• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

Now I know why so many people love the series. It's fucking addicting. I'm gonna definitely have to get a 3DS once MH4 comes out.

It's one of the most polarizing series out there, but if you get into it you REALLY get into it.

Welcome to the world of monster huntert! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Chuckpebble

So I get Qurupecco.
He has songs that give buffs, if he completes it, it buffs the monsters. If you interrupt it, it buffs you and your team mates.
The green song restores health.
The red / orange song increases defense, making my weapon bounce on rhenopolos.
Now, in G-Rank, there's a blue song, which I have just seen for the first time. I have no idea what the hell just happened. I mean, obviously it's a sleep status song.

I see him starting to sing, and I already burned through 10 sonic bombs, so I charge over and start attacking, hoping to stun him. Noticed that the rings are blue. I didn't think I was doing enough damage, then suddenly, everyone takes a nap. Me, Qurupecco, the DevilJho that just sent Cha Cha packing, and the two Rhenopolos I was dodging. All I could do was spin the camera around WTFing at the peace and quiet for 20 seconds.

Does that attack normally put everyone to sleep, or did I have some weird timing where I stunned him and everyone got the status effect?

Fistwell

I thought his songs affected all in the area no matter what? As far as I recall, his healing song's always healed me, and the sleep song's always put everyone to sleep. Can't claim I'm a quruquu expert though.

Chuckpebble

I thought his songs affected all in the area no matter what? As far as I recall, his healing song's always healed me, and the sleep song's always put everyone to sleep. Can't claim I'm a quruquu expert though.

Oh, OK, then I'll take from you that that is the way that the sleep one generally works. It just puts everyone to sleep. The monsters did wake up first.

But yeah, the healing and defense buff songs work the way I mentioned, its a little harder to keep track of that flash indicating the buff compared to everything just dropping for a nap.

Still, that's weird though. I guess the idea is that Quru wants a nap, so everybody gets a timeout to ensure he doesn't get interrupted.

There's also an attack buff song (red), not just a defense buff (orange).

Qurupeco's new sleep song in G-rank is absolutely hilarious the first time you see it. I love how the game is filled with little humorous things like that.

To interrupt Qurupecco's, you just hit him in his red sac right? Sometimes it interrupts, but most of the time nothing happens. Is there a trick to it?

Fistwell

To interrupt Qurupecco's, you just hit him in his red sac right? Sometimes it interrupts, but most of the time nothing happens. Is there a trick to it?
Dunno, I would guess you need to fill the (invisible, unknowable, and almighty) stagger gauge.

upandaway

I.. uh... wait, registered sets can save the gem layout? Why did no one tell me this? Was this also in Tri?

I changed my gems through the armory every time I needed to in Tri, which meant pretty much every quest. Is this seriously happening. I want to hurt myself.

Fistwell

I.. uh... wait, registered sets can save the gem layout?
Yeah it's... pretty convenient. You can even have the same decorations jeweled into different registered sets at the same time if I'm not mistaken. Too bad there aint enough spots though, ran out like forever ago.

upandaway

Yeah it's... pretty convenient. You can even have the same decorations jeweled into different registered sets at the same time if I'm not mistaken. Too bad there aint enough spots though, ran out like forever ago.
Yeah that's what I'm referring to. I thought if you register a set, and change the decorations on an item, then equip the set, it stays true to the newest decoration changes. Before, I only bothered to make sets to save equipping all the different armors/weapons/charms.

Now that I found out, I made like 10 sets immediately. My life is forever changed.

Anura

Yeah that's what I'm referring to. I thought if you register a set, and change the decorations on an item, then equip the set, it stays true to the newest decoration changes. Before, I only bothered to make sets to save equipping all the different armors/weapons/charms.

Now that I found out, I made like 10 sets immediately. My life is forever changed.

It was only like that in Tri and back. It's so nice now!

I remember having 3 or 4 fully upgraded vangis greaves for all my different sets...

upandaway

So it really is new to 3U, that's such a megaton right there. And I wouldn't have even found out without the inspiration to check for it.

I went wild on the volcano today to get some charms to work with (I was getting annoyed by how limited I was), for like 3 hours. Best find was a Guard +5 charm, so now I can do this:
Fx83Pk0.png

I was already resigned to never getting a lance set until G rank, since it's such a pain to farm for armor sets, but this is a super easy Guard+2, Guard Up set (or easy Guard+1, Guard Up without a charm), gotta love those set making sites. Will make this tomorrow and then counter like I'm a Wobbuffet.

Anura

So it really is new to 3U, that's such a megaton right there. And I wouldn't have even found out without the inspiration to check for it.

I went wild on the volcano today to get some charms to work with (I was getting annoyed by how limited I was), for like 3 hours. Best find was a Guard +5 charm, so now I can do this:
Fx83Pk0.png

I was already resigned to never getting a lance set until G rank, since it's such a pain to farm for armor sets, but this is a super easy Guard+2, Guard Up set (or easy Guard+1, Guard Up without a charm), gotta love those set making sites. Will make this tomorrow and then counter like I'm a Wobbuffet.

Just those two skills? Guard up is only useful (or even usable) against certain monsters, so you might want change it up a little.

And the gem thing was also in MHp3rd

upandaway

I want a set I can use a lance with for every single monster (it gets ThunAttack+1 too but whatever). I really really don't like making sets, especially when I'll be ditching them for G anyway, so there's no point in doing it otherwise. And Ingot is, like, ore. I already have it by virtue of playing the game.

I guess I could use something like Wind Res or some topical C skill, but eh.

Anura

I want a set I can use a lance with for every single monster (it gets ThunAttack+1 too but whatever). I really really don't like making sets, especially when I'll be ditching them for G anyway, so there's no point in doing it otherwise. And Ingot is, like, ore. I already have it by virtue of playing the game.

I guess I could use something like Wind Res or some topical C skill, but eh.

Fair enough, it might be useful for Giggi and his sub when you get there

Speed sharpening is always incredible though

Mondriaan

This functionality is kind of broken if your item box fills up and you happen to be using a set that uses more decorations because you won't actually be able to change to the same equipment set that uses fewer decorations because those non-equipped decorations have to go back into the item box.

The lack of thought/polish here kind of boggles the mind.

FlyFaster

Dunno, I would guess you need to fill the (invisible, unknowable, and almighty) stagger gauge.

it's kind of like fighting games, like Street Fighter. You can't see the "stun meter" but as you become accustomed to the monster you will begin to get a feel for when stun will happen.

It actually feels pretty cool when you get to the level when, as you play, you intuitively know these things and you see yourself acting accordingly because in your mind you know.

edit:

changing subjects.

I don't play in password locked rooms but I still need to fight Event Ala a few more times. Just been busy w/ new job and Pikmin 3. But anyone who wants can add me. NNID: Zentea

Zinogre's design stands out too much, and not in the good way. He's fun to fight though, so I can let it pass.

But they should had taken more in consideration those colors at least...TEAL, really? Brachydios is another one I have problems with, but it is also fun to fight so eh.

Anura

With all the other megatons today I feel the MH4 trailer got over shadowed...

So I will say this again... holy hell Kirin is back!!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
i'm not sure if i will like wall climbing

i hope it's not the new swimming

I doubt it. Swimming was just 3D walking. Climbing looks like it's going to make terrain far more variable, and as the trailer shows, the possibility of deforming terrain throughout a fight. That's way cooler than swimming.

Fistwell

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647167

Include me please lol =P, I think I'm gonna try to improve my equips before then but got sooo many other games to chip away on backlog lol
What time zone are you on (I'm CEST)? We could team up tomorrow before the scheduled meet up time and work on your HR and equipment. If you're up for it and it's not middle of the night in your neck of the woods.

I'm BST (UK) so just an hour behind you, so yeah we could do it =D Just hope I can get some good carves lol.
Sounds good. I'll pop online around early-ish afternoon (maybe 2 to 3PM CEST). Feel free to join whenever. Let me know if you want to set up a more specific time.

Maybe we can get a few others to join in as well. You reading this Silph? Anura?

What time zone are you on (I'm CEST)? We could team up tomorrow before the scheduled meet up time and work on your HR and equipment. If you're up for it and it's not middle of the night in your neck of the woods.

I'm BST (UK) so just an hour behind you, so yeah we could do it =D Just hope I can get some good carves lol.

I've mastered the method but a lot of things can go wrong too, mostly because of the tiny Plesioth, it's ok if he hits you, but if he comes close to me I'm fucked, you have no idea how fast I have to move, ugh. :(

Very important:

- If I'm directly below Plesioth, don't aim low or above me because you will detonate my bombs while I'm still setting them

How do you get Golden Tickets? I need a Brach Gem. :(
Play multiplayer with the same people, a lot.

Top Bottom