• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 16 |OT| Allegedly What's Old Is New Again

owlbeak

So what's the verdict for this game? I avoided last year's shit show and was hoping this year is a better offering.

Cudder

So what's the verdict for this game? I avoided last year's shit show and was hoping this year is a better offering.

It is a better offering. Gameplay improvements across the board and all (most?) of the modes are back.

About HUT, a companion app for phones would be perfect to keep an eye on the auction house.

zonq

Anyone wants to give me a short introduction to faceoffs? Haven't played since like 4 or 5 installments and I have no idea what I'm doing, and there's no in-game help and/or training (or I'm blind). Online I'm like 2-40 faceoffs for the enemies. I pick a direction with the left stick and as soon as the ref drops I tilt the right stick down in hope to pass to a player of mine in the direction of the left stick.

Also, haven't touched any Ultimate Team (neither Fifa nor NHL) in any EA Sports game yet. Are there guides which also cover the basics?

Anyone wants to give me a short introduction to faceoffs? Haven't played since like 4 or 5 installments and I have no idea what I'm doing, and there's no in-game help and/or training (or I'm blind). Online I'm like 2-40 faceoffs for the enemies. I pick a direction with the left stick and as soon as the ref drops I tilt the right stick down in hope to pass to a player of mine in the direction of the left stick.

Also, haven't touched any Ultimate Team (neither Fifa nor NHL) in any EA Sports game yet. Are there guides which also cover the basics?
Google "NHL 15 HUT guide" and I'm sure you'll find stuff. But if you have any specific questions you can ask me.

As for faceoffs, it's supposedly a rock/paper/scissors scenario, and it's part dependent on your player's faceoff skill. So if you do the same thing every time, you'll win more faceoffs if you're Jonathan Toews than if you're the concussed ghost of Eric Lindros.

The way I take faceoffs is I move both sticks either left or right (or one left, one right). Then when it comes time to "take" the faceoff (when the ref starts to move), I do a quarter circle motion on each stick...

So if I want to push the left stick up (picture the face of a clock here), I hold my left stick either at 9 or 3 (on a clock) and then swivel it up to 12. If I want to push the left stick down, I move it from 9 or 3 down to 6. Same with the right analog stick.

Different directions do different actions. Try out combos. Some will tie up the opposing player. Some will lift his stick. Some will push him out of the way.

ryan299

My download (X1) is now stuck on 92 percent. Got stuck at 91 for five minutes now on 92 for 10. It was going fast up until then.

Maximus.

Wow the in-game icon for NHL is what the old shit cover was, I wonder if they will patch that out in a future update.

addyb

Well I'm really enjoying be a pro mode but being from the uk I've very little experience of watching real life games so wouldn't know how good of a simulation it is. I am enjoying it a lot though.

Antti

Tie-up beats backhand
Forehand beats tie-up
Stick lift beats forehand
Backhand beats stick lift

Then get the timing right. 3 or 9 o'clock to pick your grip and roll 1/4 circle up for a stick lift or down for a normal faceoff. Up on the left stick is tie up. The rock-paper-scissors -knowledge is useless if you don't time it right. Timing is everything, and you can routinely win faceoffs against a superior grip if your opponent doesn't time it better than you.

Bump

Anyone? I just spent an hour searching everywhere and can't find any information on resolution at all

I think it'll likely end up like last year; EA Canada will be silent and it being basically a niche title will mean nobody investigates too hard.

I'd like to know as well, mind you. It does seem crisper to me from what I've seen but it could be imagination.

I tried doing comparisons between 15 and the 16 beta in True Broadcast camera at centre ice face-offs but the angles and camera distance were different.

GravyButt

So any challenges in hut or scenarios like in madden or just games in the season? Seems like it could get stale quick. Maybe im wrong though.

ryan299

I've been doing saucer passes and one timers like crazy trying to unlock the achievements and they won't unlock. Any idea why?

Quick

Banned
Is it just me or is it tougher to win faceoffs? Granted, I just finished the Blackhawks/Lightning game that the game starts you off with, so maybe it's just that one game. Or maybe the guides popping up are messing with me. lol

Menu looks nice, and definitely a lot smoother this time. I'm waiting on the update to install, so I'm just messing around with offline stuff.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So any challenges in hut or scenarios like in madden or just games in the season? Seems like it could get stale quick. Maybe im wrong though.
Nope, just whatever PSN Trophies are tied to that mode. There are NHL Moments in a separate section which let you try and re-create history from the previous season. They used to give you HUT pucks for doing them, I'm not sure if they still do that. EA will also add new Moments for the current season as they happen, for free of course.

Can I customize my EASHL jerseys? I only see change logo.
Nope. Goalie gear is really the only stuff that can be fully customized.

Is it just me or is it tougher to win faceoffs? Granted, I just finished the Blackhawks/Lightning game that the game starts you off with, so maybe it's just that one game. Or maybe the guides popping up are messing with me. lol

Menu looks nice, and definitely a lot smoother this time. I'm waiting on the update to install, so I'm just messing around with offline stuff.

Seems easier to me.

killroy87

Does this still have that thing from last gen where the load times in certain menus were flat out horrible? Like, 15-30 seconds between menu screens at points in certain modes?

mdphilli

Used to love the NHL series way back in the day. Controls turned me off several years back, and every once in a while I'd try again but I've never liked it since the stick controls. I know thsyy added NHL 94 (I think) controls a few years back and that was nice, but have they ever added fully customizable controls in addition to it?

RedRum

Banned
Went to pick up a physical copy and four of my gamestops here were sold out. Went digital because I wanted to play ASAP and now I'm stuck on 75%.

Used to love the NHL series way back in the day. Controls turned me off several years back, and every once in a while I'd try again but I've never liked it since the stick controls. I know thsyy added NHL 94 (I think) controls a few years back and that was nice, but have they ever added fully customizable controls in addition to it?

I don't think NHL 94 controls are in this year either. I never noticed them.

The skill stick is so much better, though.

BTW, if you're stuck on a download, pausing and unpausing seem to work to speed it right up.

I got a copy on Friday, and had issues installing it that night. Or, at least what I perceived to be an issue.

It asked to update from the get-go, so I pressed A as soon as I could. The download should've started right away, but when the install got to around 85%, it became very sluggish. Pausing it and then resuming it seemed to help, but it was a definite crawl in places from then on. Even from 98%-100%.

Thankfully, it let me play before it was finished and the install didn't fail. It installed the final few percent, slowly but surely, as I played.

RedRum

Banned
I got a copy on Friday, and had issues installing it that night. Or, at least what I perceived to be an issue.

It asked to update from the get-go, so I pressed A as soon as I could. The download should've started right away, but when the install got to around 85%, it became very sluggish. Pausing it and then resuming it seemed to help, but it was a definite crawl in places from then on. Even from 98%-100%.

Thankfully, it let me play before it was finished and the install didn't fail. It installed the final few percent, slowly but surely, as I played.

Yup! I got the crawl 98% crawl but I didn't want to play until it was done. It's done now. Time to game!

I was afraid of playing online EASHL because of the critics but I played three 3 vs 3 games and no hiccups whatsoever. I really enjoyed this first evening of play.

DamnBoxes

Holy shit this game can be super frustrating when playing EASHL.

What in particular? I'm having nightmarish experiences with AI defenders, completely unreliable. When they have the puck behind the net they're getting it stuck and giving it up constantly.

Feel the need to always have five user skaters online but that isn't always possible.

Robcat

Banned
The more I play the more it feels like nhl 14. Played eashl tonight and every team just tried to do the same shot every time. My team was passing and setting up nice plays and wasn't getting rewarded at all. Cpu goalies were stopping cross creases every time but wrist shots from far out were going in. This is the game we should have got 2 years ago. There has been no progress at all.

Dunno if people in this thread are playing HUT or not, but I literally just spent 10 minutes in the auction house, spent 3,000 coins (which I'll get back soon) and wound up getting this:

kTJpybl.jpg

If there's any interest in me giving a mini-sermon on HUT collections, let me know and I'll type one up.

Ardenyal

is this the worst rated NHL series game in a while? Was considering getting this one but the reviews be scary

metacritic for NHL 15 is 60, NHL 16 is at 79 right now. Its not a bad game but its not what I would call a leap to next gen with fancy new mechanics just a last gen hockey game with new paint.

Yup! I got the crawl 98% crawl but I didn't want to play until it was done. It's done now. Time to game!

Hmm...that's good to know in a comforting kind of way. I wondered if something was wrong.

It sucks that it's doing that to people, though.

I was sent a physical version, too.

What in particular? I'm having nightmarish experiences with AI defenders, completely unreliable. When they have the puck behind the net they're getting it stuck and giving it up constantly.

Feel the need to always have five user skaters online but that isn't always possible.

Constant puck juggling or can't get the puck off of someone. AI is total shit. Goalie controls have to be some of the worst controls I've ever experienced in gaming history. Feels like you're a shopping cart when turning.

Constant puck juggling or can't get the puck off of someone. AI is total shit. Goalie controls have to be some of the worst controls I've ever experienced in gaming history. Feels like you're a shopping cart when turning.

Did you play much of 15? Just curious since I'm still waiting for my copy and only played a bit of the beta.

I've had two games end in overtime like this...

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/DamnBoxes/video/9635442

Very very very frustrating.

While I didn't have that happen, I did have something similarly annoying happen. I intercepted the puck in front of my net and the puck touched the goalie when it was on my stick and bounced into my own net. Why would they change the behavior when you have the puck by the net, it makes contact with the goalie now? There are going to be ton of garbage goals based on your vid and from what I've seen thus far. Ughhh...

The AI seems not much better than last year, very dumb at times. There has been so much lag in certain games and I've lost my connection to EA a few times as well. Its not my connection as I'm on wired 1Gbps and Live did not go down. I'm pretty sure EA is at least part of the issue here, but I wish everyone had to go wired, so many people with shitty wi-fi connections out there.

Top Bottom