• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

tuffy

Don't know how, but I somehow put 20 hous into this game. I feel like I've only been playing for like 30 minutes.

I just finished hunting a Gobul, I hate underwater monsters though.
Everybody hates underwater monsters, I think. The slowness, the camera, just the whole thing.
1. Sometimes when I attack monsters my blade bounces off of them, why does that happen?
I believe it's a matter of weapon sharpness and the durability of the monster part you're hitting. If you can't get your weapon any sharper, you may need to target a softer area of the monster.
2. After I do a free roam hunt and return to the elders sons, should I convert some of the items to resources? I don't see an option to send it to my item box, so I'm guessing it's safe.
You should be able to put rewards from the hunt report into your item box. Some of these will be useful for trading with the Argosy captain for fishing fleet upgrades and other goodies. Whether to convert to resources depends on if you need the parts or not.
3. What's the best armor for a Low Rank Blade Master? I'm still using the 1st set I bought early in the game, and I'm assuming it's gonna bite me in the ass eventually.
Even cheap sets like Alloy or Jaggi will offer more useful combat skills than armor like chainmail or leather that you start out with. But the amount of armor spheres you put into upgrading will make the most difference when it comes to defense.
4. Should I even be worrying about jewels this early in the game?
Decorations can be helpful even early on since some of the cheap skills like capture guru and pro transporter are most useful on the capturing the transporting quests that litter the early levels. It's the game's way of teaching you how to make use of skills, perhaps.

5. I started with the bone blade and have upgraded to the cataclysm sword. Should I stick with this path or is there a recommended upgrade route for Great Sword weilders?
It might be worth checking an online Great Sword tree to see what upgrades into what. I'm not really sure what works best for Great Swords, though.
6. Are there any items I can consume that adds buffs or elemental damage to my weapons?
There's bound to be some meal from the cat chef that boosts damage, but most of the food/drink you consume during a hunt is there to keep your health/stamina up rather than increasing attack outright.

upandaway

I don't think it's that necessary, even for new players, to make so many sets in LR. Jaggi should be good enough to last until the end of LR, as long as you upgrade it. In the worst case scenario, he can always bail to a new armor set after he gets stuck with an unbeatable monster.. although Jaggi is a good set against hard monsters (stun). Better than Lagi's, at least.

Just make sure to make the Loc Lac set as early as you can. And if you're using Jaggi, make some decorations to make the Attack (S) into Attack (M) (just put two Attack +1 gems on the armor, I think it was).

You should be able to put rewards from the hunt report into your item box. Some of these will be useful for trading with the Argosy captain for fishing fleet upgrades and other goodies. Whether to convert to resources depends on if you need the parts or not.

Thanks. I'm not really low on resources right now, so I won't convert those items unless I really need to.

Even cheap sets like Alloy or Jaggi will offer more useful combat skills than armor like chainmail or leather that you start out with. But the amount of armor spheres you put into upgrading will make the most difference when it comes to defense.

I'm just gettnig around to understanding how skills work. What are the most useful skills to have this early on in the game? When I go to the blacksmith, I'm not seeing any Attack Jewels so I'm assuming they'll show up later on.

There's bound to be some meal from the cat chef that boosts damage, but most of the food/drink you consume during a hunt is there to keep your health/stamina up rather than increasing attack outright.

Ok cool thanks. I've totally been ignoring the chef. Right now I don't think I really need any boosts as I've been doing pretty good handling the large monsters I've encountered so far.

I don't think it's that necessary, even for new players, to make so many sets in LR. Jaggi should be good enough to last until the end of LR, as long as you upgrade it. In the worst case scenario, he can always bail to a new armor set after he gets stuck with an unbeatable monster.. although Jaggi is a good set against hard monsters (stun). Better than Lagi's, at least.

Thanks for the info. Jaggi it is. All I need is one more King's Frill.

Just make sure to make the Loc Lac set as early as you can. And if you're using Jaggi, make some decorations to make the Attack (S) into Attack (M) (just put two Attack +1 gems on the armor, I think it was).

What's so special about the Loc Lac set? Is it the Pro Transporter skill? Jaggi armor doesn't have 2 gem slots per peice. If I put one in the Jaggi Helm and another in the Jaggi Greaves, will that make it an Attack (M)?

upandaway

I just checked to make sure, yeah, the whole set has 3 slots which is enough. Jaggi gives you Attack +13, so all you need is add 2 more points to boost it up.

It seems the Attack Up jewels were changed (since Tri) from jaggi scales only to jaggi scales + might seed, so that's probably why you can't see them yet. Just get some might seeds.

By the way, always eat before a quest, there's no reason not to. Meat + anything boosts attack, fish + bread boosts defense and gives Defender High. Fish + dairy gives you the 3 best skills for gathering or for egg transportation (different cooking methods). Fish + vegetable can give you Trainer which is a good throwaway skill for easy farming quests.
This is all off memory so I could be wrong on the combinations, but these are usually the ones I use.

Edit: Also about Loc Lac, yeah. Don't go into an egg quest without Pro Transporter + Felyne Lander.

tuffy

I'm just gettnig around to understanding how skills work. What are the most useful skills to have this early on in the game? When I go to the blacksmith, I'm not seeing any Attack Jewels so I'm assuming they'll show up later on.
Attack Jewel 1 should be available almost right away since it's just 1 Aquaglow Jewel, 2 Jaggi Scales and 1 Might Seed. But it only offers 1 point of Attack and you'll need to have at least 10 points of Attack over all your armor and decorations to activate the Attack Up skill and get the damage boost. Naturally there's an Attack Jewel 2 and 3 which add more points starting at the 4 and 8 star Village quests, respectively.
What's so special about the Loc Lac set? Is it the Pro Transporter skill? Jaggi armor doesn't have 2 gem slots per peice. If I put one in the Jaggi Helm and another in the Jaggi Greaves, will that make it an Attack (M)?
Loc Lac is good for transporter quests since the three parts of it give you Pro Transporter, Halve Hunger and Dung Bomb skills. Should be pretty easy to put together, too.

But you're correct about the Jaggi set. It starts with 13 points of Attack and 3 individual slots (head, arms, legs). Add a couple of Attack Jewel 1s to those slots and you'd have 15 points of Attack. That raises the skill from Attack Up (S) to Attack Up (M) which adds 15 points to your weapon's attack power.

upandaway

But you're correct about the Jaggi set. It starts with 13 points of Attack and 3 individual slots (head, arms, legs). Add a couple of Attack Jewel 1s to those slots and you'd have 15 points of Attack. That raises the skill from Attack Up (S) to Attack Up (M) which adds 15 points to your weapon's attack power.
From Kiranico

Attack Up (L) 20 Attack + 24 to 108 (depending on weapon type)
Attack Up (M) 15 Attack +18 to 81 (depending on weapon type)
Attack Up (S) 10 Attack +12 to 54 (depending on weapon type)

Hmm I didn't know it worked that way. Different buffs depending on the weapon type.

tuffy

Hmm I didn't know it worked that way. Different buffs depending on the weapon type.
I could've sworn that, at least with bowguns, it's just a straight addition - 20 points of Attack Up raises the attack stat by 20 points. But now I'm curious if it works differently for other weapon types. An older Great Sword FAQ seems to imply it's also just a straight addition so maybe things changed in Ultimate. Time to break out the calculator...

Qurupeke

It has to do with how many hours you plan to spend on LR. Yeah, Jaggi can help you all the way to HR but I think one or two more armors aren't a bad idea, just in case.

tuffy

It has to do with how many hours you plan to spend on LR. Yeah, Jaggi can help you all the way to HR but I think one or two more armors aren't a bad idea, just in case.
Having a few alternate armors for special tasks is never a bad idea, especially if they're easy to make. I still use a Leather S set for mining runs because of all the gathering-specific skills it has. Might as well make use of the saved armor sets feature to swap them out without a lot of hassle.

Chuckpebble

Jaggi is fine until you get to a set that has skills geared more towards the weapon class that you settle into. For instance, I settled on Barroth for the Guard skill to aid my gunlancing through both Low and High rank.

The most important thing to be doing in low rank is making sure you have a good variety of whatever weapon class you're settling on and have them all upgraded to rare 3, the yellow color.

Sure, you may have a really powerful weapon you keep using, but those lesser ones are likely to be the first you can upgrade when you get to high rank, easily outclassing your best rare 3 weapon.

FlyFaster

I use a LS but I usually don't die on this quest. Some people just go totally unprepared. I've seen some with Thunder res -20 trying to beat it. I think I've beat it 2 times and I have 3 of the item for the gunlance.
I don't know if I should use a blocking weapon, as on 200+ hours I was playing only with LS, but probably I'll give it a try.

If you have the skill to evade and are doing fine with LS then more power to you. Nothing wrong with LS as a weapon. It's a great weapon in fact.

I hear you on players coming into fights unprepared tho... it's pretty lame.

Only advice I can give here is that in Tri I only used 1 weapon, GS. It wasn't until 3U that I started using other weapons. Man... it's opened up a whole new world for me. picking up a secondary weapon (and 3rd and 4th lol) has really made that a lot more fun but also given me options. Some weapons are just better for certain fights. Although, any weapon will get the job done. If you are on the fence about trying a new weapon I'd encourage you to do so. I really feel like my time in Tri was not as amazing as it could have been looking back because I limited myself by only using a single weapon.

The Arena 1v1 grudge matches are a great way to try out new weapons. You won't lose mats if you fail and the monster is right there and waiting to fight you. Arena is an excellent tool to play around with new weapons. Of course, they don't have grudge matches 1v1 for all monsters which is a little stupid and you can't choose from the full 12 weapons... but overall I say it's still a great tool.

edit:
@ bdizzle

ya water fights can suck. If you are having issues w/ them I'd encourage you to try different weapons for those fights. Like I said above, I mained only GS in Tr and hated water fights too. But now I use Lances for water fights and they are a breeze. Lance/GL I feel have much better underwater movement and it's moveset isn't as effect by being in the water.

Dizzy-4U

Is there an item to make the weapon's sharpness last longer?

I was fighting the Querpeco yesterday and I noticed that all my hits went through when the sharpness was at maximum (green for me). Problem was, after 10 hits it went back to yellow so I spent half the fight using whetstones. I know I can attack in different spots but the bird moves way to much.

I hate that bird, I traveled the whole map fighting that thing.

upandaway

I was fighting the Querpeco yesterday and I noticed that all my hits went through when the sharpness was at maximum (green for me). Problem was, after 10 hits it went back to yellow so I spent half the fight using whetstones. I know I can attack in different spots but the bird moves way to much.

I almost want to not say it, since you will gain a lot from learning to hit it in the softer spots (and it becomes such a fun fight when you can do it effortlessly), but the skill is Razor Sharp/Sharpness. Every pixel of sharpness lasts for twice as many hits.

Dizzy-4U

I almost want to not say it, since you will gain a lot from learning to hit it in the softer spots (and it becomes such a fun fight when you can do it effortlessly), but the skill is Razor Sharp/Sharpness. Every pixel of sharpness lasts for twice as many hits.
Thanks. I understand what you mean, the thing is that I'm not too confortable with the dual blades yet. Maybe I'll switch it up for a hammer and try again.

Cerity

If you hate the flying, you're going to hate the rathalos a lot more :p At least they've toned it down after unite.

IMO instead of skilling up, use another weapon (not type), it'll be less hassle getting the required items.

Qurupeke

Ok, I made Bushido. Neat weapon. A real shame that we didn't get these though...

image.jpg

image.jpg

I could've sworn that, at least with bowguns, it's just a straight addition - 20 points of Attack Up raises the attack stat by 20 points. But now I'm curious if it works differently for other weapon types. An older Great Sword FAQ seems to imply it's also just a straight addition so maybe things changed in Ultimate. Time to break out the calculator...

Each weapon class has a multiplier.

Weapon type     Class multiplier
Great Sword     4,8
Long Sword     3,3
Sword & Shield     1,4
Dual Blades     1,4
Hammer     5,2
Hunting Horn     4,6
Lance     2,3
Gunlance     2,3
Switch Axe     4,6
Light Bowgun     1,3
Heavy Bowgun     1,48
Bow     1,2

You have to multiply them depending on Attack Up buffs. For example food bonus Attack (S) is ×3, while armor skill Attack up (S) is ×10 or something. (don't remember the exact values of buffs, but class multipliers above are correct)

RobbieNick

After taking a break from the game for about 2 months, I'm back in and now have the 3DS version. Even work isn't enough to keep me away from Monster hunter.

Qurupeke

Strange, I already have the Lightning Blaze which means I bested Ivory five times (though it was helluva fun fight). Maybe the three months vacuum dulled my skills.

I haven't tried Brachy enough, but on every team I was we survived for a long time.On theother hand Ivory Lagi easily 2HKO's anyone.Nevertheless, both are fucking hard.

Dizzy-4U

What kind of weapons would you guys recommend for breaking certain monster parts like the Gobul's light bulb or the dinosaurs tails?

Fistwell

Anybody wants to join up and play some online this weekend (GMT+1, Western European time)? Reply and/or PM. Up for anything.

Wolfe

Ok, I made Bushido. Neat weapon. A real shame that we didn't get these though...

image.jpg

image.jpg

No kidding, real wasted opportunity not bringing that set/weapons out over here :(

wait, is that just a reskin of the hell hunter jacket or is it something else entirely? Also, those pants don;t look familiar, which set do they belong too?

The entire outfit (including weapons) is from a current anime series called Attack on Titan.

tuffy

Stygian Zinogre

Jesus

Why does red lightning somehow "dragon"?
Dragon attacks are kindof his "thing", and that means dragonblight, which is apparently all kinds of awful.

I was confused why my fights with Stygian Zinogre were always easier than fights with the regular one. Then I paged through my equipment and noticed my armor set (mostly Artian) had over 20 dragon defense which cuts its damage way down and nullifies dragonblight entirely. I started paying more attention to elemental resistance after that.

Wolfe

I adore it on 3DS but no online's understandable as this was made during the 3DS' early days.

MH4 will happen. Just don't wait for it.

Yeah it's all good I just don't have the money to pick up a Wii U yet so I'm limited to local, luckily I have more than a couple friends that plays.

Hell even after I get a Wii U I'll still be playing online with the 3DS, HD be damned I'm addicted to the 3D.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Beat Jho. Carted once and it took 40 mins, but he didn't seem to leave many openings. I did get his tail off after only a few chops though. He definitely owns the entire area he's in, and it was almost impossible to deal with him in a smaller one...

Cerity

Just fought a brachydios for the first time, quit after my 2nd cart. Interesting fight, doesn't seem to be all that bad, might help if I bring a long cold drinks the next time haha.

Time for a new armour I think, stam drain and def(M) on azuros armour certaintly is nice but it's starting to become a hassle with how much monsters are deciding to move around.

UPDATED!

Here's the set I made for you guys.

Recoil Down +1
Challenger +2
Pierce Up

Female Gunner:

Griffon Blazooka (Add Power Barrel)
http://kiranico.com/weapon/heavybowgun/griffon-blazooka

Amagi Hachigane
Silver Solvest
Amagi Kote
Ingot Coat S
Vangis Leggings
-----------------
Charm Slot 3 OOO
-----------------
1x Pierce Jewel 3
5x Spirit Jewel 2
2x Absorber Jewel 1

Male Gunner:

Griffon Blazooka (Add Power Barrel)
http://kiranico.com/weapon/heavybowgun/griffon-blazooka

Mutsu Eboshi
Silver Solvest
Mutsu Kote
Ingot Coat S
Vangis Leggings
-----------------
Charm Slot 3 OOO
-----------------
1x Pierce Jewel 3
5x Spirit Jewel 2
2x Absorber Jewel 1

Team:
- Sammy
- Festwill

Objective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpJAp5wgjgY (it's impossible to melee him)

Hi guys!

Since I'm on vacation I decided to get on this game. I'm 30 hours in and currently HR2 Long Sword.

I would really like to play with some GAFfers. Is there a list of players so I can add some of you?

This is my first MH experience and this game is digital crack!!!

Good hunting :)

Fistwell

Yo Sammy,

I forged whatever pieces I was missing, but I seem to fall short on pierce up at 9. Are you assuming a 3 slot charm w/ +1 pierce?
Alternately, is challenger+2 worth it over attack up L?

Anyways, thanks for looking it up.

Yo Sammy,

I forged whatever pieces I was missing, but I seem to fall short on pierce up at 9. Are you assuming a 3 slot charm w/ +1 pierce?
Alternately, is challenger+2 worth it over attack up L?

Anyways, thanks for looking it up.
Well, shit. You are right, I thought Griffon had one slot. Will redo.

And yeah I think it is, Challenger will raise critical hit, which is good for gunners, especially if you are in siege mode (dps).

EDIT: Ok post updated, downgraded to Recoil +1.

Top Bottom