• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

pbsapeer

Banned
Schattenjäger;225492281 said:
Does it make sense to order a EU version for North America?
Will it work ?

Also what's the best HDMI cable to use ?
It comes with a HDMI cable, if that answers your question

You know, I've been wondering "Why Tecmo Bowl?" every time I scroll through the games on here, but that is the game that really caught my two Brother-In-Laws attentions. They wanted a Classic NES Mini the second they saw it, but Tecmo Bowl really sealed the deal for them. They played it all three days they've been over.

Easily one of the most popular games on the system. Just not for actual gamers. Think of the wide appeal of Madden crossed with the wide appeal of retro games. TB alone will sell a lot of these units in the next few years.

Easily one of the most popular games on the system. Just not for actual gamers. Think of the wide appeal of Madden crossed with the wide appeal of retro games. TB alone will sell a lot of these units in the next few years.

Tecmo Bowl is an awfully stupid game. But somehow it still manages to be awfully stupidly fun! My son and I have been playing it off and on over Thanksgiving weekend and really enjoying it.

Yes. It is great! At the start, like all early RPG games I remember playing, it's difficult to get started, but once you get going they are fun, engaging, interesting and addicting. Final Fantasy is one of those, I loved the original Final Fantasy once I got a few hours into it. Better than most RPG games released today even. In my opinion perhaps. I played it a couple years ago on GBA and now keep thinking of playing it again soon.

This is the first time I play a final fantasy before VII
Man those ghoul things that paralyze you after a hit make it pretty much game over for me. So happy this Nintendo isn't like the ones where you never know when your game will crash or worry about saving. I don't think I would have ever played through this back in the day.

Tecmo Bowl is an awfully stupid game. But somehow it still manages to be awfully stupidly fun! My son and I have been playing it off and on over Thanksgiving weekend and really enjoying it.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've had issues with them including TB in this collection but I have had a great time revisiting this old gem from yesteryear on the mini. I've embraced its very "binary" style compared to Tecmo Super Bowl (no fumbles, 4 burned in plays for each team, no coverage incompletions/only interceptions). It's a nice, arcadey variation to TSB.

Finally beat Castlevania for the first time ever. I never even knew there was a second quest. After I learned how to get the 2x and 3x item multipliers I was able to wreck Death, my childhood nemesis. Dracula was easy once I got the timing down for the first part and switched to holy water instead of the cross.

onionfrog

I'm really bummed that my mayflash NES controller adapter for Wii doesn't work on this.
:(

On the plus side I'm really digging the menus and the emulation is pretty good. The games look great on my TV too!

Unfortunately it looks like I'll need to buy an extension cord for the existing controller in order to be able to use it comfortably.

Is there anywhere to get a second controller right now for a non-ridiculous price?

This is the first time I play a final fantasy before VII
Man those ghoul things that paralyze you after a hit make it pretty much game over for me. So happy this Nintendo isn't like the ones where you never know when your game will crash or worry about saving. I don't think I would have ever played through this back in the day.

I love the first Final Fantasy. I've only played through the more recent "streamlined" versions and never had the chance to play the original version. I absolutely love the NES mini version but then again I'm a bit "old school" when it comes to RPGs and believe in making my own characters and creating my own "story" with just bare bones story coming from the game itself. I have even found myself actually preferring the original's mechanism of your characters not being able to attack if their target dies before they got their attack in. It adds an additional layer of strategy to fights that otherwise would just literally be spamming the attack button on the first monster for every single character and then just mostly yawning. I mean, in a tabletop RPG whatever target you said your characters were attacking all of the attacks happened at the same time anyway (even if they were resolved one at a time) so this mechanism reflects two of your party members attacking the same monster and one of them got the killing blow in but both of your guys still attacked that same monster. I now view that as a feature for these types of games and wish they hadn't streamlined them so much in the later Final Fantasies - and in the re-released versions of FF1.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've had issues with them including TB in this collection but I have had a great time revisiting this old gem from yesteryear on the mini. I've embraced its very "binary" style compared to Tecmo Super Bowl (no fumbles, 4 burned in plays for each team, no coverage incompletions/only interceptions). It's a nice, arcadey variation to TSB.

Ha ha! Yeah. The interceptions are a real pain but the fact they can (and do) happen so frequently has made me and my son just get real careful about who we pass to - and often leads to quarterback sneaks! We're at the point that we don't mind the interceptions as much - sometimes having a really painful game mechanic like that just makes you take a different tact. My take on it is that if there is nobody open to throw to then just move your QB up - its not like injuries are modeled in the game either and the net result is almost identical to an incomplete pass anyway.

That's the best way to enjoy some of these older games - just figure out a rationale yourself as to why something didn't happen the way you would have wanted - that's what we all did "back in the day". We didn't require our games to provide good reasons why their mechanics were wonky sometimes. :)

Turnbl

Back in stock at Argos UK for store collection only in 3-5 days.

<edit> and.... out of stock again by 6:40am

<edit 2> still minimal stock at some stores @7am

1480173314140.jpg

I managed to snag a NES classic mini yesterday at my local game shop, who managed to acquire some Euro stock (from Germany, judging from the packaging).

Yesterday was also the day I learned my 55" Devant has an unreasonably high amount of input lag, making pretty much all the Famicom games unplayable... missing the most basic of jumps in Super Mario Bros 1. I switched the unit to my PC monitor, and suddenly everything is exactly like I remember it. So frustrating!

Still, even though its a bit fiddly to use I'm happy with the end product.

Fucking finally. Love everything about it, except the fact that they used the inferior US box-art of Metroid. Although it makes sense with this being the 60Hz version. And why can't I make the Konami code work in Gradius? I feel stupid.

BriGuy

We had friends over the other day to ostensibly show them PSVR... and we ended up playing Bubble Bobble and Dr. Mario all night instead. I didn't own either of these games back in the day (rented them a few times though), so this was my first time playing either in a multiplayer setting and it was legitimately a ton of fun.

I hope everyone can get their hands on one soon. For people of a certain age, the gift of an NES mini is like giving them back their childhood. Even if the feeling only lasts for an hour or so on Christmas day, that's pretty magical in itself. I don't know know how Nintendo underestimated the demand so badly.

I managed to snag a NES classic mini yesterday at my local game shop, who managed to acquire some Euro stock (from Germany, judging from the packaging).

Yesterday was also the day I learned my 55" Devant has an unreasonably high amount of input lag, making pretty much all the Famicom games unplayable... missing the most basic of jumps in Super Mario Bros 1. I switched the unit to my PC monitor, and suddenly everything is exactly like I remember it. So frustrating!

Still, even though its a bit fiddly to use I'm happy with the end product.

Is your tv set to game mode and do you have all image post processing disabled in tv settings?

Also, is the NES mini's menu theme from a particular game or is it brand new? So catchy and good. Find myself humming it sometimes.

It's only Nintendo's fault. They are basically ensuring this price by not meeting demand. You can basically think of it as Nintendo pricing these things at $250.

I really can't blame Nintendo here. Yeah, they underproduced it, but I'm sure they didn't do it on purpose. They underestimated how popular it would be and it's not as easy to change mass production lines as people think it is.

This thing is pretty much their main source of income until the Switch launches. Do people really think they don't want to sell as many as they possibly can?

I really can't blame Nintendo here. Yeah, they underproduced it, but I'm sure they didn't do it on purpose. They underestimated how popular it would be and it's not as easy to change mass production lines as people think it is.
They announced this thing back in July. They knew it was gonna be a hot item. They're just trickling them to get people talking about the Nintendo brand again. Not saying they won't flood stores with them soon, though.

iphys

They announced this thing back in July. They knew it was gonna be a hot item. They're just trickling them to get people talking about the Nintendo brand again. Not saying they won't flood stores with them soon, though.

I agree. Same for the Black Friday new 3DS systems that sold out almost as quickly. They want to be the hot x-mas toy, just like the Wii was to increase hype for the company again. They sold these things so cheaply I'm not even sure if they're making much if any profit on them, and they probably don't even care as long as it helps their brand become popular again ahead of the Switch release. They'll probably trickle the Switch out too just to help try to create mass hysteria for it.

amnesiac

I ordered a controller from Walmart.com on the 17th. I got a shipping confirmation on the 21st. It says it's supposed to arrive by tomorrow but the tracking info just says "Tracking details will be available once the package arrives at the UPS facility. Please check back soon!" It's been like that since I got the tracking number. Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

This thing is pretty much their main source of income until the Switch launches. Do people really think they don't want to sell as many as they possibly can?

The Sega/Atari retro consoles have been selling pretty well at both normal game retailers and more non traditional retailers like pharmacies for years now. Couple that with the unexpected Amiibo demand from that launch and it seems foolish for them to underproduce again, especially when they could see the online hype and never took real preorders.

If a huge wave of product comes in before Christmas or shortly after they did it to build hype for their brand, if we don't have real stock for awhile it was an unexpected surprise and they're inept.

How can you underestimate so badly though...

$60, Christmas, nostalgia, and cute/tiny form-factor. It is absurd. I would have bought four or five for gifts this year.

Javier

Played Tecmo Bowl for the first time ever. It's surprisingly fun, and actually quite well designed for a NES sports game.

StayDead

Played Tecmo Bowl for the first time ever. It's surprisingly fun, and actually quite well designed for a NES sports game.

I honestly feel this about a lot of NES sports games. A lot of them are genuinely good even with how simple they are - see baseball and ice hockey as nice examples. That's not even including the golf games (Mario ones) that I really love.

StAidan

I already have my Classic, but I check Brickseek periodically to help out a few buddies. Our local Target got 6 of them in stock between yesterday and this morning. One of my friends sent his gf to go get one at opening time, but it was too late by then. Now, at 8:40am local time, all 6 of them are newly listed on eBay. lol... :(

via brickseek, one of the Target's has had "1" NES classic on hand for 5 days. Given the area its in, most likely it was stolen and they haven't taken it out of their system

SuperSah

Banned
This little thing is tremendous. Heading home from uni tomorrow for Christmas break and being able to bring this will give me a lot to do during quiet days. It's tiny and super portable.

JavyOO7

Damn, there's actually a tiny quantity available in some of these Targets in Miami for the NES Mini. Though this brings me back to amiibo, when I wanted Diddy Kong amiibo and Brickseek said there was a few in stock, and when I got there, there were none available. People working there even told me they had none in stock. Not sure what to do... guess wait until Nintendo fully stocks stuff in Dec-Jan, hopefully the same with their Famicom Mini...

kunonabi

I've started to doubt that I'll ever get the nes classic controller. At least I finally bought the club Nintendo super famicom controller today.

Top Bottom