• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

Just curious and you guys probably talked about it already but why didn't Dez get flagged or a sideline warning on that flag play. Or did they call sideline warning?

JNA

Banned
Well now seems like a good time to finally play Shadow of Mordor.

Buckethead, I look forward to your thread. :D

Talking with other friends and co-workers as well as people on the board here, I feel like there's sort of a fundamental disconnect somewhere about how some of us view the team. Is it a defeatist attitude to look at a matchup between two teams and their situations and say "I think the Lions will lose this game"? That's a prediction, not a life's mantra.

I consider myself a Lions fan. Why? Because they're my local team, they're the team I follow the most and the team that I want most to succeed. But that doesn't preclude me from looking at how the team itself is composed and how they play from game to game, and trying to come up with an actual evaluation of their performance. If they play a game and look great and look like a team that can actually contend for a title against the other best teams in the league, then I'll root and cheer and be excited as much as any fan. But if I look at the team and don't honestly see that capability, I'm also not going to blind myself to their issues and lie to myself that the team is something that it's not. That's just setting yourself up for even harsher disappointments. I'm a harsh critic of theirs sometimes, but lack of criticism and foresight is how you wind up with a decade of Millen. Invest in the team, but if you invest too much, you tend to lose the objectivity needed to make the right calls about what's going to happen.

The ending is lame, but this has been one of the most entertaining seasons for me in years, even if most of the games left me feeling very...."myeh." I expect I'll be even harder on the team next year, because I really want Caldwell to prove himself. Give me less to worry about, Jim.

I guess It's cool to be a out of town fan(Fuck those rules root for who you want to) so I don't feel this way. Plus yeah I'm a little heated about the outcome but I'll get over it. At least we were in the tournament this time. I'm always gonna root for my team to win cause they're good enough to. That's just me then I'm just out the loop and will gladly stay out the loop on this.

Bessy67

Just curious and you guys probably talked about it already but why didn't Dez get flagged or a sideline warning on that flag play. Or did they call sideline warning?
The explanation is that the refs were horrible. Serioulsy, replacement refs fail mary level awful. And the funny thing is Mike Perirra called it before the game when he was talking about how these aren't the normal officiating teams.

Fantomex

I guess It's cool to be a out of town fan(Fuck those rules root for who you want to) so I don't feel this way. Plus yeah I'm a little heated about the outcome but I'll get over it. At least we were in the tournament this time. I'm always gonna root for my team to win cause they're good enough to. That's just me then I'm just out the loop and will gladly stay out the loop on this.

You and Lions Gaf are good peoples. It's that Voldermort that ruins it for ya'll.

It doesn't negate garbage calls, and you can recognize a garbage call for what it is, but so much salt being sprayed about how "waaaah the refs gave Dallas the game because of that no-call!" or all the claims of Jerry Jones money or NFL scheduling illuminati ultimately stacks up to a great big pile of nothing. They're not going to review the tape and decide that the Lions will go on to face Seattle instead. People can bitch if they want to, but knowing that nothing practical comes of it, all it does is...well, make you a bitch. (ed: just to be clear the "you" here is a general term, not meant to refer to the quoted in particular. I got your back Plinko)

Why not focus on all of the other plays in the game that were detrimental to the Lions? How about Stafford fumbling the ball twice on the final drive, only getting the second attempt at it because Dallas' recovery was as inept as the fumble was in the first place? How about let's not bill the defense as "elite" when they open up and start getting gashed by Murray in the third quarter and beyond? Nope, clearly the entire focus of the game comes down to one or two plays that the referees made strange calls on. That's just an excuse so that we don't have to criticize our actual players when they fail to get the job done.

Bear in mind, I've said for weeks now that this Lions team exceeded my expectations record-wise from where I expected them to be at the start of the year. I didn't expect them to make the playoffs in the first place, so this game was a freebie to me as it pertains to the long-term health of the team. The focus now is how to rebuild the defense once Ndamukong Suh walks and Teryl Austin is hired on as a head coach elsewhere. We also need to figure out how to make this offense consistent with an inherently-inconsistent quarterback we can't afford to get rid of. I'm not wasting more time on this game, I'm curious to see how the rest of the playoffs play out and otherwise my thinking is geared towards getting the Lions to avoid this kind of lame exit next year.

I'm mad but like I said, the offense didn't show up in the second half. One more score and we win that game.

Off season:

-Let Suh walk. He played like a man possessed today, he deserves to be paid big bucks...but we simply cannot afford him. Even franchising him would cripple our ability to fix this team's weaknesses - namely the secondary and o-line.

-Re-sign Fairley. He played well when he was healthy, his weight issue seems to be resolved, and more importantly he showed maturity. His injury could allow us to offer a cheaper deal than we might have if he was healthy.

-Fix the o-line. Injuries decimated us and we need some more depth. Cut Raiola, cut Sims. Whether through the draft or FA we need an upgrade at guard.

-Cut Bush. I've seen enough. Yes the o-line is done, but he doesn't seem to "get" that he's not 25 anymore. The endless cutting and stutter steps result in more 0-2yd gains than anything. Riddick is a better receiver and hopefully can improve as a runner, with a better o-line. I'd also draft an RB within the first four rounds.

-Address the secondary. Slay is developing well, and Mathis had a really good year...but he will be 35 next year. It's time to replace him. We've drafted many CBs over the last few years, it seems like only Slay is worth anything...I'd rather target one in FA than draft another.

Very insightful reads, especially on what moves should be made for the Lions. I agree that after being stuck in mediocrity during Schwartz's tenure that Caldwell turning it around with a double digit win season is pretty impressive. Suh going to make mad money since the Bucs made Gerald McCoy the highest-paid defensive tackle, best to let him walk especially if the reports are true that he wants out, and the tag costing about $26 million.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL...Jason La Canfora was texted a photo of the no-call PI play from a high-ranking NFL executive.

10917038_922909864393574_4726115766055955721_n.jpg

thread
right call
should of been explanation though

#RoarRestored

So after the first quarter Stafford had 3 TO's and no TDs against that terrible Cowboys D. So Elite!!!!!

Did kas make a post after the game yet?

Talking with other friends and co-workers as well as people on the board here, I feel like there's sort of a fundamental disconnect somewhere about how some of us view the team. Is it a defeatist attitude to look at a matchup between two teams and their situations and say "I think the Lions will lose this game"? That's a prediction, not a life's mantra.

I consider myself a Lions fan. Why? Because they're my local team, they're the team I follow the most and the team that I want most to succeed. But that doesn't preclude me from looking at how the team itself is composed and how they play from game to game, and trying to come up with an actual evaluation of their performance. If they play a game and look great and look like a team that can actually contend for a title against the other best teams in the league, then I'll root and cheer and be excited as much as any fan. But if I look at the team and don't honestly see that capability, I'm also not going to blind myself to their issues and lie to myself that the team is something that it's not. That's just setting yourself up for even harsher disappointments. I'm a harsh critic of theirs sometimes, but lack of criticism and foresight is how you wind up with a decade of Millen. Invest in the team, but if you invest too much, you tend to lose the objectivity needed to make the right calls about what's going to happen.

The ending is lame, but this has been one of the most entertaining seasons for me in years, even if most of the games left me feeling very...."myeh." I expect I'll be even harder on the team next year, because I really want Caldwell to prove himself. Give me less to worry about, Jim.

You can tell who are the long time Seahawks fan in Seattle and who's on the bandwagon.

Anyone who follow Seattle teams know before last year SB our last championship in a major sport (NBA, MLB, NFL) was in 1979 and that was our only one. So generally most of us are pretty pessimistic, but this new age of Seahawks fan think Russell is the next Montana, and our defense is the 85 Bears or 00 Ravens (which might turn out to be true, but not yet). I love my Hawks but I can't watch our local coverage of it at all it's so much dick slurping on the level of Kas that it drives me insane.

Top Bottom