• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 16 |OT| Allegedly What's Old Is New Again

Good luck finding playing time for all the Phil Kessels you're gonna get
Ha, I actually had Phil in NHL 15. Dude was great.

Opened all of my packs and best I got was Braden Holtby (89) which is pretty solid. Didn't get a single B Fiddler! But I did get literally 5 Rome's. The coach system in this game is so odd.

Ha, I actually had Phil in NHL 15. Dude was great.

Opened all of my packs and best I got was Braden Holtby (89) which is pretty solid. Didn't get a single B Fiddler! But I did get literally 5 Rome's. The coach system in this game is so odd.

Do the players you pull still have limited contracts?

addyb

Decided to take the plunge and bought this. Not played an nhl game for a few years and skipped last years due to the game missing modes. I pretty much just play be a pro which I think is excellent. My defence skills/contribution could be better but overall teamwork is good :)

I have a question for expert GAF.
I tend to lose quite a few face offs with the on screen trainer advising my stick was lifted. Is there anyway to prevent this? Not quite sure what to do or is it simply all about timing?

I have a question for expert GAF.
I tend to lose quite a few face offs with the on screen trainer advising my stick was lifted. Is there anyway to prevent this? Not quite sure what to do or is it simply all about timing?

It's timing and holding forehand or backhand for as long as possible before "making your move when the ref starts to drop the puck. Everything has a counter, Forehand + down on the right stick, forehand up, backhand up, backhand down, holding left stick up etc.

There's tutorials on youtube that go more in depth.

I'm no expert so maybe someone better will chime in.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Do the players stay on your team permanently?
Yes. They don't have a "Career Games Available" like when HUT first started. They just have a starting number of games, can reach zero, but then you can put another contract card on them, rinse, repeat.

One question though, I didn't get any bonus for having played HUT in NHL 15 on PS4. When I started up NHL 16, I had 11 packs to open, but I thought they were all from just pre-ordering the game?

Yes. They don't have a "Career Games Available" like when HUT first started. They just have a starting number of games, can reach zero, but then you can put another contract card on them, rinse, repeat.

One question though, I didn't get any bonus for having played HUT in NHL 15 on PS4. When I started up NHL 16, I had 11 packs to open, but I thought they were all from just pre-ordering the game?
There's a banner in HUT that everyone seems to miss. Check your rewards (a second time) for returning user bonus.

Is "chel" an American thing? Being a Canadian growing up on hockey I've never heard the NHL called that until twitch streams the past few days.

GravyButt

Wait so Im totally new to Hut. I just opened all my preordered packs and added all my players to my collection because I had no clue else what to do with them. How exactly do I use them on my team?!?!

Like I went to edit my lineup but it wont let me swap out my original starterpack players?

Also is there a generate best lineup quick button like madden ultimate team?

zonq

So while watching and skimming reviews today I'm still not sure whether to get that or not. I will most likely play online 1v1 or Be A Pro 6v6. I haven't read anything actually about this game, because I totally forgot about it after the cover was revealed. Haven't bought an NHL in ages, was close last year but the disastrous reviews made me not get it. IGN's review moaned a little about online, and since that's the main part I wanna play I'm still hesitant spending 60 bucks on it. So it this one worth getting? I've read some people had access to a Beta, so here are probs some people with more experience of NHL 16 already. Or will I just go online, and people abuse goalie weaknesses 24/7 to win 10-2 (*cough* like this *cough*)? Lately I'm rather into casual games with short matches like Hearthstone and Rocket League, so I'm not so sure whether I will get the full value out of these 60 bucks :s Help me decide, GAF!

I really wish drop in games would automatically start if there's a 5 on 5
Why do I need to wait another 2 minutes for people to fill up the 2 goalie spots

And problem is, if people ready up and somebody new comes in the lobby, game unreadies

So like are the days where you can create a player--->add to nhl team--->play a normal season completely dead? And im not saying be a pro mode or editing an existing player on a team.

Is this really gone??

Cake Boss

Banned
IGN Review.

It still suffers technical problems with online play, which is a shame, because outside of noticeably repetitious play-by-play calling and some non-gameplay-affecting framerate issues in cutscenes and replays, NHL 16 is an otherwise excellent game.

Mihalis0013

Neo Member
So like are the days where you can create a player--->add to nhl team--->play a normal season completely dead? And im not saying be a pro mode or editing an existing player on a team.

Is this really gone??

That's how I play every year. Create a small group of friends and scatter the created players throughout the league. I haven't had a chance to play 16 yet, but as of 15 you could still do that.

That's how I play every year. Create a small group of friends and scatter the created players throughout the league. I haven't had a chance to play 16 yet, but as of 15 you could still do that.

In off-line mode? If so then I'm def buying today. Presentation looked great last year minus all the other BS with it and this year apparently they addressed "most" of the issues..

Mihalis0013

Neo Member
In off-line mode? If so then I'm def buying today. Presentation looked great last year minus all the other BS with it and this year apparently they addressed "most" of the issues..

Ya like I said, I haven't had a chance to play 16 yet. But I've been playing NHL since NHLPA 93 or whatever it was and I only ever play offline.

The biggest issue for me last year was trying to keep the rosters close to RL (with the exception of the created players) because there was no single season mode and you could only control 1 team in GM mode.

So I can't guarantee that you can still do that this year but I see no reason why they would take features out in a year where they spent most of their time adding features back in.

bumpkin

It still suffers technical problems with online play, which is a shame, because outside of noticeably repetitious play-by-play calling and some non-gameplay-affecting framerate issues in cutscenes and replays, NHL 16 is an otherwise excellent game
This has been a problem since the advent of recorded commentary in sports video games that will never go away; it's a given. To call this out as a shortcoming annoys me for some reason.

This has been a problem since the advent of recorded commentary in sports video games that will never go away; it's a given. To call this out as a shortcoming annoys me for some reason.

Because we have way more storage and way more memory than CD-based systems from two decades ago.

Cudder

Played a few games last night, the game plays way smoother than 15. The new animations to pick the puck up are brilliant. Stretch breakout passes now actually work because the player on the breakaway will pick the puck up in optimal position without losing speed. Defense is way better, much easier to knock the puck loose from players.

Because we have way more storage and way more memory than CD-based systems from two decades ago.

Not to mention it was repeated inaccurate calling, especially shots on net. Shot is low on the goalie's left: "What a blocker save!"

The fact that it's mostly recycled calling from 15 just makes the repetition worse.

bumpkin

Regardless of how much space the discs have nowadays, it's impossible and impractical to expect Doc and Eddie to record every single phrase they could ever possibly think of saying during a game.

Not to mention it was repeated inaccurate calling, especially shots on net. Shot is low on the goalie's left: "What a blocker save!"
This is something they could probably fix, but I highly doubt they will.

Wait so Im totally new to Hut. I just opened all my preordered packs and added all my players to my collection because I had no clue else what to do with them. How exactly do I use them on my team?!?!

Like I went to edit my lineup but it wont let me swap out my original starterpack players?

Also is there a generate best lineup quick button like madden ultimate team?
Go to "Team", select whatever player you want to swap out, and click "substitute". This will bring up a search menu (and it should have that player's position selected by default). Hit "search" and then select whichever player (in your collection) you want to take that position. It's a bit annoying to do one by one the first time, but you won't have to do it with each and every player again.

Also make sure to edit your powerplay and penalty kill lines (press Square on PS4 to quickswap players that are already in your lineup... dunno what the button is on XB1).

GravyButt

Go to "Team", select whatever player you want to swap out, and click "substitute". This will bring up a search menu (and it should have that player's position selected by default). Hit "search" and then select whichever player (in your collection) you want to take that position. It's a bit annoying to do one by one the first time, but you won't have to do it with each and every player again.

Also make sure to edit your powerplay and penalty kill lines (press Square on PS4 to quickswap players that are already in your lineup... dunno what the button is on XB1).
Thanks. Wasn't working for some reason,but restarting the game fixed it!What does the abbreviations mean? I understand some like enforcer ect but a few im confused by.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
There's a banner in HUT that everyone seems to miss. Check your rewards (a second time) for returning user bonus.

Alright, I'll double check, but I could've sworn I went through all the menus to look for it.

Thanks. Wasn't working for some reason,but restarting the game fixed it!What does the abbreviations mean? I understand some like enforcer ect but a few im confused by.
I don't have the game in front of me, but I think they have...

SNP - Sniper
GRD - Grinder
PWF - Power Forward
PLY - Playmaker
ENF or TGH - Enforcer/Tough Guy
TWF - Two Way Forward

OFD - Offensive Defenseman
DDM (or something similar) - Defensive Defenseman
TWD - Two Way Defenseman

Once again I find playing EA NHL in anything other than EASHL to be pretty awful. Playing offline against the AI is terrible, and playing randoms in online vs is even worse. No semblance of realistic hockey whatsoever. Skate down wing to goal line, center puck, repeat until goal.

This game is only really good for having a laugh in EASHL with buddies. In terms of being a simulation of the sport, once again I think its pretty sucky.

I said this in the EA forums and i'll say it again. It seems that all they did was put lipstick on the donkey (graphics are better), but the game still plays like @$$.

The passing is worse than last year IMO. I can't even make a short pass and when I try to set up a play in the other team zone, my receiving player will automatically start to skate out the zone and I will need to set (or try to) up a play again.

Your AI defensemen will still play like pee wee players. In other words, they have no clue how to defend and seems to be happy just to be on the ice. It gets frustrating, especially when the CPU defence actually play NHL defence, but your AI players can't.

Face-offs are a bit better, penalties aren't. still the same ole you get tons of penalties but they don't.

Graphics wise, it's fantastic. Don't get me wrong, I'll still play and try to get better, but I hope the developer does some patching to fix some issues above. But, since they are old issues, not holding my breath.

Haven't touch Be GM mode or any other mode though.

Best NHL in awhile. EASHL 6s is a lot more realistic, when you play against good teams that know how to trap and pass the puck through the neutral zone. Hardly seeing any one man shows and curling the puck and turning invincible like previous versions. You gotta grind for your goals. EA has done a pretty good job this year.

ryan299

I find it funny that the commentary still stinks after all the hype they've given it over the last two years.

We can edit players this year right? I never agree with EA's ratings.

Stat!

I find it funny that the commentary still stinks after all the hype they've given it over the last two years.

We can edit players this year right? I never agree with EA's ratings.

Yes you can. including player contracts.

Any more impressions guys? Last NHL I played was NHL 12. Miss some hockey. Too bad the Canucks suck now :(

Anything in particular you want to know?

Some quick tips for people new to HUT

- The auction house right now is the Wild West. Because there are so few cards available (since people just got the game), prices may be way higher than they should be (or lower in some cases). Unless you absolutely need a specific player, tread cautious with bidding.

- It is hard to get (very) good player cards by buying packs. The odds are very, very low. However, you will need contract cards in order to play HUT games (or you could just sub in lesser players). So while overall it's usually a better financial idea to buy players through auction than buy packs, now is probably a solid time to get packs, just to fill out your roster and get some contracts. Silver packs are cheaper and might be a better bang for your buck for contracts, but you won't get as good players obviously.

- Unless they've changed it this year, if your goalies gets the "fatigue" injury (playing him too many games in a row), simply swap him for the backup before your next game. After that game, your goalie's injury will be gone.

- This is personal preference, but since I don't play HUT against human players, I don't really care about the player boosts. So if you're like me, auctioning off stuff like Skater +5 Shooting, Duration +15 games, etc is a good way to get coins in order to get contracts or players.

- You can get bonus gold packs if you collect every card for a specific team. This is hard to do early on, but something to keep in mind in the future. Better teams reward more packs, but they're harder to complete (since getting a Toews and Kane card is going to be very expensive). On that note...

- Here's a website that shows what card you need for each team: http://nhlguides.net/nhl-16-collection-checklists/ Note that some jerseys look very, very similar. Also you can check off cards on this website once you get them and if you have cookies enabled in your browser it should save your progress on the website.

- Here's another page on that website that shows (for NHL 15) the best value in terms of how much you need to spend (in auction) to complete a team vs. how many packs you get: http://nhlguides.net/cheapest-to-most-expensive-nhl-collections/

- Still on that topic, the good thing about collecting is you can auction off all the cards/players you collect, which will in turn help fund you collecting your next team. The only caveat is that you cannot trade or auction any cards you get in the bonus gold packs you receive for completing a team.

There's a ton more info about HUT. Some of it you'll just figure out as you play, but I personally love the mode since I was obsessed with hockey cards when I was a kid, and I like getting a sense of progress in completing a game.

If anyone has any HUT questions, feel free to ask in this thread. I'll be checking in on it today periodically.

Top Bottom