• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

FinKL

At Gamestop, the manager I talked to said they made less controllers than consoles according to his Nintendo rep. I just ended up buying a Wii classic controller. Seems plaves getting restocks are just getting the console.

That sucks, I'm in the same boat to get a 2nd official controller. Can't have the kids using different controllers!

With that in mind, I'm thinking at this rate, I'll probably get the iam8bit wireless adapter+NES bluetooth controller. Just need initial impressions that the input lag isn't bad (I imagine it won't be, but still doesn't hurt to wait a day)

Icefire1424

Added it to my Think Geek wishlist, thanks for the heads up.

...however, now I'm getting all paranoid when my phone alerts me that I have a new email.

NolbertoS

So anybody know if there's an app telling you when these are available at a Target, BB, Walmart or Toys R Us in the local area?? So far been to 3 Gamestops over the last 2 weeks and missed on sales by a couple of hours.

wiibomb

any gaffer from the Manhattan area knows if there is a store with one? I'll be traveling there in 2 weeks and may be some gaffer knows...

I will go to the World Store, but I don't know if they even have it now

Lgndryhr

My local walmart's got another restock this week. That's two weeks in a row they got a restock beginning of week with 30+ units.

Sephzilla

I ended up giving up and going the Raspberry Pi route instead. I'll grab an NES classic down the line for the novelty later down the line.

Penguin

any gaffer from the Manhattan area knows if there is a store with one? I'll be traveling there in 2 weeks and may be some gaffer knows...

I will go to the World Store, but I don't know if they even have it now

Well follow Nintendo NYC on Twitter usually announce when they'll have them in stock

ErbilT

I ended up giving up and going the Raspberry Pi route instead. I'll grab an NES classic down the line for the novelty later down the line.
Same here. I already have a Pi set up and I was able to preorder a Famicom Mini, so this can wait til after Christmas.

Tarps

I've been checking the Nintendo UK store every day this month. Today the NES Classic has disappeared completely, (it was out of stock until now)

wtf nintendo?

I had been holding out on finding FIVE of these for Groomsmen gifts. I'm still cracking up about what a joke the supply on these has been.

I must be a delusional dope.

Clockwork

I'm in line at a Targé right now. There's only two other people waiting.

I went this morning thinking I was in line, but there was a line before that line and those people were handed pieces of paper so they could sit in their car and not freeze.

I only figured this out when those people started getting back in line at 7:50 or so and explained what happened, also mentioning that they were going to make some mad cash on ebay.

*sigh*

Needless to say the people weren't joking and Target had them all stacked up at the return/customer service counter for the people with their pieces of paper.

I got to go home empty handed.

Boke1879

I had been holding out on finding FIVE of these for Groomsmen gifts. I'm still cracking up about what a joke the supply on these has been.

They need to always get shit for this. No way in hell this should still be a thing for a product like this. They should have had preorders open to help gauge interest and let anyone who wanted one get one.

120v

really does feel like nintendo ruined christmas. my dad would've been over the moon if he opened a present up to this

not the end of the world but if i end up not getting one holidays at home will be a bummer thinking "what if". now i know how all those parents felt with tickle me elmos, furbys ect

So I just got a call from my local Fry's and they said they have them in stock now, but then he said the price was raised to $99.99.

I thought he was nuts, but then I went and looked online.

http://frys.com/product/8988903?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

What the fuck is going on? I can't even price match it to the correct price because no one else has it in stock.

Well the MSRP is just that...a SUGGESTED retail price. Fry's thinks its worth $40 more than than the MSRP and given the demand, they aren't wrong

I guess, but I've just never seen that happen before. It's so bizarre.

Don't blame Fry's. Blame Nintendo.

They need to always get shit for this. No way in hell this should still be a thing for a product like this. They should have had preorders open to help gauge interest and let anyone who wanted one get one.

No preorders (in the US, at major retailers like Amazon) was bush league, at best. I refuse to believe that Nintendo is so dense that they mismanaged their one and only Christmas item of note. This was planned and is completely shitty to their consumers. These could have been mass produced and stocked to the gills at retailers, but they wanted to create a constrained supply to elevate the item to "must have" status on Christmas lists.

Sad thing is that it likely would have sold well either way.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So I just got a call from my local Fry's and they said they have them in stock now, but then he said the price was raised to $99.99.

What the fuck is going on? I can't even price match it to the correct price because no one else has it in stock.

Welcome to Sweden! The default price of this thing here is the equivalent of about $87 (800 SEK). Of course, it can't be found here either anyway, so whatever.

It's the extremely small trickle of these things that cracks me up. It's almost as if Nintendo planned to make the smallest output possible and has done nothing to produce at a greater rate, no matter the indicators.

MrNelson

Banned
I usually like Fry's but fuck that. I already own 2/3 of the games in one form or another. I could probably go get the rest of them and still come out under what they're asking for that.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's the extremely small trickle of these things that cracks me up. It's almost as if Nintendo planned to make the smallest output possible and has done nothing to produce at a greater rate, no matter the indicators.

The crazy thing is that it looks like Nintendo hardware in general has dried up at retail. Wii Us can be difficult to find and it's practically impossible to find anything in the 3DS line, be it XL or 2DS.

The crazy thing is that it looks like Nintendo hardware in general has dried up at retail. Wii Us can be difficult to find and it's practically impossible to find anything in the 3DS line, be it XL or 2DS.

@ the bolded, that's surprising.

considering how well Pokemon is selling I'm not surprised at the 3DS/2DS demand picking up

GTI Guy

Nintendo should tell Fry's to go fuck themselves for future restocks.

BFIB

The hope is that Nintendo has put all resources on the Switch launch units, but we all know Nintendo will play the scarcity game there too.

MrNelson

Banned
@ the bolded, that's surprising.

Not really.

I imagine retailers weren't exactly chomping at the bit to add more to their essentially immobile Wii U stock when Nintendo was telling them to put final orders in because production was about to end. This holiday probably saw a lot of stores clearing out stock that had been sitting around for several months, and why would they want to make sure they have more of a console that doesn't move when they know an new console is just around the corner?

At my local Walmart, you can't find any Nintendo hardware, and that has been the case since before Black Friday. As soon as they put anything from 2DS to WiiUs, they are all selling out within hours.

Has anybody heard from ThinkGeek yet? I know they stopped checking wish lists yesterday, but they didn't say how soon they would be sending out codes.

Has anybody heard from ThinkGeek yet? I know they stopped checking wish lists yesterday, but they didn't say how soon they would be sending out codes.

I think I fucked that up. I signed up for the wishlist a couple days ago, but last night I remembered I opted out of getting their email spam, just out of habit. So I rushed back to the website to opt back in. I think you have to endure their spam to have a chance at getting a code.

I opted out of getting their email spam, just out of habit. So I rushed back to the website to opt back in. I think you have to endure their spam to have a chance at getting a code.

I remember thinking when I got to that step in the process of creating an account that opting out of their spam might mean I never get the notification. If that's true, so be it. There ought to be a difference between general sales adverts and legit customer communication. If it's one and the same with them, then fuck 'em.

According to ThinkGeek's Twitter, they've been sending out emails at 10 a.m. Eastern on Monday and Tuesday.

Looks like they are still doing two more daily drawings for the lottery, and you can still add the NES to your wishlist to enter.

ThinkGeek said:
Emails are out for today's #NESClassic lottery! Didn't win? We're drawing batch 3 tomorrow at 10 AM EST - GLHF!

jmizzal

According to ThinkGeek's Twitter, they've been sending out emails at 10 a.m. Eastern on Monday and Tuesday.

Looks like they are still doing two more daily drawings for the lottery, and you can still add the NES to your wishlist to enter.

oh cool I still have a chance lol

hayejin

I was at Target just now buying some groceries and was browsing electronics section.

Overheard some guy asking the customer service if they have NES and she said they get new shipment every day but that he'd have to wait in line at 4 AM if he wants any chance at getting one(or to be told they don't have any shipment coming in ) everyday.

So I guess don't put too much faith in any of the stock checking sites, I checked a couple that both said my local Target had 6 in stock so I rushed over and they were sold out. Just for laughs I checked the sites again when I got home they both still said there were 6 in stock. Nintendo is fucking up with this artificial scarcity nonsense, I want one now because it's the holidays and it seems like a cool thing to play with my family. I don't have the ability to just go stand outside of stores for hours hoping to get one, and by the time it's widely available enough to where I can just walk in and buy one I probably won't give a shit anymore. I'll just spend my money on the Steam winter sale instead.

Top Bottom