• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

Well, shit. You are right, I thought Griffon had one slot. Will redo.

And yeah I think it is, Challenger will raise critical hit, which is good for gunners, especially if you are in siege mode (dps).

EDIT: Ok post updated, downgraded to Recoil +1.

When do you guys plan on gunning him? I should able to make that set easy

Dizzy-4U

Hi guys!

Since I'm on vacation I decided to get on this game. I'm 30 hours in and currently HR2 Long Sword.

I would really like to play with some GAFfers. Is there a list of players so I can add some of you?

This is my first MH experience and this game is digital crack!!!

Good hunting :)
ID: Dizzy4U

I'm 25 hours in and I've been playing single player exclusively, so I'm HR1. But yeah, add me if you want, I've been using the hammer lately.

Fistwell

Or, you can straight jewel up a Jehn gunner set (w/ 3 slot charm) for challenger +2, along with the usual pierce up, recoil +1 and rocksteady. You also get load speed -1, but if you're crouch firing, you don't ever actually need to load.

Yeah, you can equip whatever armor you want, as long as you have all the necessary skills.

And I think we have a team.

- Sammy
- Fest
- Anura
- T Rex (friend of mine)

Right now I'm helping him collect everything he needs.

Roubjon

Jeez, the G rank Green Plesioth hits freaking hard. It's just annoying as hell because as soon as you get close in to attack it, it just does some charge move or hip check. I'm not looking forward to killing them again. At least I unlocked a dozen new quests with more fun monsters.

I ended up making the G rank Crimson Qurupeco armor so I could have more defense for the new series of quests. I'm actually pretty bummed leaving the Azure Rathalos set behind. I loved having the Expert +3, Hearing, and Sharpness skills.

And what really sucks though is that I am still using the Dios Axe +. It's ridiculously powerful, but I'm pretty sure I've used it for literally 30 hours at this point. Nothing else compares to it and it's getting kinda boring :/

FlyFaster

Jeez, the G rank Green Plesioth hits freaking hard. It's just annoying as hell because as soon as you get close in to attack it, it just does some charge move or hip check. I'm not looking forward to killing them again. At least I unlocked a dozen new quests with more fun monsters.

I ended up making the G rank Crimson Qurupeco armor so I could have more defense for the new series of quests. I'm actually pretty bummed leaving the Azure Rathalos set behind. I loved having the Expert +3, Hearing, and Sharpness skills.

And what really sucks though is that I am still using the Dios Axe +. It's ridiculously powerful, but I'm pretty sure I've used it for literally 30 hours at this point. Nothing else compares to it and it's getting kinda boring :/

for single player, the proper elemental weakness is generally the better option. Slime only really shines for monsters with changing element status or multiple monster quests, oh and online too lol, where it's amazing. I'd say look into elemental weapons and try your best to match up to the monsters element. At the very least you'd get some weapon variety.

Chuckpebble

Stupid Leviathan Gunlance. First thing I upgrade to in G-Rank and it outclasses all of these other cool gunlances that I keep working on. For those that are interested, its the only rare 8 gunlance that gets to purple sharpness with handicraft.

Fistwell

Fest and Anura, please let me know when you guys are ready. :)
Ready when you are. Remember I'm Western Europe however. Weekdays, I can play evenings, 6ish to 12pm, which translates to: noon to 6pm ET. On weekends, any time works but preferably not middle of the night. ;)

Roubjon

for single player, the proper elemental weakness is generally the better option. Slime only really shines for monsters with changing element status or multiple monster quests, oh and online too lol, where it's amazing. I'd say look into elemental weapons and try your best to match up to the monsters element. At the very least you'd get some weapon variety.

It's just that it comes down to having to make the decision to grind monsters for hours to make new weapons or to simply keep using this Dios Axe which works just fine. Monster Hunter problems I guess, lol. I'll probably start making new stuff though.

Cerity

I feel evil sometimes, farming B. Gigginox, just staggered it, knocked it over, staggered it, staggered it, knocked it over on the other side, staggered it and stunned it.

Maybe stam thief is too good to pass up if I can do this.

MHMeatPillow_backofbox.jpg

So want but the cost =(
http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.1944700/productID.285169200/Monster-Hunter-Meat-Pillow.html?resid=UgA64AoHAtcAACkZbvcAAAA3&rests=1375746784140
I need to get back on the Monster Hunter wagon lol

Anura

Fest and Anura, please let me know when you guys are ready. :)

I am ready whenever you are!

But quick question, I could either run the set you showed me or one with these skills:
Challanger +1
Weakness exploit
Recoil down+1
Pierce shot up

Basically trade the +2 on challanger for weakness exploit

tuffy

If you guys are having trouble with Jhen, I made a simple video that could help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1yugqcuG0
It helped me, that's for sure. The trouble with the Jhen fight is that very little of what the game teaches you about hunting monsters is much use in a battle that's mostly scripted. But once I added the Speed Gatherer skill for ballista/cannonball collection and learned to spam the gong and binder all the time, I wound up killing it even after making a mistake or two in the execution.

Well, it's up to you.

Let's try tomorrow around this time?

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130806T2000&p1=233&msg=MH3U

Anura, add me via Miiverse (SammySamusu) and let me know it's you, ok? Already have Festwill.

Thanks!

I'll be there, although 1am on a week day is pretty late for this old man. :)
Already got you two can I join the party =P, may not make it today but really wanted to find folks playing again lol, just didn't know the time and place XD

Oh man, want so bad. Wonder how big it is... 22x12"? Hmm...
Around 559mm x 305mm (55.9cm x 30.5cm)
Quite big =D

Also they are having a 40% off 3DS Monster Hunter cases sale
http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/list/categoryID.11087000

I'll be there, although 1am on a week day is pretty late for this old man. :)
Sorry. :p

If something happens tonight, we can try tomorrow a few hours early. And of course, we have weekends too.

Samurai_Heart you can definitely join the team, the set is a few posts above.

upandaway

Oh I forgot to post about Jhen. I finally did him solo once a while ago, I repelled him fine (would have killed him if I had a better weapon). Keeping the ship wasn't really a problem either, so it's really just a thing you get used to.

One thing though, after about 20 ballistas and 10 cannons, I couldn't gather any more. They refreshed for the final showdown, but they ran out again for I think the same amount. What the hell? I had the food buff for ballistas so I was really counting on those. I had a really really weak LR weapon, but the ballista limit forced me to use it way more than I wanted (and I still only broke 1 weak point and 1 arm, and couldn't kill him)

If you guys are having trouble with Jhen, I made a simple video that could help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1yugqcuG0

I've posted it on GAF before, hope it helps!
Ballistas do the same damage no matter where they hit so that's why you wanna hit the horns with them. The horns are the area that take the least damage, not the most, and the mouth is only the weakest when it's inside the mouth, outside it counts as the belly/body (I think)
Bombs are the same thing

FlyFaster

700px-DMG-JhenMohran.png

damage chart for weaknesses here, via Kiranico, http://kiranico.com/monster/jhen-mohran

Ballistas do the same damage no matter where they hit so that's why you wanna hit the horns with them. The horns are the area that take the least damage, not the most, and the mouth is only the weakest when it's inside the mouth, outside it counts as the belly/body (I think)
Bombs are the same thing

I know, I added things into the description of the video. When he is close to the ship you can hit his mouth, I lvl3 charge it w/ GS all the time. I know about bombs too.

When I was making the video, I just sat down and made it. I'm not a professional youtuber or anything and I didn't have a script. I just played. I'm not used to commentating so I messed up a few things here and there. But it's nothing that will effect the fight. HUNDREDS of people have PMed me and left comments about how the video helped.

upandaway

I know, I added things into the description of the video. When he is close to the ship you can hit his mouth, I lvl3 charge it w/ GS all the time. I know about bombs too.

When I was making the video, I just sat down and made it. I'm not a professional youtuber or anything and I didn't have a script. I just played. I'm not used to commentating so I messed up a few things here and there. But it's nothing that will effect the fight. HUNDREDS of people have PMed me and left comments about how the video helped.
I'm not a professional GAF poster either :) I just saw the video and replied quick. It's a great tutorial!

FlyFaster

I'm not a professional GAF poster either :) I just saw the video and replied quick. It's a great tutorial!

thanks. I appreciate it.

I guess I'm a little sensitive about criticism. I posted it on Unity and some kids there wouldn't let me live it down that I got somethings wrong. :( I don't lose sleep over it or anything but it used to bug me, then all the PMs and comments from people came in and I realized that I did do a good job even if it's not perfect. ;)

tuffy

I guess I'm a little sensitive about criticism. I posted it on Unity and some kids there wouldn't let me live it down that I got somethings wrong. :( I don't lose sleep over it or anything but it used to bug me, then all the PMs and comments from people came in and I realized that I did do a good job even if it's not perfect. ;)
Even if the video was flawless, it wouldn't make any difference since no one else is going to replay the hunt in the exact same way. I saw a solo Dire Miralis fight that was riddled with nervous mistakes ("dude, the dragonator button is right there!") but it was still helpful to see how to react when the monster did this or that with someone else at the controller. Anyone who's reached the Jhen fight should have enough of a trained eye to separate the helpful parts from the uninteresting ones.

SuperSah

Banned
Is it just me or is Brachydios Mio is waaaay harder than the 8* village Brachy?

I was using a Hunting Horn headshotting the crap out of him and timed out. A usual Brachy would take 15-20 minutes.

What gives! 50 minutes and no sign of limping?

Almost you guys, almost.
lol
You guys gonna be on tomorrow? I won't be on now tired right now. But for tomorrow would it be 12am BST/1am for you (Festwill)

I'll probs try for that Brachy gem so I can upgrade and be more useful lol
Is it just me or is Brachydios Mio is waaaay harder than the 8* village Brachy?

I was using a Hunting Horn headshotting the crap out of him and timed out. A usual Brachy would take 15-20 minutes.

What gives! 50 minutes and no sign of limping?
This the village one or port/pier quest? Cause lol of course that one is harder than the village Brachy XD

tuffy

This the village one or port/pier quest? Cause lol of course that one is harder than the village Brachy XD
Brachydios Mio! is the Port quest. The Port monsters have about twice the HP of their Village counterparts which means the fights are liable to go a lot longer when done solo.

Lol oh I know, I remember hunting a Rathlos on the port quest took me 40mins lol, when I was still near the beginning.

Oh and Festwill, Sammy and Anura lol I think I'll need he'll boosting to HR8, IIRC I'm 6 XD, before I can do Alatreon with you guys.

Fistwell

You guys gonna be on tomorrow? I won't be on now tired right now. But for tomorrow would it be 12am BST/1am for you (Festwill)
Eh, I don't think I'll stay up that late again tonight. I need to get up and get to work in the morning. :'(
I can play earlier though, up until midnight-ish my time. Then there's also weekends.

Oh and Festwill, Sammy and Anura lol I think I'll need he'll boosting to HR8, IIRC I'm 6 XD, before I can do Alatreon with you guys.
Oh I don't mind helping you rank up.

Anura

Lol oh I know, I remember hunting a Rathlos on the port quest took me 40mins lol, when I was still near the beginning.

I like helping people rank up

Also sorry to the rest of you guys for leaving like that

I shouldn't have farmed ala (and Los at the end for mantle) for literally 6+ hours... I was pretty drained at that point

Top Bottom