• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Ghibli LTTP: Nausicaa, Kaguya, Fireflies, Whisper of the Heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thread, I've just been working my way through all of these. Likely spoilers ahead.

nausicaa-of-the-valley-of-the-wind-6.jpg
I don't think I did this movie any favors by watching it after Mononoke. Similar movies but this one definitely felt more dated and not as epic. For this one I kind of just enjoyed the really interesting world that Miyazaki built and another amazing sound track by Joe Hisaishi. The actual plot and characters were good not great. I enjoyed the movie, and it would fall in the average to below average rankings of the Ghibli movies I've seen already (very high bar). And yes, I know how great the manga is supposed to be. It's on my list.

Really good, well made movie. I think the emotional stuff was built up too much for me before seeing it. I expected to be in tears from beginning to end. My eyes actually stayed dry throughout. Not to say that it wasn't a very depressing movie, it just wasn't sad in a way that made me cry. I'm glad I saw it, not sure how much replay it will get in the future, but a good movie. Takahata is a really good director (more on that below).

I LOVED this movie. Yondo (RIP) added a great new dimension to Ghibli movies that I hadn't seen before. Shizuku was an absolutely charming lead, I liked her right from the start. The message was clear and very good, the lower stakes made the movie feel much more real. The scene with Seiji playing the violin with Shizuku singing is now one of my favorite Ghibli scenes, so good. The last scene was kind of awkward, but I won't focus too much on that, excellent movie.

ff5d26c76a4e7617c045ca4168237318.gif

This was the Takahata movie that got to me. Holy shit, it was absolutely incredible. Just look at that art style! I just want to start by saying that this was one of the best dubs I've seen yet, Chloe Moretz was excellent as Kaguya and the rest of the cast performed very well too, the dubs have been hit and miss so far, but this was definitely one of the better ones. Anyway, excellent movie with a depressing message. The final 'what could have been' dream sequence is heartbreaking and the ending is depressing as hell. This definitely wasn't the most enjoyable, or most rewatchable of the Ghibli offerings, but I'm tempted to say that it was the most well made, Takahata is REALLY good. The fact that a team of 'experts' decided that Big Hero 6 was a better movie is an absolute travesty.

If I had to rank what I've seen so far, it'd be something like this:
1. Spirited Away
2. Castle in the Sky
3. Princess Kaguya
4. Whisper of the Heart
5. Mononoke
6. Totoro
7. Howl's Moving Castle
8. Nausicaa
8. Grave of the Fireflies

I consider Fireflies an excellent movie, but something has to be on the bottom. I have Arietty on the shelf, and Porco Rosso and Whisper of the Heart on the way. I really want to see Kiki, but Amazon doesn't carry it for some reason, so it will have to wait. After that I'll probably take a break from buying so many movies, Only Yesterday is on the list, but I can't think of any other must-sees at the moment (please correct me if I'm wrong).

So thank you for all the suggestions the last few weeks, it had been awesome to go through all these great movies for the first time, and I never would have found them without Gaf. I may make another thread if I feel like talking about Arriety, Rosso, or Wind Rises.

addik

Man, this thread made me remember how long ago it was since I last saw Whisper of the Heart. I loved that film to bits, it really spoke to me when I watched it as a teen.

Yes, ditto to you on Kaguya. What a beautiful masterpiece. When it ended, I just sat there mindlessly, took a shower than realized I was crying in the shower. It's a pretty heavy film though, but wow was it incredible

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I considered Castle in the Sky a poor man's Nausicaa.

I too saw Mononoke before, yet I rate Nausicaa above it by a country mile. Wow at the artstyle of that gif, it's incredilbe!

xevis

Banned
OP, why do you keep ignoring My Neighbours the Yamadas? Low stakes, highly endearing family-centric comedy from Isao Takahata. Did I mention it has a super distinct visual style? It totally does! Much better than Kaguya and arguably among the best films that Ghibli has produced.

You should also see Porco Rosso and Kiki's Delivery Service.

I considered Castle in the Sky a poor man's Nausicaa.
Hmm, they don't seem very similar to me.

I too saw Mononoke before, yet I rate Nausicaa above it by a country mile.
Different strokes, I guess, it was definitely a good movie, but Mononoke just grabbed me more.

OP, why do you keep ignoring My Neighbours the Yamadas? Low stakes, highly endearing family-centric comedy from Isao Takahata. Did I mention it has a super distinct visual style? It totally does! Much better than Kaguya and arguably among the best films that Ghibli has produced.

I'll be honest, it's probably the last thing on my list. I don't even remember it unless someone mentions it.

The Yamadas is great if you have family. Heartwarming and "real"...I don't even have it in my collection yet. Why??

RIGHT NOW my personal ranking of the films I own goes like this:

Spirited Away
Mononoke
Porco Rosso
Kiki's Delivery Service
Ponyo
Nausicaä (to me the manga beats everything on this list storywise)
My Neighbor Totoro
Laputa Castle in the sky

Laputa is still one of my favorite animated films of all time. That's how much I love all of them.

duckroll

Whisper of the Heart is my favorite anime movie of all time. And I just sang that version of Country Roads yesterday at karaoke! Glad you loved it.

Kaguya is also without a doubt one of the most artistic movies Ghibli has ever done. <3

Bamboo

I just came to mention Ponyo. It's really great.

Also good call with Kaguya. I thought it was stellar, just for the style and animation. The gif you chose is just one of the most perfect scenes.

Nausicaa is a film I used to really dislike but I now consider it my favorite Ghibli film and one of my favorite films of all time. I'm not sure what exactly changed my mind, but something about it feels epic and powerful to me.

Laputa is another one of my favorites, as is Whisper of the Heart. In general, I think I prefer Miyazaki's pre-Spirited Away work to really any of the Ghibli films that came after Princess Mononoke. I'm also not a huge Takahata fan, though I haven't seen Only Yesterday or Kaguyahime.

Glad you enjoyed them OP. You should watch Porco Rosso and The Wind Rises sometime.

Castle of Cagliostro, though technically not a Ghibli film, was the first film collaboration between Miyazaki and what would become the Ghibli staff.

Whisper of the Heart is genuinely wonderful. It's my favourite anime film ever and in my top ten films ever full stop. So wonderful.

protagonist is cursed. protaginist is doing random chores. gee how original.
I'm not even a big fan of Spirited Away but this is dumb. I could sum up Whisper of the Heart as "girl isn't sure what to do with her life and likes a cute boy, they get together and they figure out what they want, gee how original".

Kettch

Castle in the Sky is the one Miyazaki film that I didn't even enjoy. Only watched it once though, when I rushed through the entire library after being blown away by Nausicaa (which was probably like 17 years ago). Suppose I should give it another try someday.

Moonkid

Any thread with Whisper of the Heart appreciation is a good thread in my book. Glad you're liking em OP, they aren't widely loved for nothing.

Violet_0

Banned
are you ready for the "uh, I guess they look really nice?"-part of you journey yet aka From Up on Poppy Hill, Ponyo, When Marnie Was There and Arrietty, to a lesser extend?

duckroll

are you ready for the "uh, I guess they look really nice?"-part of you journey yet aka From Up on Poppy Hill, Ponyo, When Marnie Was There and Arrietty, to a lesser extend?

He hasn't watched The Wind Rises yet. There's still one more substantial gem there!

Castle in the Sky is the one Miyazaki film that I didn't even enjoy. Only watched it once though, when I rushed through the entire library after being blown away by Nausicaa (which was probably like 17 years ago). Suppose I should give it another try someday.
When I first saw it I kind of just expected a masterpiece because my thought was that most considered it to be in the Ghibli pantheon with Spirited Away, Mononoke, etc. Watching it with those expectations it still delivered. It was only after I saw it that I realized that Gaf (and the internet as a whole?) are kind of 'meh' on it. I loved it, weak dub though. Speaking of which...

ew dubs barf
I tried that sub way and didn't care for it. Even if it's a crappy dub (most aren't) I'd rather be able to hear emotion in someone's voice, and I just can't when it's in Japanese. And I'd rather look at the screen, then be reading the whole time.
:/ but expected...

'Your Name' has me interested. Not Ghibli, but I hear that director has made some decent films. Any opinions?

Dreavus

RE: Whisper of the Heart. That spot where the shop owner's musician friends show up for a song/jam session was probably one of the most charming scenes I have ever seen. Just so much fun.

duckroll

'Your Name' has me interested. Not Ghibli, but I hear that director has made some decent films. Any opinions?

Your Name is a Matoko Shinkai film. He is a director who has up until now mostly done short films. This is his feature length breakout hit. I liked it, and I think he has certainly grown a lot as a director. There's more confidence in his work and the characters were very well done. He still lapses into using music montages as a crutch when he wants to shuffle things into place for a new act of the story though. One would be acceptable, but there are at least 3-4 in it. Lol. Very pretty show though, He lucked out this time because with Ghibli not in active production now, he managed to snag a bunch of Ghibli regular animators, including the legendary animation director Masahi Ando. The polish in the visuals helped sell the emotions of the story in a big way.

sonicmj1

Anybody can say they like Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, or Totoro.

But if you like Porco Rosso, you're in the cool kids club for Miyazaki movies.

DavidDesu

ONLY YESTERDAY.

Must see. I cried like a baby at the ending. Like Whisper of the Heart but dealing with adult life rather than teen.

Whisper of the Heart is my favorite Ghibli film. It's such a sweet little, slice of life kind of film that I could return to many times. Everything about it is beautiful. Also, I can't talk about the film without posting this. Just so you know how godly the animation is. I'm surprised that I see many others love that film as well which makes me happy because I feel when it comes to Ghibli many gravitate towards his fantastical films(which are also real good)

Ponyo is awesome. Not for everyone but it's up there with the best! Watch it with your kids if/when you have them. ;) Miyazaki understands kids so well. <3

there's still some movies that i have to watch from them, but grave of the fireflies is probably my favorite for now. It touched me very deeply, so much that i showed to my mother and sister and they both loved it. I can't handle setsuko's voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom