• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

boxter432

One target near me shows EIGHT on brickseek...

Now 2 more at the one by my parents and 4 at the roseville mn target (first target store ever)

Damn, there's actually a tiny quantity available in some of these Targets in Miami for the NES Mini. Though this brings me back to amiibo, when I wanted Diddy Kong amiibo and Brickseek said there was a few in stock, and when I got there, there were none available. People working there even told me they had none in stock. Not sure what to do... guess wait until Nintendo fully stocks stuff in Dec-Jan, hopefully the same with their Famicom Mini...

Call before you go?
Even still, I don't think you can tell them to hold one for you while you're in commute so just because they have them in stock doesn't mean they'll still be there after you arrive. Too bad you can't have them hold one for you while you make your way over there

kunonabi

It's a better controller anyway.

I'm going to pick up the NES controller in the spring for my Wii.

Yeah, that's honestly the only reason I want the damn thing. It's going to be the last classic controller I need and I really want to play Castlevania with an NES controller again.

So I watched the Jim Sterling video about Nintendo's scarcity strategy and I agree. I do not agree with his assumption that people buy this and force classic gaming on their children.

I'm 39 years old and love that my wife and kids secured this for me, but my daughters 10 and 16 love the games. Specifically they love Punch Out and Kirby. These games have great hooks and span generations. My girls also love many modern games.

^While Sterling has some good points every now and then, the dudes been pretty much a caricature of himself for a while now. It's best not to take anything he says too seriously imo.

oo7

How accurate is the brickseek inventory checker? Saw some in stock this morning but was met with a "yeah we sold out already" Store had been open for 10 minutes.

There are 2 in stock according to brickseek... how reliable do you guys think this is? They definitely showed zero a couple days ago... And they open in 20 minutes.

(Edit) waiting outside the doors... Hope I didn't waste my time!

(Edit 2) does Sterling have kids? Cause his opinion sounds ridiculous. When I restored my nes, my kids wanted to play it and now love it. Not because I stapled a controller to their hands, but because they saw ME having fun and wanted to try...

And with only 2 buttons, the games are quick to learn and enjoy, just like they always have been.

There are 2 in stock according to brickseek... how reliable do you guys think this is? They definitely showed zero a couple days ago... And they open in 20 minutes.

can be really unreliable, sometimes it takes a while to update the stock.

Fuuuuuck there is a line... Thought it was a coincidence, then people started talking... Everyone is here to fight for 2 systems

This is just infuriating... But at lest I finally saw a box.

StAidan

How accurate is the brickseek inventory checker? Saw some in stock this morning but was met with a "yeah we sold out already" Store had been open for 10 minutes.

It's been pretty accurate in my experience, I sometimes re-check the stock numbers after I've been there to buy something, and the stock has already been subtracted by the time I get home.

JakeD

Targets near me have had new stock every day since Sunday, no luck though. (5ish per store) I have a feeling it's the same 5 scalpers using brickseek and going out at 5am. I was lucky enough to get one on Amazon but I'm trying to get one for a gift.

3rd in line today... and no luck again. I will try again tomorrow. Between this and hatchimals for my little girl....

I was able to get 2 NES Classics and 2 extra controllers and 2 Hatcimals.

1 NES Classic and 1 extra controller I am keeping NIB, while the other set is for my son for Christmas, the 2 Hatchimals are for my daughter for Christmas as well.

I was able to get 2 NES Classics and 2 extra controllers and 2 Hatcimals.

1 NES Classic and 1 extra contoller I am keeping NIB, while the other set is for my son for Christmas, the 2 Hatchimals are for my daughter for Christmas as well.
I can't believe these places aren't enforcing a one per person limit when they are only getting 5 at a time at most.

Fuuuuuck there is a line... Thought it was a coincidence, then people started talking... Everyone is here to fight for 2 systems

This is just infuriating... But at lest I finally saw a box.

(Edit 2) does Sterling have kids? Cause his opinion sounds ridiculous. When I restored my nes, my kids wanted to play it and now love it. Not because I stapled a controller to their hands, but because they saw ME having fun and wanted to try...

And with only 2 buttons, the games are quick to learn and enjoy, just like they always have been.

What ended up happening????

Like every year, my parents asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I'm 41 and married but they insist on getting me a gift every year and it's usually a struggle to come up with something. This year I thought it would be fun to ask for the NES Classic since it would harken back to my childhood when they would buy me systems for Christmas. This was pre-launch and I had no idea the burden I was placing on them. Fast forward to last night and of course they had not been able to secure one and I forbade them from paying more than MSRP. I told them to forget about it as they would be easy to find after Christmas, so instead I asked them to get me the RetroUSB AVS system instead. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Like every year, my parents asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I'm 41 and married but they insist on getting me a gift every year and it's usually a struggle to come up with something. This year I thought it would be fun to ask for the NES Classic since it would harken back to my childhood when they would buy me systems for Christmas. This was pre-launch and I had no idea the burden I was placing on them. Fast forward to last night and of course they had not been able to secure one and I forbade them from paying more than MSRP. I told them to forget about it as they would be easy to find after Christmas, so instead I asked them to get me the RetroUSB AVS system instead. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I hear you. I'm 45 and my mother in law asks for a list every year. This year I put the NES Classic on it, before I knew how bad the situation would be. Luckily my brother in law was able to snag one, but I was feeling bad about putting someone through trouble like that for a present.

Wow that's dedication! The controllers seem like the hardest part of all this.

My son wanted the NES and an extra controller and so did I, since I can obviously just use his I am going to keep mine NIB, but that wasn't my original plan.

I would have given him mine if I couldn't find an extra console and/or controller.

The Hatchimals were even more difficult to get that the NES.

Jingle all the fucking way....

So why is Nintendo so bad at meeting demand?

Honestly I haven't been interested in anything Nintendo has offered in over a decade, but the two times in those ten years where I needed to buy a Nintendo product as a gift (the Wii, and now the Classic) you can't find them.

They're basically just giving away that money to the pathetic scalpers. Smart business model.

Bog

Junior Ace
So much for a steady flow through the holidays. I don't think the major retailers have seen any kind of restock in the 3+ weeks since release. It's pathetic.

I think the first mistake you're making is assuming this isn't intentional.

What would be the rationale behind that? $60 is throwaway money. If it was in stock you'd get the hardcore who want it right away plus the "hey why not it's just $60" group. Now those potential impulse buyers are shrugging and moving on while everyone who needs one right now are handing their money over to anyone who isn't Nintendo to get one.

I'm guessing I'm missing something here.

Doubt it's intentional. They probably needed a stopgap to keep their name on everyone's lips throughout the holiday season and figured Wii U and 3DS sales would flounder but didn't anticipate the massive demand.

I wouldn't have anticipated it either seeing as how every other classic gaming all-in-one from Atari or Sega never set the world on fire.

I think the first mistake you're making is assuming this isn't intentional.

Eh, I doubt it's intentional. This isn't the first retro multi game device released. There are dozens of them and none of them lit the world on fire or probably have sold anywhere near what this is going to sell in the end. It's easy to see how stores ordered moderately, and Nintendo did manufacturing lines based on those interests. Neither the stores nor Nintendo saw this blowing up as huge as it did and how could they based on other similar devices? By the time it was looking to be huge, it was too late to increase production lines. It's already been pointed out you can't just turn on a dime and increase manufacturing capacity out of the blue. That stuff takes time to get going and as well as trying to project how those lines will play out long term because creating too many production lines in the long run can be costly in a negative way once the initial rush is over.

What would be the rationale behind that? $60 is throwaway money. If it was in stock you'd get the hardcore who want it right away plus the "hey why not it's just $60" group. Now those potential impulse buyers are shrugging and moving on while everyone who needs one right now are handing their money over to anyone who isn't Nintendo to get one.

I'm guessing I'm missing something here.
Yes, you are.

Have you heard of the Disney Vault?

Yes, you are.

Have you heard of the Disney Vault?

The Disney Vault exists because Disney doesn't have unlimited shelf space where they can put all their movies in every store, so they shuffle out the classics. They usually advertise when the classics are officially available again so people know they can go out and buy them, and I've never really had trouble finding a Disney movie in-store.

The problem with your comparison is that NES Classic isn't part of a periodically shifting lineup of classic Nintendo consoles, and people can't just go out and buy a scarce product.

That stuff takes time to get going and as well as trying to project how those lines will play out long term because creating too many production lines in the long run can be costly in a negative way once the initial rush is over.

I think the problem is that Nintendo is too conservative and risk-averse. It may be like Amiibo and after Christmas the production will increase, stores will finally be flooded with product but at that point demand will have gone down so there will be a glut of them and people will question whether a SNES version will ever come out.

I kind of question whether a SNES version is coming regardless. From VC sales, Nintendo knows that the demand for SNES-era games is higher and they can be sold individually for greater profit. I've certainly seen enough posters here comment on that gen being when games "got good". Regardless of their taste it's hard to see Nintendo selling 30 SNES games in the same way as the NES Classic. If they do it, they'll bump up the price for sure.

Eh, I doubt it's intentional. This isn't the first retro multi game device released. There are dozens of them and none of them lit the world on fire or probably have sold anywhere near what this is going to sell in the end. It's easy to see how stores ordered moderately, and Nintendo did manufacturing lines based on those interests. Neither the stores nor Nintendo saw this blowing up as huge as it did and how could they based on other similar devices? By the time it was looking to be huge, it was too late to increase production lines. It's already been pointed out you can't just turn on a dime and increase manufacturing capacity out of the blue. That stuff takes time to get going and as well as trying to project how those lines will play out long term because creating too many production lines in the long run can be costly in a negative way once the initial rush is over.

I remember reading in one of these threads (probably this one) where another poster said that he worked for a major retailer who decides how many items to purchase from vendors. He claimed that out of all of the stock they had ordered for their stores that Nintendo only fulfilled 7% of their order. There probably were some retailers that would have only ordered a few anyway, but that isn't the main problem apparently - Nintendo under produced for whatever reason. I also read about someone saying that they worked at a store that had to send back most of their stock of controllers suggesting that perhaps Nintendo had manufacturing or quality assurance problems.

In any case, it feels to me that Nintendo intentionally under produced due to their history of wanting to make sure they sell through their stock but they either had manufacturing issues and were unable to produce even as many as they wanted to or severely underestimated just how well this thing would sell which to me is doubtful but I'm not Nintendo.

I think it is obvious that the major retailers have by now probably put in large orders to Nintendo but manufacturing takes time so it could be months before these are made in larger volumes and are freely available on store shelves.

But I'm just going off of what other people have said and my own deductions so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. :)
And most of us are so salty over trying to get the NES Classic that we don't need any extra sodium at this point... I got my unit last week but I'm still a bit salty over all the work it took to secure one.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Just popped into the thread half-hoping to see that there was finally supply and that I could go grab one off a shelf. Guess I'll come back in a month.

SystemUser

Fucking finally. Love everything about it, except the fact that they used the inferior US box-art of Metroid. Although it makes sense with this being the 60Hz version. And why can't I make the Konami code work in Gradius? I feel stupid.

What are you doing? In Gradius you pause the game and then enter up up down down left right left right B A and when you unpause you will be fully upgraded. I think it only works once per game. It might be once per life though.

pbsapeer

Banned
I'm hoping for a SNES and N64 version of these consoles. The NES mini is superb and thoroughly enjoyable.
If they can get the same quality of games, and quantity of games I'd be doubly happy

The controller recall was the EMIO Edge (clone controller) and Edge Joystick (clone nes advantage) because they didn't work with the classic. There was no recall on oem controllerst, there just is a pathetic amount of them. I want one really bad but am settling with a classic pro controller.

Didn't really think about a game boy. Probably my most played Nintendo console
Would you imagine it as a handheld or home console?

A nice backlit handheld with a library of select GB and GBC games would be super cool. Pokemons, Kirby, and SML1-3 would be shoe-ins but I would like to see some oddball sleepers like Gargoyle's Quest and Mole Mania as well.

pbsapeer

Banned
A nice backlit handheld with a library of select GB and GBC games would be super cool. Pokemons, Kirby, and SML1-3 would be shoe-ins but I would like to see some oddball sleepers like Gargoyle's Quest and Mole Mania as well.
Yeah this is sounding very good. Maybe Nintendo are watching? Haha

Well color me surprised. I really thought that by now Nintendo would have opened the floodgates with this thing. If not that, then at least I expected a higher than average restock for Black Friday. All the reports I've seen so far point that a lot of places haven't event gotten a restock since the launch day. That's insane.

For a lot of people, especially casuals, no Tetris would be an incredible disappointment in a GameBoy Classic. If I were Nintendo, having the license to do that would be the deciding factor of whether I pursued it or not.

eagledare

Well color me surprised. I really thought that by now Nintendo would have opened the floodgates with this thing. If not that, then at least I expected a higher than average restock for Black Friday. All the reports I've seen so far point that a lot of places haven't event gotten a restock since the launch day. That's insane.

Yep. We called five retail outlets around us and they all reported they had not yet received follow-up shipments since launch day.

I guess this is what you wanted, Nintendo.

ihopeyouchokeonit.gif

Top Bottom