• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

FlyFaster

Just beat Dire Miralis today, he is so easy.

Now I am at a loss as to what to do next, maybe grind for new weapons and gear (been mainly using slime weapons).

Well at HR 40 (?) Lucent Narg is available and at HR70(?) Abyssal Lagiacrus is available. Of course, you can do both sooner if someone invites you.

Other then that, ya, just have fun. Make things you are missing, try new weapons, explore arena mode and try for faster times, create new sets, collect some of the awards, just have fun with friends online, ect...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Played a little last night to break in my new Pro Controller, and wow, it's fantastic. Possibly the best controller Nintendo's made... slight edge to the GameCube, maybe.

Only question is the map on my TV is zoomed in, any way to get it zoomed out? (I know the cursor will always be fricking tiny...)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I just ordered this tonight for my shiny new wii u. It'll be my first monster hunter game. Can't wait!

Any short advice?

Be patient. Don't be afraid to dodge or block. Drink potions whenever you get less than 50% health (herb + blue mushroom.) Keep your weapons as sharp as possible with whetstones. Try all the weapons and choose the one that feels best. You might be overwhelmed at first, but it's normal, everything will sink in over time.

We're all here in this thread to help you, don't hesitate to ask questions.

LTWood12

Be patient. Don't be afraid to dodge or block. Drink potions whenever you get less than 50% health (herb + blue mushroom.) Keep your weapons as sharp as possible with whetstones. Try all the weapons and choose the one that feels best. You might be overwhelmed at first, but it's normal, everything will sink in over time.

We're all here in this thread to help you, don't hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I'll definitely do this.

mileS

I'm a complete MH noob here. After playing around with all of the weapons I've narrowed it down to either Dual Swords or the Long Sword. Anybody with lots of experience care to share pros and cons? I know I can switch whenever but I'd like to actually stick with just one for a while until I start to master it.

Its all personal preference to a certain extent from what I heard, I guess I'm just looking for other opinions on it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Long Sword has a bad rap online for noob users knocking and interrupting other hunters without care, but for solo play it should be fine. If you're concerned about using it online, just be extra careful not to hit others. Long Sword has the potential highest damage per second of any weapon with the spirit gauge maxed.

Dual Swords are probably the funnest weapon to play with, IMO, even though I main Great Sword. Just so quick and you feel so light on your feet. Downside is low damage output and no ability to block (although, Long Sword can't block either.) Dual Swords also have a spirit gauge-like mechanic (demon mode) that crank up the damage multiplier. Honestly, they're both kinda similar.

upandaway

Welp, went with the LR Diablos armor. Focus is soooooo good. I was nailing level 3 charges on Diablos everywhere! Diablos! Now I'm officially ready for HR, but before that... gotta get some more extra size dung.

I'm a complete MH noob here. After playing around with all of the weapons I've narrowed it down to either Dual Swords or the Long Sword. Anybody with lots of experience care to share pros and cons? I know I can switch whenever but I'd like to actually stick with just one for a while until I start to master it.

Its all personal preference to a certain extent from what I heard, I guess I'm just looking for other opinions on it.
I think the DS are significantly easier to use effectively than the LS. At the core of good LS usage is the fade slash, which I found pretty hard to use. Nailing the spirit combo fully and often is also hard, and on some monsters borderline impossible (barring flinches, exhaustion etc). I also think it's easier to get and upgrade DS throughout low rank than the LS. You can get a good status LS really early, but then you're stuck with it for a pretty long time.

If your choice is between those two, I'd definitely go with the DS first until I'm comfortable with using another class. But really, you should get one good LS anyway, there's no harm using it every once in a while. And even if the DS fits way more monsters than LS, there are a select few that might be easier to you with the LS than DS (Gobul, maybe).

Long Sword has a bad rap online for noob users knocking and interrupting other hunters without care, but for solo play it should be fine. If you're concerned about using it online, just be extra careful not to hit others. Long Sword has the potential highest damage per second of any weapon with the spirit gauge maxed.

Dual Swords are probably the funnest weapon to play with, IMO, even though I main Great Sword. Just so quick and you feel so light on your feet. Downside is low damage output and no ability to block (although, Long Sword can't block either.) Dual Swords also have a spirit gauge-like mechanic (demon mode) that crank up the damage multiplier. Honestly, they're both kinda similar.
The gauge in DS isn't the demon mode, that's the stamina-draining thing. The gauge is for maintaining the 15% increase and some combos after demon mode is over (or is that still called demon mode? dunno)

Dunno if I agree that DS has the lowest damage output. With the right element, it can get pretty crazy. Does the LS still have the highest DPS, even when they fixed the spirit combo so that it drains the spirit gauge?

Anura

LS is surprisingly a easy to use hard to master kind of thing

Keeping that red bar up is very important, my times very widely depending on how many openings I can make/get (from a sub 8 min azure rath to almost double that)

As for DS well they always get me my best I. Lagi times

I'll definitely agree with the long sword users being annoying as hell online. Dual Swords are annoying as well for the same reasons mentioned about long swords, but generally, they are doing more damage so it's more forgivable.

Dual Swords seems to be the mash-friendly weapon.

Kandinsky

Lol this game is ridiculously easy with multiplayer, even 2p (which I'm currently playing), it kinda lost part of its appeal for me now.

upandaway

Lol this game is ridiculously easy with multiplayer, even 2p (which I'm currently playing), it kinda lost part of its appeal for me now.
Multiplayer was never really about the difficulty (in terms of not failing). It's more about working together to get the best times and perform techniques for farming and things like that. The teamwork displayed in some of the youtube videos demonstrating this is amazing. And generally, um, hunting together is just fun.
Multiplayer also serves as a way to make singleplayer harder, if you solo it, haha

I always wanted to see a monster designed to be actually hard in multiplayer just as much as it is in single. It won't have any single target to focus on, so it would have things like tons of AoE attacks, attacks do multiple things at the same time (like both a fireball and a tail swipe), projectiles that shoot at all players at the same time, etc. That way it won't be any harder in single but it will scale up.

Multiplayer was never really about the difficulty (in terms of not failing).
Did you play Monster Hunter 1?
Maybe I was just all sorts of bad back then but it feels like a world of difference compared to the more recent games. Even stuff like Powderstone was madly sadistic.

upandaway

Maybe I was just all sorts of bad back then but it feels like a world of difference compared to the more recent games. Even stuff like Powderstone was madly sadistic.
Haha really? How was it any different from now? I only know of the Tri world.

I do know MH1 was just a ton harder in general because of how limited everything was. Looking at a DS fight on Youtube now, it's just scary. It's like using a hammer today!

Anura

Console MH games are also designed around multiplayer

Handheld ones make everything solo-able

With that said gen 2 and back is absurdly hard like the cats on the powderstone quests... Ugh those cats

Man, I give up. I need a wyvern stone to finish the Qurupeco U armor but no dice.

And how come the hitbox on Plesioth's hipcheck is STILL broken?

FlyFaster

You know, I hear this constantly, yet whenever I go online players are fainting left and right. Trying to find a team that won't die for event monsters is unbelievably hard. I/lagi, super Zin, naked Jho, ect.

Mondriaan

Console MH games are also designed around multiplayer

Handheld ones make everything solo-able

With that said gen 2 and back is absurdly hard like the cats on the powderstone quests... Ugh those cats
Ever since MH became a breakout hit, it's been all about how to get more casual, non-gaming types of people to play. I don't really get much of the feeling of playing MH gen 2 from gen 3, and at this point I'm hoping that some other hunting action game brings back that magic.

Anura

It's the plesioths' signature move really. Plus they'd actually have to think about making other things annoying about the fight if they fixed the hipcheck.

Dat tail sweep

Also in MH 4 there needs to be a kitchen skill that lets me spawn with the monster

Roubjon

I started rockin' the switch axe a couple of days ago and it's rad as hell. I manged to get the Dios Axe+ and it destroys everything. As of now though I'm thinking it'd be really fun to get some of the Nargacuga's weapons because after farming the Azure Rathalos and getting the Critical Eye +3 skill from it's armor I'd have a ridiculous affinity level.

Hellraider

Ever since MH became a breakout hit, it's been all about how to get more casual, non-gaming types of people to play. I don't really get much of the feeling of playing MH gen 2 from gen 3, and at this point I'm hoping that some other hunting action game brings back that magic.
Tri on Wii is pretty much the best balance between difficulty and everything else aside content.If it had G rank it would have been out of this world. It's a shame P3rd and 3U are so much easier.I really hope for a small increase in difficulty with gen 4, although I really doubt it.

upandaway

Gave up on trying out the bow (unless someone can help me out here). At least on the 3DS, even with the Circle Pro, I just don't get how you're supposed to move the camera while charging. Looking at the Wii U, it should have the same problem, though I never tried it.

Why didn't they assign charging to the R button like with the hammer? Oh well. Saves me the trouble of getting gunner armor, I guess.. that means I only have the Gunlance and Hunting Horn left

tuffy

Gave up on trying out the bow (unless someone can help me out here). At least on the 3DS, even with the Circle Pro, I just don't get how you're supposed to move the camera while charging. Looking at the Wii U, it should have the same problem, though I never tried it.

Why didn't they assign charging to the R button like with the hammer? Oh well. Saves me the trouble of getting gunner armor, I guess.. that means I only have the Gunlance and Hunting Horn left
I believe the general idea is that you hold X to charge arrows, then hit R to go into aim mode (which puts the camera behind the character), and point your shot using the D pad (instead of the analog stick). Different charge levels fire different sorts of arrows (pierce/spread/rapid) but charging consumes stamina. Oh, and Y functions as dodge while charging.

upandaway

I guess my problem is that I'm trying to move, period, while charging (which is why I wanna change the camera fluidly). I saw some videos and the "standard attack" seems to be to just charge to level 2 with focus, and shoot on the spot. Even with level 3, it's just charge and shoot on the spot, everything else preceding it, no one bothering to change the aim after pressing X.

I was kinda approaching it from the hammer perspective of "charge first, think later". This flips my whole world around, man. I think it's too heavy for me right now.
Using bows for status seems to be hilariously easy, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's really small on Wii U as well. Would really love one more patch to include text size settings.

If you are talking about the 3DS version then no. The text is pretty much garbage, especially on the XL.

I'm on the Wii u. I have great vision but I have to get super close to read the text. Is there really anything worth reading? I've been just scrolling through it with 0 fucks given so far.

Also when I complete a quest and I get my reward, I've just been selling everything. Is there some shit I should be keeping? I'm only like 5 hours in.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You've been skipping Guil Waifu's conversations?
zWVbK.gif

Ah well, more for me.

Also you generally shouldn't sell everything (or anything, even) because it could come in handy down the line.

Roubjon

I'm on the Wii u. I have great vision but I have to get super close to read the text. Is there really anything worth reading? I've been just scrolling through it with 0 fucks given so far.

Also when I complete a quest and I get my reward, I've just been selling everything. Is there some shit I should be keeping? I'm only like 5 hours in.

You should be keeping everything. Chances are you will need the materials that they give you to make something down the line, whether it be for item crafting purposes, weapons, armor, or even villager requests.

Kazerei

Banned
Any tips for Miralis Event? >.>

Get some really amazing teammates, that's how I beat it :p

The event was more of an endurance challenge than anything. We all stocked up on healing items and combo materials, and we were nearly depleted by the end of it. Amazingly, nobody died because we were healing each other with lifepowders, and nobody got hit with a major attack. Those tail and claw grazes do a good chunk of damage though. In total we must've used like 30 lifepowders over the course of the hunt.

Ricky 7

Hey guys since that Hunt & Gift promotion NoE is doing for this game is coming to an end I was wondering if any of you guys had a spare recommendation code that you'll never use? It's cool if you don't but I thought I might as well ask because there's no harm in asking.

upandaway

I tried the Pink Rathian quest at least 5 times today, it's completely blocking me.
First, I forgot psychoserum and wandered around for 10 minutes before finally abandoning. Then I saw it and got destroyed by the 2 new moves, died twice and abandoned. Then I lost all my potions in a few minutes to poison (stupid new tail flip) because I didn't bring antidotes, abandoned. Then I tried twice more and just plain failed because I couldn't fight my habits from normal Rathian.

Will try again tomorrow :lol I keep dying for stupid reasons so I'm not upgrading my armor yet.

Kazerei

Banned
What armor set should I make next? I've just been doing quests randomly, but now I want sort of a purpose. I'm a dual blades user, and so far I have the Bnahabra X, Nargacuga X, Brachydios X, Helios X, and Yamato Prime sets.

I spent like 2 hours looking at all the dual swords trees and choosing 3 different paths and mapping out the quests I need to complete go get parts and then I was online and on a whim decided to try out the switch axe and it was awesome and a few hours later I'm working on my combos with a new Dios Axe. This game is awesome.

Also I'm having trouble switching mid-combo to sword. Any advice?

Roubjon

I spent like 2 hours looking at all the dual swords trees and choosing 3 different paths and mapping out the quests I need to complete go get parts and then I was online and on a whim decided to try out the switch axe and it was awesome and a few hours later I'm working on my combos with a new Dios Axe. This game is awesome.

Also I'm having trouble switching mid-combo to sword. Any advice?

If you are starting out on axe mode, the only way to switch to the sword mode during combos is by hitting the switch button (R) after doing the forward lunge attack in axe mode. This is that attack that you can do easily just by holding forward with your weapon sheathed and then hitting the attack button, taking out your axe in the process. So once you do that, now you are in Sword mode. If you find yourself running out of juice in sword mode, all you have to do to keep your combo going and smoothly transition to axe mode is do the horizontal slash attack (A) and then hit the switch button (R) right afterwards. This will then change to axe mode and you can start building up juice again.

And I did the same thing you did btw. I got the Dios axe and starting destroying monsters left and right. Then I upgraded it to the Dios+ Axe and I was invincible. It's ridiculous. I'm thinking of switching it up (no pun intended) soon though, I've been using the Dios Axe for like, 20 hours. I had the Azure Rathalos armor with it as well, so the small amount blue sharpness that comes with it lasts forever with that Sharpness skill.

If you are starting out on axe mode, the only way to switch to the sword mode during combos is by hitting the switch button (R) after doing the forward lunge attack in axe mode. This is that attack that you can do easily just by holding forward with your weapon sheathed and then hitting the attack button, taking out your axe in the process. So once you do that, now you are in Sword mode. If you find yourself running out of juice in sword mode, all you have to do to keep your combo going and smoothly transition to axe mode is do the horizontal slash attack (A) and then hit the switch button (R) right afterwards. This will then change to axe mode and you can start building up juice again.

And I did the same thing you did btw. I got the Dios axe and starting destroying monsters left and right. Then I upgraded it to the Dios+ Axe and I was invincible. It's ridiculous. I'm thinking of switching it up (no pun intended) soon though, I've been using the Dios Axe for like, 20 hours. I had the Azure Rathalos armor with it as well, so the small amount blue sharpness that comes with it lasts forever with that Sharpness skill.

Thanks! I'll practice on some smaller monsters for a bit.

Nice! I got really lucky. I only went on two Brachydios quests and somehow I got everything I needed for it. The last I needed was actually money for that axe. I hope it lasts me a while! I really need to step up my armor though. I'm still running around with a Ludroth set or a random assortment of equipment that gives me +13 fire and minus on everything haha.

Edit: also is that the only set that gives you the sharpness skill? I've heard about it but I thought it would be really hard to get.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Beat Heaven and Earth.
MN5E93F.png
Took 40 mins, so rusty. v_v

After finishing Glacial Agnaktor and Steel Uragaan last night in Moga I'm three steps closer to Ivory Lagi and beating the main game.
75bs7Dh.gif

Only Black Diablos left in 9-star...
yE030JI.png

Cerity

I tried the Pink Rathian quest at least 5 times today, it's completely blocking me.
First, I forgot psychoserum and wandered around for 10 minutes before finally abandoning. Then I saw it and got destroyed by the 2 new moves, died twice and abandoned. Then I lost all my potions in a few minutes to poison (stupid new tail flip) because I didn't bring antidotes, abandoned. Then I tried twice more and just plain failed because I couldn't fight my habits from normal Rathian.

Will try again tomorrow :lol I keep dying for stupid reasons so I'm not upgrading my armor yet.

Heh, I like the pink rath fight because it turns the relatively safe place that is it's belly into a dangerzone you don't want anything to do with.

upandaway

Heh, I like the pink rath fight because it turns the relatively safe place that is it's belly into a dangerzone you don't want anything to do with.
Really what made it the hardest for me was just the different AI, after I got used to the moves. The bite explosion is still a massive slap in the face, but just the amount of times she repeats the same move fried my brain. 5 dash-to-bite one after another. 6 (3 then 3) tail flips one after another. Over and over and over and over and over again. Tail swipes too, 90% of the time she just freaking does it again.

Anyway my scary luck with Rathian continues, after getting 2 plates really fast in LR, I just got a ruby from the Jaggi+P.Rathian quest. I only did 6 Rathians total in the game so far (and 1 is moga woods)... did they change only her drop % or something? Or am I hideously lucky.

whenitrains

Neo Member
Hey guys, which one do you guys prefer, wide or long GL? I'm thinking of trying to use GL.

On an unrelated note, I nearly killed Brachy (he was limping and stuff) but suddenly I was paralyzed by those stupid bugs and got horn blasted by Brach to death.urgh

Insaniac

any MH experts could answer me this question:

what would be better skill on a bow build

Power Coat or Thunder attack +2?

I'm using Arko Du with 180 base damage, and 370 thunder damage. I have Thunder attack +1 already, and can either gem in +2 or get power coat.

Thunder attack +2 would take it from 400 to 440 thunder damage.

Top Bottom