• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

I think the only store that is getting them is the Nintendo World store in New York.

I'm there right now. It's a pretty massive line, and I'm almost positive they have stock for everyone on the line so far + extras (but there are also several people waiting here for the $99 3DS who didn't get wristbands).

They'll also have the NES Mini in stock tomorrow if you're here around 8 in the morning.

Guzim

I'm there right now. It's a pretty massive line, and I'm almost positive they have stock for everyone on the line so far + extras (but there are also several people waiting here for the $99 3DS who didn't get wristbands).

They'll also have the NES Mini in stock tomorrow if you're here around 8 in the morning.
I live in Connecticut. I'm tempted to make the trip.

SCB3

OK, I'm done, Gameseek took about 100 orders and then cancelled them all to place everyone in a list, I know some people onFacebook were ordering like 15-20 at a time, just to re sell, I only want one for myself, I can wait til after the xmas rush.

I wonder if the Switch is gonna be like this, planning on pre-ordering that asap

pbsapeer

Banned
Holy shit just picked mine up today from Tesco and this thing is friggin tiny. Doesn't weigh anything either. Cannot wait to get it plugged in and play it!

Ugh, I want a second controller so bad. I have a classic controller pro but its just so stained due to garbage plastics.

This is crazy how long stock is taking to catch up.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The system itself is incredibly cool, but the controller cord length is fucking abysmal. What was Nintendo thinking?

-Cheaper to produce
-Existing Classic Controller/Nunchuck molds on hand
-Allows you to be in range of the reset button on the unit
-Other things I'm not thinking of.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So uh, wow. This is gonna make some people jelly but I just walked into a store and bought an NES mini with no effort. I wasn't even looking for one, but there it was.

EB Games in Canada, if you're curious who might've got stock.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The system itself is incredibly cool, but the controller cord length is fucking abysmal. What was Nintendo thinking?
I also wonder if Nintendo of Japan's thinking guided the decision. Both Famicom and Super Famicom had really short cords. The concept of a console was less "lives permanently in your entertainment shelf" and more of a toy that you pull out from under the bed and sit down next to you on the floor while you temporarily hook it up to a TV.

For a plug and play unit, this is even more true.

Managed to find one of these in Canada but the cable length really feels like a dealbreaker. Ordered some extension cables from Amazon but it appears they were from a Chinese seller, I'm sure I'll get them in 4-6 weeks
wtzgU.gif

Spades

-Cheaper to produce
-Existing Classic Controller/Nunchuck molds on hand
-Allows you to be in range of the reset button on the unit
-Other things I'm not thinking of.

I'm still pretty convinced that Nintendo wanted us to all sit cross legged on the floor like we used to as kids.

Guzim

I got one from Target this morning!!! I checked Brickseek around 7 AM just to see if anyone get one, and my local Target had 5 in stock. I was number 3. I'm so excited!

D.Lo

I'm still pretty convinced that Nintendo wanted us to all sit cross legged on the floor like we used to as kids.
It has to be. There's literally no other reason, it would have been a fraction of a cent to make the cords longer. Their testing must have shown more positive user response if you are 'forced' to use it like a toy instead of a more modern console.

Also maybe they wanted people to recreate this:

nintendopressreleasead.jpg

It has to be. There's literally no other reason, it would have been a fraction of a cent to make the cords longer. Their testing must have shown more positive user response if you are 'forced' to use it like a toy instead of a more modern console.

The only reason for a second player to hold a controller while player one plays is to pause the game and screw player one up. So I choose to believe that's what the blonde kid is getting ready to do, while his parents look on with pride.

Oni Jazar

The mother isn't even looking at the screen...

Went to Target today since Brickseek said they had at least 7 in stock.

Apparently they couldn't find them in the back at all.

There was one other guy looking for them at the same time as I was. He thinks that a market savvy employee moved them to another location in the stock room and will end up buying all of them or having a buddy come in and sell them to their friend.

The two people working electronics were trying to tell us that because their handheld says it's in inventory doesn't mean it's in inventory. They tried to say that it meant they were expecting an order of x amount, not that they had them in stock.

Turnbl

Is it better to buy extension cables for the controllers or just buy a really long hdmi cable?

You still need to power it.

You can still get about 6ft playing distance with the supplied cables if you've got a small table to put it on.

Your decision probably rests on how often you will be saving/changing games and what controller you will be using.

Chucker

Just talked to a guy at TRU who helped me out in the early Amiibo days and he said they have 10 in the back but can't sell til 12/4.

Weird, but I guess get ready if you're looking.

Cilla

I decided to grab one this week as someone didn't collect their order. The hype was the main reason but I'm glad I did! It's a lot cuter than I expected and I never owned one previously!

You know, I've been wondering "Why Tecmo Bowl?" every time I scroll through the games on here, but that is the game that really caught my two Brother-In-Laws attentions. They wanted a Classic NES Mini the second they saw it, but Tecmo Bowl really sealed the deal for them. They played it all three days they've been over.

120v

i give up. not going through all this for a stocking stuffer

i'll refresh the amazon and best buy pages now and again but bleh.

I also love that most of these stores don't have the ability to check local stock via the website.

and even when they do it doesn't mean shit. i've "check stocked" at local target before where it says something is in stock and when i get there they say sorry, not in stock.

this is just a regular item in the middle of the year and not a high demand item so it's not like i was checking for something that sells out immediatey and i just didn't get there in time.

Placed an order to for the NES Classic carrying case at my nearby target today. Figured I'd get it since I put it away after each use.
Now if I can just get extension cables.

Recreate what? The world's shittiest Mario player joyfully jumping into a pit?

b3b0p

Is Final Fantasy wirth it these days? FF 15 is going to be my first FF game ever unless I go for this one, but it looks like it's mostly a HUGE grind?

And when the fuck is Nintendo going to restock these? So dumb that people still can't get them.

Yes. It is great! At the start, like all early RPG games I remember playing, it's difficult to get started, but once you get going they are fun, engaging, interesting and addicting. Final Fantasy is one of those, I loved the original Final Fantasy once I got a few hours into it. Better than most RPG games released today even. In my opinion perhaps. I played it a couple years ago on GBA and now keep thinking of playing it again soon.

Top Bottom