• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

DeathPeak

So I guess don't put too much faith in any of the stock checking sites, I checked a couple that both said my local Target had 6 in stock so I rushed over and they were sold out. Just for laughs I checked the sites again when I got home they both still said there were 6 in stock. Nintendo is fucking up with this artificial scarcity nonsense, I want one now because it's the holidays and it seems like a cool thing to play with my family. I don't have the ability to just go stand outside of stores for hours hoping to get one, and by the time it's widely available enough to where I can just walk in and buy one I probably won't give a shit anymore. I'll just spend my money on the Steam winter sale instead.

The site usually updates every 30-40 minutes. You might have viewed in within the 30 minutes of them having been sold.

I'm not waiting overnight, if they dont have enough stock for me waiting about 2 hours then i'm just gonna get it later lol

Same. I'll show up an hour early or so but if they don't have enough then whatever. I'm not spending my life waiting for this thing to ship in volume.

I will say this though - if Nintendo's aim was really to have such low stock that they would get all over the news with the NES Classic Edition, then they weren't wrong. Those dopey news sites have had several articles about the scarcity of these things for weeks now. As much as I would have enjoyed reading about the NES Classic on various websites (even mainstream news sites) since most of the articles only exist to highlight how difficult it is to find these, I find myself getting more pissed off at the very existence of these articles to begin with.

That is, had Nintendo forecasted demand for this properly then scarcity would never have been a thing and the worthless "news" sites feed right into Nintendo's plan (if that is their plan) thus legitimizing the whole fucking planned scarcity and helping Nintendo to want to intentionally have scarcity for future products. Fucking news sites...

EDIT: Assuming of course that Nintendo did all of this intentionally to just get into the news.

ehh I would only believe the manufactured hype angle if they were going to unload a million units this week before Christmas. The fact that most shoppers have still not even seen one of these things in the wild just means that Nintendo missed an opportunity.

GTI Guy

I know for me I've completely lost interest. I'll eventually get one but I'm not in a rush. What a screw up by Nintendo.

I'm about there. I think if I don't get one this week either by luck or via offer from thinkgeek I'm going to build my own emulator box as a screw you to Nintendo.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I know for me I've completely lost interest. I'll eventually get one but I'm not in a rush. What a screw up by Nintendo.

This is me too. I was so excited for this when it got announced. Just fucking sucks why couldn't they do pre-orders for it.

Getting the switch is gonna be a bitch to get if they pull this shit with that.

I understand it from the business side but my side it sucks.

Alcibiades

Nintendo could have quadrupled initial shipments and it would still be sold out and going for $200 on ebay.

There comes a point at which lowballing supply doesn't make sense.

Instro

ehh I would only believe the manufactured hype angle if they were going to unload a million units this week before Christmas. The fact that most shoppers have still not even seen one of these things in the wild just means that Nintendo missed an opportunity.

Yeah, no stock for xmas is a huge blunder.

Alcibiades

I actually wish more stores would decide to mark this up or do forced bundling this.

1) It would discourage scalping somewhat because a $50-$100 profit is less appealing than a $200 profit.

2) Less scalpers going for it means more opportunity for people that really want it.

3) It would be cheaper to get it marked up at $100 or a forced bundle of $130 than $200+ on ebay.

MrNelson

Banned
I actually wish more stores would decide to mark this up or do forced bundling this.

1) It would discourage scalping somewhat because a $50-$100 profit is less appealing than a $200 profit.

2) Less scalpers going for it means more opportunity for people that really want it.

3) It would be cheaper to get it marked up at $100 or a forced bundle of $130 than $200+ on ebay.
Fry's did it, but of course it backfires if anyone else can manage to have stock long enough for someone to go back with their receipt and have them refund the difference, or if they revert the price back down before the return period is up.

Still don't get how Nintendo couldn't make enough of these. The fever for a often delayed Retron 5 had a ton of interest. Considering how close this is to the Switch launch and poor Wii U sales, you'd think they'd be ready for this demand.

Weevilone

This is me too. I was so excited for this when it got announced. Just fucking sucks why couldn't they do pre-orders for it.

Getting the switch is gonna be a bitch to get if they pull this shit with that.

I understand it from the business side but my side it sucks.

I don't even understand from the business side. Once Christmas passes, there are a lot of casual gamers that won't have any interest in this. It would have made a perfect gift and it would have been great fun over the holidays. I think there are a bunch of people that won't care after the holiday novelty.

Just wanted to say that back in early November fellow Gaffer and icon Wario64 posted on his twitter account that Dell was taking pre-orders for the NES Classic Edition (scheduled to ship in December). I just received my shipping confirmation from Dell!

I'm honestly shocked that Dell was able to come through and before Christmas to boot. Big thanks again to Wario and if you pre-ordered from Dell keep an eye on them e-mails. :3

I don't even understand from the business side. Once Christmas passes, there are a lot of casual gamers that won't have any interest in this. It would have made a perfect gift and it would have been great fun over the holidays. I think there are a bunch of people that won't care after the holiday novelty.

This is why I find the whole "artificial scarcity" argument to be flat out untrue.

This is why I find the whole "artificial scarcity" argument to be flat out untrue.

Yep. I think it was a "let's get people to remember the Nintendo they grew up enjoying" but after the Wii U bomb they were probably like "but probably not a lot of people care so let's be conservative with manufacturing" since it's really just a christmas gift type thing. Didn't want a ton on the store shelves after the new year. I don't know. I mean who knows haha.

120v

Stores in Houston seen to be getting a minimum of 17 with some stores getting a bit more.

any stores in particular? walmart hasn't been getting any more. few Targets are but no more than about 5 or so, based on what i've seen past couple of days

If you order from Prime Now in a nearby city (for me it'd be Manhattan) is there like a designated locker/parcel service I can use or I guess hold it in a post office?

jmizzal

ugh I need somebody from Orlando address I live in Jacksonville :(

If somebody can do it for me i'll pay for shipping and throw in something for you

Feeroper

I will say this though - if Nintendo's aim was really to have such low stock that they would get all over the news with the NES Classic Edition, then they weren't wrong. Those dopey news sites have had several articles about the scarcity of these things for weeks now. As much as I would have enjoyed reading about the NES Classic on various websites (even mainstream news sites) since most of the articles only exist to highlight how difficult it is to find these, I find myself getting more pissed off at the very existence of these articles to begin with.

That is, had Nintendo forecasted demand for this properly then scarcity would never have been a thing and the worthless "news" sites feed right into Nintendo's plan (if that is their plan) thus legitimizing the whole fucking planned scarcity and helping Nintendo to want to intentionally have scarcity for future products. Fucking news sites...

EDIT: Assuming of course that Nintendo did all of this intentionally to just get into the news.

Yeah I do think this is the case. I mean, look at all the media they are doing for the switch right now, and for Mario Run. Sure they are going to want to promote their stuff but I don't think it is any coincidence that it's all happening at once with the news that the hot new Nintendo thing is sold out all over because everyone wants it for xmas. They have done this type of thing before, they know what they are doing.

oo7

Thank you BASED PRIME NOW.

Got one being delivered to me in Raleigh between 10 and 12. It took a tip out, do I still need to leave an additional tip to the driver? Never used Prime Now before.

Top Bottom