• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Blaster

Money cant create talent but it can buy it. They've shown this with forza horizon, they basically bought a lot of creative people from codemasters to join playground games and its why forza horizon games look good while codemasters games haven't just look at dirt 5.
Rare was very talented before being bought by MS, it all depends on how much the new management can screw talent.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Doesn’t quick resume on x have issues with not working on all games and taking games out of your queue randomly? I haven’t heard much about it since it was going to revolutionize gaming on and before November 10th
I mean it not like both consoles were system ready. It's ridiculous that people are okay with, but what can you do... XSX in insider form have ridiculous amount of bugs, they started to branch it with new kernel and OHBOY.gif

Iced Arcade

That’s not how revolutionary features work. They usually continue to get touted as a reason to buy. So it works for every game and has been flawless?
oh I don't know about "touting" it as a reason to buy... just saying its a nice feature and has worked perfectly for me 💁

Last edited:

Fess

That’s not how revolutionary features work. They usually continue to get touted as a reason to buy. So it works for every game and has been flawless?
AC had it deactivated but other than that it has worked fine for me. But revolutionary? Quick Resume start games in a few seconds instead of a few more seconds. I mean I definitely like it but is it worth hyping as a system selling feature?
Idk 🤷‍♂️

RetroArch is still the best thing about XSX. Unfortunately I don’t think you can install it in retail mode anymore. RIP you awesome thing 😥

In memoriam

lonjXwE.jpg

Screengrab as a dash background after the best Super Metroid playthrough I’ve experienced since playing it on an original SNES👌

huraga

Banned
H huraga : Reads article..... draws completely the opposite conclusion.

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor
I mean more performance/watt. PS5 use a brute force playing with the frecuency to get a similar performance.

I think they are just two different approaches. In my personal opinion I think SX is more advanced and PS5 more traditional in their approaches to get a similar performance. But both systems are really great.

I think PS5 will work better in some scenarios and SX in others.

I mean more performance/watt. PS5 use a brute force playing with the frecuency to get a similar performance.

I think they are just two different approaches. In my personal opinion I think SX is more advanced and PS5 more traditional in their approaches to get a similar performance. But both systems are really great.

The PS5 isn't using a brute force approach to its design. It appears to rely on efficiency more than anything.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

PS5 is using variable clocks, XSX static.

PS5 is going with high clocks that are over 2Ghz like the RDNA 2 cards, XSX isnt.

PS5 is more traditional...?

Wut?

Also, wouldn't brute force be the static clocks? PS5 is doing it based on specific conditions.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PS5 is using variable clocks, XSX static.

PS5 is going with high clocks that are over 2Ghz like the RDNA 2 cards, XSX isnt.

PS5 is more traditional...?

Wut?

Also, wouldn't brute force be the static clocks? PS5 is doing it based on specific conditions.
Ignore that shit. I remember when Xbox fans were complaining about the decades old "brute force" being used during the "8TF" banning's. Now it's in vogue it seems.

And now some are whipping out RRoD over a sole M2 drive nowhere near the APU, ignoring they are sandwiched between CPU/GPU in PCs and sandwiched with no ventilation on gaming laptops... when that word was once taboo to them.

irony GIF

I would repeat again like a broken record as I just did, to play games, but some on here seem like they hate games as well and can't ever find anything to play either, from price complaints to supposed AAA starvation.

It. Never. Ends.

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade Won’t Utilize All PS5 Features, Sequel Will Use Full Potential

“In regards to the graphics, the lighting and textures have been adjusted, but we’ve also added fog elements to the environment, giving you an even more immersive experience as you enter the world. We also have a mode that allows for 4K and runs on 60fps, ” said Nomura.
Speaking about Haptics, Nomura replied: “We have a few things that incorporates the adaptive triggers. However, in regards to fully utilizing the PS5 various features, we hope you can please wait for the next installment to experience it.”

LiquidRex

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think the main criticism against the PS5 was that it wasn't a more traditional console design. There was a lot of scepticism on the variable clocks and the focus on the I/O system. I would not call the PS5 a traditional console.
I would call it a more traditional console over the x86 PC lite we had last gen when everyone called that "safe."

Consoles have always had a more customized solution as the norm.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

In what way PS5 is more traditional and the series X more advanced?

I would call it a more traditional console over the x86 PC lite we had last gen when everyone called that "safe."

Consoles have always had a more customized solution as the norm.
Ps5 isn't traditional infact it is the most revolutionary console for decades an for that's mostly to do with the ssd architecture. And it isn't just my words a lot of devs have said this. Infact it's the xbox thats traditional they went with a proven traditional design more teraflops more bandwidth and a ssd there's nothing out of the world here.
Ps5 on the other hand went with variable clocks some alien architecture with cache scrubbers and all the io silicon 12 channels and so on even pcs still cant keep up. That io architectures on ps5 alone has made epic change the code on ue5 and even made the internet go mad people couldn't even fathom it. So calling it traditional is just ignorance. Infact PlayStations have always been weird it's only the PS4 that's quite normal not ps5 mate. when you have a machine that can stream worlds in a second like ratchet n clank or load a 100gb+ scene with polygons the size of pixels on a system with 16gb in realtime 30-60fps then I'll salute you because one scene or even a model on that ue5 demo would crash a monster pc if it wasn't using the ssd memory as ram extension and to stream such a scene in realtime at 30fps isn't traditional my friend it's the future.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ps5 isn't traditional infact it is the most revolutionary console for decades an for that's mostly to do with the ssd architecture. And it isn't just my words a lot of devs have said this. Infact it's the xbox thats traditional they went with a proven traditional design more teraflops more bandwidth and a ssd there's nothing out of the world here.
Ps5 on the other hand went with variable clocks some alien architecture with cache scrubbers and all the io silicon 12 channels and so on even pcs still cant keep up. That io architectures on ps5 alone has made epic change the code on ue5 and even made the internet go mad people couldn't even fathom it. So calling it traditional is just ignorance. Infact PlayStations have always been weird it's only the PS4 that's quite normal not ps5 mate. when you have a machine that can stream worlds in a second like ratchet n clank or load a 100gb+ scene with polygons the size of pixels on a system with 16gb in realtime 30-60fps then I'll salute you because one scene or even a model on that ue5 demo would crash a monster pc if it wasn't using the ssd memory as ram extension and to stream such a scene in realtime at 30fps isn't traditional my friend it's the future.
Well yeah, that is how consoles were. Exotic designs and not "safe" PC like approaches like last gen was. PS3, PS2, PS1, Sega and Nintendo, to Atari's and 3DOs. They were all their own unique things.

I meant "traditional" in the sense that it doesn't completely mirror a safe "laptop in a box" like approach, and is much more customized like consoles past. I am excited for the I/O to push the PC arena, and I hope it does and they just don't continue to brute force. They will hit an heat wall eventually at that rate and will need a more elegant solution in the I/O arena.

Last edited:

Rea

The most easiest and traditional way to build a console is to go wider and lower clocks. But the downside for going wider is more expensive and lesser yield. PS5 is not brute forcing, and no SX is not more advanced than PS5. It's the other way around due to PS5 revolutionary I/O throughput and variable frequency approache is totally new paradigm.

huraga

Banned
I see too much FUD here. If people really thought that PS5 is more powerful than Series X they wouldn't be here fighting to try and prove it. I don't see people with RTX 3080/3090 going into forums to say the PC is more powerful than the consoles, because it clearly is. When you are sure of something you do not need to reaffirm yourself in others.

The PS5 is the most revolutionary console we've seen in a very long time. There's nothing "brute force" about it's design approach and an unbiased, objective look at the fact that a 10TF console with a 300+mmsq die is consistently beating a 12TF 360mmsq console in real games should tell you very clearly which one is the more elegant, more efficient console design.

Personal opinions are pretty irrelevant in the face of what the real life evidence demonstrates.

That said, both consoles are excellently designed and built machines. So no one should be disappointed in either.

I see too much FUD here. If people really thought that PS5 is more powerful than Series X they wouldn't be here fighting to try and prove it. I don't see people with RTX 3080/3090 going into forums to say the PC is more powerful than the consoles, because it clearly is. When you are sure of something you do not need to reaffirm yourself in others.

Actually you're the one spreading FUD.

bitbydeath

Why would anyone be fighting to prove it when the games are already showing the results.

People can talk shit all they want about specs but the proof is in the games themselves.

If people really thought that PS5 is more powerful than Series X they wouldn't be here fighting to try and prove it.

Specs are out for a long time, and no one even thinks that PS5 is more powerful than XSX. PS5 REALLY has some advantages over XSX. Period! For some people is really hard to believe that. And some games are performing better on PS5 than on XSX. That's it. It is Microsoft and Phil Spencer to blame for brainwashing their own community for months. Now when games and first comparisons appeared....well, the rest is history

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
? Where did this even come from?

Might as well drop this line in damn near any PS5 ad XSX specific thread then.

Sinthor

Gold Member
The PS5 is the most revolutionary console we've seen in a very long time. There's nothing "brute force" about it's design approach and an unbiased, objective look at the fact that a 10TF console with a 300+mmsq die is consistently beating a 12TF 360mmsq console in real games should tell you very clearly which one is the more elegant, more efficient console design.

Personal opinions are pretty irrelevant in the face of what the real life evidence demonstrates.

That said, both consoles are excellently designed and built machines. So no one should be disappointed in either.
That's the thing. People need to chill a little on the console warring. Look, it IS impressive that the stronger machine on paper, isn't consistently outperforming the lesser. That's a big deal, so people are going to talk about it. Obviously, it comes down to the overall system design, not just the specs on paper and that's what we're seeing. So fine. But it's not like Xbox fans are going to be sitting in front of games and thinking...'gee, this sucks!' Look, if Microsoft were as good at the console game as Sony (or as in my opinion, if they weren't hampered by deciding to get OUT of the console market and then restarting their plans a few years ago) they'd HAVE a bunch of games as well. Since they don't, it's making people focus even more on these differences, which are generally fairly small and not something that gamers will really register with their eyes.

Once Microsoft has more available for XSX, Xbox fans will be very happy, I'm sure of it. Look, I keep saying this but I had friends who got XB1's when I got my PS4 and they were seriously bummed out when they read about all the differences in the games. 900p when the PS4 was "True HD" 1080p and things like that. But you know what. They soon realized (and I agreed when we compared) that they didn't even notice those differences unless they were seeing a DF video where they blow things up by 300x or whatever. So they ended up just fine and satisfied with their systems.

So if you're a Microsoft fan, you're in it mostly for the ecosystem and the way things are setup there. Same for Sony fans. So...enjoy those ecosystems and the games that will be on each. I think it's a shame MS screwed this up with the game availability (although again in my opinion, it WASN'T a screwup, just a change in plans), but over the next year and a half and going forward from there, you'll have plenty of XSX games to play and enjoy.

I DO think that comparing the differences here and there in the games is fascinating but not for the purposes of bashing each other over the head with 'my toy is better than your toy' stuff. Instead I think if you look at these things rationally, it gives clues as to the different architectures and designs of each box. So I think it's worthwhile from that standpoint. I understand it's a little rough for the Xbox fans right now given the relative smaller number of games they have available but things will heat up. Don't forget guys, you'll probably get to crow about the new Elder Scrolls being an exclusive and I'm betting a lot of people will make up for any shortfalls now, with how much they post about that when/if it happens! :)

L
To put it simple a ps5 is as efficiently as an ak47 and the series x is the billion dollar funded american gun m4,ar15 and whatnot that's good on propaganda adverts but not actual war. Nobody is saying the ar 15 is bad it's just not efficient and well engineered as the ak47.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom