• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

A month ago, I spent a great deal of time arguing that the shortage was just due to Nintendo's incompetent logistics. But now, I'm leaning on the side of this being a deliberate trickling out of consoles, to nobody but the scalpers' benefits. I mean, ok, make the argument( which I never bought) that they underestimated demand. Ok, not expending the energy to argue either way. But now? Nintendo hasn't been able to mass produce enough of these $60 units with off the shelf parts to flood the market a week before Xmas? What a colossal fuck-up this has been.

My issue with the "this is intentional" argument is that I just don't see how this benefits them. I'm not purporting to speak for everyone else. I get that demand for this may carry over after the holidays. But I know that I've personally gotten to the point where I just don't care anymore. Like if I see one I'll probably still grab it before Christmas, but I'm not paying exorbitant markup (that wouldn't benefit Nintendo anyway) and I'm done checking nowinstock and brickseek hoping to get a hint. In fact, I got bored of that a couple of weeks ago.

I saw the "shortage in intentional!" logic as plausible but not altogether likely at launch when Nintendo promised adequate resupplies. Create a sense of urgency for when the real shipments start trickling in. OK. I can see that. But given that these things are still near impossible to find 10 days before Christmas I just don't understand why it would behoove them not to ship as many units as they can sell during the busiest shopping season of the year. So I'm still just on board with the idea that they planned this badly.

My issue with the "this is intentional" argument is that I just don't see how this benefits them. I'm not purporting to speak for everyone else. I get that demand for this may carry over after the holidays. But I know that I've personally gotten to the point where I just don't care anymore. Like if I see one I'll probably still grab it before Christmas, but I'm not paying exorbitant markup (that wouldn't benefit Nintendo anyway) and I'm done checking nowinstock and brickseek hoping to get a hint. In fact, I got bored of that a couple of weeks ago.

I saw the "shortage in intentional!" logic as plausible but not altogether likely at launch when Nintendo promised adequate resupplies. Create a sense of urgency for when the real shipments start trickling in. OK. I can see that. But given that these things are still near impossible to find 10 days before Christmas I just don't understand why it would behoove them not to ship as many units as they can sell during the busiest shopping season of the year. So I'm still just on board with the idea that they planned this badly.

I agree, it doesn't benefit them, which is why I wasn't making the argument in prior weeks that it's an intentional shortage. For them to benefit, they'd need to be releasing them in subsequent batches at increased prices to capatalize on demand. All they're doing right now is breeding a scalper's paradise and disappointing alot of families who legitimately want one for Xmas and/or have to shell out 4 times the MSRP to someone with zero interest in the product beyond making $$$$$ on it. I frankly don't want one anymore, Ive lost interest and I refuse to pay one cent above MSRP for what is ultimately a product that plays old NES games that I can download on my Note 4 in seconds.

Hell, it's not even just the Mini. This was Nintendo's last big holiday season to sell 3ds before Switch launches, and those things have been like unicorns in the wild too, especially the $99 BF special. I've never seen a company make it this hard for you to give them their fucking money. Shit, I was planning on buying 4 of these, 1 for me, 1 for my son, and 1 for my two best friends. But now? Fuck it. I hope they don't do this shit with the Switch.

I don't know what it is, but Nintendo needs to get shit for this and stop it. It could be incompetent logistics, but come on. This is why you hold preorders at major retailers for this stuff. If it's manufactured Nintendo can go fuck themselves because that's just shitty. That benefits no one but the scalpers and stores trying to up the price on this thing.

Agreed, if it was an 'innocent' case of miscalculating demand this is why you allow preorders at every major retailer. You have sweet fuck all to sell other than 3ds as Wii U demand is dead in the water. A $60 retro machine which must be cheap as hell to produce with crazy margins and they pull this shit? Not happy with Nintendo right now, amazingly it hasn't dulled my hype for Switch but fuck, get it together Nintendo. You been doing the hardware business for 30 years now, it's not your first day on the job.

Nintendo does deserve plenty of shit for not taking preorders but I'm not convinced the shortage is intentional. There are several things to keep in mind:

1. It takes longer than a couple months to have more manufactured or change the manufacturing numbers and actually get them to stores.

2. Based on the historical demand for similar devices from Sega and Atari, why would Nintendo expect demand here to be 100x that?

3. The scalper market on this thing is HUGE. They are everywhere. eBay, Craigslist, Facebook, the fucking classifieds. I seriously wonder if it would even be hard for actual customers to get one if there weren't a bunch of scalpers hoarding the damn things. Yes, Nintendo could have produced enough to flood the market and make scalping pointless but they would have to OVER produce and risk making less money in order to do that. So given that they are a very conservative company, and point #2 above, why take a giant risk to order tons of them 6 months ago?

So yeah, I blame them for the lack of preorders. But the only way the manufactured scarcity makes sense is if they flood the stores with product in the last two weeks to make sure all the pent-up demand is satisfied. They know that demand will nose-dive after Christmas, even if it remains healthy, so they'll make sure that most everyone is able to get one in the next 10 days. If that happens, then yeah, it was probably a scheme. And a well-executed one at that. But we'll see.

crpav

my dude this is a mere preview of the Switch launch

Look all they need to do, and all retailers do, is open up pre-orders for a long enough time for many to take advantage of. If you miss a 2 week to a month window then it's on you. A day or so long window is not acceptable.

But then on the other side I must at least understand that only so many can be produced to be ready on a locked in launch date.

Yeah. I mean, nothing is impossible with this company. But with the Switch, it's going to be their new flagship product. Barring the potential of legitimate supply constraints that can happen when launching a brand new product, there's no reason for them to limit supply. You're launching in March, not the holiday season. So there's not anything happening around you to drive up demand for such a product. While I'm looking forward to it, I'm not expecting it to be an explosive blue ocean product. Given this, I don't really know why supply would be hard to come by for this.

KaYotiX

Banned
Still baffles me year after year and new item after new item Nintendo has the same problems.....

The longer this goes on the more I don't care about the NES Classic anymore. My hype is kinda dying for it.

Feeroper

In my opinion, I do believe this is intentional. I don't think they care how many of these things they really sell, I don't think that is priority to them. I believe they want to ensure it is sold out at stores as there was a lot of buzz when it was announced. I think they are using this as a way to build up value in the Nintendo brand to the general public (importantly I'm talking about the non-hardcore gamers who post in forums). They want the "it" Xmas gift, and suddenly the local news is doing reports about how this is the hot item. Then, using forums like Late night with Jimmy Fallon, they go out to talk about the switch and of course Super Mario Run that is also coming out. Its a big time brand value thing. I think the goal is people will be more excited and interested in the Switch when it launches early next year. Hardcore gamers are already excited either way, but they want to branch out to get a wider audience.

I'm sure in the new year we will see more NES classics come out, as they know they can make some coin from this and its almost certainly cheap as hell to produce, plus its not like this is some advanced new tech that takes time to produce. However, I don't think they ever aimed to sell boatloads of these things, they knew it would sell like crazy, but they just wanted to give a taste to make their name more enticing for their future plans.

I see whenever this comes up there are a lot of people who don't believe in the manufactured scarcity thing, and that is fine of course, but in my opinion there is no question about it, especially when you see how they have done this kind of thing in the past. I don't think that the fact that the Wii U sold poorly and remained on shelves made them hesitant to release enough stock that allows big box retailers like Best Buy only 20 units or so for "launch" day. Even a conservative approach would have seen more stock than that from a company the size of Nintendo and the low tech/low cost nature of the NES classic.

I've been a huge Nintendo fan since the NES originally launched in NA in the 80's and have purchased every system and major game release they have put out since then, but this for some reason, has really put a sour taste in my mouth. I think its because of how blatent it is. In the end its just business, and of course its not like anyone consumer is "entitled" to it, but that doesn't change the fact that I feel like they left me out in the cold.

Where this gets silly is the lack of reaction by Nintendo. People want this thing and they barely care. What is their official response to demand? We'll double our efforts?

Haven't seen that. Maybe it's never mentioned in all the NES Classic articles I'm reading.

2. Based on the historical demand for similar devices from Sega and Atari, why would Nintendo expect demand here to be 100x that?

Nintendo should be acutely aware that they sit on the most prized catalog of classic IPs in gaming. Nobody is going to give a damn about trying to play halo/gears of war/uncharted 1 on some cheap emulation device in 20 years time. But a retro machine stock full of classic titles in the shell of one of gaming's most iconic console designs? Did they completely tune out all reaction, the buzz, the frenzy the mini announcement whipped up in July? And yes, preorders needs to be referenced for the 1001st time. They don't have much leg to stand on in terms of our empathy for not figuring this out, when they have an obvious and time-tested method of gauging market demand months before launch. That does a lot of the legwork for you without having to play guessing games.

I mean, if this shit happens down the line for a potential snes MINI, what's the excuse then? Underestimated demand? How long before that runs dry?

incompetent logistics is my trigger word. Lol you guys aCT like this shit is easy.

3Ds has been hard to find to just walk into a store and pick-up too. What, they didn't know what the demand would be for a $99 new3ds, or having enough product for those who may want a system to play their flagship holiday title, Pokemon? For fuck sakes, we're not talking the cure for cancer here. Anyone who wanted a playstation or xbox console this holiday can easily obtain one. NES mini? 3ds? Indy had less trouble finding the lost ark.

3Ds has been hard to find to just walk into a store and pick-up too. What, they didn't know what the demand would be for a $99 new3ds, or having enough product for those who may want a system to play their flagship holiday title, Pokemon?

But if it's INTENTIONAL shorting and not just conservative incompetence, what's the goal there? Nobody's arguing that Nintendo doesn't drop the ball and underestimate demand, but I'm trying to see motivation for the nefarious scheme that some are convinced they are up to. If it's just to build buzz, the NES Classic is taking care of that. Almost nobody's talking about the 3DS shortage. Could they just be clearing stock prior to Switch?

But if it's INTENTIONAL shorting and not just conservative incompetence, what's the goal there? Nobody's arguing that Nintendo doesn't drop the ball and underestimate demand, but I'm trying to see motivation for the nefarious scheme that some are convinced they are up to. If it's just to build buzz, the NES Classic is taking care of that. Almost nobody's talking about the 3DS shortage. Could they just be clearing stock prior to Switch?

To be clear, as I said earlier, I spent the better part of last month arguing that it wasn't intentional. It's only now, a week before xmas, where I'm simply asking 'ok, just what the fuck was Nintendo trying to do here?'

Frankly, I think Nintendo is doing a great job marketing the Switch with drip-drops of info on its own merits. Nothing about their handling of the Mini is hyping me to buy a Switch moreso than the hype generated by what has been so revealed so far. If anything, I'm praying they don't fuck up that launch. These two machines serve two completely different purposes, and I don't see how pissing off swarms of people who want a mini is going to drive them to the switch. The casuals who liked the classic NES design who don't utilize the myriad of ways the hardcore can access these games(OG carts, emulators, VC), and simply want these for nostalgia purposes.... I don't see this shortage driving them to switch. So if this is a buzz-generating strategy, my sincere question is to generate buzz for who? I figure those who want the Switch aren't impacted by what's going on with the Mini.

I'm no marketing guru, mind you....

MrBlonde

Nintendo straight sucks!! I wanted one of these Classics under the tree from Santa for my 5yr old son and I. No where to be found and wont be happening, I had all I could do to find a 2DS and that was a huge struggle, made the dude at Target go out back and unpack boxes to find 1 of the 2 they got in since they gave me the run around when I called twice earlier in the day since the site said it was in stock.

Syril

The only plausible thing I've heard is the idea of people at NoA getting bonuses for having a product be sold out all the time.

It is an OG NES controller, but that's what the adapter is for.

Ya, I realized that after I posted but it was too late to delete it. That's a pretty good suggestion. I'm in a weird situation where I want to be able to use the NES Classic Controller on an original NES, but too bad that adapter doesn't exist.

It's pretty obvious Nintendo is intentionally under-shipping to the US. They've proven competent in shipping millions of units when they need ... to only ship ~200k units when demand was obvious has to be intentional, not incompetence.

They have a new system coming out in a few months.

Instead of running ads for their system like Sony and Microsoft, they're getting a hell of a lot of unpaid brand publicity and news stories into the general public with "Nintendo" and "frenzy" in the headline thanks to the NES Classic.

Doesn't even matter that it's not about the new system.

Doesn't matter that the gaming press is casting them in a negative light ... the general public doesn't follow gaming press.

Nintendo is getting their name out there effectively for free.

They have to figure the extra earned media exposure of getting the Nintendo brand back into the public sphere is more valuable than whatever profit they're losing in the short term.

They're probably right.

So I guess the stock tracking sites are worthless to me now, they've said my local Target has 6 in stock for a few days now even though they're completely sold out. Either there's a bug in the system somewhere or there's a box of 6 NES Classics sitting in the back room of Target that everyone forgot about.

Laws00

anyone knows if there are extra controllers available out there? haven't heard of one since launch

same

i havent been looking and thought they would have decent stock around this time. Thats why I turned down pre ordering one from gamestop

Sulik2

If I was on the board at Nintendo I would be asking for the head of whoever was in charge of manufacturing this. Nintendo is just leaving money on the table. They knew they needed to make more of these just based on their retailer orders. Let alone the stupidity of not doing preorders. Sheer incompetence on display.

If I was on the board at Nintendo I would be asking for the head of whoever was in charge of manufacturing this. Nintendo is just leaving money on the table. They knew they needed to make more of these just based on their retailer orders. Let alone the stupidity of not doing preorders. Sheer incompetence on display.

I wonder if there is a manufacturing problem that we don't know about. The total lack of controllers seems baffling.

Nintendo's stock planners used to work on the polling model for Hillary Clinton's campaign.

Only plausible explanation.

raw

yeah because they sold them yesterday even though they originally said they were holding them for today.

there was an email on that instructed employees to hold everything they got in this week for a 'street date' of Friday. then, yesterday morning, they magically said "hey nevermind! sell them right now".

so this really nice guy that comes to my store every day looking for these, i explain to him on Wednesday that he doesn't even need to check tomorrow, because it's gonna be first come first served Friday morning. told him that on Wednesday, even though i don't think i was supposed to. i was trying to be a good person, he really wants one of these things!

so i have yesterday off.. but i came online to see a picture of ANOTHER email, the one from yesterday morning that said sell them anyway!

so now i look like a complete douchebag telling this guy that the one day he for sure COULDN'T get one would have been his only shot at one this week. ugh it's so frustrating. i was trying to help the guy. don't post this in the thread please.

UK had some stock on the Nintendo store about an hour or so ago. Naturally, I was out at the time so missed the stock tracker email and they're all gone now.

All three of them, I presume.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Even if this was the result of bad planning, any other company of their size and experience would've replenished stock tenfold by now.

The mini NES is something they're willing to remain elusive to consumers. The more it remains hard to find, the more consumers want it. The more Nintendo rebuilds its lost mindshare among consumers.
For Nintendo that's more beneficial then selling one million mini Nintendos that'll likely collect dust after the honeymoon is over. Keeping the Nintendo brand fresh in the minds of consumers leading up to the launch of their new Switch console.

Even if this was the result of bad planning, any other company of their size and experience would've replenished stock tenfold by now.

The mini NES is something they're willing to remain elusive to consumers. The more it remains hard to find, the more consumers want it. The more Nintendo rebuilds its lost mindshare among consumers.
For Nintendo that's more beneficial then selling one million mini Nintendos that'll likely collect dust after the honeymoon is over. Keeping the Nintendo brand fresh in the minds of consumers leading up to the launch of their new Switch console.

The problem is, they now have a reputation for this bullshit. The Wii, Amiibos, NES Minis..

This isn't making me remember Nintendo and get excited for the Switch. It's making me expect yet more bullshit like this when the Switch launches, or when they make a SNES or Gameboy mini.

wiibomb

I bought a used NES controller for $15 on Gamestop.com and an adapter on Amazon or $10

Controller:
http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/nintendo-nes-controller/122900

Adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3LNI3Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

More than the $10 controller that's out of stock, but it was the next best option to me.

I mean the classic one, I already have 2 of the original controllers, but I wanted to have another little one from this release for my collection, I suppose there are none out there

Ripenen

How quickly do you think Nintendo can produce and distribute these things? How much inventory space do you think stores are willing to allocate during the holiday season? This stuff is planned well in advance, and it's not just Nintendo. They have to negotiate shelf space with all the retailers, and it's up to the retailers to order how many they think will sell through. It's much better to under-produce than to over-produce.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
I'm freezing my ass outside Nintendo NYC since they announced a restock. Apparently they have been keeping track of people buying during restocks. Have to buy with valid ID and a credit/debit card. In addition, you couldn't have purchased during the last two restocks.

Penguin

I'm freezing my ass outside Nintendo NYC since they announced a restock. Apparently they have been keeping track of people buying during restocks. Have to buy with valid ID and a credit/debit card. In addition, you couldn't have purchased during the last two restocks.

Ahh

Explains it

Seen folks complain on the line for being booted or whatever

Glad they are keeping track.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

The way I see it there are two likely reasons for the shortage.

1. They just vastly underestimated demand and haven't been able to ramp it up as their manufacturing partners shifted to making 3DSs for the holidays and getttjg. Ready for Switch production.

2. They don't care as they don't want to sell a ton of these as they'd rather people buy the games for $5 a pop or whatever on the VC on their existing hardware now or Switch later.

Top Bottom