• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doncabesa

Xbox Series S - Fallout 4 mod list:

- 60FPS Series S/X
- Crafting Blur Removal
- Ironsight Blur Removal
- Disable God Rays
- Vivid Fallout - All In One
- TLS Realistic Gunfire
- Visible Galaxy 4k
- NAT Natural & Atmospheric Commonwealth

Currently just looking at mods that enhance the experience and the 60FPS one is by far the best one.

Also this Series S boots up in like 2 seconds. Then another 2 seconds to launch to main menu of Fallout 4 and another 2 seconds to load into the game.
I could be totally wrong but the 60fps mod plus fps boost is giving me 120 fps for skyrim and fallout 4, it feels and looks so much better. Might be a trick of my mind but it makes sense, the fps boost is a framerate doubler and they're running natively at 60 with the mods on.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

00:00:00 Intro
00:01:56 Bethesda joins Microsoft
00:13:38 Switch Pro/Switch OLED follow-up discussion
00:18:09 First impressions on Apex Switch
00:22:53 High frame-rate updates (Overwatch, Samurai Shodown)
00:31:41 Does resolution really matter - and why focus on it?
00:47:14 Retro Corner: TMNT: Shredder's Revenge, NeoGeo Pocket screen mod, Tokyo Game Music Show
01:01:06 DF coverage from last week + Supporter Q+A

DF once again talking about does resolution matter.....

I suggest some really....really, really, really watch this section.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Interfectum

Tons of MS chatter this morning (day one third party release, undertale, more FPS boosts, headphones, etc) is exactly what I was talking about earlier. There is momentum here and MS hasn't even started releasing new games yet. By the time Sony attempts to counter Bethesda or FPS Boost or whatever they deem as a threat, MS will be on to the next thing.

Xbox is positioning all of it's current systems for continued momentum. Any given day they'll have gaming hype around BC boosts / additions, new third party day one releases, new first party releases, new GAAS updates, etc. Game Pass subs are going to explode.

JTCx

Tons of MS chatter this morning (day one third party release, undertale, more FPS boosts, headphones, etc) is exactly what I was talking about earlier. There is momentum here and MS hasn't even started releasing new games yet. By the time Sony attempts to counter Bethesda or FPS Boost or whatever they deem as a threat, MS will be on to the next thing.

Xbox is positioning all of it's current systems for continued momentum. Any given day they'll have gaming hype around BC boosts / additions, new third party day one releases, new first party releases, new GAAS updates, etc. Game Pass subs are going to explode.
This reads like a MS ad from 2020

3liteDragon

Is there another means? Budget expended on that project.

BTW using the own CEO from PeopleCanFly... around $50-80 millions nowdays is considered AAA.
Budget, team size, resources involved, marketing, price.
g90WBqq.jpg

1hyxmSJ.jpg

From their website.

Make of this what you will.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
All you have to do is say in plain English what MS is doing and it sounds like a hype ad. Pretty telling for their momentum going forward.

All I hear is the same drum being beaten for the past few years. It’s always the same talk. We can rewind a bit and see the same people say momentum going into next gen launch was all on Xbox. Yet... reality seems to have a hard time aligning with this online narrative, why is that?

jroc74

Thats not exactly what momentum means.

Is this the same type of momentum that ppl were saying Sony was losing by being so quiet pre next gen launch?

Momentum is what Sony continued from the last few years of the PS3, the entire PS4 gen and the start of this gen.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
g90WBqq.jpg

1hyxmSJ.jpg

From their website.

Make of this what you will.
The company size is unrelated to how much budget you have in a game.
Outsiders doesn't have AAA budget... it is probably a small team because the company works in more than one project at the same time.

Last edited:

Lemondish

Gamepass feels like MoviePass to me. I'm even using it the same way. I'm cancelling purchases when the option comes up, even if it's on my shitty PC. I was set to buy Outriders on PS5 - but now I get it for $1 this month.

I'll do the same with Elder Scrolls, a game I would have paid exorbitant amounts for if there was a collector's edition.

I can't help but wonder how the hell anybody is going to make any money on this, but for right now it doesn't really matter to me. If I can continue to exploit the hell out of this insane idea, you bet your ass I will. The best part? I can cancel during droughts without issue lol!

Lads which game should i buy? I finished ghist if tsushima

my 3 options
hitman( really waiting fof it to get cheaper)👍
Dark souls?🔥
Returnel 👌

which One 👍🔥👌

I'd classify Outriders as a AAA, albiet a janky one on the lower end of the spectrum

I don't think 200 people are working on it though. They have another AAA game in development alongside Outriders

Last edited:

Interfectum

All I hear is the same drum being beaten for the past few years. It’s always the same talk. We can rewind a bit and see the same people say momentum going into next gen launch was all on Xbox. Yet... reality seems to have a hard time aligning with this online narrative, why is that?
We all know Xbox is in the middle of a reboot most likely starting around 2018. Do you really think nothing will come from 23 studios actively working on content for Xbox? Are you picturing in your head a scenario where MS just gives up and fires all of those people? If not, clearly a big change is coming for Xbox.

Feel free to wait and see or to be skeptical, but I think some of you are in straight up denial.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I am with you. For years their E3 stuff was always hyped to the moon and I never was blown away. But this genuinely feels like different momentum. I think 2022 and 2023 are gonna be bombastic for all three of the major players.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'd classify Outriders as a AAA, albiet a janky one on the lower end of the spectrum

I don't think 200 people are working on it though. They have another AAA game in development alongside Outriders
Surely AAA should be reserved for games with such high quality and standards in all departments, that the word janky can't be uttered anywhere near them.

It's perfectly reasonable for games to be AA, A or even B tier games and still be fun. But AAA is thrown around too readily.

Surely AAA should be reserved for games with such high quality and standards in all departments, that the word janky can't be uttered anywhere near them.

It's perfectly reasonable for games to be AA, A or even B tier games and still be fun. But AAA is thrown around too readily.

I mean, ideally AAA games should be up there as the most polished, but then we have games like Assassin's Creed with jank as big as their budgets

Last edited:

jroc74

We all know Xbox is in the middle of a reboot most likely starting around 2018. Do you really think nothing will come from 23 studios actively working on content for Xbox? Are you picturing in your head a scenario where MS just gives up and fires all of those people? If not, clearly a big change is coming for Xbox.

Feel free to wait and see or to be skeptical, but I think some of you are in straight up denial.
This is all well n good. But we havent seen any momentum yet. Some claimed the momentum started when the One X launched. That didnt really pan out.

We need to actually see momentum to say there's momentum.

Maybe what you mean is mindshare, good will? I'm not sure what to even call it.

MS also rebooted Windows Mobile twice....and look how that ended up. Thats why ppl need to wait before claiming seeing any momentum.

Last edited:

SSfox

Speaking about AAA games, something i hope Jimbo and Hermen are aware of games being too big and too large isn't always necessary, they are only it fits the vision of the devs, i personally usually love long games, but for example for tlou2 i felt the game was unnecessary long (i still think the game was good, but far from perfection, games like GOW or TLOU1 are waaaaaay better for example), of course there are cases when games are ridiculously short like RE3, and i'll take too long over too short, but good balance is good too. Imo Uncharted LL is the most well balanced ND game of the gen.

Shawn layden himself said something like that right during tlou2 launch (so when he wasn't at Sony anymore), i'm not saying i have the same knowledge as him on how to handle AAA games, but i really felt same way and agreed with him in this. Iconic and awesome games aren't necessarily so because they were big or large, but of course of many other things like story and characters, or gameplay innovations. being big or large can be good, and most of the time it's a pro for a game, but it's not everything either.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
AAA = Big Budget, Big Production Values (Mostly visuals) and finally scope.

A game with fancy graphics like Hellblade will never be AAA because its scope is that of an indie game. It's a B game at best. Same goes for most Platinum games like Vanquish, Astral Chain and Nier.

I would say Gears 4, Halo 5, and Gears 5 are the only true AAA games released by MS first party this gen. State of Decay, Sea of Thieves and Crackdown fall short in different ways. All B games imo. Lacking in one way or another. Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Titanfall 1, and Scalebound if it ever came out, are what I consider AAA games. I used to think that AAA meant great reception by critics but I dont agree anymore. Anthem has a rating of 55 on metacritic, Ryse is at 60, order is at 59. I think they are all AAA to me. Just poorly received.

Is outriders an AAA game? Hard to say from what I played. it definitely has the scope and the budget, but it looks very mediocre. I would say its an AA game but i wouldnt get upset over other claiming its AAA either. Souls games, Borderlands, and fallout/skyrim etc. dont have great facial animations or cutscene quality, and yet they are all considered AAA. So why not.

It's still at the lower end of AAA. I dont think anyone is putting it up there with Gears, FF7, Destiny and the last of us. Hell, no one even heard about it before the DF comparisons.

ethomaz

Banned

A game with fancy graphics like Hellblade will never be AAA because its scope is that of an indie game. It's a B game at best. Same goes for most Platinum games like Vanquish, Astral Chain and Nier.

I would say Gears 4, Halo 5, and Gears 5 are the only true AAA games released by MS first party this gen. State of Decay, Sea of Thieves and Crackdown fall short in different ways. All B games imo. Lacking in one way or another. Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Titanfall 1, and Scalebound if it ever came out, are what I consider AAA games. I used to think that AAA meant great reception by critics but I dont agree anymore. Anthem has a rating of 55 on metacritic, Ryse is at 60, order is at 59. I think they are all AAA to me. Just poorly received.

Is outriders an AAA game? Hard to say from what I played. it definitely has the scope and the budget, but it looks very mediocre. I would say its an AA game but i wouldnt get upset over other claiming its AAA either. Souls games, Borderlands, and fallout/skyrim etc. dont have great facial animations or cutscene quality, and yet they are all considered AAA. So why not.

It's still at the lower end of AAA. I dont think anyone is putting it up there with Gears, FF7, Destiny and the last of us. Hell, no one even heard about it before the DF comparisons.
It become AAA the moment they announced it to Gamepass :messenger_fire:
Before that nobody said in this forum it was AAA.
That is how things works here lol

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Speaking about AAA games, something i hope Jimbo and Hermen are aware of games being too big and too large isn't always necessary, they are only it fits the vision of the devs, i personally usually love long games, but for example for tlou2 i felt the game was unnecessary long (i still think the game was good, but far from perfection, games like GOW or TLOU1 are waaaaaay better for example), of course there are cases when games are ridiculously short like RE3, and i'll take too long over too short, but good balance is good too. Imo Uncharted LL is the most well balanced ND game of the gen.

Shawn layden himself said something like that right during tlou2 launch (so when he wasn't at Sony anymore), i'm not saying i have the same knowledge as him on how to handle AAA games, but i really felt same way and agreed with him in this. Iconic and awesome games aren't necessarily so because they were big or large, but of course of many other things like story and characters, or gameplay innovations. being big or large can be good, and most of the time it's a pro for a game, but it's not everything either.
there was absolutely no reason for TLOU2 to be that long. 30 hours is insane. I always thought Mass Effect 2's 20 hour campaign was just right. You could extend it to 30 hours if you did all the quests, but if you wanted replay value, you had to replay the game. the combat and classes were diverse enough to keep you playing and different choices also kept things interesting on new playthroughs. However, keeping the campaign around 20 hours (with loyalty missions) was an excellent decision. It allowed them to finish the game in 2 years and kept it from feeling bloated or unpolished.

GoW is another game that didnt need to be 30 hours long. They had enough side content in there to keep you playing for another 10-15 hours after the campaign ended. so they shouldve just done a 20 hour campaign with 10-15 hours of additional content and NG+. Thats it. launch the game in 1/3rd the amount of time they took to make the game.

What they need to do is make NG+ and replays more rewarding and fun. Encourage people to replay games with new abilities, armor or even bosses. Just making them longer is actually hurting them because these games end up taking way too long to make.

Dang Forza does not even get a letter. 😢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom