• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Eh.. all the positive news about Xbox coming from Microsoft has a HUGE caveat to it; every time the CEO mentions Xbox and their support of gaming he brings up "one billion gamers", I think he actually said "3 billion gamers" in his last statement.

It's pretty clear the blank check they have right now is because Spencer convinced their leadership that cloud gaming was going to rocket Xbox revenue way beyond what consoles are capable of and bring as well as make MS a go-to for providing streaming hosting for other companies.

We have no idea:

- How successful cloud gaming will be
- Whether that success will even come close to matching MS's/Satya's/the rest of their board of directors expectations
- Whether that success will happen fast enough for MS's/Satay's/the rest of their board of directors expectations

And the reality is that for now there is no cloud gaming market.. so "Xbox" is it's success on consoles and PC. We've seen that early momentum can change a generation and be hard to come back from.

I don't WANT them to kill Xbox or fail at consoles.. but I think all these tech giants being bullish on cloud gaming is going to be a story 5 years from now about how it's still not gone anywhere and people sitting on MS's board are going to start asking questions. It's not about what they can or can't afford; if they spend many billions on gaming and do not reap rewards that effects investor confidence in their decisions.

I really think Cloud Gaming's success is more about the business plan vs the tech. People they want to target with cloud gaming have to either be willing to willing sacrifice quality for the sake of convince or/and the user has to be willing to get into the eco system with little to no worry about cost.

Amazon and Microsoft so far seem to have the most compelling plans with the library and cost they are offering. But its still asking a lot for a consumer to invest at this point. The desktop versions of Luna and XCloud are going to be the easiest point of entry without the purchase of hardware dedicated to gaming and until that happens I think its hard to really gauge if people are even interested at this point. Most of the evidence says they aren't.

Dolomite

Eh.. all the positive news about Xbox coming from Microsoft has a HUGE caveat to it; every time the CEO mentions Xbox and their support of gaming he brings up "one billion gamers", I think he actually said "3 billion gamers" in his last statement.

It's pretty clear the blank check they have right now is because Spencer convinced their leadership that cloud gaming was going to rocket Xbox revenue way beyond what consoles are capable of and bring as well as make MS a go-to for providing streaming hosting for other companies.
Cloud gaming? I never mentioned cloud gaming because I don't think it's for me, and also...what?
I mentioned Gamepass, is that what you meant? Yeah..to reiterate MS will sooner have AAA's from their 15 studios than Sony will have an answer to GP. Because right now GP nets around $150,000,000 a month from subs alone. I could be wrong though, MS has been tone deaf before and I'm sure not all of thier 1st parties will be bangers

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I really think Cloud Gaming's success is more about the business plan vs the tech. People they want to target with cloud gaming have to either be willing to willing sacrifice quality for the sake of convince or/and the user has to be willing to get into the eco system with little to no worry about cost.

Amazon and Microsoft so far seem to have the most compelling plans with the library and cost they are offering. But its still asking a lot for a consumer to invest at this point. The desktop versions of Luna and XCloud are going to be the easiest point of entry without the purchase of hardware dedicated to gaming and until that happens I think its hard to really gauge if people are even interested at this point. Most of the evidence says they aren't.
Yeah and at this point they are selling cloud gaming to existing gamers, who are already buying games on consoles.

It's obvious they know it has to be a long road to profitability.. but if the usage of cloud gaming in 5 years, or at most 10, is mostly console gamers using it when they are away from home, and they aren't seeing MAJOR inroads beyond that.. I think it's gonna be a bloodbath for the projects at these companies.

Nobody is building out these insane server environments that require you to be relatively close to the user to be a backup method for existing console gamers.

IntentionalPun

Cloud gaming? I never mentioned cloud gaming because I don't think it's for me, and also...what?
I mentioned Gamepass, is that what you meant? Yeah..to reiterate MS will sooner have AAA's from their 15 studios than Sony will have an answer to GP. Because right now GP nets around $150,000,000 a month from subs alone
I never said you mentioned cloud gaming.

You are denying the idea that MS could dissolve Xbox.

I am saying that the only reason it's alive today is fairly clearly because of Spencer selling their leadership on cloud gaming.

So if that fails (and by fails, I mean doesn't take off HUGE because anything else IS a failure), they very likely will look at dissolving or selling off xbox. They are not in this business to sell Gamepass subs to console/pc gamers of today. They think they can sell them to the billions of people who play candy crush. Microsoft already had massive gaming products and their board of directors wanted the division gone many years ago.. which was at the height of what gamers saw as MS's "success."

And we have no idea how much revenue GP is generating for MS; we don't know what the average person is actually paying.. and you can't consider it revenue for MS because some of it is funneled to other publishers (which is different than a material cost, it should be subtracted from revenue because MS basically never sees the money.)

Last edited:

Dolomite

I never said you mentioned cloud gaming.

You are denying the idea that MS could dissolve Xbox.

I am saying that the only reason it's alive today is fairly clearly because of Spencer selling their leadership on cloud gaming.

So if that fails (and by fails, I mean doesn't take off HUGE because anything else IS a failure), they very likely will look at dissolving or selling off xbox. They are not in this business to sell Gamepass subs to console/pc gamers of today. They think they can sell them to the billions of people who play candy crush. Microsoft already had massive gaming products and their board of directors wanted the division gone many years ago.. which was at the height of what gamers saw as MS's "success."

And we have no idea how much revenue GP is generating for MS; we don't know what the average person is actually paying.. and you can't consider it revenue for MS because some of it is funneled to other publishers (which is different than a material cost, it should be subtracted from revenue because MS basically never sees the money.)
Doubt it. I see cloud gaming mentioned more in GAF than from MS and Xcloud just went live a few months ago. I don't see them leveraging all their eggs on a technology fresh out of beta. It's not as if resources from marketing, or game development are going toward maintaining series server blades.

Gonna need more proof than speculating on an imaginative convo where Phil begs investors To spare xbox for cloud gaming

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

Doubt it. I see cloud gaming mentioned more in GAF than from MS and Xcloud just went live a few months ago. I don't see them leveraging all their eggs on a technology fresh out of beta. It's not as if resources from marketing, or game development are going toward maintaining series server blades.

Gonna need more proof than speculating on an imaginative convo where Phil begs investors To spare xbox for cloud gaming
Dude... the entire system is based as a server apu,MS are taking that path, you can be in denial all you want.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sony customer service is the fucking worst.....
this is a 100% true. Back during the early days of corona, my 2 year old managed to find my ps move controller, turn on the ps4 then pressed x until it took him to the store and then bought the first game being advertised. it turned out to be the $100 version of Doom. I found out a few minutes into the download and immediately cancelled it. then embarked on a three month quest to somehow get into contact with sony. their phone lines were down. their chat lines were down. their twitter support did not return my DMs. it was virtually impossible to contact sony.

now im stuck with a $100 version of a game i do not want to play.

MrS

Banned
this is a 100% true. Back during the early days of corona, my 2 year old managed to find my ps move controller, turn on the ps4 then pressed x until it took him to the store and then bought the first game being advertised. it turned out to be the $100 version of Doom. I found out a few minutes into the download and immediately cancelled it. then embarked on a three month quest to somehow get into contact with sony. their phone lines were down. their chat lines were down. their twitter support did not return my DMs. it was virtually impossible to contact sony.

Your own fault tbh. Be more careful with your devices. Never link your debit/credit card to your Sony account OR you can turn on passwords for your purchases.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member

Ugh. I have been worried about that myself considering the pre-ordering from Sony I did with the PS5. When I thought my Pulse 3D headset was broken last week, I found out exactly how bad the customer service is! Fortunately, my headset was NOT broken but I bounced from the phone line that told me to use the web for support, to the website that told me to call the phone number for support. I lucked out and DID get an online chat finally...they said I would get an email within 24 hours to detail and begin the return process. Luckily my headset works just fine because that was last Friday.....STILL NO EMAIL. So if I really actually needed it...I'd be screwed. So I'm really hopeful that my PS5 and the other equipment doesn't break either! Because that would really suck.

You'd think Sony would be at least a LITTLE better than this. Especially with software purchases. Hell, I couldn't even find out how to cancel a pre-order I did digitally on my PS4 Pro. Ended up having to stick with the digital edition of the game because I simply couldn't find how I could have cancelled it! So I'd definitely password protect all purchases if I had children in the house. Some may say you should have done that and fine....but the bottom line is that Sony should have better accessible customer service for things like that. PERIOD. It's inexcusable, especially in this day and age, for them not to have that in place!

Sinthor

Gold Member
Your own fault tbh. Be more careful with your devices. Never link your debit/credit card to your Sony account OR you can turn on passwords for your purchases.

That's fine and easy to say. But the bottom line is that there's no excuse for Sony not to have better customer service and accessibility to their customer service. NONE. You can't even cancel pre-orders of games on the PS Store, which is just ridiculous.

IntentionalPun

Read between the lines man.. literally every interview of Satya Nadella he brings up this shit:

“But the broader vision we have is to ensure that the three billion gamers out there are able to play their games, anywhere they want with all the content they want and with whom they want to,” Nadella continued (transcribed by Seeking Alpha). “And that’s really what we are building our strategy around.

Every time he's asked about Xbox, he says something similar. Sometimes outright calling out xCloud, but "billions of gamers" is CLEARLY a reference to it. Nobody is expecting to sell billions of consoles, nobody is expecting their to be a billion PC gamers overnight... big tech thinks that someday billions will be streaming games, they've outright said as much.

Now let's look at what Phil Spencer said about Satya at one point saying Xbox might not have a future:

"Satya was transparent that there could be a future where gaming isn't a business that Microsoft should be in," Spencer told me. "But it's better to have it above the table than below the table, right?" Spencer tried to work out what to say to Nadella. He looked at where Xbox had failed, and how the brand could be saved--if at all. When he finally called Nadella back, it was to say this: "If we're going to stay in the gaming space, then let's make sure we're all-in. The last thing I wanted to do was run the gaming organization here as kind of an afterthought of the company and kind of half-in, half-out. Let's go fix who we are."

This would have been 2014. Sony bought Gaikai in 2012, we were well into the age of tech people claiming "cloud gaming IS the future."

It's obvious to me; I'm not saying it's proven.. but it's obvious.. cloud gaming is what Satya is sold on. And to claim MS doesn't bring it up is just absolute nonsense. Particularly at the executive level, it's pretty much always mentioned or at least hinted to be the topic.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

So both controllers weigh about the same now. Do people with both think they feel like the same weight?

p3VuvVr.jpg

MrS

Banned
That's fine and easy to say. But the bottom line is that there's no excuse for Sony not to have better customer service and accessibility to their customer service. NONE. You can't even cancel pre-orders of games on the PS Store, which is just ridiculous.
You can just send them an email and they'll do it for you, like they did for me when I wanted to cancel my CyberPunk pre-order. Hardly had to move heaven and Earth as you're suggesting.

SlimySnake

I never said it wasn't. I did turn on passwords for purchases after this, but for a game i havent even installed let alone played I should be able to get a refund or at least get into contact with someone to plead my case. Sony isnt a mom and pop shop that cannot handle chat or phone support.

n but I bounced from the phone line that told me to use the web for support, to the website that told me to call the phone number for support. I lucked out and DID get an online chat finally...they said I would get an email within 24 hours to detail and begin the return process.
lol something similar happened with my friend a couple of days ago. He got into a chat after an hour of waiting who then transferred him to a phone where he had to wait another hour before he got fed up and hung up.

And the answer to your question is no, you cannot cancel any preorders on PSN. it's a purchase. You will need to contact their support who will have to manually refund you the money if you havent downloaded the game yet and if you are within the 14 day return period. Thats 14 days from when you placed the order, not when the game releases.

Their customer service is archaic in the modern age where Amazon and Microsoft bend over backwards to keep their customers happy. Sony actually bricks your entire 15 year old PSN account if you dare do a charge back on a $10 item.

kyliethicc

I never said it wasn't. I did turn on passwords for purchases after this, but for a game i havent even installed let alone played I should be able to get a refund or at least get into contact with someone to plead my case. Sony isnt a mom and pop shop that cannot handle chat or phone support.

lol something similar happened with my friend a couple of days ago. He got into a chat after an hour of waiting who then transferred him to a phone where he had to wait another hour before he got fed up and hung up.

And the answer to your question is no, you cannot cancel any preorders on PSN. it's a purchase. You will need to contact their support who will have to manually refund you the money if you havent downloaded the game yet and if you are within the 14 day return period. Thats 14 days from when you placed the order, not when the game releases.

Their customer service is archaic in the modern age where Amazon and Microsoft bend over backwards to keep their customers happy. Sony actually bricks your entire 15 year old PSN account if you dare do a charge back on a $10 item.
I've cancelled 3 different pre-orders from PS4 Store over the years and its pretty easy with their text chat support. Just takes a few mins, but they refunded me quickly each time.

ethomaz

Banned
One can't help but keep yelling "Hey look at me" while one just went about their business and is kicking ass.
It is a very weird approach in marketing.

MS seems to marketing the Xbox... everything is about Xbox... what devs can do, how the DirectX and XDK is amazing, how they release more power and power and power.
Sony seems to marketing the games.... the games makes the PlayStation marketing shines... they shows games.... they talk about the hardware and how they chance the SDK in response to Devs feedback in specific events like GDC but for consumers it is all about games.

Sinthor

Gold Member
You can just send them an email and they'll do it for you, like they did for me when I wanted to cancel my CyberPunk pre-order. Hardly had to move heaven and Earth as you're suggesting.
Ok. Just me and lots of people like me not even able to find an email address that will work. You may have had a different experience, but you're not listening. MOST people seem to have an issue even CONNECTING with Sony support much less GETTING said support. I've been around a lot of customer service operations in my career and I'm telling you, Sony is SHIT at it. It's truly stunning how bad it is.

SlimySnake

After having my morning dispute with my brother, I was had an epiphany, I thought, I have heard this before, where have I heard it before? Sure enough:

Actually this was true for Xbox One back then. For some reason, these geniuses decided that their terrible 1.2 tflops GPU had to reserve 10% of the GPU resources for kinect. A month before launch, they eliminated forced kinect integration with the system and freed up that 10% or 120 gflops for games. I wouldn't be surprised if the vram had a similar bottleneck that they freed up a few months later. It did end up getting them from 720p 60 fps at launch to 900p and 60 fps for cod games for the rest of the gen. IIRC, Titanfall was also a 760p title that was improved to 900p for the sequel. RDR2 is the best looking game of all time and runs at 900p as well. A massive 50% improvement from the 720p watch dogs version that launched before this tweet was sent out.

That said, this was mostly related to kinect and this time around they have no such device hogging up CPU and GPU resources. I dont know how they are going to get more performance when they already had 18% more raw GPU power and 25% more raw RAM bandwidth at launch.

I am gonna wait and see how the UE5 demo runs on this thing since its using actual next gen features like RT and new geometry engines that the xsx might be better at before making any final judgements. But then again, the PS5 SSD and I/O is so much faster that any gains in resolution might actually give way to better detail in the PS5 versions of UE5 games.

Kerlurk

Banned
>Backwards compatiblty with all PS4 games is also a big feature. Through a new transferring features, users will easily transfer their PS4 games to the PS5 if those games are downloaded. Save data/backups for PS4 games will also be transferable

Transferring your games from your PS4 is a feature present in the PS5, but all attempts that I have tried has failed to get this to work. I tried over wi-fi (which is very slow), and also tried via a network cable between the two consoles, and this does not work also. It always fails to complete the transfer, and on the PS4 (Pro) it locks it in the transfer mode, that I have to reboot into safe mode, and rebuild the database to get access to the console again.

Only way I got it to work in transferring games is via an external drive.

Last edited:
Actually this was true for Xbox One back then. For some reason, these geniuses decided that their terrible 1.2 tflops GPU had to reserve 10% of the GPU resources for kinect. A month before launch, they eliminated forced kinect integration with the system and freed up that 10% or 120 gflops for games. I wouldn't be surprised if the vram had a similar bottleneck that they freed up a few months later. It did end up getting them from 720p 60 fps at launch to 900p and 60 fps for cod games for the rest of the gen. IIRC, Titanfall was also a 760p title that was improved to 900p for the sequel. RDR2 is the best looking game of all time and runs at 900p as well. A massive 50% improvement from the 720p watch dogs version that launched before this tweet was sent out.

That said, this was mostly related to kinect and this time around they have no such device hogging up CPU and GPU resources. I dont know how they are going to get more performance when they already had 18% more raw GPU power and 25% more raw RAM bandwidth at launch.

I am gonna wait and see how the UE5 demo runs on this thing since its using actual next gen features like RT and new geometry engines that the xsx might be better at before making any final judgements. But then again, the PS5 SSD and I/O is so much faster that any gains in resolution might actually give way to better detail in the PS5 versions of UE5 games.

Yeah I remember the system being tied to Kinect, I guess my beef was more along the lines of "Secret sauce gonna destroy the PS4 when MS activates the hidden GPU" type of stuff. From what I have gathered, typically a console is either faster than it's competition/more performant, or it isn't. Sure, they can make optimizations, improvements to the game design process, etc. I don't want to be the guy that says, there aren't anymore improvements and what currently is, will always be, that's flawed. But, I do foresee engineers probably already back at the drawing board analyzing the potential bottlenecks/design inefficiencies. I don't think anyone who was legit bounded in fact and reality presumed the PS5 to run neck-in-neck with the XSX and even eek out wins (Fidelity wise), I expected the opposite, and I was quite okay with that.

SlimySnake

One can't help but keep yelling "Hey look at me" while one just went about their business and is kicking ass.
I wont lie. Sony's tight lipped approach drove me nuts all year. I thought they blew it with the Godfall reveal at the VGAs last year where Phil came out and literally revealed the Xbox in front Cerny and Herman Hurst while showing the best graphics of all time. Sony then took a month to reply and then at CES revealed absolutely nothing. Their Road to PS5 reveal was a disaster in marketing and while their two actual events were great, the silence between them was excruciating. Especially since we had so much FUD about the PS5 hardware and its capabilities in the middle being spread by xbox fans and MS touting the most powerful moniker every chance they got.

And yet., you are right, all Sony was doing was going about their business and just getting shit done for launch. They walked the walk instead of talking the talk. They delivered an absolutely fantastic launch lineup despite relying on several cross gen games like Spiderman and Littlebigplanet, but even those games are so good I dont care if they arent fully next gen like demon souls, Godfall or astro bot.

The UI and the OS features are fantastic and this obese excuse of a console is somehow simultaneously the sexiest console ive owned.

While MS was yapping, Sony was working. I am super excited to see what they are going to reveal at the VGAs. I hope to get Ratchet and GT7 by March or mid summer to keep this momentum going for Horizon and GOW.

I think is even more complex that library aspect, just see what is happening with Netflix, many people thought nobody will be
able to face it but just this last year see how the catalog appears/increment for Disney+, Prime Video even HBO with the movies
of Warner Movies.

In gaming perfectly could happen something like that, Nintendo have a couple of IPs which alone a bigger than the 99% of the
titles in Gamepass, many of them combine, Playstation doesn't so much its IPs in that level but already have a couple of them.

Also I almost sure in some moment Google will see as unnecessary to have Microsoft generating money in its platform as
already happen with Apple, that is the biggest problem they don't control in any way the cellphone market.

The companies are not satisfied with just part of the money they want all money if is possible, the thing is Gamepass will have more
competition than just that Xbox think are its more probably rivals and also they need a found a equilibrium between the price of the
service, dev new IPs for bigger markets (Minecraft is not enough), preserve the same (Halo is an example is not so easy) , generate
revenue all this while new rival are enter in the same market.

The people like to thought the biggest companies are invincibles, they are not just looks whats Tesla is doing or better look Windows
phone, Mixer between another examples and the stories show us than the market is more complex than just which company
have more money.

PaintTinJr

Transferring your games from your PS4 is a feature present in the PS5, but all attempts that I have tried has failed to get this to work. I tried over wi-fi (which is very slow), and also tried via a network cable between the two consoles, and this does not work also. It always fails to complete the transfer, and on the PS4 (Pro) it locks it in the transfer mode, that I have to reboot into safe mode, and rebuild the database to get access to the console again.

Only way I got it to work in transferring games is via an external drive.
I had mine hang at the calculating time (or storage or something) part, but cancelled after a five minute wait, and then transferred 1 save file manually at a time for the first game folder, then did 1 game folder, and then did each folder 1 by 1 until I'd downloaded the lot - which was time consuming and annoying, but worked - this was back on UK launch day, on the launch day firmware.

It seemed like a server lag issue, where it doesn't calculate the value for the request in the required time to start the transfer - probably a response needed in 60secs for the PS5 network layer.

kyliethicc

I wont lie. Sony's tight lipped approach drove me nuts all year. I thought they blew it with the Godfall reveal at the VGAs last year where Phil came out and literally revealed the Xbox in front Cerny and Herman Hurst while showing the best graphics of all time. Sony then took a month to reply and then at CES revealed absolutely nothing. Their Road to PS5 reveal was a disaster in marketing and while their two actual events were great, the silence between them was excruciating. Especially since we had so much FUD about the PS5 hardware and its capabilities in the middle being spread by xbox fans and MS touting the most powerful moniker every chance they got.

And yet., you are right, all Sony was doing was going about their business and just getting shit done for launch. They walked the walk instead of talking the talk. They delivered an absolutely fantastic launch lineup despite relying on several cross gen games like Spiderman and Littlebigplanet, but even those games are so good I dont care if they arent fully next gen like demon souls, Godfall or astro bot.

The UI and the OS features are fantastic and this obese excuse of a console is somehow simultaneously the sexiest console ive owned.

While MS was yapping, Sony was working. I am super excited to see what they are going to reveal at the VGAs. I hope to get Ratchet and GT7 by March or mid summer to keep this momentum going for Horizon and GOW.
I think we will get the release date for Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart at The Game Awards, and hopefully more from Sony than just that.

Yo wasn't Xbox Live supposed to be free by now?

What happened to that?
Wait til E3

Last edited:

HoofHearted

So both controllers weigh about the same now. Do people with both think they feel like the same weight?

p3VuvVr.jpg

I noted in my feedback earlier -

Basically - the PS5 controller feels a little lighter - mainly due (IMHO) to the weight distribution.

It's hard to describe - essentially when holding the XSX controller the handles are a bit heavier and - by extension - there's more of a solid feel of it sitting or "resting" in your palms when you hold it as designed.

The PS5 controller - by comparison - is a little lighter in the handles - and the plastic is smoother on top. This gives is a slightly different feel where it seems like the PS5 controller falls forward a bit.

If I had to choose between them as to which feels the best for extended play sessions - for my personal preference - I'd give the nod to the XSX controller by a *hair*. That being said - compared to the DS4 - it's miles better.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

So I just saw on reddit some rando on 4chan claims Ratchet & Clank will be dated for February at Game Awards.

He lists a bunch of stuff that will be revealed, including saying that Kratos in Fortnite was supposed to be revealed then but slipped out early, and Master Chief is being added too. His leak list sounds so boring and possible so it might even be true lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom