• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DOOM: Dark Ages Preview details from closed showcase

Draugoth

Gold Member
doom-dark.jpg
Discord user rabid dentist, as well as Lavaniel on Youtube, have transcribed a private gameplay showcase of Doom, The Dark Ages. They said they we relying on memories of a video they were only able to watch once. Therefore, it is likely there are some errors:

• There is currently no excerpt of the presentation on the web, as viewers were asked not to film it. This had already been done with DOOM (2016) at the time.
  • It was a pre-recorded video narrated by Hugo Martin, the studio's creative director.
  • This was an alpha version of the game, mixing scenes with snippets of raw gameplay.
  • The snippets shown were like extensions of the sequences shown in the announcement trailer.
  • It was made clear that the game areas are much more open than in previous games.
  • It was confirmed that there will be 3 melee weapons: a flail that allows you to collect ammunition, a mace and a fist that creates chains of electricity between enemies.
  • The saw shield allows you to transverse the map, but it can also be thrown against enemies and be recovered while it tears their flesh.
  • Green projectiles can be reflected back at enemies.
  • Verticality no longer plays an important role in the game. When the Doom Slayer jumps, it's similar to the mechanics of the power armor in Fallout 4 or Fallout 76.
  • The Glory Kill system has been completely reinvented. These are no longer programmed eliminations depending on the angle of attack. Now a small purple halo appears on the enemy, signifying that the player can execute it. Glory kills seem to be based on kicks and punches or any melee weapon, depending on the player's choice.
  • A new weapon has been shown, a type of double-barrel plasma gun. It's reminiscent of the plasma gun from the first DOOM, but with two barrels connected by a piece of metal. Both cannons fire at the same time.Another weapon was revealed, a single-barrel shotgun.
  • The nail gun shown in the first trailer, as well as the other weapons, interact perfectly with all the game's mechanics. For example, a wall was shown on which
  • everal enemies were nailed.
  • The Dragon and Altan (the big mech) can be played several times in the campaign.
  • Altan fights with his fists and a double cannon. He also has his own HUD. When he takes damage, pieces of his armor break off.
  • Altan can perform glory kills.
  • Never-before-seen enemies have been shown, while the existing ones have undergone some modifications: One of the new enemies is a strange octobrain that fired blue projectiles, and a new one is a big quadlegged cyberdemon. Arachnotrons are now more fleshy.
  • The HUD is reminiscent of DOOM Eternal.
  • No weapon or rune mods were shown.
  • The environmental narrative seems to play an important role in the game.
Source

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm excited about this as id's track record is damn near flawless....Quake 3 Arena is their only true miss IMO....but I can't help but worry that Microsoft will fuck it up somehow.

EDIT: it was a bit off base to call Q3A a miss. Rather it was a game that underwhelmed me. It just felt so empty compared to Unreal Tournament 1999.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I have bought both games but i didn't play any of the doom games.

I will download and start with 16 today. I am kinda bored from call of duty once I finished all the skins anyway.

Hudo

Can someone please ask the fuckers at Id why the hell they're refusing to make a new Quake? It's not that I don't appreciate what they're trying to do with Doom The Dark Ages. But they might as well could've gone full Quake 1 and make a new Quake with that vibe instead.
Are Id doomed to make Doom games ad infinitum?

Last edited:

Apocryphon

The game will basically be Ikaruga the FPS. Bullet hell where you can deflect the most damaging types of projectile, high volume of enemies, focus on dodging on the X axis. I don’t hate it. I expect it to feel similar to the classic games in some respects… but the mech and dragon worry me. I really don’t like the art direction and lore of Eternal and this looks like it will be more of the same.

winjer

Gold Member
Some points seem interesting.
I would love it, if someone was to leak this footage, so we could see if for ourselves.

Gojiira

Interested but some aspects sound truly bad, like no verticality…That really limits the potential for combat arenas, and the new glory kill system sounds awful if Im reading that right…Idk, I get the feeling this will be a step back from Eternal,still good but not a evolution.

Apocryphon

2016 was hardly anything like Eternal.
There was some jumping in 2016, but nothing like how it was in eternal.
There is very little difference in the movement mechanics and verticality of enemy encounters between Doom 2016 and the first 2 Quake games. Eternal leans heavier into Quake 3 Arena with jump pads and portals littering the combat arenas.

Last edited:
There is very little difference in the movement mechanics and verticality of enemy encounters between Doom 2016 and the first 2 Quake games. Eternal leans heavier into Quake 3 Arena with jump pads and portals littering the combat arenas.

Which works for multiplayer and everyone going berzerk. It doesnt work in single player and by now theres more than enough complaints on all the platforming. DOOM 2016 really was the sweetspot. Once I had to micromanage will I go for armour or kill this way to get ammo or whatever else and all those colors sprinkling up in the screen, the game became comical, not dark or demonic.

Beechos

Man if this is anything like the 1st 2 it'll give the arkham games a run for it's money as best trilogy of games.

Personally feel this team is one of the most underrated in gaming today. Both dooms were absolutely brilliant - even if you didn’t like eternal, it did something new and took risks - for me it was incredible, can’t wait to see what they do here

SHA

If it's better and look more advanced then why it's a prequel? there must be a plot hole, but non the less, the whole purpose for doing all that is for gameplay and I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Can someone please ask the fuckers at Id why the hell they're refusing to make a new Quake? It's not that I don't appreciate what they're trying to do with Doom The Dark Ages. But they might as well could've gone full Quake 1 and make a new Quake with that vibe instead.
Are Id doomed to make Doom games ad infinitum?
with the development of DOOM 2016 they had planned to make it a trilogy and Dark Ages should be the culmination of that effort also the reboot has been very popular so they didn't change plans, DOOM 3 to DOOM 4 took many years for fans

i guess with QUAKE they simply don't know what to do with the IP, there is no point making it like the first game again since DOOM the Dark Ages will have a similar atmosphere, and that whole thing was dropped with the sequels to make it stand out,gameplay wise the DOOM reboot took inspiration from that series

They could make a QUAKE reboot or a new ip, i assumed that was their next project after Eternal, i never expected to see a medieval prequel but i don't mind since it looks awesome 😁

j0hnnix

I kind of skipped Eternal (played a few hours) , but man i am excited for Dark ages.

This sounds bad ass:
Altan fights with his fists and a double cannon. He also has his own HUD. When he takes damage, pieces of his armor break off.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Loved both '16 and Eternal, specially the later struck me as one of the best FPS games I've ever played.

That said that game had some faults I hope this one manages to fix, like the stupid purple goo or how some maps were way too linear. Fuck your hallways, give me mazes or give me death.

It's cool tho that they want to make every nuDOOM game feel different than the previous one. I just hope the slower enemy bullets and lack of verticallity doesn't mean the game being easier than the last one. Loved the thrill of Eternal.

About the dragon and the mech tho... I'm not very excited about them.

Apocryphon

Which works for multiplayer and everyone going berzerk. It doesnt work in single player and by now theres more than enough complaints on all the platforming. DOOM 2016 really was the sweetspot. Once I had to micromanage will I go for armour or kill this way to get ammo or whatever else and all those colors sprinkling up in the screen, the game became comical, not dark or demonic.
I agree 100%.

Stafford

I don't know how I feel about much larger areas, is this really necessary at all? Plus the gameplay trailer showed that movement was slower than Eternal, hmmm.

The part about verticality makes me sad, I loved this in Eternal actually.

Shodai

I really hope they release mod tools when the game comes out. I have my doubts since they will probably release expansions and don't want modders to create better stuff than they can, but one can dream. That said, cool mods like CTF, etc, especially multi-player focused would do them wonders for retention and even visibility to audiences they may not capture, so I hope that is considered if anything is on the table.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

2016 was hardly anything like Eternal.
There was some jumping in 2016, but nothing like how it was in eternal.
Yep, and that’s why I liked Doom 2016 and didn’t enjoy Eternal. Well, plus Eternal decided we really needed that dumb story to go along and to do platforming in Doom.

Not my cup of tea and the new Doom sounds quite interesting.

fatmarco

Do I still have to play with an extremely specific, restrictive playstyle in order to progress the game?

Also is it actually a actual Doom game this time?

Last edited:
Top Bottom