• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

Here we go again people... What can we see that's hidden in plain sight again this time. 😜
lOHVCxi.jpg
That space suit guy next to the logo is Kojima's logo guy.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I think they will make every dev develop on both PC and PS5 to ensure they dont have to waste money porting it later.
Like DeepEnigma DeepEnigma said they developed only PS first... after they contract a 3rd company to port to PC.

I believe that is done that way because you ensure your dev team is focused in PS graphic API and code... so you didn't change the actual internal teams and you don't need to create a new team specifically with PC knowledge.

It is a way different situation with Xbox that uses the same API/code across Xbox and PC.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They don't port in-house.
They dont now. Because those games were built as PS4 exclusives under a different leadership.

Current leadership doesnt care about PS exclusives releasing on PC. Any game going forward is likely being developed on both PC and PS5 simultaneously because it's simply more efficient and cheaper to do it in-house.

Like DeepEnigma DeepEnigma said they developed only PS first... after they contract a 3rd company to port to PC.

I believe that is done that way because you ensure your dev team is focused in PS graphic API and code.

See above. I dont think they give a shit about this anymore. Especially after the Horizon fiasco that resulted in GG themselves having to come in to fix bugs to make the game somewhat stable.

Again, if the idea is to get these games on PC in the future, its far cheaper to develop them simultaneously to reduce costs associated to a port.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
See above. I dont think they give a shit about this anymore. Especially after the Horizon fiasco that resulted in GG themselves having to come in to fix bugs to make the game somewhat stable.

Again, if the idea is to get these games on PC in the future, its far cheaper to develop them simultaneously to reduce costs associated to a port.
So Sony will start mass hiring with PC develipers? I don't think so.

All Sony teams are focused in the own PS APIs and code that are very different from PC DX/Vulkan.

SlimySnake

So Sony will start mass hiring with PC develipers? I don't think so.

All Sony teams are focused in the own PS APIs and code that are very different from PC DX/Vulkan.
we shall see. I said this last year when i was mocked, and i will say it again, this is the end game. They want to increase their revenue streams and if hiring more PC devs is whats needed then thats what they will do.

And I wouldnt be too confident in Sony devs coding to the metal now that they know these games will need to come out on PC as well. Dont expect anyone to fully utilize fancy i/o features in the PS5 beyond what PCs would allow. They will basically put in the same effort third party devs do.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And I wouldnt be too confident in Sony devs coding to the metal now that they know these games will need to come out on PC as well. Dont expect anyone to fully utilize fancy i/o features in the PS5 beyond what PCs would allow. They will basically put in the same effort third party devs do.
Now you are entering the concern / FUD territory. Come on man.

we shall see. I said this last year when i was mocked, and i will say it again, this is the end game. They want to increase their revenue streams and if hiring more PC devs is whats needed then thats what they will do.

pTsWcVG.gif

I would say XSX and PS5 DE if you are on a “budget” and do not care too too much about UHD Blu-Ray playback.

Even for 1080p TV’s you get higher quality picture (super sampled from 4K for games that support it), better textures, and better effects in games. Also you get the Xbox One X enhanced version of Xbox One titles.
It's not so much the budget that is the issue. It's supply. Series X and PS5 are not available in my region and i'm not paying over $1000 for one either.

GET FUCKED SCALPERS.

It's more about availability and Series S has no such issues. Besides I get to play some Xbox games on the cheap via GamePass so I don't mind waiting for PS5 availability while jamming on this next gen toaster.

SlimySnake

Now you are entering the concern / FUD territory. Come on man.
I was accused of concern trolling last year when I pointed out that Horizon was only the start. I would think that I have gained some cred now that I was proven right.

I think its the logical conclusion. We see this in Xbox exclusives already. Ori is a great example of a game that shipped pretty broken on base consoles because they were too busy with PC ports which ran mostly fine. We have already seen GG get directly involved with the bug fixes for Horizon for literally months taking away resources from the main team that is supposed to be finishing up Horizon 2 before the end of the year for three different consoles.

I remember being told that the Horizon PC port will not affect Horizon Forbidden West in anyway. Well, GG has spent the last few months releasing patches for PC while ignoring the PS5 userbase who have been clamoring for a 60 fps patch. We are already being fucked. We just dont know it yet.

And I wouldnt be too confident in Sony devs coding to the metal now that they know these games will need to come out on PC as well.
This is the only way to get the maximum out of the console, so they will. Exchange quality for quantity, just for porting on PC? Then we would see the PS5 hardware as an analog of the XsX or PC. But they even abandoned mesh shading in favor of primitive shading and write their own software for ray tracing and built their own I/o system. I'm afraid that these are your personal fears, which I would share only with regard to the PS4, the cycle of which is complete, but not the PS5.

kyliethicc

Still no Knack 3

sad leonardo dicaprio GIF

also fun fact - Sony themselves think that Knack 2 is worth the same value as Uncharted 1, Uncharted 2, AND Uncharted 3.

"*Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection was provided to PlayStation users in regions except Germany and China. Users in Germany and China received free access to Knack 2."

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was accused of concern trolling last year when I pointed out that Horizon was only the start. I would think that I have gained some cred now that I was proven right.

I think its the logical conclusion. We see this in Xbox exclusives already. Ori is a great example of a game that shipped pretty broken on base consoles because they were too busy with PC ports which ran mostly fine. We have already seen GG get directly involved with the bug fixes for Horizon for literally months taking away resources from the main team that is supposed to be finishing up Horizon 2 before the end of the year for three different consoles.

I remember being told that the Horizon PC port will not affect Horizon Forbidden West in anyway. Well, GG has spent the last few months releasing patches for PC while ignoring the PS5 userbase who have been clamoring for a 60 fps patch. We are already being fucked. We just dont know it yet.
What cred? You talking like an insider now?

They will still code to the metal, this will have nothing to do with how they develop for, or designed the PS5. Bet.
This is the only way to get the maximum out of the console, so they will. Exchange quality for quantity, just for porting on PC? Then we would see the PS5 hardware as an analog of the XsX or PC. But they even abandoned mesh shading in favor of primitive shading and write their own software for ray tracing and built their own I/o system. I'm afraid that these are your personal fears, which I would share only with regard to the PS4, the cycle of which is complete, but not the PS5.
Yep.

Last edited:

No wonder you were mocked

748616.jpg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

No wonder you were mocked

748616.jpg
I am glad you still dont have a PS5.

What cred? You talking like an insider now?

They will still code to the metal, this will have nothing to do with how they develop for, or designed the PS5. Bet.

Yep.
Time proved me right. You dont have to be an insider to see the writing on the wall. You guys have too much faith in suits over at Sony.

Yes, lets bet. We will come back to this in a year or two.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
He said other things, too. He talks too much in general.

I repeat once again that I don't care about the actual release of games on PC. But this will certainly affect the fact that games will be taken into account in the development as "it should work on the PC as well" and will definitely slow down the PS5's ability of streaming data in games - its main advantage over all platforms. This is where shit begin. Many interesting ways, quite specific, can simply stop using in playstation "exclusives", and this is a burden on developers in general. And, instead of polishing or developing their next games, they will be drawn into the age-old PC problems of "game not working or slowing down or crashing". This is my opinion and I don't like what Sony is doing now. You can disagree with me, but I do not want to argue.

But once PC's reach PCIe 5.0, data streaming will be massively higher than what PS5 is doing with 32GB/s raw instead of 17-22GB/s after decompressing.

SlimySnake

Don't do this, SlimySnake SlimySnake .... you're quickly veering into Riky Riky territory.
in my defense, I raised the same concerns when Phil started taking xbox to PC and let's just say their mediocre to straight up awful output since then has proven me right. It was Xbox fans mocking me back then while Sony fans agreed with me that exclusives are important because of a focus on a single SKU, coding to the metal, etc. My stance has remained the same. At worst, I am consistent.

Sony studios are more talented, but they cant say no when Jim comes to them asking them to port shit to PC or fix bugs after an outside studios fucks up the ports. The moment they tell Jim that Ratchet cant be ported to PC because the level warping can only be done on PS5 hardware, he will tell them to stop developing games that cant be ported. No one is going to lose out on $50-100 million in guaranteed revenue because some dev wanted to use the PS5 i/o.

Last edited:
But once PC's reach PCIe 5.0, data streaming will be massively higher than what PS5 is doing with 32GB/s raw instead of 17-22GB/s after decompressing.
Yes, and for this you will need to make dam fast SSDs with dam fast flash controllers and even faster video cards/processors to decompress assets, and then wait for it to reach not only enthusiasts, but also the middle segment of PC market. Yes, just a little bit, just a little bit wait.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yes, and for this you will need to make dam fast SSDs with dam fast flash controllers and even faster video cards/processors to decompress assets, and then wait for it to reach not only enthusiasts, but also the middle segment of PC market. Yes, just a little bit, just a little bit wait.

From my observation, PC gamers don't play new games, they play strange cursor games and play 1990-2000 games at 1080@100-400fps in ultra low settings. And the master race ones they spend way more money on upgrades way too little on games. Consoles gamers to me seem to be the more focused on games players because they use fixed specs that they forget after their purchase.

Last edited:
No one is going to lose out on $50-100 million in guaranteed revenue because some dev wanted to use the PS5 i/o.
Then why was it necessary to create a console like PS5 with its memory subsystem, spending hundreds of millions, so that later not to make games for it? Why and why? Because it is necessary to release it on a PC as well? I think that there is already a very thin line between personal fears and objective reality. I am also generally perplexed about this, but I do not think that they will do such stupid things to the detriment of their only system. Sony is not Microsoft.

FrankWza

From my observation, PC gamers don't play new games, they play strange cursor games and play 1990-2000 games at 1080@100-400fps in ultra low settings. And the master race ones they spend way more money on upgrades way too little on games. Consoles games to me seem to be the more focused on games players because they use fixed specs that they forget after their purchase.
And still have to wait for consoles to release games at their timetable. There’s negatives to both.

FrankWza

Then why was it necessary to create a console like PS5 with its memory subsystem, spending hundreds of millions, so that later not to make games for it? Why and why? Because it is necessary to release it on a PC as well? I think that there is already a very thin line between personal fears and objective reality. I am also generally perplexed about this, but I do not think that they will do such stupid things to the detriment of their only system. Sony is not Microsoft.
If the games are ported one or 2 years later there’s a chance more pc gamers will have SSDs fast enough. Couldn’t they just optimize it for PS5 and those PC players and have a lower setting option with regards to I/O that compensates?

From my observation, PC gamers don't play new games, they play strange cursor games and play 1990-2000 games at 1080@100-400fps in ultra low settings. And the master race ones they spend way more money on upgrades way too little on games. Consoles games to me seem to be the more focused on games players because they use fixed specs that they forget after their purchase.
I totally agree that AAA gaming is not very suitable for the PC market, because it does not bring the money comparable to consoles. You can and should get your own piece of profit from it, but for the platformholder it is important to promote your system first of all, and not target a bunch of people who do not like playing on consoles for any reason. Don't like our system? Well, okay, then wait 2-3 years to date launch on your favorite PC if it's worth for you.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

So clearly PS5 has that USB-C port (@10 Gb/s) on the front for the next PSVR. It'll use a USB-C to USB-C cable for everything. And this is why the PS5 PSU is 350 W. It needed some extra watts to power this headset.

Real question is: how will it track? IR? Cameras?

I hope its lightweight, comfortable, and $399 (or even less.)
Hopefully they can spend most of its bill of materials on a higher fidelity display.

If the games are ported one or 2 years later there’s a chance more pc gamers will have SSDs fast enough. Couldn’t they just optimize it for PS5 and those PC players and have a lower setting option with regards to I/O that compensates?
Maybe, we don't know for sure. But we know, we know for sure that there are just a lot of bottlenecks on the PC, both software and hardware, not counting the zoo of configurations.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
So clearly PS5 has that USB-C port (@10 Gb/s) on the front for the next PSVR. It'll use a USB-C to USB-C cable for everything. And this is why the PS5 PSU is 350 W. It needed some extra watts to power this headset.

Isn't that fairly limiting? That's not enough for 2 8bit 1440p60 signals is it?

I guess they are gonna shoot for 1080p/60 probably either way.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Time proved me right.

Bro I was right too; and think you are wrong on this day-one release thing.

Also not acting like a clown about it throwing around words like "cred" ;) The writing was on the wall, anyone thinking Sony wasn't going to do more PC releases was delusional.. people who thought they were, were just.. reading quotes correctly.

<3

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Isn't that fairly limiting? That's not enough for 2 8bit 1440p60 signals is it?

I guess they are gonna shoot for 1080p/60 probably either way.
I have no idea how it works, but clearly a single USB-C port can deliver a legit high res VR experience.

pGh6a87.jpg

Unfortunately Valve dropped support for VirtualLink because PC hardware didn't support it enough. Nvidia dropped it too. But AMD's new 6000 GPUs do support it. Maybe PS5 has a customized version of this. Maybe it can have higher bandwidth via that port for VR but is only 10 Gb/s for USB data alone, like for external USB SSDs. Idk.

Last edited:
in my defense, I raised the same concerns when Phil started taking xbox to PC and let's just say their mediocre to straight up awful output since then has proven me right. It was Xbox fans mocking me back then while Sony fans agreed with me that exclusives are important because of a focus on a single SKU, coding to the metal, etc. My stance has remained the same. At worst, I am consistent.

Sony studios are more talented, but they cant say no when Jim comes to them asking them to port shit to PC or fix bugs after an outside studios fucks up the ports. The moment they tell Jim that Ratchet cant be ported to PC because the level warping can only be done on PS5 hardware, he will tell them to stop developing games that cant be ported. No one is going to lose out on $50-100 million in guaranteed revenue because some dev wanted to use the PS5 i/o.

Nah... the head of WWS would simply and more sensibly decide that games specifically designed for PS5's unique hardware features aren't going to launch on PC in the first place.

You're making the mistaken assumption that a small handful of late ports are an indication that Sony is going to launch every game on PC. They aren't. So your final line about leaving $50-100 million on the table is moot. By that logic, U4, TLOUII, Dreams, Spiderman, Until Dawn etc etc should have all gone to PC too... they didn't.

IntentionalPun

I have no idea how it works, but clearly a single USB-C port can deliver a legit high res VR experience.

pGh6a87.jpg

Unfortunately Valve dropped support for VirtualLink because PC hardware didn't support it enough. Nvidia dropped it too. But AMD's new 6000 GPUs do support it.

VirtualLink was going to be 32GB/second for video though. And it doesn't really exist anymore.

USB-C is just the connector format; the port would have had to be far more bandwidth than USB 3.1.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

VirtualLink was going to be 32GB/second for video though. And it doesn't really exist anymore.

USB-C is just the connector format; the port would have had to be far more bandwidth than USB 3.1.
32 GB or Gb per second? And yeah I know its kinda dead, but AMD new GPUs support it.

Maybe Sony customized the port to be able to deliver more bandwidth but only when using the next PSVR. Idk.
Some guy looking at the PS5 die said it has something related to video out via USB in its I/O die area.

Sony have said its gonna use 1 cable. Seems obvious its that gonna use the USB-C port on the front of every PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom