• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

Not even gonna bother. I'll get it when I get it.

I'm guessing 95% of these will be collecting dust in people's homes after 2 weeks.
I have enjoyed the Classic but more than anything else, it has inspired me to play more games on my NES Top Loader/CRT in recent days.

Mileage may vary and all that, but I don't think the Classic is worth the worry particularly if you already have an NES and personal collection of games.

No they aren't. Like you said, you'll get one eventually. Your $60 now isn't worth that much more than your $60 three months from now. Given how difficult this has been to get without a pre-order, this will convince many people who are on the fence about getting Switch to go ahead and pre-order in full well in advance. Guarantees more $$$ sales for Nintendo

This debacle will actually be a positive thing for Nintendo, but a shitty thing for their consumers.

I may get one eventually, or I may just move onto other things. I would have bought one right now, today, but who knows in the future. And I'm not just speaking for me - I'm sure there are people who want to gift one for Christmas but will not purchase after. Others are probably caught up in the hype but will pass once the hype dies down.

After buying the WiiU at launch no way in hell I'm going to pre-order a Switch.

If any of you have it in your cart or somewhere in the order process, keep the page there. What seems to work is have a second Walmart.com tab open to a different page, lets say your order history page. After some time passes, lets say a few hours, ALWAYS refresh that order history page first in case they auto-signed you out (which will happen). Log back in on that tab and THEN refresh the tab that has your in progress order.

Also, there was an edit button for my credit card available on the "place order" page. At 4:58 pm I hit edit so that I could re-enter the credit card security code, since the page tended to re-ask you for the security code after some time had passed and I didn't want that to get in the way at 5pm.

Doing that let me keep the tab at the "place order" page alive for 24 hrs and so I didn't have to start all over again from the beginning (it's ridiculous we have to write how-to's for this).

If any of you have it in your cart or somewhere in the order process, keep the page there. What seems to work is have a second Walmart.com tab open to a different page, lets say your order history page. After some time passes, lets say a few hours, ALWAYS refresh that order history page first in case they auto-signed you out (which will happen). Log back in on that tab and THEN refresh the tab that has your in progress order.

Also, there was an edit button for my credit card available on the "place order" page. At 4:58 pm I hit edit so that I could re-enter the credit card security code, since the page tended to re-ask you for the security code after some time had passed and I didn't want that to get in the way at 5pm.

Doing that let me keep the tab at the "place order" page alive for 24 hrs and so I didn't have to start all over again from the beginning (it's ridiculous we have to write how-to's for this).

Not trying to sound like a jerk but today is the last day 18th...

TLZ

Banned

Human vs Bot.

Woorloog

Banned
Unsure what to went to me, as i ordered one along with an extra controller. (Hopefully i'll get it this year, every single shop that has it lists it as sold out.)

Haven't played a Nintendo console or game since... maybe 10 years ago? Used to have Super Nintendo long ago but eventually i got an Xbox plus the controllers kinda broke down (d-pads became unresponsive) so i moved on.

cool mockup

tumblr_ogtqjpJoZG1swiks1o1_1280.png

source

Dingens

looking at the games list, I think it may be a huge oversight that they didn't make a European SKU...
I'm pretty sure nobody really gives a shit about Tecmo Ball around here, but European fan favourites (like Nintendo World Cup) are missing...
its pretty much the main reason why I have no intention in buying this.

looking at the games list, I think it may be a huge oversight that they didn't make a European SKU...
I'm pretty sure nobody really gives a shit about Tecmo Ball around here, but European fan favourites (like Nintendo World Cup) are missing...
its pretty much the main reason why I have no intention in buying this.
I live in the US, loved Tecmo Bowl back in the day and consider Tecmo Super Bowl my favorite game and I think including TB was pretty uninspired. Would've loved to have seen Ice Hockey or even Blades of Steel.

I too like Nintendo World Cup but like another fav of mine, Super Spike V'ball, I think they had to exclude 4-player games from this collection.

Burning Questions

1. Has anyone received a response from Emio in regards to the adapter to make the Edge Joystick work? I sent a direct email and sent a message through their contact page on their website and have not even received a reply yet.

2. I got a controller off Wal Mart on Thursday and it has yet to ship. It is supposed to arrive Wednesday November 23rd. When should I expect it to ship?

So all the restocks are going online so scalpers can get more with bots while the stores get zero restocks.....

Thanks Nintendo........ This limited stock launch has been such a shit show that it's not even funny.

They had FOUR MONTHS to prepare since announcement.

So all the restocks are going online so scalpers can get more with bots while the stores get zero restocks.....

Thanks Nintendo........ This limited stock launch has been such a shit show that it's not even funny.

They had FOUR MONTHS to prepare since announcement.

We all know that Nintendo is notorious for baffling decisions lol

So I've been playing around with the NES Classic.
Nobody bothered to change the stage 2 music in Double Dragon 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V00M6dPxpuo&index=4&list=PL9E49C20330451FFA

Easy Lover by Philip Bailey & Phil Collins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR_2MMar0s0

Double Dragon 2 Arranged Soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K75dwwBdjDc&index=3&list=PL6BoklkwiyPAirpzdGKWcPVxJF2r_bdu5

It's weird because when Tecmo re-released Ninja Gaiden (the arcade game), they removed this track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf2KqOMt9Ik&list=PL1522039371370DE7&index=10

Iron Man by Black Sabbath
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uctu1e353os

I just read on bgr.com (I think - it was a link from flipboard or somewhere) that Walmart may have more stock to keep doing more flash sales of NES classics and controllers next Monday and Tuesday at 5PM EST.

No idea how reliable that is but for anyone wanting to try you may have a chance...

I also read that someone bought a NES classic on eBay for $88,888.88. I don't personally believe it but it made some headlines.

Crazy world...

We all know that Nintendo is notorious for baffling decisions lol

At this point I almost wonder if they sent more units to Youtube channels than actual stores.

I mean there should have been at least a pallet display of 50 units with an extra pallet display in the back. Wal-Mart and other retailers ordered a shit ton and they were only met with a sub 10% fulfillment.

I've talked to quite a few casuals who wanted to buy the mini but were disinterested due to the limited the supply. So what's the fucking point of attracting a broader market reach due to a limited supply if people say "fuck it". Instead of selling a product?

edit: I'm really curious on what Pachter's thoughts are on this.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
It's finally here!

Cute little gadget. Smaller than I imagined.

Let's get started with Ninja Gaiden :D

At this point I almost wonder if they sent more units to Youtube channels than actual stores.

I mean there should have been at least a pallet display of 50 units with an extra pallet display in the back. Wal-Mart and other retailers ordered a shit ton and they were only met with a sub 10% fulfillment.

I've talked to quite a few casuals who wanted to buy the mini but were disinterested due to the limited the supply. So what's the fucking point of attracting a broader market reach due to a limited supply if people say "fuck it". Instead of selling a product?

edit: I'm really curious on what Pachter's thoughts are on this.

Exactly. This is the type of product that would be PERFECT to be sitting on the shelves for impulse buys by anyone. Like, on the end of the aisles for easy display. They (Nintendo) should have put this all over the place.

EDIT: Or if Nintendo was unsure of the interest you'd think they would have pulled this shit in the middle of the summer so they could have gauged what the interest would be for the holidays. Whatever.

The controller I was able to get from Wal Mart on Thursday has yet to ship and it is supposed to arrive Wednesday. I paid extra for faster shipping too.

When is this thing going to ship?

wheres the best place to buy this in the UK at normal price? i don't mind waiting until more stock comes in. i just want to order it. i went on the nintendo site but it just says out of stock and more in december. it wouldn't let me order it. amazon prices are crazy (£150) and i can't find it on GAME. ebay are all £100+

Turnbl

wheres the best place to buy this in the UK at normal price? i don't mind waiting until more stock comes in. i just want to order it. i went on the nintendo site but it just says out of stock and more in december. it wouldn't let me order it. amazon prices are crazy (£150) and i can't find it on GAME. ebay are all £100+

Nowhere is accepting orders at the moment.

Most sites have just deleted their order page including Amazon and Argos.

Nintendo's UK store (which is run by the Hut) have said new stock in December. Rumours Smyth's is getting stock between 21st-28th Nov but that may just cover their outstanding orders.

Amazon, Game and Tescos current stance is they are all expecting more stock in December. So unfortunately just a waiting game unless you're prepared to pay over the odds (don't).

the chris

Just got my two systems from Best Buy, they were backordered after I managed to get my order in. Got one for my friend as a Christmas present, the second one was going to be for myself until I decided I didn't want it after all. I was going to sell it online until my brother told me that my niece wanted one for Christmas, so now it's going to her.

Rodin

I was finally able to find it. The machine itself is beautiful, the controller is fantastic (those buttons!) and i love the main menu. Tried a few games of this amazing collection and this thing is absolutely amazing, i use it on an OLED screen and the graphics feel "right". Also tried the CRT filter, which is awesome, but i'm playing with the 1:1 option and games look really fantastic. My only complaint is that the controller cable is really, really too short.

I do have a question though: old games have tons of high contrast static text on screen all the time, is there a risk of image retention/burn in on my OLED TV (EG9100)? I activated the "reduce burn in" option in the menu, am i good?

FTF

I was finally able to find it. The machine itself is beautiful, the controller is fantastic (those buttons!) and i love the main menu. Tried a few games and this thing is absolutely amazing, i use it on an OLED screen and the graphics feel "right". Also tried the CRT filter, which is awesome, but i'm playing with the 1:1 option and games look really fantastic.

I do have a question though: old games have tons of high contrast static text on screen all the time, is there a risk of image retention/burn in on my OLED TV (EG9100)? I activated the "reduce burn in" option in the menu, am i good?

With a plasma viera myself, this is a def concern for me too :/

Guess I missed my chance to get a second controller. Can't believe this. Really sucks that the scalpers appear to be winning and keeping people from purchasing anything related to this release.

Chittagong

Gold Member
What's the extension cord status, are there any good ones? The controller cord is like 1 feet long. Amazing device otherwise, and would buy the Super Famicom one in a heartbeat

In the UK it was freely available to preorder before release for months at all the usual online stores. I got mine from Shopto for £47. Glad I stuck with it, love this little thing.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So I just picked up my NES mini controller from Walmart. It's really cool to be able to have a fresh controller to experience over 25 years later. Makes me realize how worn out my old controllers really are.

So has anyone figured out a way to use the NES classic mini controller with actual NES hardware? I would love to be able to use a fresh controller with my original 1985 hardware. New, sealed NES controllers command a premium on eBay for obvious reasons.

Similarly, has anyone cracked open a NES classic mini controller, to see if possibly the shell would fit around the original NES controller board? I would gladly sacrifice a $10 controller just for the shell and membrane to revitalize some old NES controllers.

The power cord is just a micro USB lead. Not much longer than 30cm I think. If you get a standard USB extension cable and a long-ish HDMI cable you'll be fine.

Top Bottom