• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

they say switch will have less units available for preorders than the wii u, and the excitement for the switch is way higher now, so I think you might be out of switch for a few weeks if you could not preoder right away

Either way, the Switch WILL be available at some point at least.

Are any of them actually selling at that price? 230 sounds like a lot of stock.

I have no idea. I hope not.

pbsapeer

Banned
Managed to order one through Tesco today.
I wasn't bothered too much but the FOMO was strong with this one. I'm really excited to play the classic Zelda games as The oldest one I've played was links awakening on my game boy.

Sanic

Haven't really been keeping up with retail musings. Do I have a decent shot at grabbing a second controller tomorrow in the US?

Looking past the release frustrations, the console itself is everything I hoped it would be. Finally figured out how to freaking save too, lol.

Blasted through 4 bosses in Megaman 2 with my buddy last night. Only other Megaman I've played/beaten is Megaman X on SNES.

It's pretty amazing how complex some of these games are with only a few buttons to work with. My buddies and I had a blast with Punch Out as well

Is Final Fantasy wirth it these days? FF 15 is going to be my first FF game ever unless I go for this one, but it looks like it's mostly a HUGE grind?

And when the fuck is Nintendo going to restock these? So dumb that people still can't get them.

BFIB

Tried for a few days, but I'm too old for this shit. I'll grab one when I finally happen to see it on store shelves.

Is Final Fantasy wirth it these days? FF 15 is going to be my first FF game ever unless I go for this one, but it looks like it's mostly a HUGE grind?

And when the fuck is Nintendo going to restock these? So dumb that people still can't get them.

Early RPGs did have a lot of grinding in them, though Final Fantasy wasn't as bad as Dragon Warrior/DragonQuest. I would recommend starting with a later one in the series, and then going back to the first Final Fantasy to see where it all began. They hadn't even really gotten deep into storytelling yet with that one (though it does have a storyline of course). The Final Fantasy games are mostly unrelated from each other, so don't feel the need to play earlier ones to prepare yourself for 15.

Personally, if you wanted to play an older Final Fantasy game I would recommend going for one of the Super Nintendo games (Final Fantasy 4, 5 or 6) , by that time the games were about telling stories, and they had streamlined the gameplay and fixed a lot of the clunkiness from the first one.

Do you have a Wii? Or a Wii U? Buy the games you actually want, spend way less than $60, and forget this device.

Way less than $60? NES games cost $5 each on the Virtual Console. 30 games at $5 each is $150.

Joei

Tried for a few days, but I'm too old for this shit. I'll grab one when I finally happen to see it on store shelves.

Has this been getting released again? What are people doing to get it?

I would love to pick one up and if I get one, great, but if not, I really have no problem waiting a few months till it's more widely available.

Finally got my console today after ordering it last Thursday. My five year old loves it so far.
nqclb4I.jpg

Went to the local Super Walmart and asked if they had gotten anymore in since their initial shipment at launch. They said "No" and "We won't be getting anymore in"
I said "as in, never?"
And both clerks said "Yes. Only a few of the larger Walmarts will be getting anymore in"

wtf? Thanks Kimishima

BFIB

Has this been getting released again? What are people doing to get it?

I would love to pick one up and if I get one, great, but if not, I really have no problem waiting a few months till it's more widely available.
Walmart has had limited stock this week.

Early RPGs did have a lot of grinding in them, though Final Fantasy wasn't as bad as Dragon Warrior/DragonQuest. I would recommend starting with a later one in the series, and then going back to the first Final Fantasy to see where it all began. They hadn't even really gotten deep into storytelling yet with that one (though it does have a storyline of course). The Final Fantasy games are mostly unrelated from each other, so don't feel the need to play earlier ones to prepare yourself for 15.

Personally, if you wanted to play an older Final Fantasy game I would recommend going for one of the Super Nintendo games (Final Fantasy 4, 5 or 6) , by that time the games were about telling stories, and they had streamlined the gameplay and fixed a lot of the clunkiness from the first one.

Way less than $60? NES games cost $5 each on the Virtual Console. 30 games at $5 each is $150.
I really appreciate the in depth response, Dreamwriter! I have IV on SNES so maybe I need to dust off the old console and crank that out sometime

Finally got my console today after ordering it last Thursday. My five year old loves it so far.

That's adorable. And your post is EXACTLY why the NES classic edition is so great - bringing back good old games to a newer and younger generation to enjoy these timeless classics.

Unfortunately, your post is ALSO why Nintendo should have been getting these out as much as possible to everywhere in time for the Holidays instead of the charlie foxtrot that trying to get one is currently. Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo... You're like that brilliant but crazy uncle that we all adore, but just cannot understand his ways and just have to laugh and shake our heads at some of his insane decisions.

amnesiac

Have you guys just been using brickseeker or are there specific times these are getting put up for sale?

Every store, Target or Walmart, that's shown stock on Brickseek near me did not have the NES in store. I don't think it's very accurate or it only updates in the morning and people who get there super early are getting them.

My Wii Classic controller just arrived via ebay. It works great with NES Classic. Worth noting that when it is plugged into the first player input, the Wii Classic hook-up hangs over the player 2 input, meaning you can't plug in another controller if you are using it in the first socket.

For two player games with Wii Classic, you will have to use the NES Classic controller in input 1, Wii Classic in input 2.

I may use the Wii Classic for single player games; love that home button.

Really dumb question - I have this plugged in to my laptop via HDMI port, but how do I get this to run on my laptop? I know, stupid question. I know that I overlooked something simple, but I can't tell what, and the greater internet is no help.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I know. I think the HDMI port on the laptop is output only. I'm assuming that there is no way to get around this.

tiijj

Really dumb question - I have this plugged in to my laptop via HDMI port, but how do I get this to run on my laptop? I know, stupid question. I know that I overlooked something simple, but I can't tell what, and the greater internet is no help.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I know. I think the HDMI port on the laptop is output only. I'm assuming that there is no way to get around this.

You need a capture card or something to input the signal to your laptop.

Owari

Well I had two controllers paid for at Walmart but apparently I didn't pick them up fast enough so fuck me I guess they're sent back to the warehouse for whatever stupid reason.

tesqui

So, how long before I can buy this without having to be a crazy person? How long did it take before the Wii was readily available?

JDdelphin

BestBuy workers said there's been a nes classic controller recall.
They had stock in for today but had to send it back.

All non-official word of mouth, but I was curious if anyone else heard anything on these lines?

Could a quiet recall of a few bad runs of product be causing a bigger drought than possibly planned?

Krejlooc

Banned
I've been going to the store daily trying to get one of these for the kiddos for christmas. They sell out instantly. These are like tickle-me-elmos down here in Houston. Son of a bitch I'm going to have to start tracking deliveries to walmart lol.

All non-official word of mouth, but I was curious if anyone else heard anything on these lines?

Could a quiet recall of a few bad runs of product be causing a bigger drought than possibly planned?

Maybe a recall for the ones that don't work with the system unless you get an adapter from the company

I think the official ones are just out of stock completely

I'm not expecting to see any in store today when I go out but if I happen to see one I'll pick it up

It's possible, but if you ever hear anything from a random employee then it is likely complete bullshit.

If something that significant had happened, GAF would have known about it well before some random shlub at Best Buy.

No, what's far more likely is, like the GameCube controller for Smash, Nintendo just made basically none of them.

Sardello

how can I get a NES mini for 60 euro in Germany?? :(((

where should I be looking for deals?

In Europe the only thing you can do is checking Amazon every eraly morning. I got 3 NES (59€) ordering from them at 6:30.
3 different days and 3 different accounts.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Just ordered One from Argos for store collection fellow UK folks.

Additional controller is another story as Game cancelled my order

120v

I've been going to the store daily trying to get one of these for the kiddos for christmas. They sell out instantly. These are like tickle-me-elmos down here in Houston. Son of a bitch I'm going to have to start tracking deliveries to walmart lol.

houston here. what stores have you tried, just walmart?

If Nintendo hasn't said anything about it then it's just rumors.

fernoca

Yeah. The only recall I've heard about is around the third party controllers that are not working with it. There was the Advantage and 2 other models I think.

The official controllers has just been released in very few quantities.

Turnbl

My Wii Classic controller just arrived via ebay. It works great with NES Classic. Worth noting that when it is plugged into the first player input, the Wii Classic hook-up hangs over the player 2 input, meaning you can't plug in another controller if you are using it in the first socket.

For two player games with Wii Classic, you will have to use the NES Classic controller in input 1, Wii Classic in input 2.

The clear plastic guard can be taken off. There are 2 tri wing screws that can be unscrewed and screwed back in flush. This lets you use the Wii Classic controller in port 1 with another controller plugged in.

Top Bottom