• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

Feeroper

Nintendo fucking sucks.

Every awesome thing they make or do always has a crippling caveat.

Absolutely this. They will throw their loyal fans under the bus without hesitation. I guess that is business though.

I've stated it before on here, but I'm getting more and more tired of this practice of theirs. They didn't even try to pretend this time, they just brazenly short supplied this thing with no excuse - its extremely simple to manufacture in massive quantities and they knew the interest was through the roof for this thing.

Its really frustrating because I love the stuff they make, but they put up so many obstacles for their fans. I mean, the iPhone 7 Plus was easier to get than this thing. My knee jerk reaction is to want to see this backfire on them badly, but at the same time I love Nintendo and have been a huge Nintendo fan since the NES first arrived in North America, and I've been a loyal fan ever since buying every console they have released on day one. One of my favorite Xmas memories as a child was getting the original NES with Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, it quite literally changed my life.

Even through the turbulent Wii U years I've been a happy supporter and I have a huge Wii U library. This kind of move feels like they just took a huge dump on me as a fan though. I know they don't control shitty scalpers, and the company doesn't owe me anything since it is all business, but it doesn't change the fact that it makes those of us left out in the cold feel second rate. I get that they want to build their brand value and be the "hot new toy" for Xmas in anticipation of the Switch's upcoming release next year, it's just unfortunate that a lot of us fans get left behind.

If anyplace around me had taken pre-orders previously for this thing I would have absolutely done that, but as far as I know no one in Canada was doing a pre-order program thanks to the limited shipments.

Here's to hoping they decide to send out multiple large shipments to retailers on a frequent basis from now until Xmas.

SalvaPot

I finally got my Famicom.

The controllers are just adorable. I think I might take pictures with my bunnies holding them...

No wait, they are probably going to chew on them.

cool USB cable mod
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/nes-classic-edition-controller-mod.64171/

4cCPIEC.jpg

Absolutely this. They will throw their loyal fans under the bus without hesitation. I guess that is business though.

I've stated it before on here, but I'm getting more and more tired of this practice of theirs. They didn't even try to pretend this time, they just brazenly short supplied this thing with no excuse - its extremely simple to manufacture in massive quantities and they knew the interest was through the roof for this thing.

Its really frustrating because I love the stuff they make, but they put up so many obstacles for their fans. I mean, the iPhone 7 Plus was easier to get than this thing. My knee jerk reaction is to want to see this backfire on them badly, but at the same time I love Nintendo and have been a huge Nintendo fan since the NES first arrived in North America, and I've been a loyal fan ever since buying every console they have released on day one. One of my favorite Xmas memories as a child was getting the original NES with Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, it quite literally changed my life.

Even through the turbulent Wii U years I've been a happy supporter and I have a huge Wii U library. This kind of move feels like they just took a huge dump on me as a fan though. I know they don't control shitty scalpers, and the company doesn't owe me anything since it is all business, but it doesn't change the fact that it makes those of us left out in the cold feel second rate. I get that they want to build their brand value and be the "hot new toy" for Xmas in anticipation of the Switch's upcoming release next year, it's just unfortunate that a lot of us fans get left behind.

If anyplace around me had taken pre-orders previously for this thing I would have absolutely done that, but as far as I know no one in Canada was doing a pre-order program thanks to the limited shipments.

Here's to hoping they decide to send out multiple large shipments to retailers on a frequent basis from now until Xmas.

It's not really how mass production works. They can't say two months beforehand triple our production. Nintendo has always been a conservative company when it comes to production. Especially of an unknown item. You can't really compare it to iPad or iPhone production as their trends and indicators in place for about 10 years now. What do they have to gain by not getting as many out before Christmas.?

I finally called Wal Mart about the order I placed this past Thursday for a NES Classic Controller and they confirmed its back ordered.

They said it won't cancel for another 2 weeks so once they get more stock it will fulfill.

They refunded me the shipping and gave me 10% off the order.

We will have to wait and see what happens. It is fucking bullshit that I put an order in on Thursday yet they put up more the day after. Nintendo why do you do this.

I finally called Wal Mart about the order I placed this past Thursday for a NES Classic Controller and they confirmed its back ordered.

They said it won't cancel for another 2 weeks so once they get more stock it will fulfill.

They refunded me the shipping and gave me 10% off the order.

We will have to wait and see what happens. It is fucking bullshit that I put an order in on Thursday yet they put up more the day after. Nintendo why do you do this.

I like your response from Walmart better than what my household got. Fingers crossed for both of us.

Ugh, that shimmer is kind of nauseating......... Is it really that bad for people that have it?

Well you've seen the video. It is what it is. Its not like its exclusive to the NES mini though.
Playing these games in non-integer scales will produce shimmering. Thats why the pixel perfect option exists. The Bilinear filtering in the CRT mode should mask the shimmering too, so if you want to play in 4:3, then you'd have to chose that setting.

Vee_One

I finally finished Mega Man 2. Ever since I was a kid it's always been the one that has got away. Used to rent it from the video shop.

Lynd7

Ugh, that shimmer is kind of nauseating......... Is it really that bad for people that have it?

Shimmer didn't seem that different to other non integer scaling video options on other devices. But it doesn't have the advantage of stopping it other than in pixel perfect mode.

The audio delay is annoying though.

Moodz

So I'm sure it's been answered multiple times but it's a pain to search.
Are there any good sources for buying controller cord extension when you're in Europe?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just finished StarTropics.

It's a charming and lovely game but the walking feels a bit... Unwieldly.

Not to mention the game can get difficult towards the end.

chrono01

I just finished StarTropics.

It's a charming and lovely game but the walking feels a bit... Unwieldly.

Not to mention the game can get difficult towards the end.
I've been meaning to ask, how do they handle the submarine code in the digital version? You don't have a physical instruction manual and the note from Dr. Jones to douse with water. :(

GTI Guy

So,,,I go to Target this morning as I've done a handful of times since the console launch. There were a two dudes in line, but this is pretty normal, every time I've gone in the morning there's a handful of people. I get in line and these cats are talkin and one of them gets a text and says 'they're coming to open the door now'. I figure this is some possible good news, this guy seems to know someone in target and maybe these guys are there to pick up a console. I get excited...

The doors open and the two head straight for the electronics department. Excitement rising. I get in line and the Target employee says sorry man we only got two consoles.

FUCK

So,,,I go to Target this morning as I've done a handful of times since the console launch. There were a two dudes in line, but this is pretty normal, every time I've gone in the morning there's a handful of people. I get in line and these cats are talkin and one of them gets a text and says 'they're coming to open the door now'. I figure this is some possible good news, this guy seems to know someone in target and maybe these guys are there to pick up a console. I get excited...

The doors open and the two head straight for the electronics department. Excitement rising. I get in line and the Target employee says sorry man we only got two consoles.

FUCK

lol

Sorry to hear that mate. Keep trying. You'll get one eventually. I lucked out that I'm nerd #1 in my town and was able to grab 1 on release day.

My extra controller arrived yesterday from Walmart. That box is super tiny. Super long HDMI cables are coming in today. Now I just need extension cords and I'll be set. I'm tempted to try to mod it myself. This is 80's technology. It can't be that hard.

Good news - my console finally arrives from Best Buy today

Bad news - I had a fuckin controller for pick up at Walmart but apparently the order is cancelled at 10am of the last day to pick it up. It had already been shipped back to the warehouse or whatever by the time I tried to pick it up

Still happy to get my console tho

Oynox

Received my console today after getting the controler on time the 11th. But I think I will sell it again since I am a bit short on dough and believe in Nintendo that they will have more consoles at a later date..

Who in the UK sells a spare controller?!

Geez, these are rarer than the actual console!

IIRC You could order them from the official Nintendo UK store, but they sold out quickly.

They seem to have universally underestimated the demand for 2nd controllers which is silly considering all the 2P games included.

Well you've seen the video. It is what it is. Its not like its exclusive to the NES mini though.
Playing these games in non-integer scales will produce shimmering. Thats why the pixel perfect option exists. The Bilinear filtering in the CRT mode should mask the shimmering too, so if you want to play in 4:3, then you'd have to chose that setting.

The shimmering effect in non integer scale modes isn't nearly as noticeable on the AVS. I also just compared the Ninja Gaiden bar widths and they look consistent on what's considered the most accurate AVS scaling option (3rd tick, which is about 1.18 PAR)

NES Classic (direct capture from MLiG review)
nes_classic.jpg

AVS (quick camera phone snap)
avs.jpg

MouldyK

IIRC You could order them from the official Nintendo UK store, but they sold out quickly.

They seem to have universally underestimated the demand for 2nd controllers which is silly considering all the 2P games included.

My Smyths Order is ready to collect now, soI just got a Classic Controller for Wii for Player Two.

Why are we allowing scalper talk in here?

Are we serious?

People can't find the console or the controller or have had orders canceled or not enough when they get to a store opening and we just let people talk about scalping.

Get it the fuck out of here.

GTI Guy

Why are we allowing scalper talk in here?

Are we serious?

People can't find the console or the controller or have had orders canceled or not enough when they get to a store opening and we just let people talk about scalping.

Get it the fuck out of here.

What you talkin about scalping? Who's scalping in this thread?

FaintDeftone

I had an awesome surprise yesterday evening. I got home from work and an unexpected package was sitting on my doorstep. Inside was a brand new NES Classic. A few friends of mine were able to snag one from Walmart and pitched in to buy it for me. I was shocked to see it.

Played a bunch of Mega Man 2 and Bubble Bobble last night to test it out and I'm very impressed with it.

What you talkin about scalping? Who's scalping in this thread?

I don't want to witch hunt and call people out, I just don't want it in here. Go to BST or Reddit scalping subreddits.

There are people on this page and I've seen it plenty of times since launch here.

I have the NES Classic Edition and The Edge Joystick and am waiting for Wal-Mart to ship my extra NES Classic Controller, so I can't feel the same as those who have nothing, but it just sucks to see people talk about missing out after waiting in line today (I think that was you) and then people talking about selling it and how much they made.

It shouldn't be allowed here.

Grimsen

I don't want to witch hunt and call people out, I just don't want it in here. Go to BST or Reddit scalping subreddits.

There are people on this page and I've seen it plenty of times since launch here.

I have the NES Classic Edition and The Edge Joystick and am waiting for Wal-Mart to ship my extra NES Classic Controller, so I can't feel the same as those who have nothing, but it just sucks to see people talk about missing out after waiting in line today (I think that was you) and then people talking about selling it and how much they made.

I don't see anything...?

Edit, never mind. found a few posts. meh.

Oynox

I am sorry I did not mean to offend anyone. I did not buy the console to resell it buy my financial situation does not allow me to keep it either. Since Nintendo already confirmed that the NES Mini is not limited and will be reproduced throughout the coming months I am certain that price conscious people will refrain from buying consoles more expensive than the RRP, but if there are other fans out there willing to pay more for it it is fine for them. I did not rip off anyone since I explicitly warned him about the pricing situation.

Personally, I am really looking forward to use the system in the future.

YESSSSSSSS!!!

Wal-Mart just shipped my NES Classic Edition Controller!

I ordered it this past Thursday November 17th. They are using FedEx Overnight Priority so it will show up tomorrow as originally planned and paid for! Hooooray!

I am now complete and don't have to worry about this thing anymore.

I have:
-NES Classic Edition
-The Edge Joystick (plus the free stuff they are sending - adapter, extension cable and mystery gift)
-Controller Extension Cable
-NES Classic Edition Controller
-USB+HDMI Extensions

The setup will soon be complete!

YESSSSSSSS!!!

Wal-Mart just shipped my NES Classic Edition Controller!

I ordered it this past Thursday November 17th. They are using FedEx Overnight Priority so it will show up tomorrow as originally planned and paid for! Hooooray!

I am now complete and don't have to worry about this thing anymore.

I have:9
-NES Classic Edition
-The Edge Joystick (plus the free stuff they are sending - adapter, extension cable and mystery gift)
-1 Extension Cable
-NES Classic Edition Controller
-USB+HDMI Extensions

The setup will soon be complete!

Nice! Mine went to shipping also. I'm doing in store pickup though. Says it should arrive st the store tomorrow!

Wow, that input lag looks really bad. I wonder if it's the TV they're using?

Audio emulation/delay also seems really problematic.

It must be their TV. I have a fast monitor, and I don't notice any lag on the Classic.
It's not just me, though. Most reviews I read before it released also thought the lag was virtually unnoticeable.

The only way I can naturally tell the existence of some lag is if I switch over to playing my real NES on a CRT, and then my performance in certain games and mechanical maneuvers improve slightly.

During the 4:3 mode, the shimmering isn't as noticeable when it's not zoomed in like it is in the video, but it's still not perfect. Better than what I noticed on AVS, imo, though.
I use the CRT filter when playing, but that's my preference.

Pilgrimzero

I finally finished Mega Man 2. Ever since I was a kid it's always been the one that has got away. Used to rent it from the video shop.

The best one of the series.

Picked up the cartridge for my NES awhile back and still could play it like I never stopped. It's ingrained into me.

GTI Guy

Oh I see...I missed that post. Yeah lame. :( And yes...it was me who got hosed at target...sad :(

Top Bottom