• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if XsX could add some boost/variable clock profiles, in the future for devs to choose. Been enjoying the memes and fanboy rage.

I have both consoles so I’d hope the XsX can some day GET ITS BALLS BACK.

214711.jpg

Smartshift requires special silicone that Xbox series s doesn't have.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
nah, comparing turing vs rdna 1.0 tflops, they were pretty much on par.

the reason for the disparity was that nvidia used to undereport their clocks. that made the gap in performance much much worse. for example, for the rtx 2080, they said their base clock was 1515 mhz and boost was 1710+. they gave their tflop figure based on the 1550-1710 mhz clock. So 8.9-10 tflops. but in game it sits between 1.95-2.0 ghz without any kind of overclocking. at those clocks, they are actually 11.4 tflops on average.

Benchmarks for the 5700xt prove that on game clocks, the 5700xt is actually 9.3 tflops and the 2070 was 9.1 tflops and they were pretty much on par.

what? of course it is. look at the tflops difference between the ps4 and xbox one? i remember getting into a lot of fights at the start of this gen because people refused to believe the 40% tflops difference would amount to a 900p vs 1080p gap. ps4 pro and x1x also had a similar 40% difference which resulted in 40% more pixels. there were always rare scenarios like cod ghosts and rdr2 but overall the difference in tflops has always resulted in average performance boosts for the same generation and architecture of cards.
Interesting counterpoint I will need to check again some numbers to see if that always add up.

Dogman

This was going to be the stupidest tweet I've ever read, but then I read Chris Granell's reply. Do people not realize that RDNA2 doesn't just add features, but also adds perf/watt improvements that let it run faster on the same code vs RDNA1? Why the fuck would RDNA2 exist if it required devs to code specifically for it in order to show improved performance. Xbox Twitter gets dumber by the day

yewles1

This was going to be the stupidest tweet I've ever read, but then I read Chris Granell's reply. Do people not realize that RDNA2 doesn't just add features, but also adds perf/watt improvements that let it run faster on the same code vs RDNA1? Why the fuck would RDNA2 exist if it required devs to code specifically for it in order to show improved performance. Xbox Twitter gets dumber by the day
Like I said elsewhere, they're about as cracked as cocaine rocks.

Regarding all the talk about Xbox dev tools maturity, Fafalada (game dev and long-time member here and other boards) said on Ree that GDK/gamecore is more mature than all previous Xbox generations SDKs at launch. And also better than what other consoles had at launch in the past. Basically another source corroborating what the Dirt 5 developer has said about Xbox dev tools.

fafalada-comment2.jpg

link

fafalada-comment1.jpg

link
OOF!!

The hits. They keep on comin'

I-Z0n0YaNxTLJG1Zn6G8T-VEjpeg3YjvVZpJ-Da-40swHZ_xBVks8vFkpPFutA7iVPF_0TTc

The pinned comment in the video:
I had read quite a few disparate conclusions about this game, so I have been a lot more thorough than usual when it comes to making sure of the data. After several hours, I can conclude that both versions run at a dynamic resolution between 1440p and 2160p. The accused tearing and fps problems of Xbox Series X becomes non-existent by setting the video output to 60hz. The problem seems to come if it is set to 120hz (although the game only supports 60hz). As for framerate, both consoles quite solid with some very specific drop on Xbox, invaluable. Loading times are better on PS5 (by tenths of a second). I have detected that in some areas, the drawing distance in modeling is slightly higher on PS5 and, on the other hand, there are some more shadows in the distance on Xbox. This comparison is possibly one of the most tied that I have made, so do not have any fear in choosing one or the other. Both are good work!

II think people who hate playstation or xbox tend to be one console people anyhow. As a PC gamer, xbox owner and playstation owner, i just state facts as i see it.

This threads will get old fast and truth will come out soon enough. PS5 having it glory moment, but will not last. Weaker hardware never outperformed on pc or any console generation ever.

Series would have to broken for the PS5 to be beating it.

Despite Series X & PS5 being so close architecturally, the comparison is not exactly 1:1. Example, Series X has a higher Tflop count but also has a slower GPU clock wise. It's fast and narrow vs slow and wide.

A verified dev explains more (PS5 having a few hardware advantage despite being less powerful overall):

EcjcczV.png

DSkCZfz.png

FyezEFA.png

PS5 dev tools are more mature at the moment and the Series X should win most of the face offs in the future, but the differences will be negligible and the PS5 has it's own hardware advantages as well which will show up throughout this gen.

Tmack

Can we talk about missed oportunities?

As both consoles are completely sold out, the PS5 will apparently jump ahead simple because Sony put out more units.

So for MS we have:

- Missed opportunity of an early lead;
- Missed opportunity of having better tools (if you believe in this, of course);
- Missed opportunity of having some exclusive launch games;

None of those affect the final product, but they really need to step up their game. Because stuff like that will make they loose momentum for no reason.

ethomaz

Banned
Dirt 5 PS5 Haptics Will Be Redone; Dev Says Series X I/O Can Push Over 5GB/s Uncompressed

The developer revealed that the racing game recently released by Codemasters will get an overhaul of the PS5 haptics.

The conversation then veered off towards Xbox Series X and whether Dirt 5 could receive further improvements.

When asked why Microsoft would advertise the lower 2.4GB/s figure for raw I/O throughput, he explained that's without optimizing for fast storage.

Match doesn’t works.

10GB in 2 seconds = 5GB/s.
He said raw and no compressed.

Series X takes a bit over 4 seconds to fill 10GB/s.

ethomaz

Banned
PS5 launch event is Live on PS Brazil. They're having a drawing for 6 PS5's. I just tried for the first one. Cheer for me GAF :D
It is being impossible to subscribe in their site.

Edit - Ohhhh they put some nice ads in the building at Paulista... I'm not going there anymore due the pandemic (I work for a company in Sao Paulo so each 15 days I go there but the last time was in February).

Edit 2 - Everybody talks about the Dual Sense.

Last edited:
OOF!!

The hits. They keep on comin'

I-Z0n0YaNxTLJG1Zn6G8T-VEjpeg3YjvVZpJ-Da-40swHZ_xBVks8vFkpPFutA7iVPF_0TTc

GDK wasn’t late. Issues and bugs with features and getting them up and running was the issue. Velocity Architecture wasn’t fully available to devs to middle of August. The CPU patch to the api that activated SmT for CPU was mid September. Dev’s didn’t have as many debug consoles as they wanted. Because of Covid Microsoft set up remote cpu to access debug console for devs and that didn’t run well. Some PC’s with GDK Api didn’t emulate Xbox series X features well. It was a bunch of issues.

From what I heard from DEV’s Xbox Series X is running at Launch around 70% optimized. While PS5 is running around 90% optimized. And before fanboys and console warriors start beating their chests. Even IF Xbox Series X was Optimized another 20% doesn’t mean that scales to 20% better.

Imtjnotu

GDK wasn’t late. Issues and bugs with features and getting them up and running was the issue. Velocity Architecture wasn’t fully available to devs to middle of August. The CPU patch to the api that activated SmT for CPU was mid September. Dev’s didn’t have as many debug consoles as they wanted. Because of Covid Microsoft set up remote cpu to access debug console for devs and that didn’t run well. Some PC’s with GDK Api didn’t emulate Xbox series X features well. It was a bunch of issues.

From what I heard from DEV’s Xbox Series X is running at Launch around 70% optimized. While PS5 is running around 90% optimized. And before fanboys and console warriors start beating their chests. Even IF Xbox Series X was Optimized another 20% doesn’t mean that scales to 20% better.
oh ya. you heard this from devs...

7DYb.gif

onQ123

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

Seem's plausible but good lord are there a LOT of excuses and all coming from reliable sources which is even more interesting, not to mention a lot of them are conflicting as well. like GDK's getting sent out late but then people saying they're not getting sent out late, early and inefficient API's and lack of toolsets but then developers saying API's are completely fine.

I have a feeling all of them have some truth in them but at the same time can't help but think it must be a real shit show at Microsoft/Xbox department. who knows.

itsnotme

Just tracked my PS5 and it's sitting in my local post office 😑 man I could go an get it right now! Going to go sleep should have it in the morning by the time I wake up can't wait! Thanks for the entertainment guys truly saved me though quarantine. Hopefully the thread can stay open otherwise we could turn this to a PS5 pro and Xbox one series 720+ discussion thread just update OP xD

Lysandros

Despite Series X & PS5 being so close architecturally, the comparison is not exactly 1:1. Example, Series X has a higher Tflop count but also has a slower GPU clock wise. It's fast and narrow vs slow and wide.

A verified dev explains more (PS5 having a few hardware advantage despite being less powerful overall):

EcjcczV.png

DSkCZfz.png

FyezEFA.png

PS5 dev tools are more mature at the moment and the Series X should win most of the face offs in the future, but the differences will be negligible and the PS5 has it's own hardware advantages as well which will show up throughout this gen.
I always value Matt's input but he isn't infaillible. Until quite recently he was saying things like "PS5 will run games at 15%, 20%, 25% lower resolutions [...]" or "PS5 clock frequency advantage will not bridge the gap with the compute difference, not even close [...]" etc. Now he says that Cerny wasn't lying after all and there can be 'some' benefits.. He still leans heavily on the API arguement apparently, let's see what the future brings...

Edit: One can check quotes in question from his post history at Resetera.

Last edited:
Seem's plausible but good lord are there a LOT of excuses and all coming from reliable sources which is even more interesting, not to mention a lot of them are conflicting as well. like GDK's getting sent out late but then people saying they're not getting sent out late, early and inefficient API's and lack of toolsets but then developers saying API's are completely fine.

I have a feeling all of them have some truth in them but at the same time can't help but think it must be a real shit show at Microsoft/Xbox department. who knows.
Early GDK API software wasn’t late, just buggy and unfinished. Debug consoles where late getting out.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Can we talk about missed oportunities?

As both consoles are completely sold out, the PS5 will apparently jump ahead simple because Sony put out more units.

So for MS we have:

- Missed opportunity of an early lead;
- Missed opportunity of having better tools (if you believe in this, of course);
- Missed opportunity of having some exclusive launch games;

None of those affect the final product, but they really need to step up their game. Because stuff like that will make they loose momentum for no reason.
It's pretty crazy when you put it like that. What's shocking to me is that they were the first ones to announce next gen consoles way back in 2018. thats 2.5 years ago. So what I dont understand is why they are the ones so far behind. 2.5 years is plenty of time to get some launch games ready. if not launch games, at least games in the first year. they themselves now say they are at least 2-3 years away. why is forza in early pre-production. isnt that an oxymoron? pre-production by definition is early production, so they are early in their early production? when is that game even releasing?

how are you not gonna show up with at least realtime in game trailers 2 years after announcing your consoles? they had nothing but cgi for their big aaa games.

I think Phil simply has to go. He has spent a lot of money and just completely failed at delivering. now they are talking about releasing bethesda games on other consoles? like then what is the point of buying up an entire publisher if you are going to let them be a multiplat publisher anyway?

that said, i do think MS is in a much better spot than they were last gen. last gen they sold almost a million in their first month and actually beat out the ps4 in NA in december because the ps4 was out of stock. where they failed was being competitive after the holiday season. PS4 came back into stock and people just stopped buying the xbox one until they removed kinect and dropped the price by a $100. they cannot do that this time, but i dont think they need to. we shall see how well the series s sells after the holiday period.

Variable/boost clocks should be baked in Zen 2 though right?

Zen 2 is a CPU architecture. The PS5 variable clocks is a GPU feature. One that requires specific control logic to be designed into the silicon from the outset. So no XSX won’t ever be able to enable it unless they redesign their entire APU (never gonna happen).

Best to just accept it and move on. Clinging to hopes and dreams of stuff that’s totally unrealistic is unhealthy. You risk falling into the same category as those twitter xbox loons that we always point and laugh at here.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I always value Matt's input but he isn't infaillible. Until quite recently he was saying things like "PS5 will run games at 15%, 20%, 25% lower resolutions [...]" or "PS5 clock frequency advantage will not bridge the gap with the compute difference, not even close [...]" etc. Now he says that Cerny wasn't lying after all and there can be 'some' benefits.. He still leans heavily on the API arguement apparently, let's see what the future brings...

Edit: One can check quotes in question from his post history at Resetera.
Agreed, he's contradicted himself a few times now and keeps saying different stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom