• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart360

Just watch the video... the tearing is one of the worst I already saw in a Series X game.
I literally just watched it, its identicle on both. If you knew what you were talking about, you would no that the higher the framerate, the less tearing becomes obvious, as is the case here, very tiny tears that you can barely see, compared to massive tears when you have a game without vsync at a low framerate.
Neither version has vsync in the 120fps mode, hense the framerate being higher than 120.

ethomaz

Banned
I literally just watched it, its identicle on both. If you knew what you were talking about, you would no that the higher the framerate, the less tearing becomes obvious, as is the case here, very tiny tears that you can barely see, compared to massive tears when you have a game without vsync at a low framerate.
Neither version has vsync in the 120fps mode, hense the framerate being higher than 120.
The video shows the opposite of "the less tearing become obvious".

ethomaz

Banned
Like i said, you are seeing what you want to see.
Keep the smilies coming though boys.
It blow my mind that you can see half of the screen being cut off.
There are parts you see only half of the weapon and others you see two weapons.

OMG, i'm nott alking about that Sinper Elite pic you posted, i'm talking about the Rainbow 6 vid ffs.
Yeap Rainbow 6 video... my pic is just a example to how it is the worst screen tearing game since Sniper Elite 3 on Xbox One.
Maybe you are watching in a VRR screen :pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:

Interfectum

I'm really curious how Sony is going to answer for Game Pass as it continues to build momentum. I know right now PS5 is taking the sales lead but all Xbox needs is a few new key titles on Day One for Game Pass and those tides will start to turn. I feel like online discourse has already fully turned very positive for Xbox and I fully expect sales to show signs of this soon.

$70 for Ratchet and Clank or Returnal or whatever, no matter how good it looks, is a tough fucking purchase beside a service like Game Pass. There is no way in hell the "$70 game" survives this gen. Maybe GTA6 can sell at that but we are going to see a generation of bombs if every game stays that high.

Last edited:

Derift

Except of course when Sony purchases a developer those games are locked to a single device and with MS those games will continue to come out on the platform that made those games popular and multiple other devices unlike Sony. Unless the games were taken off of the PC nothing was removed from anyone.

Timed exclusives are far worse because you are paying to deny other platforms content for IP you don't own. MS bought the IP and have the right to do with it what they wish, in this case bolster their first party studios. Business is business.
the mental gymnastics to believe this is outstanding...

Thedtrain

I'm really curious how Sony is going to answer for Game Pass as it continues to build momentum. I know right now PS5 is taking the sales lead but all Xbox needs is a few new key titles on Day One for Game Pass and those tides will start to turn. I feel like online discourse has already fully turned very positive for Xbox and I fully expect sales to show signs of this soon.

$70 for Ratchet and Clank or Returnal or whatever, no matter how good it looks, is a tough fucking purchase beside a service like Game Pass. There is no way in hell the "$70 game" survives this gen. Maybe GTA6 can sell at that but we are going to see a generation of bombs if every game stays that high.
Competition is great for us as gamers. As a PS5/PC gamer, GP is going to do nothing but benefit me

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned

I think you underestimate the ability to buy the games you want. Not everyone wants to play whatever is on gamepass or PS now.

LiquidRex

This is what I'd like to see from Sony, full back catalogue of games upgraded via online ML with higher Res, FPS and added effects such as RT all part of PSN Subscription, say PSN platinum a slight increase in cost.

Who here would love to revist GPOLICE in 4K 60 fps plus RT.

Interfectum

I think you underestimate the ability to buy the games you want. Not everyone wants to play whatever is on gamepass or PS now.
And you are looking at Game Pass for what it is now (backlog of old games) vs what it will become (new, hyped Day 1 titles monthly / weekly / whatever).

I think a lot of people on GAF are in for a massive wake up call when MS starts rolling out new games instead of adding back catalog. The hype from Outriders is just a tiny taste of what's coming. If Sony doesn't have an answer to this by 2022/2023... well, good luck to them.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
And you are looking at Game Pass for what it is now (backlog of old games) vs what it will become (new, hyped Day 1 titles monthly / weekly / whatever).

I think a lot of people on GAF are in for a massive wake up call when MS starts rolling out new games instead of adding back catalog. The hype from Outriders is just a tiny taste of what's coming. If Sony doesn't have an answer to this by 2022/2023... well, good luck to them.
When gamepass becomes a service that has every game on it day one for a set fee, I’ll be all over it.
Until then, I’d rather play the games I want at a price I’m comfortable paying.

Mr Moose

Hype for Outriders? Where?

Interfectum

When gamepass becomes a service that has every game on it day one for a set fee, I’ll be all over it.
It could very well become that by next year depending on if they release games you like. But when 23 studios working full time to feed the GP machine with exclusives no doubt they will start to get a lot of gamer's attention that initially wrote off Game Pass as 'old games for cheap'

dcmk7

Banned
Not a peep from DM619 when MS was also doing timed exclusives.

"Business is business".

But he fails to see his own hyprocisy (which is actually very common) that the IP rights holder is allowed to do anything they want with the IP, so if they decided to take the cash and approve the timed exclusivity. How is that any different? 'Business is business' after all.

At least with timed exclusive the game will be accessible to all eventually.

But apparently this is far worse and anti consumer. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

FrankWza

Right. It’s first party games isn’t it? Are they going to have GTA6 and CoD and NBA 2K on day one? That’s a deal!

Mr Moose

The internet.
karl-pilkington-bullshit-gif-1.gif

saintjules

Gold Member
Anyone know for the PS5 if you copy video / screenshot files to a USB drive you can play a game in the background meanwhile? I went to the home screen while something was copying. Just don't see a status or anything happening to the overall progress.

the mental gymnastics to believe this is outstanding...
Mental gymnastics to think timed exclusives locking content you don't own away from other platforms is better than owning the IP and keeping that IP for your customers is worse. What IS better is putting games like Outriders on Gamepass day one. If a company was going to pay for content this is the way to do it.
"Business is business".

But he fails to see his own hyprocisy (which is actually very common) that the IP rights holder is allowed to do anything they want with the IP, so if they decided to take the cash and approve the timed exclusivity. How is that any different? 'Business is business' after all.

At least with timed exclusive the game will be accessible to all eventually.

But apparently this is far worse and anti consumer. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
There is no hypocrisy to dislike a company taking away IP they don't own from other platforms vs buying the IP and providing it to your customers. Sony does not own Street Fighter or Final Fantasy yet those IP are blocked because Sony pays to block them. MS owns Doom, Fallout and The Elder Scrolls. Sony has as much right to them as MS does to Ratchet and Clank or God of War. At least you don't have to buy an Xbox if you still want to play MS games. Options are nice.
A point often missed. Post acquisition, anything that doesn't hit the competing platforms is something that the new owner has paid the dev cost on, their product. A timed exclusive is basically playing keep-away with a finished product. Much worse, IMO. But everybody does both and always has. It is what it is.
Said it perfectly!

Derift

Mental gymnastics to think timed exclusives locking content you don't own away from other platforms is better than owning the IP and keeping that IP for your customers is worse. What IS better is putting games like Outriders on Gamepass day one. If a company was going to pay for content this is the way to do it.

There is no hypocrisy to dislike a company taking away IP they don't own from other platforms vs buying the IP and providing it to your customers. Sony does not own Street Fighter or Final Fantasy yet those IP are blocked because Sony pays to block them. MS owns Doom, Fallout and The Elder Scrolls. Sony has as much right to them as MS does to Ratchet and Clank or God of War. At least you don't have to buy an Xbox if you still want to play MS games. Options are nice.

Said it perfectly!
dude... buying out the ip locks it to a system timed exclusivity get it to the player at a later date... why is this so hard to grasp....how do you as a gamer benefit from this... jesus its as if Microsoft pays you for this...

ToadMan

I'm still waiting to play Sunset Overdrive on PS4, PS5....

Any day now.....still waiting......

Look, IMO the best scenario is 3rd party studios making exclusives for platform holders. Anything after that is not gonna be better overall. Some cases its better for the studio to get bought, some cases its better for the platform holder.

Some ppl dont need to defend anything their fav platform holder does.

Ppl that bring up Insomniac, its kind of telling that when the news first dropped, some were shocked because they did so many exclusives for Sony they thought they were already owned by Sony.

This conversation was in the context of a company taking well known multiplats exclusive ...

Sunset overdrive never appeared on PlayStation nor was a sequel made.

If only it had sold better on Xbox... but it didn’t.

In fact I’m fairly confident Sony won’t commission a sunset overdrive game - at least not an exclusive one - because it isn’t a PS brand. Never say never of course but that doesn’t seem to be Sony’s style. If MS want that IP it can probably be bought for not much from Sony.

dcmk7

Banned

Actually the IP rights holder has the right to do whatever they want with the IP.

So them deciding to take the money and agree timed exclusivity, is pure business.

Pure hypocrisy to dislike a company for doing this.

Your dislike would be better placed to the IP rights holder for allowing timed exclusivity. Maybe if the sales on other platforms were stronger than timed exclusivity would be less of a thing.

It's beyond stupid to dislike anything about that arrangement, and then defend a platform holder buying an entire distributor to prevent IP appearing on other consoles.

But then again. Xbox Fanatic. Defended price hike. Kinect. Makes sense.

ToadMan

what i was told was they were about to start closing studios if there wasn't a buyer.
Thinking about it - Sony had those 2 exclusives, Fallout as part of the PS collection and rumours of other stuff.

Seems Zeni were pimping themselves hard - I wonder if they wanted to be bought but Sony weren’t going that far and just funded some development instead.

MS was the next phone call and here we are.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I don't understand why some people losing their minds over Outriders is coming Day one on gamepass, that game is a perfect for gamepass model. I have a feeling it is also coming to ps plus in a short while.
Totally agree with this. From what I saw of the trailers and what I saw in the Demo itself, I definitely feel it's a GamePass and PSPlus likely type title. Nothing BAD about it and don't mean it that way, but it didn't come across as a "full" AAA big time title to me. At least from what I've seen. Which would make it a good candidate for these programs.

• Strength
Reactions: Rea
Actually the IP rights holder has the right to do whatever they want with the IP.

So them deciding to take the money and agree timed exclusivity, is pure business.

Pure hypocrisy to dislike a company for doing this.

Your dislike would be better placed to the IP rights holder for allowing timed exclusivity. Maybe if the sales on other platforms were stronger than timed exclusivity would be less of a thing.

It's beyond stupid to dislike anything about that arrangement, and then defend a platform holder buying an entire distributor to prevent IP appearing on other consoles.

But then again. Xbox Fanatic. Defended price hike. Kinect. Makes sense.
I never defended any price hike and I never bought a Kinect so you are 0 for 2. You are right it is pure business to block IP you don't own from platforms vs investing in the company, buying the IP and hiring all the employees. I always thought that people here preferred the investment route but perhaps I am wrong. I guess people here are perfectly fine with the MS/Zenimax deal just like I am. My deepest apologies. I prefer investment and I prefer Outriders-like deals where games hit Gamepass day 1. Much better than purely blocking things from other platforms. I'm sure even Sony fanatics would agree.

Can't wait to play Dead Rising 3 on my PS5 tonig... Oh wait.
Yup you got me! MS had different practices years ago. MS also didn't release games day and date on PC. MS also didn't put Dead rising 3 on Gamepass. I prefer the way MS does business TODAY vs years back. I wonder if any other platform holders will change?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Low budget game get on Gamepass on day one and it automatically become AAA lol

I’m not even sure why quoted me in that thread that just weighed my points in previous threads.

But hey the next FF is coming day one on Gamepass.
I'd like to see some receipts on outriders not being AAA.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Yup you got me! MS had different practices years ago. MS also didn't release games day and date on PC. MS also didn't put Dead rising 3 on Gamepass. I prefer the way MS does business TODAY vs years back. I wonder if any other platform holders will change?
You are aware they are still doing it now, right? There's timed exclusives all over the place. You don't seem to hate that though, weirdly.
What's GamePass got to do with anything?

LiquidRex

So PS5 owners that pre orded Outriders and have access to Gamepass, can now cancel the order, try the game on Gamepass and if it sucks, save themselves some cash. 🤦‍♂️

3liteDragon

00:00:00 Intro
00:01:56
Bethesda joins Microsoft
00:13:38
Switch Pro/Switch OLED follow-up discussion
00:18:09 First impressions on Apex Switch
00:22:53
High frame-rate updates (Overwatch, Samurai Shodown)
00:31:41 Does resolution really matter - and why focus on it?
00:47:14
Retro Corner: TMNT: Shredder's Revenge, NeoGeo Pocket screen mod, Tokyo Game Music Show
01:01:06 DF coverage from last week + Supporter Q+A

Last edited:
You are aware they are still doing it now, right? There's timed exclusives all over the place. You don't seem to hate that though, weirdly.
What's GamePass got to do with anything?
I do not like it when any company blocks IP they don't own from other platforms. I have NEVER said I like when MS does it and did not like it when Sony does it. That would be hypocrisy. People here were comparing Sony blocking FF to MS buying Zenimax and THAT I do not have a problem with. Buying IP and supporting your platform is not the same as simply denying IP you don't own. It is not that hard to understand. Game pass is the way MS chose to spend money with regards to Outriders. I prefer that to blocking IP.

dcmk7

Banned
I never defended any price hike and I never bought a Kinect so you are 0 for 2.

It's not exactly hard to search in this place dude. But I'm afraid you did..

They will ditch kinect right after Nintendo ditches their tablet on the Wii U as in never. The Kinect is the only thing that makes the X1 stand apart from the PS4. Are you guys really saying you are willing to pay the same for a weaker PS4? I highly doubt it.

They need to keep kinect but eat the cost, add more bonuses to X Live, add in some pack in titles or all/some of the above. Them dropping kinect would cost them so much more since they already spent tons in R&D. Kinect isn't going anywhere.

The Dark One

Certainly were defending Kinect hard back then!

Never going to drop it, how did that prediction work out? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

.. You'd figure those years subs would be gone since they dropped the year option from MS last year. I am not yet convinced that this is the end of the world. ..
Didn't even see the issue with the price hike.

So.. 2 for 2. :messenger_clapping:

You are right it is pure business to block IP you don't own from platforms vs investing in the company, buying the IP and hiring all the employees.

What do you think the money for timed exclusivity is used for? Is that not going to be money that is reinvested into the company? Or cover development costs?

Your argument is truly pitiful. Just because you want to defend Microsoft, anything they do, is all ok. Sad.

Last edited:

And how pray tell, would one prove this (without working for the publisher and knowing the precise publisher dev budget)?

What a dumb thing to ask people on a web forum for.

The game looks like shit. I'm sure it plays well, but graphically and visually it's awful. But it's made by a fairly small team... which is why I can easily see why people would think it's not a big AAA tentpole game. It simply doesn't have nearly the level of polish and production values as the games it's trying to ape, e.g. Destiny.

It's not exactly had to search in this place dude. But I'm afraid you did..

Certainly were defending Kinect hard back then!

Never going to drop it, how did that prediction work out? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Didn't even see the issue with the price hike.

So.. 2 for 2. :messenger_clapping:

What do you think the money for timed exclusivity is used for? Is that not going to be money that is reinvested into the company? Or cover development costs?

You're argument is truly pitiful. Just because you want to defend Microsoft, anything they do, is all ok. Sad.
I was wrong about Kinect when I made my comment 8 years ago. I still didn't buy it. I thought MS was too stubborn to remove a horrible device. Looks like I am not the Xbox fanatic I was made out to be and MS was a better company than I gave them credit for. Still has nothing to do with Zenimax vs blocking IP which was the original point.

You did not fully use my comment:
They removed the year option that is Still available at retailers everywhere. You'd figure those years subs would be gone since they dropped the year option from MS last year. I am not yet convinced that this is the end of the world. Nobody likes a price hike but this seems easily circumvented.
Hardly an endorsement or defense. "Nobody likes a price hike but this is easily circumvented". Turns out I was right and it was ended. I'll give you a 1/2 point because it was cool you found something I wrote so long ago so good for you!

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
I was wrong about Kinect when I made my comment 8 years ago. I still didn't buy it. I thought MS was too stubborn to remove a horrible device. Looks like I am not the Xbox fanatic I was made out to be and MS was a better company than I gave them credit for. Still has nothing to do with Zenimax vs blocking IP which was the original point.

You did not fully use my comment:

Hardly an endorsement or defense. "Nobody likes a price hike but this is easily circumvented". Turns out I was right and it was ended. I'll give you a 1/2 point because it was cool you found something I wrote so long ago so good for you!

Wow you tried to spin your way out of that. You thought they were too stubborn but defended them anyway?

Let me try again then here's..
Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

https://www.neogaf.com/posts/66678361/

I am curious why so many people want MS to remove the Kinect camera. Did you all feel the same way about the Wii and WiiU? Would those consoles be better if Nintendo didn't have any motion controls for their games?

I am not fond of the higher price but I do understand that MS is at least trying to innovate by making sure that their camera accessory is with every box so that any game that uses the camera would not have any potential customers left out. The camera is just another way to try to immerse gamers into the games we play. Not all games will make use of the camera the same way. I highly doubt Halo or Gears will come out requiring camera controls only. Did you not see the Xbox One controller? Do you not think that the vast majority of games will use it? Outside of the price I don't see the issue.

Not defending it there either? One of us must be lying.

And if that wasn't a defense of the price hike I don't know what is :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Do you try and out do yourself everyweek? As it does seem fairly often you say something which is so hypocritical, just in order to defend Microsoft, that everyone here is in sheer disbelief and rightly push back against it.

ethomaz

Banned
If that game is AAA then the devs had worst issues than CDPR with Cyberpunk.
No way they used $50--80 millions* on that game.

* The own definition of AAA by PeopleCanFly.

They is a reason why Reviewers are saying it is lacks the production value of AAA games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom