• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

MyEpitomeCliché;225279739 said:
Our store is getting 2 for Friday. 2. Gonna be a fucking bloodbath.
That guy who's already first in line at Best Buy for Black Friday isn't too crazy now huh. First thing he's going for is probably the NES

Picked mine up from Walmart (ship to store) and have played a little bit of all of the Super Mario Bros games (and got reamed in Ghosts & Goblins).

What a nice little toy. I'm using "pixel perfect" mode and have my HDTV set to "Game" mode with all options disabled. I'm not seeing any problems so far - no graphics issues and I'm not detecting any game lag or audio lag either, but I may not be the best judge of such things either.

And it's so small and light! The controller cord length being short CANNOT be understated. I'm sitting in a chair right in front of my TV with the NES Mini on the floor right in front of me and the controller cord is STILL short...

Fun though!

EDIT: Forgot to add that Demo Mode is awesome! I'm having almost as much fun just watching the demo mode as I am actually playing the thing. So lucky and thankful I got one but I am still frustrated for all of you that were unable to get one yet. I'm also still angered at all the work I had to go through to get one (and I didn't even do half of the work most of you have). Just insane.

Penguin

So I thought the Classic Controller Pro worked with this, but tried last night and didn't really do anything?

I have the black one if makes diff... maybe it's newer/older?

Walmart had stock at 2 p.m. yesterday and today. The website was not hammered and I easily got a system.

Fucking finally. It won't be here until next Friday.

kdoll08

I was just able to order a NES Classic through Walmart. So in the last 2 days I got through on the controller and the system. It's about damn time.

Lynd7

Nah, that's the only hands-on article or review that has mentioned anything like that. Even if it were real on every TV, it's such a minor unnoticable issue (unless you are a few inches away from your TV) that I'd rather have that than seeing the pixel-perfect mode where all characters are too thin.

It's definitely noticable from normal distances. If it doesn't bother you though, that's cool.

With non integer scaling your just making the image quality worse though.

Just got one..ordered on Firefox..had one already in my shopping cart from last week..the second it said it was available for purchase I ordered it..says it will be delivered on December 2nd

It's definitely noticable from normal distances. If it doesn't bother you though, that's cool.

With non integer scaling your just making the image quality worse though.

You're making the image quality worse by using Pixel Perfect mode too. You're making everything look too thin. That's just as bad as the old days when TV stations would stretch shows to eliminate black bars.

PSOreo

Picked my pre-order up from Game today at last. They even held it for me while I was on holiday. Genuine decent guys that work at my local store.

Lynd7

You're making the image quality worse by using Pixel Perfect mode too. You're making everything look too thin. That's just as bad as the old days when TV stations would stretch shows to eliminate black bars.

True, although the in this instance I think the thinner aspect is the lesser of the two evils.

alba

Little is the new Big
YESSSSSSSS!!!

Wal-Mart just shipped my NES Classic Edition Controller!

I ordered it this past Thursday November 17th. They are using FedEx Overnight Priority so it will show up tomorrow as originally planned and paid for! Hooooray!

I am now complete and don't have to worry about this thing anymore.

I have:
-NES Classic Edition
-The Edge Joystick (plus the free stuff they are sending - adapter, extension cable and mystery gift)
-Controller Extension Cable
-NES Classic Edition Controller
-USB+HDMI Extensions

The setup will soon be complete!

Mine shipped too so now I have the NES, extra controller and waiting on my 2 extension cables coming from China and I'm all set.

True, although the in this instance I think the thinner aspect is the lesser of the two evils.

If you look at something like Punch-Out!! on 3DS this is certainly true. For example it is harder to discern Great Tiger's flashing jewel in his turban when the scaling is applied, it fuzzes up certain columns of pixels. 1:1 is better for sure.

You’re actually making the image quality worse by playing in 4:3. Pixels won’t be uniform, as they’ll need to be stretched to fit the aspect ratio. Leading to a less sharp picture, and the aforementioned shimmering during scrolling.
Whilst true the NES would output 4:3, its native resolution of 256 / 224 (= 1.14) gives us an 8 / 7 (= 1.14) ratio. While not an issue on CRTs, it is on fixed pixel displays.

Take the pixels that make up the hills in SMB for example, or the buttons on the Mario sprite:

pt08nfE.png

Some may be able to ignore the display issues in 4:3, but playing in 1:1 mode is no more wrong than the former.

You’re actually making the image quality worse by playing in 4:3. Pixels won’t be uniform, as they’ll need to be stretched to fit the aspect ratio. Leading to a less sharp picture, and the aforementioned shimmering during scrolling.
Whilst true the NES would output 4:3, its native resolution of 256 / 224 (= 1.14) gives us an 8 / 7 (= 1.14) ratio. While not an issue on CRTs, it is on fixed pixel displays.

Take the pixels that make up the hills in SMB for example, or the buttons on the Mario sprite:

pt08nfE.png

Some may be able to ignore the display issues in 4:3, but playing in 1:1 mode is no more wrong than the former.
Shimmering is not something that's just going to automatically happen when displayed in 4:3, nor are less sharp pictures, not unless you scale by some fractional amount. And I don't know what you are getting at with that pixel issue, that's not something caused by displaying the art as they should be in 4:3, that looks like some emulator did a crappy job at scaling an image; that's not a screenshot from the NES Classic is it? I mean, it doesn't matter what NES's "native resolution" was, because its "native resolution" was designed for pixels that had a 4:3 aspect ratio, that's what the art was drawn for.

Greyvvolf

I didn't think the short controller cable was going to be a problem. Immediately ordered this after setting everything up.
The short cable is a problem.
Someone mentioned that the clear plastic can be taken off and that's what I did. No branding, both ends of the Insignia cables are exactly like the NES controller ends, except the screws are silver and not black. I would recommend this to anyone buying an NES Classic.

5616700cv11d.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

pt08nfE.png

Those aren't nipples?
Sorry - couldn't resist. Old joke.

Maybe scalpers already bought enough of these?

I was wondering the same thing. Glad to see several people got one! The NES classic edition isn't perfect, but damn - I'm having more fun with it than I actually thought I would. I played it for a solid 4 hours today and barely feel like I've even scratched the surface, haven't even tried all the games yet, and I don't have the second controller to play a 2 player game with one of my sons.

I didn't think the short controller cable was going to be a problem. Immediately ordered this after setting everything up.
The short cable is a problem.
Someone mentioned that the clear plastic can be taken off and that's what I did. No branding, both ends of the Insignia cables are exactly like the NES controller ends, except the screws are silver and not black. I would recommend this to anyone buying an NES Classic.

5616700cv11d.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

For all the people thinking of getting extension cables for their controller(s) you may want to get a cheaper HDMI cable INSTEAD - you can get them up to 25 feet length Amazon has one for just $10. You can also use an extension cable for power. If you buy those extension cables for the controllers then:
1) They are expensive (I believe). EDIT: Nevermind. Seeing them on Amazon for $8 and $10 - but still you could buy one HDMI cable to same price (and see my other reasons).
2) You will need to have two if you will be playing a two player game (unless one of you will be sitting very very closely to the TV).
3) You will still be walking over to your TV a lot to hit the reset button on the console itself.
4) I personally question how reliable those extension cables will be.

Just sharing some thoughts...

Greyvvolf

For all the people thinking of getting extension cables for their controller(s) you may want to get a cheaper HDMI cable INSTEAD - you can get them up to 25 feet length Amazon has one for just $10. You can also use an extension cable for power. If you buy those extension cables for the controllers then:
1) They are expensive (I believe). EDIT: Nevermind. Seeing them on Amazon for $8 and $10 - but still you could buy one HDMI cable to same price (and see my other reasons).
2) You will need to have two if you will be playing a two player game (unless one of you will be sitting very very closely to the TV).
3) You will still be walking over to your TV a lot to hit the reset button on the console itself.

Thanks for sharing. Never thought of that, to be honest. I have the NES setup just under my TV. When I first tried to sit where I usually do it was too short. Buying an extension cable was the perfect solution to me and pressing the reset button wasn't an issue as well. I could see how this isn't the best solution for everyone though. I will report here if there are any problems with the Insignia cable.

jwhit28

It just set in that the most coveted game related item this Black Friday will more than likely be a device dedicated to NES games. I thought Pokemon was a hell of a drug.

Maybe scalpers already bought enough of these?

Over 230 listings on amazon via 3rd parties. Starting out at the low low price of $250.

Seriously, scalpers can fuck right off.

Due to Nintendos supreme, unending stupidity, there is never going to be a way for a normal person with limited time on their hands to purchase this is there?

JMARINE119

Neo Member
Several Targets in my area (Baltimore) are showing available stock on BrickSeek. Most stores show 6 with 5 for sale, one store shows 12/11. If you're in this area, go, go, go.

nintendo sucks in that regard. with switch, is gonna be worse, specially after the wii u failure

Those will always come back in stock. We can also count on pre orders to last at least a full day.

This having to be in the right place at just the right second, plus a heavy dose of luck, is just complete bullshit.

Those will always come back in stock. We can also count on pre orders to last at least a full day.

This having to be in the right place at just the right second, plus a heavy dose of luck, is just complete bullshit.

they say switch will have less units available for preorders than the wii u, and the excitement for the switch is way higher now, so I think you might be out of switch for a few weeks if you could not preoder right away

I just got a confirmation email from Emio that they received my proof of purchase and address to ship my NES Gift Pack (FREE NES Classic Edition Adapter + a FREE NES Classic Edition Extension Cable + a FREE SURPRISE BONUS GIFT (a $30 Value).

It sucks I can't use The Edge Joystick right now but I am fine waiting and getting all this free stuff.

Nibiru

Banned
Kind of trying to get 2 controller extensions but the only one that is attainable in Canada before Christmas is at Best Buy. They are available every couple of days BUT you can only order 1 at a time lol and the shipping is $17! lol so ya screw that.

Evenflow

Kind of trying to get 2 controller extensions but the only one that is attainable in Canada before Christmas is at Best Buy. They are available every couple of days BUT you can only order 1 at a time lol and the shipping is $17! lol so ya screw that.
Ebay. I ordered 2 shipped from Canada for $2 each... Who knows if the quality is ok but for that price worth the risk.

Those aren't nipples?
Sorry - couldn't resist. Old joke.

I was wondering the same thing. Glad to see several people got one! The NES classic edition isn't perfect, but damn - I'm having more fun with it than I actually thought I would. I played it for a solid 4 hours today and barely feel like I've even scratched the surface, haven't even tried all the games yet, and I don't have the second controller to play a 2 player game with one of my sons.

Even with the HDMI and having the system 1 foot away from my couch the controller cable is way too awkward to use, especially if you have two people playing. I really hope Nintendo revises the controllers at some point in the future. The length as it is right now is idiotic.

Nibiru

Banned
Ebay. I ordered 2 shipped from Canada for $2 each... Who knows if the quality is ok but for that price worth the risk.

I'd thought about that and it's a good idea but I want them before Christmas and most of the time when I order from ebay I wait forever. There were some on amazon too but again they all said might not get there by Christmas. Pain in the ass lol.

Toth

I got mine from BB online yesterday. This thing rocks. But why is it still so rare? I thought Nintendo was getting more out. Retailers are saying Nintendo cancelled more units and are making a new one with 30 different games ( which seems sooo false)....

Top Bottom