• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

Thanks, Atmej and Vermillion, for answers my questions a few days ago. I forgot to reply.

I'm in the middle of a detour before fighting I. Lagi. I have no way of cutting tails and figured that's a big issue, so I went back to LR Rath, got parts and made the uh...red, Rath fire lance. Upgraded that, and just now got a Rath ruby from A. Rath to upgrade to Spear of Prominence. Any advice on where to take it from here? If I take the A. Rath path I can farm him now and upgrade. However, the g-rank Rath path upgrades to white sharpness.

I'm going to practice with the lance some and then hopefully farm Zinogre so I can make his armor, then take it and brutalize I. Lagi.

High hopes, I know. Lance seems tough to learn.

That looks really cool, but does it cover uh, third gen? Is that the right term? MH3U is my first MH.

I would suggest the getting the A. Los lance now

If you take it up the silver path you will eventually need 3 mantles to upgrade it fully and by that point you should have plenty of rubies to go back up the path again

So A. Los now and silver later

upandaway

Plate on my first Ian capture in the game... I don't even want her armor. This is scaring me, I feel like all my luck was just spent on this.

Also, I had a hilariously pathetic time against Gobul with a Great Sword. I was so scared for the entire thing, it took me forever and had to actually forbid myself to attack for a few minutes to check if I can even avoid him period.
Maybe the GS is just bad underwater or something? I don't know. I'm fine with a hammer... it's so weird. Will try to practice it out.

And lastly, I originally planned on only upgrading to Barroth armor and using him for the rest of LR, but I can still do 4 stars fine with starting armor (I'm not used mega potions either), so I guess for now I'm trying a starting armor+potion+no sidekicks LR challenge, wish me luck.

Fewr

Well in your post you said “If I use it with a Rath Soul Z armor” so I assumed you wanted damage first without the Critical Eye bonus.

You're making it way too complicated. To take into account affinity, just multiply your affinity percentage (in this case +5% = 0.05) by 0.25 (the bonus damage when you perform a critical hit, i.e. +25%). A +5 % affinity gives an effective 0.05×0.25 = 0.0125 bonus, aka a 1.0125 multiplier.

Then you do 891 × 1.44 × 1.0125 = 1299 attack on average, taking into account the 5 % affinity bonus.
I think I get it now. It was my first dmg calculation.
Thanks for the help.

--------------------------------------

Attn. everyone, take a look at this:
http://twitpic.com/d21utc

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't know why but this had my friends and I in stitches tonight:
FPWucZG.jpg

also

Banned
How do i get past hr5 in sp mode? I have all quests beat up to this point
Did you beat Ceadeus?
For his quest to appear you have to fulfil a certain village request (talk to the chief's son) and you need to get the mask in the cave behind the waterfall near your farm.

Gattuso

Finally reached HR5 earlier today as i slowly progress through the quests. I can't wait for the smithy to let me make something new because i've had the same weapon since HR3.

I would suggest the getting the A. Los lance now

If you take it up the silver path you will eventually need 3 mantles to upgrade it fully and by that point you should have plenty of rubies to go back up the path again

So A. Los now and silver later

Thanks. I'll take that route, then. Ugh. I just fought A. Rath with the lance and whoa, suddenly so tough. I missed tons of thrusts, had tons of trouble hitting the tail, and I kept trying to roll on instinct. I made it through, but with less than ten minutes and after using 16-17 mega pots. I did get the tail, but still. That was some of my most shameful MH playing. Switching weapons is a whole new ball game. I'm having pre-nightmares just thinking about how much my ass is going to get kicked tomorrow, haha.

Anura

Thanks. I'll take that route, then. Ugh. I just fought A. Rath with the lance and whoa, suddenly so tough. I missed tons of thrusts, had tons of trouble hitting the tail, and I kept trying to roll on instinct. I made it through, but with less than ten minutes and after using 16-17 mega pots. I did get the tail, but still. That was some of my most shameful MH playing. Switching weapons is a whole new ball game. I'm having pre-nightmares just thinking about how much my ass is going to get kicked tomorrow, haha.

The rathalos is one of the hardest things to lance by far. I have been a lance main since the start of gen 3 and I find I have to concentrate the most with him to even get just decent times.

Learn when his air gusts come and and when to counter then and learn how to stick by the head

And fyi you can counter his feet stubbing your feet so you can keep up your damage better

The rathalos is one of the hardest things to lance by far. I have been a lance main since the start of gen 3 and I find I have to concentrate the most with him to even get just decent times.

Learn when his air gusts come and and when to counter then and learn how to stick by the head

And fyi you can counter his feet stubbing your feet so you can keep up your damage better

Thanks for the advice. What do you mean by that last bit, though? Counter how?

Anura

Thanks for the advice. What do you mean by that last bit, though? Counter how?

If you hold down the shield button and press A you go into a counter stance and will block a hit and go into a new poke combo

You can even do it out of a poke combo string but only before the third poke

upandaway

Duramboros is the worst freaking guy. I was all innocent going into the quest with my LS... end up fighting him for ~40 minutes and failing the quest after he limped and went to sleep. The second time I used a GS, once again 30 freaking minutes (and I was landing full charges everywhere), 3 traps when exhausted, 5 flashbombs, died once, no potions left and I went to heal at the camp twice.

I was doing really bad with the LS because it was my first time with him, but the second time around I thought I did great and it just went on and on. If my performance was that bad and I couldn't even tell, that's just pathetic :(

If you hold down the shield button and press A you go into a counter stance and will block a hit and go into a new poke combo

You can even do it out of a poke combo string but only before the third poke
The greatest feeling for me in the game, right here. Even before landing a Level 3 smash charge, countering to maintain flow and dance around is so good. It's like no matter what they do you keep hitting like nobody's attacking you.

That level 3 smash is right after it, though. I once landed one in the MILLISECOND that Lagombi finished his quick circle (as in, Level 3 -> slap -> he spins around me -> Level 3 smash on his return). I think I wet my pants when that happened.

Gattuso

Can someone help me take on a Goldbeard Ceadeus? That thing hits pretty hard.
edit: after the hundredth time i finally did it.

The Technomancer

Can someone please explain the Jhen Mohran fight to me? The game certainly doesn't want to seem to. There's a gong, but it doesn't seem to do anything, even though it has a cooldown. There's a Dragonater but it seems like he's never actually close enough for me to use it in the first phase, so I don't know why its there. There are some Dragon Bombs that I can't place? I know I can run onto his back and I discovered that I can destroy the one spot on his back, but I always get "the Dragonship destroyed".

Should I be running up to him and attacking him in phase 2, or just firing balista ammo at him?

Can someone please explain the Jhen Mohran fight to me? The game certainly doesn't want to seem to. There's a gong, but it doesn't seem to do anything, even though it has a cooldown. There's a Dragonater but it seems like he's never actually close enough for me to use it in the first phase, so I don't know why its there. There are some Dragon Bombs that I can't place? I know I can run onto his back and I discovered that I can destroy the one spot on his back, but I always get "the Dragonship destroyed".

Should I be running up to him and attacking him in phase 2, or just firing balista ammo at him?

The gong is defensive. It will stop Jhen from ramming the boat. There is also a binder on the ballista in addition to the normal ballista shots. The binder is "ammo" you get in the chest but has a cool down. Use it to stop Jhen from ramming the boat and to hold it in place for a while.

Ballista Ammo can be found towards the front of the boat where you see a spear rack looking thing. The Ballista shots are useful for breaking Jhen's Tusks. There is cannon ball ammo at the back of the ship. The Dragonator can be used twice typically. The first use requires careful timing. At one point in the fight, Jhen will appear far to the front of the ship, then dive and attack from the bow. Use the dragonator here to both damage it and stop its attack. Again, you'll have to figure out the precise timing.

The second time to use the dragonator is during the second phase of the fight when you are on foot. The dragonator here is on the side of the ship, rather than the front. Use it when Jhen is very close. As for the dragon bombs, they can only be placed on top of Jhen. Best place to set them is on the tusks, but anywhere causes the same amount of damage.

To climb on Jhen, jump on the back flipper (look for the red arrow indicating when its close) and later you can jump on the tusks (again, look for the red arrow). You can run around on Jhen's back and attack the cracked scales to break them (there are two) or mine from the mineral rocks on its back if you have a pickaxe. Another breakable part are the scales on Jhen's arms. You can also attack Jhen directly when its close enough. Go for the arms/armpit when you can. Dragon and Ice are the regular Jhen's weakness. I think that hits all of the main points.

I have farmed 6* purple Ludroth, in the village and the port at least 25 times, and have not gotten on P. Talon, can anyone give me some advice? I need it for the Dier Evenodroth, any help would be appreciated.

also

Banned
I have farmed 6* purple Ludroth, in the village and the port at least 25 times, and have not gotten on P. Talon, can anyone give me some advice? I need it for the Dier Evenodroth, any help would be appreciated.
It's a G-rank carve, so farming him in the village or capturing won't work. You have to kill and carve him in the port (16%), Lv. 6-8.

If you have Windows, you should really use Ping's MH3G Dex.

It's a G-rank carve, so farming him in the village or capturing won't work. You have to kill and carve him in the port (16%), Lv. 6-8.

If you have Windows, you should really use Ping's MH3G Dex.

Thanks for the info, I don't have windows but I saw that there is a browser option too, so this will be my new go too! At least I can stop fighting p.lud over and over again, until I get a group together.

Chuckpebble

HR6 and I'm going nuts trying to get my first Uragaan Ruby. I've just given "Where's the Uragaan" a shot for the first time, and it seems like my easiest access to a G rank Uragaan for better drop rates. Killed the little bugger and carved 4 shards, which are useless to me at the moment, but wasn't able to sever his cute widdle tail. Anyone know if that's possible? I thought I was landing some pretty precise strikes, definitely damaged the tail.

By the way, the quest is a barrel of laughs. If Volvidon rolls into the rolling Uragaan, the little guy sends him flying every time.

Gattuso

Congrats. I couldn't beat that thing. I had GAF help me with it.
killing it in time was the hardest part (in addition to having enough stuff to get me through it)
i think i'm going to go find/make a room farming it so i can get the armor because all day yesterday i was doing 7* hunts which all the monsters could kill me in 1-3 hits. i don't even know why i stayed it seems like all the hr6 rooms i end up joining keep doing higher level hunts.

Killed the little bugger and carved 4 shards, which are useless to me at the moment, but wasn't able to sever his cute widdle tail. Anyone know if that's possible? I thought I was landing some pretty precise strikes, definitely damaged the tail.

It most definitely is. Looks hilarious seeing that small bit come flying off too.

Ugh cant get the lást moga quest (Heros something)

Also, I wanna make a volvi X armor, but need the damn talons, and I can't seem to found a port quest that has G volvis :(

Fewr

Ugh cant get the lást moga quest (Heros something)

Also, I wanna make a volvi X armor, but need the damn talons, and I can't seem to found a port quest that has G volvis :(

I'm not sure, but I remember one of the early g rank quests has jaggi and volvidon.

tuffy

I'm not sure, but I remember one of the early g rank quests has jaggi and volvidon.
Sweltering Showdown. Talons have pretty good odds in the quest rewards. However, the monster carves are all mega potions, so you'll need to capture the volvies for the best chance for parts. Rooms of hunters seem to like farming the quest for the Conqueror's Seal reward since a group of halfway decent players can clear it in about 5 minutes.

So close to my HR Zinogre set! Unfortunately I still need a Jasper(and 4 Electrofurs). During one of my runs he reacted the fastest I've seen any monster react when walking into a different area. He ran from 7 to 6 and when I got through(stopped to sharpen) he immediately did his forward paw slam and knocked me right back down the hill, haha.

In trying to learn lance, A. Rath was a real pain in the ass and one of the most difficult times I've had with anything in the game, though I didn't fail any of my runs on him. However, going from that to Zinogre has been great. Zin is a lot easier to manage with the lance and often pauses long enough to get 4-5 pokes in. However, I'm still having a tough time avoiding his triple paw slam, and eating all three breaks through my guard. Also, his tail whip jump often seems to catch me from the side(when guarding) and still sends me flying.

FlyFaster

So close to my HR Zinogre set! Unfortunately I still need a Jasper(and 4 Electrofurs). During one of my runs he reacted the fastest I've seen any monster react when walking into a different area. He ran from 7 to 6 and when I got through(stopped to sharpen) he immediately did his forward paw slam and knocked me right back down the hill, haha.

In trying to learn lance, A. Rath was a real pain in the ass and one of the most difficult times I've had with anything in the game, though I didn't fail any of my runs on him. However, going from that to Zinogre has been great. Zin is a lot easier to manage with the lance and often pauses long enough to get 4-5 pokes in. However, I'm still having a tough time avoiding his triple paw slam, and eating all three breaks through my guard. Also, his tail whip jump often seems to catch me from the side(when guarding) and still sends me flying.
unless you really want it, you shouldn't stress too much about HR equipment. Once you hit G rank you'll never use them except for novelty or unless you really like how they look. Just saying, don't feel pressured to stay in HR if you don't want to .

unless you really want it, you shouldn't stress too much about HR equipment. Once you hit G rank you'll never use them except for novelty or unless you really like how they look. Just saying, don't feel pressured to stay in HR if you don't want to .

well, the only HR equipment you should worry about are pieces with torso up...

The Technomancer

Blargh, I wish there were port versions of G-Rank quests. I need some components, more then I'm probably going to get playing with my friends once a week, and I'm not looking forward to a fight that not only is more difficult but is balanced around at least two people.

Blargh, I wish there were port versions of G-Rank quests. I need some components, more then I'm probably going to get playing with my friends once a week, and I'm not looking forward to a fight that not only is more difficult but is balanced around at least two people.

do you mean village versions of g-rank port quests?

I don't make much armor at all. All my playtime so far(once I started crafting) has been spent in LR Barroth and now in HR G. Jaggi, which I can't upgrade anymore(without GR armor spheres), so I figured I'd go for a Zinogre set to tide me over until I get to a set I want to make in GR. Zinogre is such a fun fight so I don't mind much, though I hope I don't get the furs and get stuck grinding forever for another Jasper(the first one dropping is what triggered me to go with this set). Thanks for the heads up, though.

Cerity

Just did the duramboros quest again, only fought him a handful of times in p3rd so forgot entirely what the fight was like. First time was with a hammer and took 42 minutes, 2nd time with a gunlance and only took 22 minutes. Breaking things with wyvern-fire will never get old.

Ceadeus time!

tuffy

Tips on farming Zinogre Jaspers?

I can't get any. ;____;
Kills are better than captures. 9 star Village quest "Howl at the Moon" works out to ~12% chance of at least one, while "Lurkers in the Woods" chain hunt is ~23% between the carves and quest rewards. G rank "Hunting the Hunter" is ~22% also and needs just one monster, but I'd rather tackle that one in a group.

SuperSah

Banned
Kills are better than captures. 9 star Village quest "Howl at the Moon" works out to ~12% chance of at least one, while "Lurkers in the Woods" chain hunt is ~23% between the carves and quest rewards. G rank "Hunting the Hunter" is ~22% also and needs just one monster, but I'd rather tackle that one in a group.

12% on the 9* quest? MonHun wikia says 2% :(

tuffy

12% on the 9* quest? MonHun wikia says 2% :(
If I'm doing my math right, it's 4 quest rewards with a 1% chance each along with 3 body carves at 3% chance each, which works out to about 12.3% chance of at least one between all of them. Still not a great chance, but shouldn't take too much real time depending on how fast you can clear it.

upandaway

Just did the duramboros quest again, only fought him a handful of times in p3rd so forgot entirely what the fight was like. First time was with a hammer and took 42 minutes, 2nd time with a gunlance and only took 22 minutes. Breaking things with wyvern-fire will never get old.

Ceadeus time!
After all of the problem I said I had with him, I tried him with the lance and was just fine (24min).
Though I don't know how much that counts, because I felt like the lance really breaks Duram. If he's head-first, anything he does can be countered into stomach hits (where you're completely safe). If he's trying the tail attacks, just shield bash into stomach hits (where you're completely safe). And of course the spins are a non-issue. There was barely a second that I wasn't hitting him.

Compare that to some other monsters, where I'm doing half the time with the GS versus the lance.

I'm feeling good about adding a new weapon, but not sure which yet. Not hammer/axe/S&S, maybe DS.. but I really don't wanna farm for dash extracts :(

Cerity

After all of the problem I said I had with him, I tried him with the lance and was just fine (24min).
Though I don't know how much that counts, because I felt like the lance really breaks Duram. If he's head-first, anything he does can be countered into stomach hits (where you're completely safe). If he's trying the tail attacks, just shield bash into stomach hits (where you're completely safe). And of course the spins are a non-issue. There was barely a second that I wasn't hitting him.

Compare that to some other monsters, where I'm doing half the time with the GS versus the lance.

I'm feeling good about adding a new weapon, but not sure which yet. Not hammer/axe/S&S, maybe DS.. but I really don't wanna farm for dash extracts :(

It's like that most times with the (gun)lance tbh. Having the shield means you can always be up close to the monster so you don't spend time running around and jumping in/out, off the top of my head the only monster you'll have an issue with is gigginoxs' poison cloud fart thing - Uragaan's sleep fart is blockable IIRC, that and monsters like los who spend the majority of their time in the air.

Combine that with dash juice and an autoguard charm and you're set with most monsters. I breezed through most of p3rd thanks to it, even the new monsters.

Right now I'm rotating hammer, LS and gunlance. I'll probably have to narrow down to hammer or GS to solo the G rank quests though.

The Technomancer

Oh come on. I hit Jhen Mohran with both Dragonator shots, broke one tusk and both spots on his back, wailed on him with ballista shots and cannonballs, tried to stave him off with gongs and binder shots and managed to get within five minutes of the time limit and I still couldn't drive him off before he "destroyed the Dragonship"

upandaway

Was the Jhen fight changed any from Tri? I don't remember ship damage being an issue at all as long as you gong him out ~3 times. One thing to watch out for is I think, there are some attacks that the binder shots doesn't actually stop (and the gong does).

If it wasn't changed, Tech you could watch this for tips

Anura

Was the Jhen fight changed any from Tri? I don't remember ship damage being an issue at all as long as you gong him out ~3 times. One thing to watch out for is I think, there are some attacks that the binder shots doesn't actually stop (and the gong does).

Purple Jhennifer has different patterns but blue is the exact same

The Technomancer

Fuck, its really a fight designed around multiplayer isn't it? The window to decide between gong and ballista binder seems really really short for a single person

I made it to High Rank! Now I'm stuck with all the things appearing in the forge menu.

I only have the Jaggi LR armor so far. I guess HR Jaggi will work for now, but what's a good armor for Dual Blades? I really liking them....

I suppose Elemental Attack Up or Status Up is a must for it?

upandaway

Fuck, its really a fight designed around multiplayer isn't it? The window to decide between gong and ballista binder seems really really short for a single person
In terms of deciding between gong or binder, you wanna keep the gong free because you can use it faster (in case of a surprise) and because of the gong-only attacks. So always use binder shots whenever possible.
That said, the gong is the better choice on the very first attack because then you prevent a situation where you're locked to using a gong because the binder isn't ready, which then locks you out of the gong for the gong-only attacks.

It's a ton easier when you have someone on ship duty but I know they made Jhen specifically easier to solo in 3U, so it's not impossible. Totally designed for 4 people, though, considering it was multi-only originally.

Top Bottom