to purchase the game and just went ahead and downloaded it

robatw

you could always download it from the eshop. I had the same dilemma when I wanted to purchase the game and just went ahead and downloaded it

yeah but there is a programme (at leats in europe) where monster hunter buyer get a recommendation codes which will get new 3ds buyers monster hunter for free..

yeah but there is a programme (at leats in europe) where monster hunter buyer get a recommendation codes which will get new 3ds buyers monster hunter for free..

Yes, I'm aware, but the chances of getting it from a random are slim and nil. You might be able to purchase one for less than retail.

Cute!

62ivWox.jpg

Yeah, I often times create my own room but it's still hard to find completionists in my experience.

you've acknowledged that your way of playing the game isn't the most common, correct? knowing that, it would be hard to find like-minded people in the game. i'm sure that's no surprise.

If you are into doing quests in order and doing everything, you would probably make a comment in the name section of your lobby.

Ultimately, i would think it best to just have that many lobbies. Quest 1 done? Check. New lobby. Quest 2? Check. New lobby.

It would be time consuming, sure, but then again, you are a completionist.

I would find it more beneficial to farm very good gear and just solo stuff yourself. You can dictate your play much easier in that fashion.

Mondriaan

you've acknowledged that your way of playing the game isn't the most common, correct? knowing that, it would be hard to find like-minded people in the game. i'm sure that's no surprise.
The usual way most people choose to do arbitrary quests (for tier completion) is to go to a room where people take turns selecting quests. Many people would be annoyed, however, by someone who insists on remaining at HR7 because it just means that they can't select HR8+ quests on their turn. Of course, that's assuming that this HR7 person is even interested in letting other people select quests.

my sentiment was similar, in that I didn't care about increasing HR level if there was a monster I wanted to farm for various weapons and armor pieces. wanting to do this isn't a problem as you can just make a farming lobby and go to town for hours on end.

i personally don't see the point on completing quests in order unless they are village quests and you want to get Mark of the Hero.

But it's not like you couldn't come back to them at your leisure as there is very little payoff.

Does anyone want to help me with HR 7 quests? ive got a room up in FreeC, Lobby 9, same password as in OP.

Edit: nvm, gonna play some Deus Ex

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I always want to hop on when people request, but some of you guys request when I'm in the middle of work. :(

I'll probably be on late late tonight, if anyone is still awake.

Gattuso

I had just finished doing some quests I really shouldn't be doing at all with my current equipment like the Nargacuga battle and the Deviljho. 210 def gets me so far it seems.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I had just finished doing some quests I really shouldn't be doing at all with my current equipment like the Nargacuga battle and the Deviljho. 210 def gets me so far it seems.

What rank are you, and what armor are you wearing?

Gattuso

What rank are you, and what armor are you wearing?

HR3 right now with just a mix of Lagiacrus and Rathilos armor. I've been kinda lazy when it comes to farming for materials to have better armor. I was in a lobby with 2 other people that had comparable armor to mine and with one other person way ahead of us also at a HR around 60 something.

Chuckpebble

Man, 50% affinity fells like 100% affinity sometimes. After going gunlance all through village and up to HR 4, sure does feel nice to get back to SnS. I feel like a feather weight prize fighter all of a sudden.

Man, 50% affinity fells like 100% affinity sometimes. After going gunlance all through village and up to HR 4, sure does feel nice to get back to SnS. I feel like a feather weight prize fighter all of a sudden.

confused by this statement. i feel the gunlance does way more damage than the SnS :/

perhaps you hold guard and do the slanted stab a lot

Chuckpebble

confused by this statement. i feel the gunlance does way more damage than the SnS :/

perhaps you hold guard and do the slanted stab a lot

Nah, I was using a guard 1 set for a while, then I was playing around with the narga set, evade up and evasion +2. Its a really fun weapon, and I'm sure I'm way more proficient with it, its just that the SnS looks so flashy, its a fun change up.

Nah, I was using a guard 1 set for a while, then I was playing around with the narga set, evade up and evasion +2. Its a really fun weapon, and I'm sure I'm way more proficient with it, its just that the SnS looks so flashy, its a fun change up.

nothing wrong with a change up. i went to great sword for some time, then to hammer (currently using)

gunlance is still ma shit though :D

Chuckpebble

nothing wrong with a change up. i went to great sword for some time, then to hammer (currently using)

gunlance is still ma shit though :D

You're probably a good person to talk to then. My biggest PIA for GL is Brachydios. It's to the point where I simply change weapons. Any tips? I just hate that I need to sheath to roll.

You're probably a good person to talk to then. My biggest PIA for GL is Brachydios. It's to the point where I simply change weapons. Any tips? I just hate that I need to sheath to roll.

uragaan armor (g rank) with biomaster is really the way to go. slime doesn't stick, so theres no need to sheath and roll

that being said, you probably haven't yet reached the point where you can farm that armor. It's not hard to gem into an existing set, provided you have a talisman with the skill on it.

evade extend can really help with the fight regardless as it allows you to get away from his slime pools easier.

you could also try and gem sheath as it really helps if you need to roll.

are you using the right element against him? when it doubt, trap the hell out of him + cap. makes the fight way more bearable without biomaster

Chuckpebble

Thanks. Guess I'll try putting sheath into my narga set. He's weak to water, right? I have the Plesioth gunlance, which I like, but its still at green rarity which makes me hesitant to use it.

Got to 8* village quests last night. HR Rathalos was a good challenge and I felt like I was really playing well, remembering to take my charge swings(hammer) from the side so I wouldn't get hit when he dashes and generally stringing well and getting plenty of stuns. Still a tough fight, though.

As soon as I unlocked 8* and saw Uragaan I had to go for it. I'm working towards the Brazenclout(and beyond) and want to get it as soon as I can. The fight came down to the last 10 minutes and I carted for the third time. Ugh. Does anyone limit the amount of potions they bring to a fight? I used to always bring 10 pots/10 mega pots, but I cut back to just bringing 10 mega pots to fights in order to force myself to play better. Maybe I should suck it up. Unfortunately, once I was out I had to keep running out of the area to let health regen and wait for healing from Cha-Cha/Kayamba, but by doing that Uragaan kept using it as a chance to fall asleep in area 6 and the process repeated itself a few times before succumbing to an annihilating chin crush.

Any tips for taking down HR Uragaan? He rolls a lot more than LR, which makes getting charged hammer swings in tough and also dangerous because his pivot is pretty wide when he does 4 consecutive ground pounds. I didn't try again last night but I'm going to need to take him down at least a couple times to get the materials I need. I'm wearing upgraded Jaggi S armor right now(to the point of needing hard armor spheres). I even took some barrel bombs into the fight because he's pretty easy to peg with them.

Oh, and I just noticed during the fight that Uragaan's spikes right above his head look like goggles, haha. *Lava diver!/You've been down too long in the molten sea/Please stop running from me!*

maxresdefault.jpg

Besides being more familiar with his attack patterns, I would say consistently go for the chin. If you break that, it becomes his weak point and gives you a better chance at getting his ruby.

Patience, and traps. Traps + barrels + hammer + KO makes his face a walk in the park (breaking his chin).

if you are dying, bring 10/10 potions + 10 hunnies for making more megas. if that's not enough, you either need to get better armor, play in a group, or just perform better

Besides being more familiar with his attack patterns, I would say consistently go for the chin. If you break that, it becomes his weak point and gives you a better chance at getting his ruby.

Patience, and traps. Traps + barrels + hammer + KO makes his face a walk in the park (breaking his chin).

if you are dying, bring 10/10 potions + 10 hunnies for making more megas. if that's not enough, you either need to get better armor, play in a group, or just perform better

Haha, if I can't beat him with 20 mega pots then yeah, I better be embarrassed. Good call on the chin. I've broken it before but wasn't considering yesterday that it would open up his weak point.

Chuckpebble

water, then ice, yes.

he's super easy in a group. i assume you are talking about farming him, no?

I'm 3DS only, soloed everything. Been easy so far, since I did all of village first. Just using some high rank sets to blast through the early HRs. I'm only farming enough for a few weapon classes.

whatever it takes. the hope is that you progress and the fight becomes easier and easier.

the steel uragaan is a bit harder, so have fun with him too

edit : unless you like using bombs, the brachy armor is pretty useless. I did farm him pretty extensively (armor + 6 weapons) so soloing him isn't really a big issue.

whatever it takes. the hope is that you progress and the fight becomes easier and easier.

the steel uragaan is a bit harder, so have fun with him too

I'm sure. I'm really looking forward to the subspecies for big guys like Uragaan and Duramboros, though. I know I'm talking about HR Uragaan being tough but at the same time, those guys were pretty much cake on LR, and I wanted more out of monsters with such presence, which I'm sure the subspecies will deliver on.

taybul

Ran into my first HR999 the other night who was leading the room and when finished the quest I got a Wii network error just before the rewards screen, something I hadn't seen before, was a bit suspicious. Is there some glitch going around?

Insaniac

I really want the Ceadeus lance, but good god do I hate the battle. Are there any tips for beating Ceadeus easily? what weapon should I use?

I'm on now and attempting to more forward online since I've barely touched it. I'm HR2 now but am up to 8* offline. Feel free to join up if you want.

03 Free C
Lobby 9
Room: gafHR2
PS: gaf

Edit: done for now. Thanks for the help, though I didn't catch your GAF handle. Your crushing skill made those hunts a breeze.

Lizardus

I really want the Ceadeus lance, but good god do I hate the battle. Are there any tips for beating Ceadeus easily? what weapon should I use?

Griffon Blazooka with Pierce or Nether Salvatore with Normal. Both in siege mode.

Ceadeus is still a cunt though.

EDIT: Plesioth lance is better. You want the Ceadeus SA and HBG.

thetrin

Opening up a GAF room. Usual place and pass. Anyone welcome. G Rank is cool, but if you're low rank and need help, I'm happy to oblige.

EDIT: Closed. No one came. I'm sad.

Garou

So I have my Diablos Z-gear, my hunting horn, a charm that gives +10 on the flute skill and 11 free slots.
What to gem in??

Neo C.

Opening up a GAF room. Usual place and pass. Anyone welcome. G Rank is cool, but if you're low rank and need help, I'm happy to oblige.

EDIT: Closed. No one came. I'm sad.

It's really hard to get gaffers together. All of my gaf-buddies on the friendlist haven't shown up for weeks.

thetrin

So I have my Diablos Z-gear, my hunting horn, a charm that gives +10 on the flute skill and 11 free slots.
What to gem in??

Charm in evasion if you've got the mats.

It's really hard to get gaffers together. All of my gaf-buddies on the friendlist haven't shown up for weeks.

It is. I think some of the people that have been playing for a while have moved on. It's a shame!

Tenks

Hey guys I got this the other day for my 3DS and have a few questions.

Is there a consensus "best" weapon to use? The tutorials online seem to lean towards no. Right now I'm using the duel swords and I am just past where you have to kill that fire bird monster and they're working well for me.

At what point should I look into leaving the town. So far I haven't taken the boat out because I don't know if I'm at the point where I should be bothering doing that.

I'm using full Yaggi armor at the moment. Is there something better I should be using or anything to keep my eye on to make?

It depends on the fight and what you're trying to accomplish, but I would also say there is no best weapon. It really comes down to preference and then mastering that particular weapon.

I am most impressed by a really good switch axe user.

Tenks

It depends on the fight and what you're trying to accomplish, but I would also say there is no best weapon. It really comes down to preference and then mastering that particular weapon.

I am most impressed by a really good switch axe user.

So should I try and upgrade multiple weapons? It feels like that would really strain my cash at the moment to try and keep anything more than one weapon upgraded. But the giant fire bird is kind of a pain in the ass to fight with my swords it feels like a slower, more powerful, weapon would be better.

So should I try and upgrade multiple weapons? It feels like that would really strain my cash at the moment to try and keep anything more than one weapon upgraded. But the giant fire bird is kind of a pain in the ass to fight with my swords it feels like a slower, more powerful, weapon would be better.

absolutely nothing wrong with upgrading multiple weapon types. It's generally materials that limit your crafting ability as opposed to cash flow.

Fire bird? I assume you aren't referring to rathalos so I think you mean queropeco (sp).

DS should work find on that bird, but you might not have the sharpness to hit him in the beak/head.

Weapons are all about finding optimized combos in each situation, then learning boss patterns/move lists to know where to be after the end of each and how to punish the best you can. Some weapons are easier to master than others.

My next weapon upgrade is the Gigas hammer, but it requires A. Rathalos carapaces. I'm 8* offline/HR 3 online. How soon will I encounter them?

Also, how the hell do people aim bows/bowguns? I'm always half-tempted to learn one of them but manually aiming from a distance seems impossible.

Chuckpebble

My next weapon upgrade is the Gigas hammer, but it requires A. Rathalos carapaces. I'm 8* offline/HR 3 online. How soon will I encounter them?

Also, how the hell do people aim bows/bowguns? I'm always half-tempted to learn one of them but manually aiming from a distance seems impossible.

Not sure about the port, but I think Azure Rathalos is the urgent for 9 star village.

For bowguns I quick tap R to go first person and then dodge to switch back. For bow, I disabled the option for "camera swings behind you while using quick scope". I just run around holding R and I can still look about freely by tapping L while charging up shots. Makes aiming much less finicky.

tuffy

For light bowguns, you can hold down R while running to "shoot from the hip" with the visual target, but it's non-optimal since a lot of the time you'll be firing at monster feet. What you really want to do is tap R and use the targeting screen to aim up at the monster's head or other weak spots, then tap R again or roll to go back on the move. You'll need to be only a 2-3 rolls away too since many shots work best at close range; don't try gunning from across the room.

I found that targeting screen to be a scary place at first since you're immobile in weak gunner armor with a big monster rampaging around, but there really is enough time to use it and choosing shots carefully makes all the difference when it comes to hunt times and ammo consumption.

Mondriaan

Not sure about the port, but I think Azure Rathalos is the urgent for 9 star village.

For bowguns I quick tap R to go first person and then dodge to switch back. For bow, I disabled the option for "camera swings behind you while using quick scope". I just run around holding R and I can still look about freely by tapping L while charging up shots. Makes aiming much less finicky.

Wow, why wouldn't that default to disabled? Does anyone actually like that "feature"?

Alrus

Well HR Agnaktor almost carted me, guess trying to fight him with a gunner P.Ludroth set wasn't a great idea (weak to fire). Maybe I should look for an upgrade, but I really like that set, I almost never have to worry about Stamina with it. I know Volvi Set would probably be better, but it's just so ugly :/

Got to 8* village quests last night. HR Rathalos was a good challenge and I felt like I was really playing well, remembering to take my charge swings(hammer) from the side so I wouldn't get hit when he dashes and generally stringing well and getting plenty of stuns. Still a tough fight, though.

As soon as I unlocked 8* and saw Uragaan I had to go for it. I'm working towards the Brazenclout(and beyond) and want to get it as soon as I can. The fight came down to the last 10 minutes and I carted for the third time. Ugh. Does anyone limit the amount of potions they bring to a fight? I used to always bring 10 pots/10 mega pots, but I cut back to just bringing 10 mega pots to fights in order to force myself to play better. Maybe I should suck it up. Unfortunately, once I was out I had to keep running out of the area to let health regen and wait for healing from Cha-Cha/Kayamba, but by doing that Uragaan kept using it as a chance to fall asleep in area 6 and the process repeated itself a few times before succumbing to an annihilating chin crush.

Just so you know, instead of waiting ages for your health to come back up, just go back and sleep on the camp bed. Also, I suggest bringing a max potion or an ancient potion, really helps if you cart and loose your food buffs in order to get your health higher.

Does that mean urgent to get to 9* or at the end of 9*?

For light bowguns, you can hold down R while running to "shoot from the hip" with the visual target, but it's non-optimal since a lot of the time you'll be firing at monster feet. What you really want to do is tap R and use the targeting screen to aim up at the monster's head or other weak spots, then tap R again or roll to go back on the move. You'll need to be only a 2-3 rolls away too since many shots work best at close range; don't try gunning from across the room.

Right. I'm going to have to play around with them to get a better understanding of what you mean.

Just so you know, instead of waiting ages for your health to come back up, just go back and sleep on the camp bed. Also, I suggest bringing a max potion or an ancient potion, really helps if you cart and loose your food buffs in order to get your health higher.

I didn't know you could go to sleep or I forgot, haha. Thanks for the heads up. And I had been taking a max or ancient potion with me on some quests but not the last few since I need to farm some dragon toadstools.

Top Bottom