• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
In terms of deciding between gong or binder, you wanna keep the gong free because you can use it faster (in case of a surprise) and because of the gong-only attacks. So always use binder shots whenever possible.
That said, the gong is the better choice on the very first attack because then you prevent a situation where you're locked to using a gong because the binder isn't ready, which then locks you out of the gong for the gong-only attacks.

It's a ton easier when you have someone on ship duty but I know they made Jhen specifically easier to solo in 3U, so it's not impossible. Totally designed for 4 people, though, considering it was multi-only originally.
Right, but I'm saying it seems like there are times where you have about three seconds between the beginning of his telegraph and the need to counter him, and that's an incredibly narrow window.

Anura

Right, but I'm saying it seems like there are times where you have about three seconds between the beginning of his telegraph and the need to counter him, and that's an incredibly narrow window.

He will ALWAYS do the same thing on phase one without fail like clockwork so learn the order

Don't worry you can do it! Don't give up

upandaway

Oh well, yeah like Anura said you should get a feel for it soon since his patter is pretty consistent. Just be conscious of giving yourself a few hands-free seconds once in a while. For example, when you know he didn't attack for over a minute, or when you're on your way back from cannonfire or ballista, it's a good idea to linger around with the binder/around the gong for an extra couple of seconds. Better lose some seconds here and there than fail the quest!

Plus, it's not like you have to block every single attack. If he caught you by surprise and you're scrambling to hit the gong, it's better to forget it and skip the attack so that you can keep the gong free for when you know you CAN do it properly. If you used the binder/gong too late, that's the worst case scenario.

If you did a good job blocking his attacks during phase 1, you can completely forget it during phase 2 and go wail on his legs, but I guess that's only for when you have already beaten him a few times.

upandaway

I tried out the Insect-thing DS (DRA 50) on Rathalos, and the Snow-thing DS (Ice 100) on Diablos... I destroyed Rathalos in my fastest time yet, and Diablos took me 27 minutes. I really expected to time out with such weak weapons haha, didn't know what I was getting into with the Dual Swords. It's crazy. The Diablos time is amazing considering it's my first Diablos since Tri, and I didn't bring any stamina-ups, traps, or sonic bombs.

I like it already! Still rocking starting armor @ no upgrades, so hopefully I can finish it up like this and get an HR armor for HR!
I shouldn't invest heavily in HR armor, right? Is there any good set to shoot for to carry me to G? Or should I get an LR armor and upgrade it to HR levels (I'm not missing armor spheres)?

Speaking fo Jhen Moran-- How big of a HP difference is there between a Village and a Port Jhen? If the battle is scaled for three or four people, playing it with two is probably a bad idea.

also

Banned
I tried out the Insect-thing DS (DRA 50) on Rathalos, and the Snow-thing DS (Ice 100) on Diablos... I destroyed Rathalos in my fastest time yet, and Diablos took me 27 minutes. I really expected to time out with such weak weapons haha, didn't know what I was getting into with the Dual Swords. It's crazy. The Diablos time is amazing considering it's my first Diablos since Tri, and I didn't bring any stamina-ups, traps, or sonic bombs.

I like it already! Still rocking starting armor @ no upgrades, so hopefully I can finish it up like this and get an HR armor for HR!
I shouldn't invest heavily in HR armor, right? Is there any good set to shoot for to carry me to G? Or should I get an LR armor and upgrade it to HR levels (I'm not missing armor spheres)?
I would forge some new armor for HR, unless you are really good ad dodging attacks. The latter HR armors will carry you through the early G-rank just fine, so find the armor with the skills you like and stick with it.

Speaking fo Jhen Moran-- How big of a HP difference is there between a Village and a Port Jhen? If the battle is scaled for three or four people, playing it with two is probably a bad idea.

Port is scaled for two people.

In terms of deciding between gong or binder, you wanna keep the gong free because you can use it faster (in case of a surprise) and because of the gong-only attacks. So always use binder shots whenever possible.
That said, the gong is the better choice on the very first attack because then you prevent a situation where you're locked to using a gong because the binder isn't ready, which then locks you out of the gong for the gong-only attacks.

It's a ton easier when you have someone on ship duty but I know they made Jhen specifically easier to solo in 3U, so it's not impossible. Totally designed for 4 people, though, considering it was multi-only originally.

Thanks for the tips. I'm still having trouble with that fight. Do you have any tips for avoiding damage during the first phase? I can't seem to figure out the right order and he keeps getting a few hits on the ship in. It doesn't seem possible to avoid any hits then but I'm sure I'm just going about it wrong. During phase two I target his right foot til it breaks, then go for the other, and I go for body shots when the gong flips him over.

What's the reset time on the Dragonator? I hit him with it during phase one, then at the beginning of phase two. I end up down past then 10 minute mark and it still doesn't reset. Is it single use during phase two?

upandaway

I don't think I should do this since I haven't fought him in 2 years, and never in 3U's solo, but I'll try (someone else can bail me out hopefully)

I'm stating the obvious, but you are completely free to attack:
- When he's far away with ballista
- When you're on him
- Right after he attacks, for a couple of minutes
- When both the gong and binder are unusable

If you combine them all together, and resolve to be as safe as possible (even at a high cost of dps) in times not in the above, then it shouldn't be that hard. Cautiously damage while waiting for first attack -> stop attack -> attack for a while -> repeat. You should still be able to get him in the time limit.
After accomplishing that, it's easier to work more damage in from a conservative run as a template, than work in gong/binder from an aggressive run. See, it's like every other fight in the game!

About the dragonator, maybe you're confusing 10 minutes of game time with 10 minutes in real life? Since they're not exactly the same time units (if it's the same as in Tri). But I'm not sure why you're hitting the dragonator in the beginning of phase 2 to begin with, it only works when Jhen is near the ship.

About the dragonator, maybe you're confusing 10 minutes of game time with 10 minutes in real life? Since they're not exactly the same time units (if it's the same as in Tri). But I'm not sure why you're hitting the dragonator in the beginning of phase 2 to begin with, it only works when Jhen is near the ship.

Thanks. I'm probably just taking the fight too aggressively and need to aim for just surviving until time runs out as my worst-case scenario.

By the beginning of phase two I mean as soon as he gets to the ship the first time, so within the first few minutes.

Yay, Jhen talk!

My question I have is concerning soloing the G-rank version. I read that either the Narga path or Blos path Heavy Bowgun are the way to go, with an armor set with Pierce Up, and Recoil Down.I made a set with both (Recoil down +2) and the Blos gun so far, but cannot find video of where and what to shoot!

I recall the last phase, needing to use the Pierce shots to take out the arms, but forgot where I saw that. Anyway, any help is nice... as I mainly need those pesky allbraces. and want to have those parts, before I go online with others.

Anura

Yay, Jhen talk!

My question I have is concerning soloing the G-rank version. I read that either the Narga path or Blos path Heavy Bowgun are the way to go, with an armor set with Pierce Up, and Recoil Down.I made a set with both (Recoil down +2) and the Blos gun so far, but cannot find video of where and what to shoot!

I recall the last phase, needing to use the Pierce shots to take out the arms, but forgot where I saw that. Anyway, any help is nice... as I mainly need those pesky allbraces. and want to have those parts, before I go online with others.

Shoot down the spine/back in phase one

Shoot down the spine/back in phase one
Awesome thanks! I assume with Pierce 3 shots (which I can use and make more)? Would Normal shots be ok to use? Also, a big question: Limiter on, or off?

EDIT: Yeah, bow gunning is all new to me. Also have a Kelbi bow, and a Giggi set, that when I played online was a great part breaker!

Anura

Awesome thanks! I assume with Pierce 3 shots (which I can use and make more)? Would Normal shots be ok to use? Also, a big question: Limiter on, or off?

EDIT: Yeah, bow gunning is all new to me. Also have a Kelbi bow, and a Giggi set, that when I played online was a great part breaker!

With the diablos HBG you want to have the limiter on and use seige/crouch fire all day

The narga one is better with the limiter off as it doesn't crouch fire too many good shots

Is night time freehunt the same as going to a HR D. Island quest? I think it is because I keep getting King Scarabs, but no Hercudromes. =(

Nor carbalite ore for that matter.

Insaniac

Woooh, I just got a Wii U and MHTri U and I'm gonna transfer my 3DS save and play online! I need some friends! My NNID is TheLintendo, please PM me if you add me :D

I'm still only HR2

Gattuso

I have love/hate thing going on with my Helios Z armor. I enjoy that I can take some hits now but when hunting I don't want to give up sharpness +1 to get rid of blunt edge or am I not seeing another way around this?

Anura

I have love/hate thing going on with my Helios Z armor. I enjoy that I can take some hits now but when hunting I don't want to give up sharpness +1 to get rid of blunt edge or am I not seeing another way around this?

If you trade the Helios coil Z for its X version it will net you both sharpness +1 and HG ears without blunt edge or (unfortunately) water attack +1

Gattuso

If you trade the Helios coil Z for its X version it will net you both sharpness +1 and HG ears without blunt edge or (unfortunately) water attack +1

Well water attack +1 wasn't of use to me with my current weapon so I don't feel its much of a loss for me but I'll go ahead and do that thanks.

FlyFaster

Plate on my first Ian capture in the game... I don't even want her armor. This is scaring me, I feel like all my luck was just spent on this.

Also, I had a hilariously pathetic time against Gobul with a Great Sword. I was so scared for the entire thing, it took me forever and had to actually forbid myself to attack for a few minutes to check if I can even avoid him period.
Maybe the GS is just bad underwater or something? I don't know. I'm fine with a hammer... it's so weird. Will try to practice it out.

And lastly, I originally planned on only upgrading to Barroth armor and using him for the rest of LR, but I can still do 4 stars fine with starting armor (I'm not used mega potions either), so I guess for now I'm trying a starting armor+potion+no sidekicks LR challenge, wish me luck.
I only used GS in Tri and now I use tons of weapons and I think GS is horrible underwater. It can be done of course, but it suffers pretty badly imo. For all water fights I use either Lance or Gun Lance. They have such as easy time moving through the water.

The Technomancer

Fuck, I hate getting stunned. I only ever faint these days when I can't dodge because I'm stunned

Or, put another way, the only time I lose is when the game takes control away from me

That sucks

Fuck, I hate getting stunned. I only ever faint these days when I can't dodge because I'm stunned

Or, put another way, the only time I lose is when the game takes control away from me

That sucks

Unless you're alone and facing multiple monsters, being stunned shouldn't be much of a problem. Are you spinning BOTH sticks really fast while using your remaining fingers to mash buttons? It literally lasts less than two seconds.

The Technomancer

Unless you're alone and facing multiple monsters, being stunned shouldn't be much of a problem. Are you spinning BOTH sticks really fast while using your remaining fingers to mash buttons? It literally lasts less than two seconds.

Two seconds can be enough to knock me out (usually with one big but easily dogable attack) if I'm low on health and haven't had a chance to run and heal yet

Mondriaan

Two seconds can be enough to knock me out (usually with one big but easily dogable attack) if I'm low on health and haven't had a chance to run and heal yet
There's an armor skill that negates stun. It also prevents stun with monsters that have flash attacks (the gobul and the crimson peco).

You might also consider picking up the eating armor skill. Drinking potions faster was a boon in the older MH games because the windows to drink potions safely was probably a bit less, but the eating armor skill probably still has its uses.

also

Banned
Hey, so what determines how many items I get at the end of a quest? Aside from the breakages and the Lucky Cats?

Killing: at least 3 carves
Capturing: 2 additional rewards, 0 carves

Good/Great Luck (Fate) increases the chance of getting more quest rewards.

Capture Expert/Master (Tranquilzr) gives you 1/2 additional capture reward(s).

Calibrated

Neo Member
Just got this a few days ago and I'm currently HR2 having fun chopping up everything in sight. Is anyone else on here relatively low rank and in EU that wants to join me in getting annihilated by big monsters? I don't know how to add my gamer tag to the list on Google docs or even if I'm supposed to do it myself lol.

Tag is korcha, hopefully can hunt some monsters soon with gaf.

upandaway

Failed a quest against Uragaan... the same exact weapon (Ludroth GS) whopped Agnaktor in 16 minutes, so what the hell? It just didn't end.

Now I remember why I hate fighting Uragaan. Part of me just wants to grab the lance again and get it over with quickly, but I'll try the DS.

That sucks
It already happened to me twice now, with raged Rathalos, where he chained me from full health to death, thanks to the stun. Both times started with a wind lock, then a couple of hits, then stun, then a fireball to the face which kills me. And I didn't have control for a second of it.

For the most part though stuns are my fault and I deserve the hit, and those few times wouldn't have happened if I had sidekicks/better armor, but it's still really frustrating.

profit

Got a Wii U for my birthday this weekend! I only have MH on my 3DS. Is it easy to connect and start playing online? hopefully I can buy a Wii U copy soon.

tuffy

Got a Wii U for my birthday this weekend! I only have MH on my 3DS. Is it easy to connect and start playing online? hopefully I can buy a Wii U copy soon.
The easiest way is to buy a Wii U copy, use the free 3DS Monster Hunter transfer tool to copy your data to it, and play the Wii U copy online. It's possible to use the Wii U as a bridge to play the 3DS copy online, but I believe it requires a USB ethernet connector for the Wii U and seems like a bit of a hack in general.

profit

The easiest way is to buy a Wii U copy, use the free 3DS Monster Hunter transfer tool to copy your data to it, and play the Wii U copy online. It's possible to use the Wii U as a bridge to play the 3DS copy online, but I believe it requires a USB ethernet connector for the Wii U and seems like a bit of a hack in general.
wait really? That sucks... Guess Ill wait a few more weeks untill I get some extra savings.

Cerity

I feel abusive using a hammer and having stamina thief active. I took the pink ian from just starting to stagger to dead without giving it a chance to actually fight back. Quite a lot of knocking over/stunning before it could do anything.

You need an ethernet cable, which in turn requires a Wii LAN adapter. It's a bit of a pain, but it works well. You end up having a dedicated screen to the chatbox.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I haven't checked this thread since I moved back to Japan, as I assumed I'd never be awake when people are playing, but with MH4 on the horizon here, I wanna get back in. I'll try to keep an eye on the thread.

Sorry guys!

(I'm G Rank, but I'm happy to help low and high rank players get through their key quests. If the gods deem it, I may even be awake to help American players)

upandaway

I'm also getting a Wii U fairly soon (didn't mean to get one for another year at least, but that ridiculous sale did it) so I'll play with whoever here is online. Barely did anything of the port yet, village only, but I'll do a little bit before I go online.

Failed a quest against Uragaan... the same exact weapon (Ludroth GS) whopped Agnaktor in 16 minutes, so what the hell? It just didn't end.

Now I remember why I hate fighting Uragaan. Part of me just wants to grab the lance again and get it over with quickly, but I'll try the DS.
Well that went better than expected :lol 18 minutes
Now that I think about it I haven't had a bad time yet with the DS. Hmm.

I'm also really, really loving that last phase in a quest where I run out of potions and fight for my life until I finish it. When I used mega potions in Tri, I never ran out of potions, so all I had to watch out for was not die. Though it also sucks sometimes, I did manage to beat Ceadeus on potions but that was clearly a mistake, I wish I packed mega potions for that one.

I'm also getting a Wii U fairly soon (didn't mean to get one for another year at least, but that ridiculous sale did it) so I'll play with whoever here is online. Barely did anything of the port yet, village only, but I'll do a little bit before I go online.
I'm only a little bit into HR port, but I don't mind tagging along in some older quests from time to time. I'm in Europe though, so I don't know how well that'll clash with your schedule.

Highwind

Just beat Dire Miralis today, he is so easy.

Now I am at a loss as to what to do next, maybe grind for new weapons and gear (been mainly using slime weapons).

upandaway

@Earth-man, I'm on GMT+2 so it works out. Hopefully I find the time regularly, because right now I'm spending most play time outside.

So I just beat the HR urgent, and the game freaking exploded out of nowhere. I think some fireworks came out of the cartridge or something. Whoa! All these quests, all these subspecies, the P3rd area, feels like the game only really started. I was honestly expecting something more like Tri's HR, which, y'know. My eyes were basically shining for the entire time scouting it out.

But I'm completely bummed out now because the only HR set I can get early with Focus is the Rhenoplos one, and it makes me look like a bumblebee whatever dude man. So now I'm thinking I'll just get the LR Lagi or Diablos sets or something.. this sucks!

Top Bottom