• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you know you can see it (on PS5), or at least I didn't saw anything which would be outlined as "ML block". It would be just RDNA 2 stuff, which then, it's RDNA 2 anyway...

Ok now I see what you're saying. Basically you're saying you don't see evidence of this in the actual APU. I guess it could be possible that it's inside the GPU and they are just highlighting it for marketing purposes. It would make sense if it's not easily visible like the I/O complex for example.

dcmk7

Banned
It's so weird to add conditionals instead of just acknowledging reality. Why not say 'ignoring the Xbox, the PS5 is the most technically advanced console on the market!' Also If people are going to knock the XSS, in many cases unfairly, might as well celebrate it when it can do things the more expensive PS5 cannot. 120fps is a current gen feature. Xbox appears to have more games running at this framerate. Full stop. Just like the PS5 having a faster SSD. It is what it is.
I thought XSS is targeting casuals and gamers on a budget?

To take advantage of that 120fps feature a casual gamer needs to have an expensive 4k TV, capable of 120fps, VRR as framerate drops are more jarring... how many gamers on a budget have that? Seems unlikely.

And let's say they do, they must be thrilled that games are running 1080p and occasionally lower, in that setup.

That sure is one hell of a niche audience, have to say.

Weird sentence you put in about PS5 SSD, that QoL improvement actually benefits every single PS5 owner.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

To take advantage of that 120fps feature a casual gamer needs to have an expensive 4k TV, capable of 120fps... how many gamers on a budget have that? Seems unlikely.

And let's say they do, they must be thrilled that games are running 1080p and occasionally lower, in that setup.

Weird sentence you put in about PS5 SSD, that QoL improvement actually benefits every single PS5 owner.
most tvs for the last 5 years have a native 120hz refresh rate. only issue is hardly any of them have an actual working vrr implementation.

VRR for the most part is broken on all current TV models. waitng for LG to have an actual fix for this in 2022 with their next line of Oleds

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I count games which were in cross-gen development or it received a nex-gen patch ( with 120fps mode, like THPS 1+2 ) for Xseries/PS5. If you want to count backward compatibility games to fill the list, be my guess
Pretty much.

I even used a comparison about the PS4 and XBO and BC months ago in a similar topic.

Its the same situation, just a different metric.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I know the XSX will probably have the best version. But hopefully the PS5 version ends up being extremely good.
I don't think that's true, I think the Metro Exodus was extremely close to each other (in terms of the possibilities on Console) and if they are bringing the features from Playstation to PC, I think they have it lock : )

To take advantage of that 120fps feature a casual gamer needs to have an expensive 4k TV, capable of 120fps, VRR as framerate drops are more jarring... how many gamers on a budget have that? Seems unlikely.

I thought the XSS was supposed to hold back gaming and set us back a generation. Someone even said it would perform worse and worse as the generation went on. It's not supposed to do anything better than more expensive options. Nothing you said changes the fact that it is the cheapest current gen console capable of doing things more expensive consoles can't. And this is all without using its current gen memory saving features. A person choosing to spend to spend $250 on an inexpensive monitor to take advantage of the consoles features accentuates the consoles budget target not diminishes my dude.

I wanted to give the PS5 credit for its fast SSD since it can be used by all PS5 customers when developers write code to take advantage of it. The 120 fps boost feature on the XSS is an option even when developers don't write a game with it in mind. Pretty great technology. Maybe Sony will adopt it.

Last edited:

How Dare You Greta GIF

Oh wait a minute I hope it's true.

Brother coil whine on his PS5 seems to have almost completely stopped last time I was over. Was there something done via software update? (Returnal is pretty sweet).

New drinking game: take a shot everytime Beavis types "I/O"

You really want me to kill people with alcohol poisoning?

Anyways Ratchet is coming out in June so it's going to be interesting to see if all the talk about the I/O is real or not.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

This is gonna be Sony’s true showcase for the PS5 next month.
sony wont be showing off god of war any time soon if their last two years are any representation.

we dont have gameplay for horizon
we dont have gameplay for GT7
we dont have gameplay for GOW.

we most likely wont have anything until a state of play later this year

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Please be true.

The game could be transformed by the SSD

SlimySnake SlimySnake
Didnt cory say that the boss fights between kratos and stranger were supposed to have them punch each other across the entire map into mountains? it would be amazing to have kratos and thor fly around all of midgard.

but I dont trust Jimbo. he was given the opportunity to confirm if it was next gen only and he declined to say which sounds like a non denial denial to me.

This is probably an April 2022 game so by then they shouldve sold around 25 million units which is probably all the hardcore who buy games on day one. i dont think they'd lose any sales by launching it only on the ps4.

sony wont be showing off god of war any time soon if their last two years are any representation.

A State of Play is too small of an event to show of a game of such big magnitude, people even speculated last year that several next-gen games last year would be revealed during a State of Play event and they were not. Sony love all the attention, they're divas lol it's plausible to speculate that they'll show off all those games you listed in the coming months during their next big event to counter E3 and whatever Xbox has stacked in their deck.

false

Sony showed off horizon fw a year ago

god of war is going to be their big reveal this summer

We know Sony focuses on one big game at a time until that game is released, then they focus on the next one. And that makes me wonder, after Ratchet, which one is their next big game? :pie_thinking: (my bet is on either Horizon or GOW) because I'm pretty sure whatever that game is it's going to be the star of their rumored summer event.

SlimySnake

Brother coil whine on his PS5 seems to have almost completely stopped last time I was over. Was there something done via software update? (Returnal is pretty sweet).

New drinking game: take a shot everytime Beavis types "I/O"
Played RE8 without my headphones the other day while they were charging. it was late at night so i had my soundbar volume down and i could easily here the damn coil whine. first time ive noticed it in a while.

kyliethicc

We have GT7 gameplay from June 2020.

Direct feed gameplay, with HUD, 4K60. Menus, etc.

Starts @ 2 mins in.

Last edited:
most tvs for the last 5 years have a native 120hz refresh rate. only issue is hardly any of them have an actual working vrr implementation.

VRR for the most part is broken on all current TV models. waitng for LG to have an actual fix for this in 2022 with their next line of Oleds
No they don't. They may advertise 120/240 motion interpolation, but they actually still only have 60hz panels.

dcmk7

Banned
I thought the XSS was supposed to hold back gaming and set us back a generation. Someone even said it would perform worse and worse as the generation went on. It's not supposed to do anything better than more expensive options. Nothing you said changes the fact that it is the cheapest current gen console capable of doing things more expensive consoles can't. And this is all without using its current gen memory saving features. A person choosing to spend to spend $250 on an inexpensive monitor to take advantage of the consoles features accentuates the consoles budget target not diminishes my dude.

I wanted to give the PS5 credit for its fast SSD since it can be used by all PS5 customers when developers write code to take advantage of it. The 120 fps boost feature on the XSS is an option even when developers don't write a game with it in mind. Pretty great technology. Maybe Sony will adopt it.
Some very credible developers have said it would hold back gaming.

I don't see how some (often unstable) 120fps titles at a low resolution, on predominantly old generation of games, changes the XSS memory contraints. Do you?

Nothing you said changes the fact that it is the cheapest current gen console capable of doing things more expensive consoles can't.

If you going to keep doing this, how about getting a PS5DE for just £100 more gets you a future proof 4k gaming console, uncompromised versions of games, over twice as powerful as well double the storage.

Can you name me a cheaper gaming console that's as powerful?

bitbydeath

sony released a trailer back at launch and they said the horizon footage was cutscene and not representative of gameplay.
That never happened.

I think it showed a lot of gameplay,
-Horizon 1 has shown similar styled gameplay clips;
-The trailer was confirmed to be captured directly from a PS5;
-A lot of the footage shown wouldn’t make sense to be non-playable segments.

SlimySnake

Was that for the entire trailer or just for HFW and Miles Morales on the beginning?

The message doesn't appear with the other parts with Miles Morales and HFW.
dont know. the entire trailer is cutscenes. the demon souls dragon bit is all CG and the returnal opening crash is also CG in the final game.

Sony for some reason is extremely open about exclusivity and cutscenes in their trailer. they released another trailer where they literally listed out the exclusivity detail of every single game in the trailer. for example, spiderman miles is a Playstation exclusive but the small print says also on PS4. Same for horizon. But ratchet, gt7 and demon souls are all PS5 exclusives, no small print.

Project Athia? PS5 Console Exclusive. Small print says its also on PC and exclusive for 24 months. Death loop and Ghsotwire tokyo same thing, but its only exclusive for 12 months.

It's kinda refreshing tbh.
R&C cutscenes are all realtime so in all likelyhood the horizon footage we saw was also realtime, but its not gameplay according to sony themselves.

Some very credible developers have said it would hold back gaming.

I don't see how some (often unstable) 120fps titles at a low resolution, on predominantly old generation of games, changes the XSS memory contraints. Do you?

If you going to keep doing this, how about getting a PS5DE for just £100 more gets you a future proof 4k gaming console, uncompromised versions of games, over twice as powerful as well double the storage.

Can you name me a cheaper gaming console that's as powerful?
We've had this discussion before but no one but overzealous Sony fans made claims about the XSS 'holding back gaming'. No dev worth his/her salt would make that claim without fully utilizing the features of the device first. Especially on a dev kit that was incomplete. You are well aware that the XSS has not had all its memory saving features used.

Looking at the list of 120 fps currently available for the PS5 it looks like there are already compromises being made on that platform. What ever steps are taken to make the feature work on the XSS it is currently available in much larger quantities than a console that is more expensive. This is a fact no matter how many memory issues are brought up. It is a budget console afterall. Perhaps it's 'punching above its weight'?

I can name a cheaper console that currently runs more games at 120fps and in some cases with games like, Biomutant, run at higher resolutions too. As many here say power on paper is meaningless when in execution that power isn't really usable. XSS, the 'worse' performing platform on the market, has features and performance that more expensive platforms lack. Not too shabby for the console that will end console gaming as we know it. 😉

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

What people are forgetting is it wasn't just a visual "downgrade" from the teaser trailer from 2018 it was also the lack of polish in animations, textures physics/destruction. Let's not also forget what they claimed after a few weeks of questioning what system it was demo played on was apparently a mid range work PC that wasn't designed for gaming but basic work needs. So failure to show it on the XSX or high end gaming PC was also a misstep on their part. To put it in to contrast with the 2016 live gameplay demo of God Of War how polished and visually great that looked it stunned us all. Hell even the Spider-Man game too it was a failure of a presentation to get that wow gotcha moment not some 5 minute put together in the last minute because you overslept the day of your presentation. For what is supposed to be their biggest IP and was aiming to be the system seller given it was their main launch title and really was to be their only real 1st party game for at least a year they took no pride in it or treated it so it was more left out to die.

God of War wasn't even trying to sell a new system as the PS4 was already established at this point whereas XBOX needed this to shine as Halo's franchise had been on the decline, new hardware with new possibilities and to try and re surge after a poor XBOX One launch.
Those teaser trailers do nothing but create false expectations. Today we know they are all outsourced CGIs, not even made by MS studios. For all complaining Nintendo and Sony got for showing just a logo(Metroid Prime 4/GOW Ragnarok), I'm beginning to think it's better to just know a game is officially being made with no other info at all than to watch something that won't be the final product for sure. Better wait for real gameplay when the game has enough polish like they did with GOW reveal on 2016.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
True, but the "silicon" cost is somewhat....so where is then?
There's no explicit 'ML acceleration' silicon, it's a set of Integer operations that mainstream CPU SIMD implementations had since mid 90ies (or if you want to look at consoles specifically - since March 2000). As this is part of execution units, there's no separate blocks to look for, silicon cost would be reflected on shader units being slightly larger (it's debatable if the difference would be big enough to easily measure off a die-shot, plus where'd you get a reference block that's identical in every other respect?).

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
There's no explicit 'ML acceleration' silicon, it's a set of Integer operations that mainstream CPU SIMD implementations had since mid 90ies (or if you want to look at consoles specifically - since March 2000). As this is part of execution units, there's no separate blocks to look for, silicon cost would be reflected on shader units being slightly larger (it's debatable if the difference would be big enough to easily measure off a die-shot, plus where'd you get a reference block that's identical in every other respect?).
There is written "small area cost" which at least to me implies some special part of the APU reserved for this...

???

7sxxIAs.jpg

credit sncvsrtoip sncvsrtoip for catching the small print.

That is annoying, that was one of my favourite shots through out the trailer as well.

I'm extremely curious to see how this game looks on the PS5 hardware, if it looks anything like these shots then we're in for a treat even though it's a cross-gen title. The additional optimisations especially around the load times, haptics and 3D audios will be a cherry on top.

Although if check the HFW page on the Playstation website, there are several gorgeous shots which were "captured on the PS5" such as these.

4OxLVJZ.jpg

BKW4yU7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom