• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason thread (i.e. Niners pre-superbowl domination thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

The Steel Curtain wil rise again the Steelers will win the Superbowl!!!!!

We are going to avenge our humiliating defeat to the Pats in 2000. Granted we don't have a quarterback to throw the ball to our awesome recievers or a line to protect the QB or any chance to defend against the pass, etc. :(

There's little doubt the NFC South is the toughest division in football.

Just like it was supposed to be last year, right? There's plenty of doubt to go around. While I think Tampa Bay is due for a rebound and I like Carolina's team alot (John Fox is an excellent coach) I have plenty of doubts about how consistent Atlanta and New Orleans will be. Mike Vick is a huge X Factor for the Falcons but he really needs to develop further as a passer. If he continues to rely on his feet to bail himself out he'll probably end up on the injured reserve again. New Orleans has good offensive talent but as was mentioned before, Brooks has been more of a liability when they need him to step up. If he continues to struggle who else on their depth chart do they have to step in?

I think the AFC East is going to be the strongest division top to bottom this year. The Patriots obviously have a hell of a team, the Dolphins are always competitive(given the right climate;)), the Jets can't be counted out as long as they've got a healthy Pennington and Herm Edwards pushing the right buttons, and the Bills offense should bounce back with Mularkey at the helm.

I agree w/afc east.
I would list the toughest divisions from top to bottom in this order:

1. AFC EAST
2. AFC SOUTH
3. NFC EAST
4. AFC WEST
5. NFC SOUTH
6. NFC WEST
7. NFC NORTH
8. AFC NORTH

mods, ban souljas avatar! he's supporting drunk driving and cheap shots!

plus its over the size limit, the rams in avatar size limit which is 0 if i recall correctly

13075143.jpg

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...un17,0,4319966.story?coll=bal-sports-football

NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Super Bowl Most Valuable Player. Fashion designer.

Ray Lewis' Hall of Fame resume got a little more colorful yesterday when the Ravens unveiled a new all-black uniform that will be worn once this season. The All-Pro linebacker suggested the idea to owner Steve Bisciotti during a practice last year and played a role in the final look of the uniform.

The Ravens will debut the dark jerseys and pants at their Nov. 7 nationally televised (night) home game against the Cleveland Browns.

"This allows us to come out with a totally different swagger," Lewis said. "It's an intimidation factor. You come out dressed in all black with a swarm of 53 men, that could be exciting.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
soulja224466 said:
I agree w/afc east.
I would list the toughest divisions from top to bottom in this order:

1. AFC EAST
2. AFC SOUTH

Nice to see some respect for the AFC South there. It's going to be a brutal division this year, with the Jags and Texans showing serious improvement and the Colts and Titans... well, still being the Colts and Titans.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
AFC East should have been the most competitive division for the past two years, but Miami always falls apart and Buffalo just played like hell. I'd put it more near the middle of the pack, there are far too many question marks coming out of there.

Two seasons ago it was the most competitive, but everybody was 9-7.

iapetus said:
Nice to see some respect for the AFC South there. It's going to be a brutal division this year, with the Jags and Texans showing serious improvement and the Colts and Titans... well, still being the Colts and Titans.

The jags seem to be the popular dark horse pick this year, I think they will be much improved as well. Texans were decent last year, if they step it up a notch, this might be *the* toughest division in football.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
My Jets are getting there--they got much younger and quicker on D w/ the draft and added some size at WR. If Chad stays healthy, we can make some noise.

Odoul

Those black Ravens uniforms look badass. They actually look intimidating, unlike the Jags or Bengal which just look cheap.

effzee

Odoul said:
Those black Ravens uniforms look badass. They actually look intimidating, unlike the Jags or Bengal which just look cheap.

is it just me or do they not look nfl-esque? i mean they look something out of the AFL or even the XFL....nfl uniforms usually have two colors...and i dont know if i like the look....eventhough its for a few games.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
effzee said:
is it just me or do they not look nfl-esque? i mean they look something out of the AFL or even the XFL....nfl uniforms usually have two colors...and i dont know if i like the look....eventhough its for a few games.

I would think it might be just for one game a season. Texans have the "Battle Red" jerseys that are all red tops and white pants, I believe. They look "nefl-esque" as well. But when you go to the Texan game where they wear it, the place is decked out with almost every fan wearing them. A heck of a sight, and alot of money spent on them.

effzee

yeah the eagles have one also. like midnight green jersey and midnight green pants. i guess it works for one game but overall i dont like it.

btw...if any mod is reading...can i change my account name to midnight green? is that possible?

you can't laugh in the face of domination. 5-0 in superbowls friends! what about the rams? 1-2! what a joke! and that one victory was a fluke. the rams always have been and always will be a fluke team. they have no decent system for drafting, no track record with signing key free agents, no line of decent coaches to takes martz' place after they finish 4-12 this year... i can't wait to see all these rams bandwagoners jump off. not saying you soulja, you are a legit fan, but lets be realistic, there weren't many legit rams fans here in los angeles back then. and there weren't many when tony banks was starting Q... adios rams! bulger + martz = sealed your doom

andthebeatgoeson

FrenchMovieTheme said:
you will be laughed off this board if you change your username to midnight green!

Hey hey, leave my lone Eagles compadre alone. Hey everybody, it wouldn't be a 2:35 am post if I didn't pronounce one thing: I'm drunk and my spelling is good. But not my grammar
Wha...this year will be a great NFL year. Now all we need is Chiefs fans to talk shit and it will be a great year.

effzee

FrenchMovieTheme said:
you will be laughed off this board if you change your username to midnight green!

how come? midnight green is an awesome intimidating color.

and skinny is right...we need someone like palsy to come in and talk shit about how the cheifs are so awesome.

What the hell is midnight green anyway. That's the dumbest name for a color. I can understand Midnight BLACK, but midnight green? What's that, the color of night vision lenses?

Best colors of all time is silver and black. It's simple, and we wear our dark colors at home. I'd rather we just wear black and silver everywhere, fucking NFL.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Plus, you can wipe away your tears after your team loses in the Championship Game again with a midnight green jersey and people won't know you were crying.

Solid, one color uniforms look bad (unless they're white). They just do.

effzee

Guileless said:
Plus, you can wipe away your tears after your team loses in the Championship Game again with a midnight green jersey and people won't know you were crying.

Solid, one color uniforms look bad (unless they're white). They just do.

as opposed to wiping tears at the end of the season? or when fassel usually makes his gurantee? or after week 1 this season when eagles beat the crap out of the giants?

Guileless

Zing! I'm new to the rooting interests of the NFC East, but I'm learning. That will be an interesting Week 1 matchup indeed. You too will learn to rue the day a Manning lined up against your team.

as opposed to wiping tears at the end of the season? or when fassel usually makes his gurantee? or after week 1 this season when eagles beat the crap out of the giants?

let me tell you something from past experience: i'd rather not make the playoffs than lose in the nfc championship. yeah, it's more respectable, but it is so demoralizing (as a fan and a player) to lose one step away from the superbowl. i remember in the early 90's when we lost back to back nfc championships to the cowgirls... it sucked balls. thankfully i was only 10 or 11, cause if the niners lost back to back NFC titles today i would probably murder myself.

the good news for eagles fans is that they won't be returning to the nfc title game this year. and even if they do, they will be a poor mans buffalo bills for the new generation... i say poor mans because at least the bills MADE it to the superbowl.

andthebeatgoeson

effzee said:

rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif

You rawk, wrot and woot...all at the same time.

Manning will rue the day he has to line up against this man:
briandawkins.jpg

Guileless

04_0617_hm.jpg

Giants QB Eli Manning demonstrates how he plans to stop Eagle DBs from using their cheap shot tactics, which are widely expected to be Philly's only defense against the Manning aerial assault.

Matlock

Banned
AFC North will be interesting this year, guys! The Browns may have a steady QB for once! The Bengals are coming off of last year's decent season! The Ravens are still assholes!

...and Pittsburgh, well Cowher will be employed for the next 20 years, even if he does only win 40 games in that span.

Matlock said:
"The pride and presence of a professional football team is far more important than 30 libraries."

-Art Modell, super genius...fat bitch...traitor to Ohio

Who is this Modell guy? The Ravens are owned by Steve Biscotti. Modell? I don't know any Modell. :p

effzee

FrenchMovieTheme said:
let me tell you something from past experience: i'd rather not make the playoffs than lose in the nfc championship. yeah, it's more respectable, but it is so demoralizing (as a fan and a player) to lose one step away from the superbowl. i remember in the early 90's when we lost back to back nfc championships to the cowgirls... it sucked balls. thankfully i was only 10 or 11, cause if the niners lost back to back NFC titles today i would probably murder myself.

the good news for eagles fans is that they won't be returning to the nfc title game this year. and even if they do, they will be a poor mans buffalo bills for the new generation... i say poor mans because at least the bills MADE it to the superbowl.

well duh a loss is a loss and it hurts when the season ends. but ill be damned if a giants fan is going to talk smack.

and i dont know if the eagles will make it to the nfc champ game again this yr...but they sure as hell have a great chance.

effzee

FrenchMovieTheme said:

aww lookie here...its shockey scoring one of his only 4 career reg season TDs. hell thrash scored more than that in his first yr with the eagles. u can keep re living that moment but u dont want me or fmt to bring up the eventual loss u guys suffered at the hands of the niners.

oh wait..too late. mr shockey sure had butter fingers in that one.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
espn-nfl-2k5-20040621045802462.jpg

i....
had...
the time of my lifeeeeeee
no i never felt this way before, yes i swear
its so truuuuuuueee
and i owe it all to youuuuuu

Damn, that's awesome! 2k5 rox. How many different scenarios will it have? BTW, I hope they include a scenario from our second meeting last year. :D One quarter to come back from 30-10.

cubanb

Banned
"one week after 49ers general manager Terry Donahue revealed that the
club offered franchise player linebacker Julian Peterson a $15.5 million
signing bonus, the other side went on the offensive.

Agent Kevin Poston, who, along with his brother Carl, represents
Peterson, confirmed in an interview with The Oakland Tribune that the
49ers offered $15.5 million and that he was asking the 49ers for
approximately $30 million in guaranteed money.

Donahue said the 49ers offered Peterson the largest contract in 49ers
team history, exceeding the six-year, $38 million deal awarded to
defensive tackle Bryant Young three years ago.

The 49ers' offer is believed to be an eight-year contract worth more
than $50 million. But Poston said the deal includes three non-guaranteed money years at the end of the deal that his client would never see
because he would be released after five years, the report said.

"But it has to be structured correctly for a fair market deal for a
premier player in this game," Poston said. "And that hasn't happened.
And that's the only reason a deal hasn't been done."

Peterson has skipped all of the 49ers' organized team activities this
offseason because he has yet to sign the team's one-year, $6.073 million
exclusive franchise tender. He is not expected to report on time to
training camp, and Poston has not ruled out the possibility of Peterson
continuing his holdout once the season begins.

The 49ers and Postons can resume negotiations after July 15, but Donahue
said last week that he does not see much likelihood of the sides
reaching a long-term contract solution.

With Peterson not taking part in the 49ers' offseason program, middle
linebacker Derek Smith has seen the bulk of the playing time at
Peterson's strong-side linebacker position."

Hello?????? Postons?????? all years in an nfl contract are not GUARANTEED....... Only the signining bonus is guaranteed. If you are going to be an asshole of a pair of agents.... at least pay attention to the contract first...... geez... I wonder whatever happened to it being an honor for Julian to receive the franchise tag. I would love nothing more than for you to join your buddie Orlando Pace in LA. That way , we can see Barlow run all over your ass all game

lol cuban!

yeah peterson wants a bigger contract than ray lewis. where was peterson in last years green bay game when ahman green was running all over us? where was he in the cinncy game when rudi FUCKING johsnon pounded our defense with the same god damn toss play over and over? that's right, his ass wasn't doing jack shit. now i realize that it has a lot to do with the defensive line also, but last time i checked ray lewis doesn't have hall of famers lining up on the d-line, but guess what? ravens D would have never given up those kinds of runs when they knew it was coming.... fuck off Jpete

Hmm, well, Julian Peterson may not quite be Ray Lewis when it comes to stopping the run (then again, they play different positions, in different schemes, with different responsibilities), but I don't see Ray Lewis taking Tony Gonzalez out of the game like Julian did.

I don't see *anyone* taking Gonzo out of the game like Julian did.

Julian is worth the money the niners want to pay him, the Postons are morons.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
spikydavid said:
the Postons are morons.

Don't think you'll find many people to argue against that one. Any chance we can get them outlawed? Preferably before teams sign their first-round picks (*cough*).

TaleSynz

impirius said:
The NFC East is going to be a war zone. I can't wait!

Ohh yes...All the actions is in the NFC Beast this year...

Yossarian said:
For the NFC east to be a "war zone", the Eagles will actually need some competition. Maybe the redskins can fight out the cowgirls for second place.

Ohh yeah, thats right...completly forget about the New York Giants....we had a dissmal year last year but we had injured players and and O-line who just quit. Still though, we have pretty much the same team the made that run at the Super Bowl in 2000. We lost Collins and replaced him with Warner. Incase Eli messes up with have a seasond Vet coming in. And we have Hand. One of them more underrated DT's in the game. Shockey should be healthy come regular season. Peterson, Allen and Williams are all 100% and Stoudemire won't be playing FS for the G-Unit anymore (THANK GOD). If anyteam in the NFL Beast made good moves its gotta be the Giants. Only weak point I see is Line Backer..and with Portis coming to the division thats a rather scary thought.

They will beat the Eagles atleast once this year (im realistic). Eagles only this year was getting T.O. and losing people on defense. If anything I think getting T.O. is gonna hurt more then help the team because while they gained the "missing link" for the Super Bowl. They aquired a WR with alot of package.

Giants will be contenders...aswill everyteam in the NFL East. This is the division to watch people.

lol iapetus, forgot you guys drafted reggie williams this year. i was praying to god we didn't draft him even though i think he is an awesome talent for the simple reason that the postsons were his agents. then i hear of the fact that he may hold out, hasn't reported to any of the camps, etc. it's just a shame.

it's one thing for a seasoned veteran like peterson or pace or whoever to miss camp (even though it still hurts), but it's another thing for a rookie. even rookies who attend ALL camps, meetings, etc still get confused in a real game. so a rookie who doesn't attend any of that is going to be completely lost. hopefully they can work a deal out though.... williams reminds me of a young T.O. because he is quick and strong, the only difference is he actually has great hands which T.O. doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom