• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

any MH experts could answer me this question:

what would be better skill on a bow build

Power Coat or Thunder attack +2?

I'm using Arko Du with 180 base damage, and 370 thunder damage. I have Thunder attack +1 already, and can either gem in +2 or get power coat.

Thunder attack +2 would take it from 400 to 440 thunder damage.

My general rule of thumb is if a bow doesn't have PC you need to fix it ASAP

When comparing the boost between AuL and having power coatings the power coatings win

Just be sure to bring combines

any MH experts could answer me this question:

what would be better skill on a bow build

Power Coat or Thunder attack +2?

I'm using Arko Du with 180 base damage, and 370 thunder damage. I have Thunder attack +1 already, and can either gem in +2 or get power coat.

Thunder attack +2 would take it from 400 to 440 thunder damage.

power or slime coat.

altho slime coat, overpowered, bla bla bla

enjoy bowing the shit out of rathian :)

Beat Heaven and Earth.
MN5E93F.png
Took 40 mins, so rusty. v_v

After finishing Glacial Agnaktor and Steel Uragaan last night in Moga I'm three steps closer to Ivory Lagi and beating the main game.
75bs7Dh.gif

Only Black Diablos left in 9-star...
yE030JI.png

be careful with ivory lagiacrus. he is the ruler of land and sea, actually.

he is a wimp

tuffy

Someone tell me Black Diablos isn't as bad as my nightmares inform me...
High rank Black Diablos is a pain, but totally manageable since it's just like regular Diablos with a bit more rage.

G rank Black Diablos is nightmare fuel once he burrows underground. Sometimes he'll tremor underneath you and while you're stumbling around helplessly... *boom!* off to the cart. Or he'll launch up from underground at a 45° angle and hit half the people in the room as he goes by. It's helpful to fight it with status effects like paralysis or sleep to immobilize it so the rest of the team can pummel him into submission.

Malio

Just got my Wii U and grabbed MH3U over the weekend! Newb here but having fun, and getting pretty good NNID: Malholio (anyone who plays online feel free to add!)

Would like to do more online. Just beat Royal Ludroth so that gives you an idea of how far along I am. ;)

Fought Brachydios for the first time, got my ass kicked. The second one went way better, but I still hate all that AOE.

Switch Axe small sidesteps don't help.

Dizzy-4U

Just got my Wii U and grabbed MH3U over the weekend! Newb here but having fun, and getting pretty good NNID: Malholio (anyone who plays online feel free to add!)

Would like to do more online. Just beat Royal Ludroth so that gives you an idea of how far along I am. ;)
Iou mate, same here. Bought the Wii U on saturday with MH3U and I've been playing for like 15 hours already.

Right now I just got Cha-Cha so basically I'm doing Lvl.3 quests. Playing with a jaggi armor set and jaggi blades (I tried bows but I can hit shit with them).

If you wanna hang out and kill some stuff let me know. ID: Dizzy4U

vareon

Guys, I have been out of the loop for a few months. I just downloaded the event DLCs and have a few questions.

- Anything on the level of the Ivory Lagiacrus a few months back? (Where you can get the Gunlance)
- The next week DLC is "Second coming"--is this the G rank Alateron?

Kazerei

Banned
Someone tell me Black Diablos isn't as bad as my nightmares inform me...

I have a lot of trouble fighting Black Diablos. There's not much safe place to stand and not much window of opportunity to attack. I always bring traps so I can beat him up for awhile. BTW he always jumps in the air after breaking out of pitfall traps, which leaves him vulnerable to be knocked out of the air with a flash bomb. If you're trying to break horns, the pitfall trap to flash bomb trick helps a lot.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just beat Black Diablos! Ivory Lagi unlocked!!
75bs7Dh.gif
75bs7Dh.gif
75bs7Dh.gif

She wasn't as scary as I imagined, but she's still pretty terrifying in rage made. The speed at which she can pop out of ground on the other side of the area and be right on you... *shudders* Lord help the male Diablos trying to mate with her this way, lmao.

Actually when I killed it I was like "wait, what?" I guess I was expecting it to limp or something lol, but the fact it retreated and was sleeping should have been a clue. Ah well, one less shock trap used.

Saw the newly unlocked "Triumph of the Tyrants" quest...
yE030JI.png

Looking forward to beating Ivory Lagi. I know that two(?) more quests open up after beating him and I'm excited for those but I consider them post-game. (Kinda want to cross this off my backlog, since I count it as two games (3DS+Wii U) lol.)

Anura

Just beat Black Diablos! Ivory Lagi unlocked!!
75bs7Dh.gif
75bs7Dh.gif
75bs7Dh.gif

She wasn't as scary as I imagined, but she's still pretty terrifying in rage made. The speed at which she can pop out of ground on the other side of the area and be right on you... *shudders* Lord help the male Diablos trying to mate with her this way, lmao.

Actually when I killed it I was like "wait, what?" I guess I was expecting it to limp or something lol, but the fact it retreated and was sleeping should have been a clue. Ah well, one less shock trap used.

Saw the newly unlocked "Triumph of the Tyrants" quest...
yE030JI.png

Looking forward to beating Ivory Lagi. I know that two(?) more quests open up after beating him and I'm excited for those but I consider them post-game. (Kinda want to cross this off my backlog, since I count it as two games (3DS+Wii U) lol.)

Post game is only after G rank! What's wrong with you? Smelly casuals ruining my game!
just kidding but just know you are missing some of the monsters without G

Grats on the black blos though!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'll have to get higher than HR4 to even think about G rank lol, and nobody on GAF wants to play with me. :(

Plus Jhen Moran sucks.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I have a lot of trouble fighting Black Diablos. There's not much safe place to stand and not much window of opportunity to attack. I always bring traps so I can beat him up for awhile. BTW he always jumps in the air after breaking out of pitfall traps, which leaves him vulnerable to be knocked out of the air with a flash bomb. If you're trying to break horns, the pitfall trap to flash bomb trick helps a lot.

He?

Black Diablos is female. :p

Cerity

Heh, just did the 7* village jhen mohran quest, took 2 tries to remember the things about the fight but managed to repel it in the end. Shame it's a much funner fight online, all these big dragon fights are.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What do the books do? You can set traps faster?

Sorry for the noob questions.

Every time you combine items to make a new one (Honey + Potion = Mega Potion, etc.) there's a chance of it failing. The books lower that chance, having all of them makes it essentially zero.

FlyFaster

made the Alucanth X armor. I really like the way this looks, but not digging the waist part. Will have to do some mixing and matching.

Also, I think the armor should have gotten another skill. Honey is pretty much a throw away skill.

Dizzy-4U

Every time you combine items to make a new one (Honey + Potion = Mega Potion, etc.) there's a chance of it failing. The books lower that chance, having all of them makes it essentially zero.
Books increase the % for a combination to be successful. During quests they only work if you have them in your pouch.
Yup, I'm dumb. I was thinking about attack combos, not the actual combination combos. That explains it. I was running like an idiot hitting things with the books equipped expecting better attacks.

seantos

Neo Member
Hey guys, so I basically picked up a wii u for monster hunter and now I am a little confused about the multiplayer. There are three of us who want to play together and two of us have the wii u version and one has the 3ds version. If we are all in the same room is there a way for us to play together? If we connect the 3ds to one of the wii u's can you still have someone playing on that wii u and can both of them go online together to play with the third person on a different wii u? Is there any way to do it all locally? Also I assume I need a USB LAN adaptor correct?

tuffy

Hey guys, so I basically picked up a wii u for monster hunter and now I am a little confused about the multiplayer. There are three of us who want to play together and two of us have the wii u version and one has the 3ds version. If we are all in the same room is there a way for us to play together? If we connect the 3ds to one of the wii u's can you still have someone playing on that wii u and can both of them go online together to play with the third person on a different wii u? Is there any way to do it all locally? Also I assume I need a USB LAN adaptor correct?
The Wii U can host a local multiplayer room with multiple 3DS people, but the Wii U can't join a local multiplayer room as a guest. Multiple Wii U people can join an online multiplayer room in order to play together, but the 3DS can't go online unless a Wii U is functioning as a bridge (with the USB LAN adapter). But the Wii U can't bridge the 3DS online and play the game at the same time.

If it were 1 Wii U and 2 3DSes, it'd be straightforward. Or 3 Wii Us. But I'm not sure about 2 Wii Us and 1 3DS without swapping out some hardware.

seantos

Neo Member
The Wii U can host a local multiplayer room with multiple 3DS people, but the Wii U can't join a local multiplayer room as a guest. Multiple Wii U people can join an online multiplayer room in order to play together, but the 3DS can't go online unless a Wii U is functioning as a bridge (with the USB LAN adapter). But the Wii U can't bridge the 3DS online and play the game at the same time.

If it were 1 Wii U and 2 3DSes, it'd be straightforward. Or 3 Wii Us. But I'm not sure about 2 Wii Us and 1 3DS without swapping out some hardware.
Well that is a little disappointing to hear. I don't suppose there are any workarounds or hacks that let you create a bridge with a pc instead of a wii u?

FlyFaster

Ah thanks very much! I have missed a lot of these swords and I need to start doing the quests for them. But some like Deviljho without armor and Cruel King are just too hard...

Cruel King of the Seas is a hard quest but it's mainly, imo, because the vast majority of people you play with will cart.

I don't know what weapon you use/are proficient with but if you use Lance/GunLance you are wear Anga Z and just wear him down over time. It's not fast but it will get the job done and you'll be mostly safe.

Just be careful online with this quest of players who come in and use weapons that can't block. 90%+ of players don't have the skill to evade correctly and will cart. Gunners can be 1 hit KO'd.

The hardest part of this quest for me was finding a team that wouldn't cart 3 times... My best experience was with a player name Leo. He used GS and I used GL and we 2 manned it. It was really nice playing with someone who was good and took it seriously, i.e. just didn't rely on the team to do all the work. Then again, with 2 people you really can't. It wasn't the fastest kill time by any means, but we got it done without any hiccups.

Finally, a good GS set with Sharp +1 and Crit Draw (among other skills) would work as well. Just use a "hit and run" style. Crit draw attack >sheathe> get away/reposition>repeat. Not as safe as the lance/GL tactic above but this will work as well.

good luck man.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Beat Ivory Lagi! What a wimp, lol. The
modded MH3 credits with Cha-Cha and Kayamba
was totally worth it though.

I actually had a bit of fun taking it easy against him. Want to make some armor out of him but it doesn't seem worth it now that I'm at the end of HR...

Qurupeke

Cruel King of the Seas is a hard quest but it's mainly, imo, because the vast majority of people you play with will cart.

I don't know what weapon you use/are proficient with but if you use Lance/GunLance you are wear Anga Z and just wear him down over time. It's not fast but it will get the job done and you'll be mostly safe.

Just be careful online with this quest of players who come in and use weapons that can't block. 90%+ of players don't have the skill to evade correctly and will cart. Gunners can be 1 hit KO'd.

The hardest part of this quest for me was finding a team that wouldn't cart 3 times... My best experience was with a player name Leo. He used GS and I used GL and we 2 manned it. It was really nice playing with someone who was good and took it seriously, i.e. just didn't rely on the team to do all the work. Then again, with 2 people you really can't. It wasn't the fastest kill time by any means, but we got it done without any hiccups.

Finally, a good GS set with Sharp +1 and Crit Draw (among other skills) would work as well. Just use a "hit and run" style. Crit draw attack >sheathe> get away/reposition>repeat. Not as safe as the lance/GL tactic above but this will work as well.

good luck man.
I use a LS but I usually don't die on this quest. Some people just go totally unprepared. I've seen some with Thunder res -20 trying to beat it. I think I've beat it 2 times and I have 3 of the item for the gunlance.
I don't know if I should use a blocking weapon, as on 200+ hours I was playing only with LS, but probably I'll give it a try.

Chuckpebble

Beat Ivory Lagi! What a wimp, lol. The
modded MH3 credits with Cha-Cha and Kayamba
was totally worth it though.

I actually had a bit of fun taking it easy against him. Want to make some armor out of him but it doesn't seem worth it now that I'm at the end of HR...

That spoilered bit. Absolutely loved that. My kids actually ask me to show that to them every now and again.

Don't know how, but I somehow put 20 hous into this game. I feel like I've only been playing for like 30 minutes.

I just finished hunting a Gobul, I hate underwater monsters though.

I gotta couple questions:

1. Sometimes when I attack monsters my blade bounces off of them, why does that happen?

2. After I do a free roam hunt and return to the elders sons, should I convert some of the items to resources? I don't see an option to send it to my item box, so I'm guessing it's safe.

3. What's the best armor for a Low Rank Blade Master? I'm still using the 1st set I bought early in the game, and I'm assuming it's gonna bite me in the ass eventually.

4. Should I even be worrying about jewels this early in the game?

5. I started with the bone blade and have upgraded to the cataclysm sword. Should I stick with this path or is there a recommended upgrade route for Great Sword weilders?

6. Are there any items I can consume that adds buffs or elemental damage to my weapons?

Chuckpebble

1. bouncing is a result of your weapon's sharpness. Different parts of a monster are harder, and require sharper weapons to pass through them. You can counter this by making sure your weapon is sharp, aiming for different parts of the monster, getting weapons with higher sharpness levels and lastly, there's an armor skill that prevents you from ever bouncing called mind's eye. You'll do less damage, and still get a yellow flash with the *thunk* sound, but you won't get the really dangerous bounce back stagger which can really turn things for the worse.

Top Bottom