• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hashi

That's not how it works.
pNyWOa8K_400x400.jpeg

Vagos48

If I can say, it's quite a bizzarre situation. The lowest resolution is around the 14% resolution higher on series X (so the gap expected in the GPU) but still we see a FPS more fluctuant. It's quite weird to see the game push dynamic higher resolution around the 32% of more pixels, just why? I really don't get it
From, what we 've seen so far , XSX/S struggle with Dynamic Resolution in the sense that is more difficult to regulate, between resolution and performance. Mark Cerny's words comes to mind , when he spoke about power budget and how better the ps5 can handle stressed scenarios, than a fixed clock machine.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Possibly.
Cerny mentioned it in the GDC talk.
Would you explain?
They only drew lines across the APU for a FUDgenda.

The cold air gets pulled in from both sides through the vent and out the back like a vacuum, not an imaginary tunnel for internet clowns.

Again, even if it did (which it doesn't), how is that an issue, BUT NOT AN ISSUE ON THE PC OR ZERO AIRFLOW LAPTOPS? 🤡:messenger_ok:

PCMRs should be annoyed with Xbox fanatics for making their parts sound like cheap shit that will overheat and melt into RRoD, yet they somehow join in and throw their own hardware under the bus.

youtube lol GIF

Zadom

I'm the one handwaving? Victim of what exactly? I don't own any console. I see xbox players complaining about sony gamers shit on threads as soon as it opens and it's met with persecuption complex accusations. If it's a pc gamer barging into a sony thread then it's already a bad thing, or envy or insecurity. Envy of what exactly?

And i'm the one handwaving, right....We all know where your alliegances lie.
Sounds like you want to join the console wars even though you don’t own a console. Sure, join in, have fun. If that’s your thing.
VcSEDnS.jpg

LiquidRex

Don't expect a Hideo Kojima/Sony collaboration, he's fully cloud committed so more Likely Microsoft if Amazon aren't sold on his idea.
Would further explain Kojima Production mascot on display in the background of Phil Spencers most recent video chat.
i6VMqS9.jpg

Last edited:
LoL what? You have to check performance vs power consumption if you want to know which console "brute force" more than the other.

Lol, wut!!

"Brute force" is a silly ambiguous term that anyone can define any way they want to. It has no relevance nor meaning in any kind of intelligent discourse on the merits or drawbacks of computing hardware design.

It's a shitty meaningless non-criticism like "generic" that only fanboys use to argue against a product they don't like.

I think it's like this:
mt1GGBDVuMOiI22Jhuge.jpg

But I am probably wrong :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Vents at the front of the console so the air flow goes in at the front, out at the back.

Cerny mentioned it in the GDC talk.

They only drew lines across the APU for a FUDgenda.

The cold air gets pulled in from both sides through the vent and out the back like a vacuum, not an imaginary tunnel for internet clowns.

Yes, the air gets pulled in from the front, so while his drawing for the internal air flow path was over simplified, it was still correct in that the extension M.2. drives see the coldest air.

If you didn't know before, seeing the coldest air is a good thing, because the higher the temperature differential between the bulk air flow temperature and the surface temps of the heat sink finned area, the higher the rate of heat exchange.

It's an efficient cooling system design.

squidilix

I wonder if is not more safe to play PS5 game on Internal SSD and leave unused PS5 on the external SSD. Less heat I suppose, bc no Read/Write process.

Still wondering the data life of the internal SSD PS5

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You guys are fucking wrong the air is sucked through the inner part of that fan, so in this case it would be 90 degree to the side of the side of PS5 if that make sense. Like this:

0reggldeuj2s.jpg

Should be in blue, but the retarded controls on Mac prevent me from doing so on first try. So yeah technically is going from front panels, but it's more like 3D, not planar.

Lets clarify a little more..
3FgmoXD.jpg
The ps5 intakes are on the front and it blows hot air out the back so i cant see how blowing hot air from the m2 drive across the board is a good thing...looking the bay closer it does not have much space for air to circulate in also so its a direct radiant heat source right next to your fan

PS5 fan draws in air from BOTH sides, pushes it through the duct (or only opening) where there is the heat sink.

The fan spins clockwise when looking at the side with SSD enclosure and disc if it is disc edition (some people here got the turning wrong way around).

And also SSD has two openings towards the fan (if you look closely when the enclosure is removed you can see those two slids) so there is active cooling by pressure difference plus the dissipation coming from the ssd sink if it has one (and if it has a sink, it is added benefit to active cooling with pressure difference as the air is moved through the sink and not just relegated to passive convection dissipation)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The ps5 intakes are on the front and it blows hot air out the back so i cant see how blowing hot air from the m2 drive across the board is a good thing...looking the bay closer it does not have much space for air to circulate in also so its a direct radiant heat source right next to your fan
This isn't true.
PS5 fan draws in air from BOTH sides, pushes it through the duct (or only opening) where there is the heat sink.

The fan spins clockwise looking when looking at the side with SSD enclosure and disc if it is disc edition (some people here got the turning wrong way around).

And also SSD has two openings towards the fan (if you look closely when the enclosure is removed you can see those two slids) so there is active cooling by pressure difference plus the dissipation coming from the ssd sink if it has one (and if it has a sink, it is added benefit to active cooling with pressure difference as the air is moved through the sink and not just relegated to passive convection dissipation)
This is true.

Last edited:

The fan spins clockwise when looking at the side with SSD enclosure and disc if it is disc edition (some people here got the turning wrong way around).

I haven't seen you post on this thread for a while, welcome back :)

Helps to see the slot but that's more or less correct.

expand-Ps5-storage-M.jpg

Also let me just add, for those of you with m.2 SSDs that have heat sinks, your PCs are basically open enclosures where there is little GENERAL pressure difference is built in total (either positive or negative) with fans blowing air IN or OUT,

and as far as a heatsink that doesn't have a fan right on top of it, the cooling efficiency of these sinks is up to how much extreme pressure difference you can build in total, an m.2 SSD with heatsink just sitting there with barely positive or negative pressure is just like it is sitting in any open room. If you are not fond of fans because they make a lot of noise and use custom or AIO liquid cooling, this is more than likely.

PS5 has an enclosure solution with precise openings for tightly controlled air movement, air will be sucked out in one direction and pulled in another, so the air in the enclosure will not be sitting idly, it will move independent of any heatsink, but as added bonus if it has heatsink then a heatsink in tightly controlled situation is even more efficient compared to open air/neutral pressure.

Also let me just add, for those of you with m.2 SSDs that have heat sinks, your PCs are basically open enclosures where there is little GENERAL pressure difference is built in total (either positive or negative) with fans blowing air IN or OUT,

and as far as a heatsink that doesn't have a fan right on top of it, the cooling efficiency of these sinks is up to how much extreme pressure difference you can build in total, an m.2 SSD with heatsink just sitting there with barely positive or negative pressure is just like it is sitting in any open room. If you are not fond of fans because they make a lot of noise and use custom or AIO liquid cooling, this is more than likely.

PS5 has an enclosure solution with precise openings for tightly controlled air movement, air will be sucked out in one direction and pulled in another, so the air in the enclosure will not be sitting idly, it will move independent of any heatsink, but as added bonus if it has heatsink then a heatsink in tightly controlled situation is even more efficient compared to open air/neutral pressure.

In terms of the mechanics of heat transfer, assuming there is a heat sink, the heat sink isn't just an added bonus it's required.

The rate of heat transfer is a function of the temperature differential (principally between the bulk air flow and the heat sink surface temperature), the surface area for heat exchange and the mass flowrate of the air through the enclosure.

The pressure differential only determines the volumetric flowrate of air through the enclosure. This sets the mass flowrate of the air as well as the air velocity influencing the overall heat transfer coefficient (velocity influences the air flow regime, i.e. whether either turbulent flow or transient, which defines the boundary layer of air against the metal surface).

The convective heat transfer between the finned surface of the heat sink and the air (i.e. often the rate limiting step) is largely influenced by the amount of exposed metal surface available for heat exchange. Outside of the temperature driving force, which is largely going to be assumed as a basis for the cooling system design, in a console enclosure where noise is limiting the air flow-rate at the top end, increasing metal surface area will have the biggest impact on the overall rate of heat transfer.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Evil Controllers Boss States Why They Think Sony Didn’t Include PS5 Controller Back Buttons by Default

Adam Coe: I believe additional inputs were not added to the controller because not all gamers prefer a competitively designed controller. With a lot of casual gamers out there, I think it’s best to provide a platform that works for everyone and can be further enhanced for competitive gaming.

PS5s ssd slot if I'm not mistaken, uses a negative air chamber to draw the heat out if the SSD chamber. Cold air does not flow over the slot or ssd itself

Negative pressure is what creates air flow. So yes, cool air does flow over the SSD.

Evil Controllers Boss States Why They Think Sony Didn’t Include PS5 Controller Back Buttons by Default

Anyone can speculate on the reasons. This is no more official than a reasoning someone on here can come up with.

Negative pressure, or rather a negative pressure differential, is the driving force for air flow. So it's not saying anything different from what many here are saying.

SSfox

I hope full gen 9 plus PC

I second that, less of the In-Game engine footage please, because that quote may as well just say CGI.

I've never really liked when footage states In-game engine.
It's FS game, so pretty much guaranteed consoles +PC as usual.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
No, I'm not. I'm saying expansion isn't available because they don't have SSD's yet that can run at the speeds they need. Part of that is how hot SSD's run and how that throttles their performance and how incredibly expensive SSD's that run anywhere near that fast currently are. This is a simple fact about SSD"s. If you need 7gbps or greater constant speed then it's going to generate a metric fuckton of heat and for now be very expensive. If this summer date rumor ends up being right then obviously they have plans to solve it by then.

There seems to be some confusion on the maximum heat output we see on NVMe drive reviews and how that would translate to typical behavior when using them on a PS5.

The higher power consumption and temperature numbers, and eventual throttling, we see are always related to sequential writes. Here's an eaxmple of the WD SN850 that reaches 7GBytes/s read (not 7gbps btw). It's a M.2 drive that is sold without a heatsink, so the effect of the temperature output is more noticeable in the readings:

bIqZzRG.png

pxxPaIa.png

While playing games, the PS5 will use the SSD almost exclusively (>99.9% of the time) to stream assets from the mass storage, i.e. on sequential reads with block sizes over 64K.
In that particular case, the SSD without a heatsink doesn't go above ~46ºC. The temperature on these drives shouldn't be a problem while playing games.
I think the only time the PS5 ever needs to throttle down the M.2 SSD is when copying games from the internal SSD to the M.2 one

I see no need for the fan to run at higher speeds due to the add-in SSD. I think Sony will be allowing many different things on future firmwares, two of them being the custom fan profile optimizations (which had been announced already) and the support for add-in M.2 SSDs.
It seems that somehow these messages got mixed up and someone assumed the custom fan profiles were related to the add-in SSD support.

Sinthor

Gold Member
There seems to be some confusion on the maximum heat output we see on NVMe drive reviews and how that would translate to typical behavior when using them on a PS5.

The higher power consumption and temperature numbers, and eventual throttling, we see are always related to sequential writes. Here's an eaxmple of the WD SN850 that reaches 7GBytes/s read (not 7gbps btw). It's a M.2 drive that is sold without a heatsink, so the effect of the temperature output is more noticeable in the readings:

bIqZzRG.png

pxxPaIa.png

While playing games, the PS5 will use the SSD almost exclusively (>99.9% of the time) to stream assets from the mass storage, i.e. on sequential reads with block sizes over 64K.
In that particular case, the SSD without a heatsink doesn't go above ~46ºC. The temperature on these drives shouldn't be a problem while playing games.
I think the only time the PS5 ever needs to throttle down the M.2 SSD is when copying games from the internal SSD to the M.2 one

I see no need for the fan to run at higher speeds due to the add-in SSD. I think Sony will be allowing many different things on future firmwares, two of them being the custom fan profile optimizations (which had been announced already) and the support for add-in M.2 SSDs.
It seems that somehow these messages got mixed up and someone assumed the custom fan profiles were related to the add-in SSD support.
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Sony ends up LOWERING the speed of the PS5 fan or at least allowing for it to be lowered at need? Not sure what would get the "overheating PS5's" crowd first- a heart attack, or a stroke!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom