• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Ghibli LTTP: Nausicaa, Kaguya, Fireflies, Whisper of the Heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rektash

I watched Kaguya a couple of days ago and got blown away by how good it was. After a couple of days of reflecting upon it I still think Kaguya is the best ghibli movie. The movie is poetry animated.

Whisper of the heart and Princess Mononke are fantastic as well.

Those three are my main ghibli recommendations.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I feel like a rewatch of Whispers in order. I think the trying to be a writer story thread is going to resonate with me way more than it did ten years ago.

Firemind

I'm not even a big fan of Spirited Away but this is dumb. I could sum up Whisper of the Heart as "girl isn't sure what to do with her life and likes a cute boy, they get together and they figure out what they want, gee how original".
Any (ex) student can relate to Shizuku and her dreams and struggles. The message is powerful.

Nobody can relate to Chihiro. She rarely shows emotions, has no nervous breakdowns despite all the shit that has happened to her like her parents turning into pigs (she's supposed to be ten years old), falls in love with dragon pretty boy who literally falls from the sky, sits in a train for three minutes to look at the scenery. There is no message. It looks fantastic but as a coming of age story it's not so good.

Now I want to see Princess Kaguya, thanks for this.

And to echo others (and your own statement), the manga of Nausicaa is the best work Miyazaki has done. It is an incredibly realised world and has so much more depth than the film (which is still my favourite of Miyazaki's films)

Bamboo

Any (ex) student can relate to Shizuku and her dreams and struggles. The message is powerful.

Nobody can relate to Chihiro. She rarely shows emotions, has no nervous breakdowns despite all the shit that has happened to her like her parents turning into pigs (she's supposed to be ten years old), falls in love with dragon pretty boy who literally falls from the sky, sits in a train for three minutes to look at the scenery. There is no message. It looks fantastic but as a coming of age story it's not so good.
Haven't seen the other film yet, but Chihiro is a fantastic coming of age story. She is freaking out, especially in the beginning, when she's too afraid to go down the stairs, when she sees the strange monster in the elvator, when she first meets Yubaba. And there is this super strong and important scene, when Haku comes to later when Haku gives her food and she's crying while she's eating.

The train scene is my favorite scene of the film btw. Of course there is never constant action. With nothing that you do. Even if you're in a stressfull situation you sometimes get forced to wait or do nothing - like in a train, waiting in line, waiting for an elevator, for a door to open and so on. These moments are there and they have an impact. Have you never looked out of a train or car window for three minutes thinking about nothing and everything? I think it's important to include them and I'm thankful he did, even though it's a fantasy film. Chihiro is at the point of becoming a teenager, when you realize that you're not just taken care of anymore (remember her nagging at the beginning of the film), but that you can and sometimes have to take action.

Still want to see Whisper of the Heart. But I thought your point was weak (and not really related to the argument?).

Good reviews OP. So glad you liked Whisper of the Heart. It's such a specific, honest little story. I like it better than Kiki (though not better than Spirited Away my dudes, let's not get crazy).

Hmmmm. If Only Yesterday is actually similar to Whisper of the Heart but with adults instead of kids maybe it would appeal to me. Especially if it's about nostalgia, I am an extremely nostalgic person (is that how you would say that? Lol) anyway, I was always interested, but the Blu-Ray is expensive. I'll try to get around to it ASAP.

GCX

Hmmmm. If Only Yesterday is actually similar to Whisper of the Heart but with adults instead of kids maybe it would appeal to me. Especially if it's about nostalgia, I am an extremely nostalgic person (is that how you would say that? Lol) anyway, I was always interested, but the Blu-Ray is expensive. I'll try to get around to it ASAP.
You might enjoy From Up on Poppy Hill too if you like nostalgic stuff. It's not up there with Ghibli's best but I really enjoyed its portrayal of 60s Yokohama.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

What?

Chihiro becomes calmer and more at-ease as the movie goes on (it is a coming-of-age story), but she has several nervous breakdowns--some quieter than others--in the first half. Bamboo nailed the rest.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Only Yesterday is intensely nostalgic and uses that nostalgic to explore the main character. You'll love it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I see your terrible, nonsensical opinions arent just for Magic the Gathering. I'm not sure how one misses the themes of Spirited Away so cleanly.

duckroll

I see your terrible, nonsensical opinions arent just for Magic the Gathering. I'm not sure how one misses the themes of Spirited Away so cleanly.

DUDE. It's Firemind. I'm pretty sure he was also in Space Dandy and Redline threads in the past making up garbage pseudo-critique about the quality and "budget" of the animation or whatever. Lol.

But you know what, he's kinda right, Chihiro is a garbage character...

silva1991

Grave of the Fireflies gave me nigthmares when I was a kid. That scene when they saw their almost dead mother....Jesus.

When Marnie Was There is leaps and bounds above Only Yesterday. It may have been the fact that I watched Marnie just a day before the other one and loved it.

I'm missing a few Disney releases (Tales of the Earthsea, The Wind Rises, and Pom Poko). But I've started collecting the gkid movie releases. They've picked up where Disney left off and also release other international films. I really want Song of the Sea.

For a real fun time kind of movie, The Girl Who Lept Through Time was great. There's an emotional side, but I didn't find it heavy hearted like Ghibli movies do.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
When Marnie was there is super underrated imo.
Such a lovely movie and one of the best Ghibli made!

I own all Ghibli movies on Blu-ray except for six cause these are the ones I think are just not really good...

Howls moving castle
Earthsea
Ponyo
Pom Poco
Kingdom of Cats
Whisper of the Ocean, or how it's called in English, can't remember at the moment :p

All others are good to great and well worth a watch

Firemind

DUDE. It's Firemind. I'm pretty sure he was also in Space Dandy and Redline threads in the past making up garbage pseudo-critique about the quality and "budget" of the animation or whatever. Lol.

But you know what, he's kinda right, Chihiro is a garbage character...
Redline is one of my favourite films.

I saw The Wind Rises for the first time last night and it's ace. Probably in my top ten Ghibli films. I would wholeheartedly recommend it. That one jarring moving background shot transition though... yikes.

When Marnie was there is super underrated imo.
Such a lovely movie and one of the best Ghibli made!

I own all Ghibli movies on Blu-ray except for six cause these are the ones I think are just not really good...

Howls moving castle
Earthsea
Ponyo
Pom Poco
Kingdom of Cats
Whisper of the Ocean, or how it's called in English, can't remember at the moment :p

All others are good to great and well worth a watch
Ocean Waves. Gkids has the distribution rights for that one so it'll be screening North America in due time. Is there anything left for them to nail down? Maybe a Ghibli BD set for films that weren't done by Miyazaki?

I keep needing to get Whisper of the Heart but I want to get the Japanese version, not the North American Disney BD release with that cover. >_>

I watched Only Yesterday recently thanks to the Gkids release. The first time I saw it, I thought that the film was all right, and that the ending was left ambiguous as to what Taeko ended up doing (I was also watching over a new puppy in the family at the time, so I guess I was distracted too >_>). On the recent rewatch, I saw that in fact
, spurred on by her childhood spirit, she ended up meeting with Toshio to presumably go back
and... I don't know, my opinion of the film dropped at that.

Unrelated question: is Only Yesterday the most
optimistic
a Takahata Isao Ghibli flick has ended?

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Ocean Waves. Gkids has the distribution rights for that one so it'll be screening North America in due time. Is there anything left for them to nail down? Maybe a Ghibli BD set for films that weren't done by Miyazaki?

I keep needing to get Whisper of the Heart but I want to get the Japanese version, not the North American Disney BD release with that cover. >_>

I watched Only Yesterday recently thanks to the Gkids release. The first time I saw it, I thought that the film was all right, and that the ending was left ambiguous as to what Taeko ended up doing (I was also watching over a new puppy in the family at the time, so I guess I was distracted too >_>). On the recent rewatch, I saw that in fact
, spurred on by her childhood spirit, she ended up meeting with Toshio to presumably go back
and... I don't know, my opinion of the film dropped at that.

Unrelated question: is Only Yesterday the most
optimistic
a Takahata Isao Ghibli flick has ended?

Luckily the rights for the German releases are all with the same studio, except for one (Fireflies), which is strange. But that other publisher designed the case so that it fitted in with all the other German releases :p

And luckily ours look like the Japanese ones

gMqMDnE.jpg

pic I took awhile ago

Pagusas

Elden Member
Luckily the rights for the German releases are all with the same studio, except for one (Fireflies), which is strange. But that other publisher designed the case so that it fitted in with all the other German releases :p

And luckily ours look like the Japanese ones

pic I took awhile ago

Where is Howl's Castle :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom