• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

Went to a "retro" barcade place a couple weeks ago, and was shocked and really happy when they led us to our table. Our table had its own TV, with an NES Classic hooked up to it, and two controllers. It was the first time I'd ever actually seen one of these.

Now I think I might be getting my own soon. I am worried about cable length. I knew they were short but man, really short! So what is the best method? I have a bunch of Wii controllers (including the Wii classic controller) but I'm unsure how/if they work with this?

And if I want to use the controller that comes with the NES Classic, what's my best bet - a controller extension cord, or a really long HDMI cable instead?

gweemz

Went to a "retro" barcade place a couple weeks ago, and was shocked and really happy when they led us to our table. Our table had its own TV, with an NES Classic hooked up to it, and two controllers. It was the first time I'd ever actually seen one of these.

Now I think I might be getting my own soon. I am worried about cable length. I knew they were short but man, really short! So what is the best method? I have a bunch of Wii controllers (including the Wii classic controller) but I'm unsure how/if they work with this?

And if I want to use the controller that comes with the NES Classic, what's my best bet - a controller extension cord, or a really long HDMI cable instead?

Depends on if you want to keep getting up to reset the console or not. I ended up getting both because the classic controller cable is so short I couldn't even have it on my coffee table while sitting on the couch.

ColdPizza

Banned

I bought this 10ft extender cable off of Amazon, does the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3XBW4K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Halsfluss

Neo Member
I just received an order update from Swedish reseller Dustin saying Nintendo is ending production of the NES Classic and it's
uncertain whether I'll get one or not.

cbrun44

Just did an Amazon Now order here in Seattle. Just looked on a whim and the NES Classic is in stock through Now if anyone is looking.

RedBoot

Got mine via PrimeNow the other day. Now begins the search for a second controller! I'm not optimistic.

I wonder why they would discontinue it when it's selling faster than they can produce them.

This is the same company that waffled on making more Marth/Villager/WFT amiibos when they sold the entire stock on Day 1 and ended up taking about a year to ship them out anyway. Nothing would surprise me.

Joei

Got mine via PrimeNow the other day. Now begins the search for a second controller! I'm not optimistic.

This is the same company that waffled on making more Marth/Villager/WFT amiibos when they sold the entire stock on Day 1 and ended up taking about a year to ship them out anyway. Nothing would surprise me.

With the Amiibo, my thought is the way those are manufactured. With this, however, I don't know. They're still being very conservative with production, but I have to think more are getting out there since eBay/Amazon reseller prices are dropping. They were consistently in the 200s after release and now they're 125$. I'm still not gonna pay more than 60$ for one though.

Flew into Jacksonville NC today and visited a Walmart there to get some groceries and such to hold me over while in the area. Figured I'd swing by electronics to see what movies were on the cheap.

Turns out they happened to have a NES unit still in the cabinet! Still can hardly believe it, but finally I have one. Now to make sure it survives the flights back.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Flew into Jacksonville NC today and visited a Walmart there to get some groceries and such to hold me over while in the area. Figured I'd swing by electronics to see what movies were on the cheap.

Turns out they happened to have a NES unit still in the cabinet! Still can hardly believe it, but finally I have one. Now to make sure it survives the flights back.

AWESOME. I would carry that sucker on the plane.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just ship it to your home.

Good idea. Ship it the day before you leave so it's not sitting in your doorstep.

Nah, if I really felt paranoid I would unbox it and stuff it in my carryon. It would suck to not have the bix though, it looks so cool.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm surprised to see the frame rate slow down on Zelda just like it did back then when there are a lot of enemies on the screen. Shouldn't it run smoothly on newer hardware?

Arkage

Banned
Thanks for the info, NES Classic should be arriving today or tomorrow.

One more question, anyone tried any modded NES games? There are a few baseball games (RBI, Baseball Stars specifically) out there with modded rosters/teams from year's past that I'd like to add.

I tried a translation patch of FF3 and didn't load. Tried a different one and it did. You'll just have to boot it up to see if it works.

I got mine from Amazon France yesterday and now I understand the "sold separately in Europe" in the thread title... No AC adapter included in Europe, seriously Nintendo? As if the uglier box and no poster wasn't hurtful enough :(

I think I might sell this and try to get a US one.

kyoya

Anyone have any luck finding NES Classic Edition controllers sold separately or are those just as hard to find?

I got mine from Amazon France yesterday and now I understand the "sold separately in Europe" in the thread title... No AC adapter included in Europe, seriously Nintendo? As if the uglier box and no poster wasn't hurtful enough :(

I think I might sell this and try to get a US one.

You don't have a USB port nearby? I've had mine plugged in to my TV or my PS4 to run it. It's actually nice not needing to have another free power socket.

You don't have a USB port nearby? I've had mine plugged in to my TV or my PS4 to run it. It's actually nice not needing to have another free power socket.

I was going to use this on my PC monitor which does have USB ports, but I'm kinda short on USB chargers for my other devices and to me the presumably included adapter with the Mini made it a better deal since I thought I was getting an adapter I can use for something else with it :p

I really prefer the American box too. And $60 is a lot cheaper than €70. Europe got the worst deal on everything.

Anyone have any luck finding NES Classic Edition controllers sold separately or are those just as hard to find?

Have had more luck finding NES Classic's than the controllers. Been waiting since December for a restock anywhere, physical or online, and haven't had any luck with the exception $40 ones being sold on eBay. Finally just went and got a generic one with an extra extension cable from Amazon.

Kevin

Any where to get an extra NES Classic controller that doesn't suck? Bought this controller:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBHXOPK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and the D-Pad barely works. Like I can barely move the characters around unless I push down hard on the D-Pad button.

Since Nintendo's own controllers have vanished, is there any other controllers that work like a real NES controller or anywhere to get an actual controller from Nintendo that isn't priced super high?

Anyone know if the Canadian box looks exactly the same as the US one? Any funny French business or age rating icons? Sorry for being anal about this, but I hated how 3DS game cases from Canada looked compared to US... I'm asking to decide whether I should setup a stock alerts for Canadian retailers or stick with US only. I want the perfect box with minimal icons/stickers/languages.

Anyone know if the Canadian box looks exactly the same as the US one? Any funny French business or age rating icons? Sorry for being anal about this, but I hated how 3DS game cases from Canada looked compared to US... I'm asking to decide whether I should setup a stock alerts for Canadian retailers or stick with US only. I want the perfect box with minimal icons/stickers/languages.

Should be the same considering the US box already has French/Spanish on it. I think only 3DS cases are different, except amiibo bundles, where it's the multi-language version in US as well.

bumpkin

Finally found a fully stocked Wal-Mart this morning. Some guy was buying all but one console . I bought the remaining one
How did they let the guy buy all but one? I'd be asking the manager for their district manager's number and putting in a complaint. Everyone knows how low the supply is and how much of a field day resellers are having with it.

Media Markt Spain has received a new batch last week. My brother managed to buy 2.

Also, just noticed this on the NES Mini website, was this branding used before? Why does it say "CLASSICS"? (plural)

img_6477.jpg

To me it could be either one of these:
1. A new product line, suggesting that they already planned a SNES Classic.
2. The new branding for the Virtual Console (Nintendo "Classics").
3. Or, you know, just nothing.

Sorry if this was discussed before, couldn't find it.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw this was discussed as early as July last year (for example, by Chris Kohler)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
How did they let the guy buy all but one? I'd be asking the manager for their district manager's number and putting in a complaint. Everyone knows how low the supply is and how much of a field day resellers are having with it.

Let those idiots buy all the stock.
And refuse them a refund.
When they cant flip em

hayejin

Let those idiots buy all the stock.
And refuse them a refund.
When they cant flip em

Wishful thinking but that's not the reality.

Even though price has died down on ebay, modded systems have raised the price back to original or even higher scalper price.

Went by Gamestop and asked if they were going to be getting any NES Classics this week and they said "No, we haven't received a shipment since mid December"

Brickseek is showing a 3% in stock rate at Target, which is as low as I've seen it.
I'm never getting one :(

Went by Gamestop and asked if they were going to be getting any NES Classics this week and they said "No, we haven't received a shipment since mid December"

Brickseek is showing a 3% in stock rate at Target, which is as low as I've seen it.
I'm never getting one :(

nowinstock.net is your friend.

Roarer

Maybe this deserves a new thread, but I'll start by posting here.

(source: I work at a large Scandinavian retailer)

We just got word from Nintendo (or rather, their Nordic distributor Bergsala) that the NES Classic Mini has reached its end of life and will be phased out. According to them production has ended and we will be receiving a few more shipments before everything dries up.

By our estimates, we (as a single retailer) might not be able to fulfill all orders that have been placed so far. Our last shipment should arrive in April or May, and after that there won't be any more shipments.

This all seems insane and I can't really understand what Nintendo is thinking.

MikeyB

We just got word from Nintendo (or rather, their Nordic distributor Bergsala) that the NES Classic Mini has reached its end of life and will be phased out. According to them production has ended and we will be receiving a few more shipments before everything dries up.

Well... damn. I have been a Nintendo fan up until the Wii U. I was getting sick of the lack of third party and zrehash of the same old IP. But now... now I'm through with them now.

Maybe this deserves a new thread, but I'll start by posting here.

(source: I work at a large Scandinavian retailer)

By our estimates, we (as a single retailer) might not be able to fulfill all orders that have been placed so far. Our last shipment should arrive in April or May, and after that there won't be any more shipments.

This all seems insane and I can't really understand what Nintendo is thinking.

Hmmm, that contradicts what Nintendo's CEO said in an interview linked/discussed some posts above. http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...oduction-apologizes-for-product-shortages.htm

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I think I can snag one off Craigslist for $100. I feel like thats my best bet at this point, and given the rareity $100 does seem pretty reasonable.

Or just wait around, and there are more which drives the price down... or there are less, which drives the price up? Lol who knows. I cant believe that people are selling them modded online for ~$200. Like WHO THE HELL is going to pay for that? I can't believe it. There can't possibly be anyone who would buy a NES Classic in the first place, who would seriously consider that a reasonable price. If you have enough knowledge of the actual NES classic itself, surely you now enough to mod the damn thing yourself?

I don't get it.

I think I can snag one off Craigslist for $100. I feel like thats my best bet at this point, and given the rareity $100 does seem pretty reasonable.

Or just wait around, and there are more which drives the price down... or there are less, which drives the price up? Lol who knows. I cant believe that people are selling them modded online for ~$200. Like WHO THE HELL is going to pay for that? I can't believe it. There can't possibly be anyone who would buy a NES Classic in the first place, who would seriously consider that a reasonable price. If you have enough knowledge of the actual NES classic itself, surely you now enough to mod the damn thing yourself?

I don't get it.

Whales. Like people who spend thousands of dollars on cosmetic in-game-transactions.

Finally snagged one at Walmart yesterday. For those not using it yet, Brickseek helped me a ton. Found a store near me that had 2 in stock. Called, they put one aside for me, and I drove over to pick it up.

Top Bottom