• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

zarnold56

So what's the best controller to get for this? I cannot find an official one at all. I see people are recommending the Wii Classic controller, but I can't find much for official ones of those either. Are any of the knockoff brands good I see on Amazon?

jmizzal

Finally got a NES Classic at the local Wally-Mart. Got out of work went to Walmart. Ask the guy at the electronics desk and he handed one to me. I feel like i won the lottery!

Where are you located and around what time did you go?

Also do they not site them out, your the 2nd person to say your local walmart randomly had them lol

//ARCANUM

Welp. My urban outfitters order says "back order". Why am I not surprised.

I do have a pending charge from them on my credit car though so ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

I chose the quickest shipping in hopes they'd process my order quickly.

Dinosur

Welp. My urban outfitters order says "back order". Why am I not surprised.

I do have a pending charge from them on my credit car though so ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

I chose the quickest shipping in hopes they'd process my order quickly.

This is starting to look like what their "scam" was all along. They took my money from paypal, put my shit on back order, and the FAQ claims you can't cancel an order after it's placed. So they got my money and who the fuck knows when they will ever actually get inventory, if ever.

//ARCANUM

This is starting to look like what their "scam" was all along. They took my money from paypal, put my shit on back order, and the FAQ claims you can't cancel an order after it's placed. So they got my money and who the fuck knows when they will ever actually get inventory, if ever.

i mean, i don't know if they're actively trying to scam people. that would be a mighty big risk for a company as big as them. but still, I'm not happy to see my order on back order. I hope it gets shipped.

edit - could also just be their inventory system reports back order when the item is sold out? just a thought.

UPDATE - my order status has changed to "has yet to ship". so maybe there's hope?

crpav

Love Nintendo and the email they sent. Says "Most wanted gifts for 2016" and of course the top item is the NES Classic Edition. Awesome!

Man...Nintendo is a MESS

Conservative company gonna conservative. They didn't want to lose money overstockingredients it and devaluing it by whoring shelf space. They have hype that will make up for the lost sales and then some. It's funny watching people think they have legal rights to purchase it. Talking of sueing urban outfitters and what not.

It's a mediocre emulator in a cute box. It's not a vaccine or a cure for cancer.

JaseMath

Nintendo is doing this on purpose and it's having the opposite affect on their long-time fans. Good job, Nintendo! Way to build faith and goodwill with your legacy fans...the same fans that will by and large carry the NS for the first six months.

GTI Guy

Nintendo is doing this on purpose and it's having the opposite affect on their long-time fans. Good job, Nintendo! Way to build faith and goodwill with your legacy fans...the same fans that will by and large carry the NS for the first six months.

No kidding if this was readily available I'd probably would have bought a few to give away for Christmas. Now, I'm thinking about buying an amazon fire box and putting an emulator on it and sticking it to Nintendo! LOL

Dartastic

Love Nintendo and the email they sent. Says "Most wanted gifts for 2016" and of course the top item is the NES Classic Edition. Awesome!
This absolute disaster of a launch seriously has me considering just buying my girlfriend a Raspberry Pi for Christmas instead. I know that the Pi can do far more than the NES Classic, but I'm pretty sure she wanted one for the nostalgia factor.

Nintendo's supply chain management is a shit show and in the long run it's almost certainly costing them sales.

Chucker

This absolute disaster of a launch seriously has me considering just buying my girlfriend a Raspberry Pi for Christmas instead. I know that the Pi can do far more than the NES Classic, but I'm pretty sure she wanted one for the nostalgia factor.

Nintendo's supply chain management is a shit show and in the long run it's almost certainly costing them sales.

Do it. Spend a few hours scraping everything and making it look pretty and it's a fun little box.

I love mine, still want a NES Classic though.

Big Chungus

hmm i still have my nes, when i hooked it up to my hdtv it looked like crap

is there anything i can buy to make it look better like a hdmi adapter?

Fuck it. I wanted one when it was released but this is outrageous. Tried to find it on UO only to find it out of stock. Damn it, Nintendo, making me want to buy a $60 dedicated emulator when my desktop has a stellar emu library already.

I want one of these and I'm disappointed about the scalper situation, but I'm not mad or upset about it. It's just a toy at the end of the day. Some of you seem very bitter about it and frankly a $60 toy is not worth any stress or anger. In a month or two you'll probably be able to get one at a store or online. If it's for a gift, I understand but don't let the disappointment put hatred in your hearts.

ghibli99

I've given up. If I get one at some point, fine, but I've stopped actively caring. Only reason I do is when this thread gets bumped. LOL

GTI Guy

I want one of these and I'm disappointed about the scalper situation, but I'm not mad or upset about it. It's just a toy at the end of the day. Some of you seem very bitter about it and frankly a $60 toy is not worth any stress or anger. In a month or two you'll probably be able to get one at a store or online. If it's for a gift, I understand but don't let the disappointment put hatred in your hearts.

FMYuXfw.gif

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

I guess I will never be able to understand this stance. There is no way they are doing this "on purpose." They ridiculously underestimated demand for this product and are paying for it right now. This product is selling only a fraction of what it could be, and there is no way any sane company wants that. Nintendo has been doing this ever since they grossly overproduced Wii Us at launch, and we should expect something similar with the Switch. In fact, I am scared that I'll have to do what I did at Wii launch and wait 13+ hours out in the cold to pick one up day one.

Penguin

I completely get people's frustrations, at the same time I do like bragging that I've been able to secure 4 of them (for myself and various friends/family), but recognize having Nintendo World (1 and 3) also is cheating just a bit!

DMNBT

Neo Member
Man, here in Chile the NES Classic is plentiful and there's regular restocks on all shops I've seen (although it's the European one). I always see people buying it and shops have no trouble stocking it. What the hell is wrong with Nintendo that it can't ship some to the USA?

jmizzal

I guess I will never be able to understand this stance. There is no way they are doing this "on purpose." They ridiculously underestimated demand for this product and are paying for it right now. This product is selling only a fraction of what it could be, and there is no way any sane company wants that. Nintendo has been doing this ever since they grossly overproduced Wii Us at launch, and we should expect something similar with the Switch. In fact, I am scared that I'll have to do what I did at Wii launch and wait 13+ hours out in the cold to pick one up day one.

The thing about the Switch we will get plenty of time to preorder it, i'm sure they will be up for at least a day, but if you miss that it might be hard to get.

King Al B

Also do they not site them out, your the 2nd person to say your local walmart randomly had them lol

Walmart in Vestal NY, Sunday Evening approximately 5pm. They had a cardboard box behind the counter. There was a few still in the box when i asked.

Sephzilla

Man, here in Chile the NES Classic is plentiful and there's regular restocks on all shops I've seen (although it's the European one). I always see people buying it and shops have no trouble stocking it. What the hell is wrong with Nintendo that it can't ship some to the USA?

Maybe there's a higher demand in the US?

I still feel it's a deliberate shortage though.

In Australia they've got a batch for pre orderers but they're secretly going to sell non pre-orders (however many they get per store) as well. I say secretly because they've been told to not mass advertise it, with the idea of avoiding backlash from more disappointed customers.

jmizzal

holy crap. urban outfitters actually shipped mine. i'm in shock.

I wish I knew they were gonna tweet when it was up smh, I was on their instagram and refreshing the website

Walmart in Vestal NY, Sunday Evening approximately 5pm. They had a cardboard box behind the counter. There was a few still in the box when i asked.

Wow I need to start checking Walmart, my city has so many they might slip through also

I wonder why Walmart dont show up correctly on BrickSeek

This absolute disaster of a launch seriously has me considering just buying my girlfriend a Raspberry Pi for Christmas instead.

When the NES Classic was announced, my girlfriend showed interest, and I got her a Raspberry Pi. So glad I did. I was still going to buy a Classic, but now I probably won't. GG, Nintendo.

//ARCANUM

I wish I knew they were gonna tweet when it was up smh, I was on their instagram and refreshing the website

Wow I need to start checking Walmart, my city has so many they might slip through also

I wonder why Walmart dont show up correctly on BrickSeek

only way i got it was because last night before going to bed I followed them on twitter and set their notifications to alert me and I wore my apple watch. a lot of steps, but it worked out.

IbukiLordSA

Wife told me to come gome early from work cause she has a present for me, turned out to be one of these. My son loves excitebike:) the best.

Lgndryhr

My local targets got a restock this morning and sold out in minutes. They only got 3 or 4 versus my local Wal-Mart's got a decent amount and lasted until around lunch time. Curious if other stores in the area got restock too.

hmm i still have my nes, when i hooked it up to my hdtv it looked like crap

is there anything i can buy to make it look better like a hdmi adapter?

For the NES there is now the HiDefNES kit. Which you can get your NES modded with that will output 1080p over HDMI.

The kits are available at https://www.game-tech.us/ and they also reccommend installers over there.

Here's a video showing what its like https://youtu.be/TI60A3DpI6w

There is also the option of having your NES RGB modded and picking up an upscaler like the OSSC or Framemeister. That will be the more expensive route but they'll work with more than just the NES. The HiDefNES kit is obviously just an NES solution.

BFIB

I'm remote from work today and tomorrow. I have a Wal-Mart, Target, and 2 GameStops all within a 5-10 min drive, hoping I get lucky on lunch break.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
For the NES there is now the HiDefNES kit. Which you can get your NES modded with that will output 1080p over HDMI.

The kits are available at https://www.game-tech.us/ and they also reccommend installers over there.

Here's a video showing what its like https://youtu.be/TI60A3DpI6w

There is also the option of having your NES RGB modded and picking up an upscaler like the OSSC or Framemeister. That will be the more expensive route but they'll work with more than just the NES. The HiDefNES kit is obviously just an NES solution.

For what it's worth, for the cost of the HiDefNES kit and installation you may as well pick up a RetroUSB AVS because that'll at least give you more features for your money, unless you're really set on having that OG NES look.

Top Bottom