• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 1 |OT| - Look, Are You Ready for Some Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyBoy

Yep, played with no urgency today and it's on him

It's not just today... It's been the last 4 regular season games.

- Kirk has been truly exposed for what he is and isn't. He's a QB that needs the correct pieces around him, there's nothing wrong with that. That being said, I'd let him walk. He's a bit of a choke artist at this point.

- Gruden's inability to prepare his teams. In the final game of last season, against a Giants team that had nothing to play for... His team came out flat with their playoff hopes on the line. He's 0-4 in season openers, with 3 of this at home.

- Gruden is supposed to be some sort of offensive mastermind but his run game f*cking sucks. It's been absolute trash since they got away from the Shanahan run scheme.

On a brighter note, the defense looks improved. It's no longer bottom of the barrel it seems.

Forcing a young QB who's not ready into the game is a bad decision. Doing so when the offensive line is Swiss cheese is playing Russian roulette. Doing both of those things two quarters into the season makes you look like an indecisive fool who doesn't know how to evaluate the QB position. The whole situation is ridiculous

That's two season's now O'Brien's done that. Remember when he was supposed to be some kind of QB whisperer?

Wonder how long it's going to take for him to push some of the blame onto Rick Smith.

DMVfan123

Banned
It's not just today... It's been the last 4 regular season games.

- Kirk has been truly exposed for what he is and isn't. He's a QB that needs the correct pieces around him, there's nothing wrong with that. That being said, I'd let him walk. He's a bit of a choke artist at this point.

- Gruden's inability to prepare his teams. In the final game of last season, against a Giants team that had nothing to play for... His team came out flat with their playoff hopes on the line. He's 0-4 in season openers, with 3 of this at home.

- Gruden is supposed to be some sort of offensive mastermind but his run game f*cking sucks. It's been absolute trash since they got away from the Shanahan run scheme.

On a brighter note, the defense looks improved. It's no longer bottom of the barrel it seems.

Having Spencer Long and Shawn Lauvao on the interior offensive live will do that to you. Even if you don't want to spend high draft capital on the O-line because Gruden will blow a gasket, why not splurge on a free agent like Ron Leary, instead of wasting $15 million on Terrell McClain?

SonnyBoy

Having Spencer Long and Shawn Lauvao on the interior offensive live will do that to you. Even if you don't want to spend high draft capital on the O-line because Gruden will blow a gasket, why not splurge on a free agent like Ron Leary, instead of wasting $15 million on Terrell McClain?

He just seems so f*cking reluctant to make roster moves. Start the rookie center and move Long over to LG. Lauvao has been garbage for the last 2 seasons, let's move on. You need to play your best 5 linemen. Move Trent to LG and play Nyseke at LT.

Brian Mitchell called the interior of the line "soft", he said it directly to Jay's face. I wish I had seen the video of it, you could tell he was offended. But it's true, the truth hurts.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
OB is dead man walking. Savage pressured on almost 80% of his drop backs. Going to Watson was a huge mistake that now will likely cost him his job

I literally have no clue what the hell happened to the defense

All 3 TEs on the roster are now in concussion protocol with a total of 6 players with concussions and they play again in 4 days...

The offensive line, other than center, is in shambles

Media members here who try tp always find the bright side cant defend it because there were absolutely no positives

Was hoping the city could find some joy in sports with everything going on so that kinda bums me out.

Fucking Houston sports.

Also looks like gata is getting hit now by Irma. Stay safe!

Striker

Brian Mitchell called the interior of the line "soft", he said it directly to Jay's face. I wish I had seen the video of it, you could tell he was offended. But it's true, the truth hurts.
Sounds like McAdoo and the situation on the OL. How the hell can John Jerry continue to have a job even when others have played 1st string snaps in pre-season, and performed well at it? He's constantly getting into bad plays or penalties - every game. But he's reluctant to admit it's a problem publicly. He never did last year. You can defend your team and still just say they are not playing well.

effzee

When did Reid leave? I assume Graham was doing nothing during the Chip era.

Actually he was considered a bust under Reid and they thought he would be cut under Chip cause he wanted to a run a 3-4. Graham has emerged since Chip and continues to do so.

Can't believe Long missed a sack yesterday. He had Cousins and completely missed.

No team had a worse week one than the Texans. It's not even close. They had Super Bowl aspirations and now they have nothing. Not even a high draft pick to look forward to

The crowd was super pumped up too due to the first game after the hurricane and Watt finally playing again
But then everything went savage

Revenge of the Bork

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Offensive line play is important. Who knew?

Also, do we need to put out an apb for Texans-gaf? Have any of them posted since their destruction at the hands of team gata?

I did! I hardly post here anymore though. I'm usually in the nfl discord instead.

Texans will do better. :)

Rvaan

Banned
Offensive line play is important. Who knew?

Also, do we need to put out an apb for Texans-gaf? Have any of them posted since their destruction at the hands of team gata?
We're still here despite the best efforts of BoB to kill us. That might be the worst game in franchise history when you consider the circumstances.

DMVfan123

Banned
Sounds like McAdoo and the situation on the OL. How the hell can John Jerry continue to have a job even when others have played 1st string snaps in pre-season, and performed well at it? He's constantly getting into bad plays or penalties - every game. But he's reluctant to admit it's a problem publicly. He never did last year. You can defend your team and still just say they are not playing well.

Giants got dealt a bad hand in the 2016 draft when the Titans jumped ahead to draft Jack Conklin
and the Bears jumped ahead to draft Floyd a pick later

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I have the solution for the Texans. Trade for the only qb that BoB has ever had success with:

940x.jpg

SonnyBoy

So I believe that as a HC, you have to find a good middle ground. You need to show faith in your players and allow them to work out the kinds in their game. But you also have to know when to pull the plug and give another player a chance, even if it's just a ploy to motivate the underachiever.

I think the players love Jay for that but he has to become more hard-nosed if he wants to hang around.

Sephzilla

I've always wondered why the NFL hasn't tried to push another Green Bay style franchise. Take some moderately sized midwest town that's small enough to not be a "metropolis" but big enough to fill up a stadium. Get the community to rally around having SOMETHING they can do other than your typical small town redneck bullshit.

Curious to see what they do if neither LA team really winds up working out.

Because the NFL doesn't wan't another Green Bay style franchise. Publicly traded teams are not allowed in the NFL anymore and Green Bay is simply grandfathered through that rule since they were already publicly traded before the rule was in place. The NFL wants greedy rich owners in big cities. This is also probably why Lambeau Field will never host a Super Bowl. The Green Bay/Appleton infrastructure isn't really suited to hosting such a massive event like a Super Bowl.

On the bright side, however, it means the Packers are never leaving Green Bay

Bronx-Man

Banned
Forcing a young QB who's not ready into the game is a bad decision. Doing so when the offensive line is Swiss cheese is playing Russian roulette. Doing both of those things two quarters into the season makes you look like an indecisive fool who doesn't know how to evaluate the QB position. The whole situation is ridiculous
If only there was a SB-level QB on the market just waiting to be signed...

Rvaan

Banned
I did enjoy seeing Watson play though. :D The kid is gonna be something great I think.
Watson has it. He showed some great play making ability with his legs in not just running for yards but in extending plays too. There were some rookie moments in there too; but that's to be expected.

LJ11

No team had a worse week one than the Texans. It's not even close. They had Super Bowl aspirations and now they have nothing. Not even a high draft pick to look forward to

It's week 1, but they got pushed around up front. Still early, Bears should have beaten the Falcons, discount everything from week 1 and move on.

A_Dang

I'm going to do everything I can to savor this week of the Bills being #1 in the AFC East.

That said, if McCoy gets hurt the team is dead...

squicken

With the Vikings this year I have told myself that there's no way the offensive line can be worse than it was last year. But seeing teams who had trouble last year on the offensive line continue to have trouble this year, I think that is not necessarily so

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The Monday after the first game is always great here.

I don't know if there's ever as large of a group on GAF where people really sit and reflect on what they're doing with their lives than when the realization hits that their shitty team is still shitty yet another season.

I imagine Browns fans sitting around looking at all of their Browns stuff and wondering what's it all for? Bears fans sitting outside on the stoop smoking a cigarette staring blankly into space wondering if they can put up with this shit for another year. Bengals fans clutching their Andy Dalton jersey and feeling betrayed over broken promises of a supposedly elite quarterback.

The existential crisises can be cut with a knife!

Gobias

Banned

I don't know if there's ever as large of a group on GAF where people really sit and reflect on what they're doing with their lives than when the realization hits that their shitty team is still shitty yet another season.

I imagine Browns fans sitting around looking at all of their Browns stuff and wondering what's it all for? Bears fans sitting outside on the stoop smoking a cigarette staring blankly into space wondering if they can put up with this shit for another year. Bengals fans clutching their Andy Dalton jersey and feeling betrayed over broken promises of a supposedly elite quarterback.

We did it though

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

That's when you eat whataburger and everything is right in the world again.

I just drink heavily and go on with life.

Slythe

I'm experiencing some serious Monday blues after that display the Bengals offense put on.

All of our offensive issues from last year were dialed up to 11, despite more talent and 100% healthy weapons.

How do you take an offense with AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, Tyler Boyd, Giovanni Bernard, Jeremy Hill, and Joe Mixon and put up a goose egg on opening day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom