• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If the Canucks could just win out the remainder of their games I would be totally stoked.

Also, enough with the furries guy. You're gonna give zedge flashbacks and confuse him.

A flashback to last night is hardly a flashback

calder

Realignment is coming (lebrun at espn)
The NHL’s new realignment plan for next season could become reality within two to three weeks.

The league in conjunction with the NHL Players’ Association has worked diligently over the past two weeks on realignment, including a meeting in Toronto Tuesday morning between the two sides.

Several team executives and governors contacted by ESPN.com Tuesday were in the dark about what the league was determining for realignment. And just what exactly the league and union have been working on the past two weeks, neither NHL nor NHLPA officials would divulge Tuesday. But it’s believed the framework is a slight variation from the December 2011 realignment format. And when I say variation, I believe there are a couple of teams that have been switched around from the original December 2011 format.

Here’s how the board of governors realigned the league in December 2011:
Conference A
Anaheim
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

Conference B
Chicago
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Conference C
Boston
Buffalo
Florida
Montreal
Ottawa
Tampa Bay
Toronto

Conference D
Carolina
New Jersey
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

notbad.jpg

Curufinwe

Hopefully they have moved on from that terrible realignment plan from December 2011.

This is better; even Conferences, no forcing the Florida teams into the same division with the eastern Canadian teams.

Atlantic: NJ NYI NYR PHI PIT
Northeast: BOS BUF MTL OTT TOR
Southeast: CAR FLA NAS TB WAS

Central: CBJ CHI DAL DET STL
Northwest (now North): CAL EDM MIN VAN WIN
Pacific: ANA COL LA PHX SJ

calder

What's the difference between this and the previous realignment plan?

Nothing, that's the 2011 plan which will apparently be the basis still but now they have a date to actually do it now. But the article does indicate that "a couple" of teams may end up in a different spot. Assuming that's just two teams swapping conferences I can't see an obvious pair of candidates.

For future reference:
Chicago - neutral to dislike, in that I like them if they are playing Vancouver or Detroit
Columbus - benign indifference
Dallas - neutral
Detroit - hate
Minnesota - amiable potential rival (mostly drunken arguing with Twins fans after Jays games)
Nashville - mild dislike
St. Louis - mild dislike
Winnipeg - mad love

CCF23

Nothing, that's the 2011 plan which will apparently be the basis still but now they have a date to actually do it now. But the article does indicate that "a couple" of teams may end up in a different spot. Assuming that's just two teams swapping conferences I can't see an obvious pair of candidates.

For future reference:
Chicago - neutral to dislike, in that I like them if they are playing Vancouver or Detroit
Columbus - benign indifference
Dallas - neutral
Detroit - hate
Minnesota - amiable potential rival (mostly drunken arguing with Twins fans after Jays games)
Nashville - mild dislike
St. Louis - mild dislike
Winnipeg - mad love

Well fuuuuuuck you too.

Socreges

Banned
So apparently they want to name the conferences after semi-modern players. Conference A would allegedly be known as the Messier Conference.

Quick

Banned
So apparently they want to name the conferences after semi-modern players. Conference A would allegedly be known as the Messier Conference.

ib0QCGYB9YAEfJ.gif

calder

All they have to do is move Columbus or Nashville to the East, and then the three division for each Conference are obvious.

Based on the article I guess Columbus and Detroit are the most eager to be in the East so Columbus would be a good guess. But who could they possible swap into the West to make that work that wouldn't be even worse? Or is expansion going to fix that assuming a west coast team and a new team in southern Ontario or Quebec City.

Marvie_3

Banned
Fuck that. Bring back the old division names. I want my Norris Division back.

Based on the article I guess Columbus and Detroit are the most eager to be in the East so Columbus would be a good guess. But who could they possible swap into the West to make that work that wouldn't be even worse? Or is expansion going to fix that assuming a west coast team and a new team in southern Ontario or Quebec City.

Bingo.

calder

fuck that. bring back the old division names.

I grew up with Norris, Smythe, Patrick and Adams and while I have a bit of nostalgic love for the names I honestly don't mind the geographical names. It's a nice shorthand for a lot of more casual fans, but the problem is that the teams don't fit into proper geographical areas so you're inevitably stuck with absurdities like Dallas being in the Pacific which detracts from the whole concept.

And then I'm stuck arguing with my wife that in fact it DOES make sense that Detroit is in the Western conference because they are "western" relative to the distribution of the other 29 cities. ;p

But yeah I'm with you guys, naming the conferences after semi-modern players would be lame and almost embarrassing.

Tabris

These were the discussed names, except it wasn't Roy but Sundin.

Edit- Being told now "this is getting a lot of support". Apparently Messier is a given since "it would please both Oilers and Canucks fans".

I don't know a single Canucks fan that likes Messier. He cheap shotted Linden in game 6. FUCK HIM.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
A) The names they chose are horrible. Just bring back the Norris, etc.
B) Get rid of the ridiculous divisional playoff idea. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

As for the Wings, Franzen is out tonight. Eaves takes his place and guess who gets pushed up to the front line: Dan Cleary. Because...I have no idea why.

Marvie_3

Banned
I don't know a single Canucks fan that likes Messier. He cheap shotted Linden in game 6. FUCK HIM.

Why are you complaining about something that happened 15 years before you started watching hockey?

A) The names they chose are horrible. Just bring back the Norris, etc.
B) Get rid of the ridiculous divisional playoff idea. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

As for the Wings, Franzen is out tonight. Eaves takes his place and guess who gets pushed up to the front line: Dan Cleary. Because...I have no idea why.
No.

Socreges

Banned
These were the discussed names, except it wasn't Roy but Sundin.

Edit- Being told now "this is getting a lot of support". Apparently Messier is a given since "it would please both Oilers and Canucks fans".
New report coming in:

'A' conference might be named Sundin Conference instead since he retired a Canuck. 'C' Conference would therefore be changed to 'Tucker Conference'

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why are you complaining about something that happened 15 years before you started watching hockey?

No.

Now that Chicago is amazing, of course you want it.

Also, I found the list Bettman proposed for the conference names:

A: Crosby
B: Malkin
C: Bylsma
D: The Coyotes are never leaving Phoenix

Marvie_3

Banned
New report coming in:

'A' conference might be named Sundin Conference instead since he retired a Canuck. 'C' Conference would therefore be changed to 'Tucker Conference'
Screw that noise. If they're going to name them after recent players, then I suggest:

Arnason Conference
Bell Conference
Calder Conference
Daze Conference

Now that Chicago is amazing, of course you want it.
I would want it even if Chicago was terrible. You Wings fans bitch about having all these late west coast games, but you wouldn't have to worry about that for the first few rounds.

Plinko

I'd go with:

A: Gretzky
B: Howe
C: Richard
D: Lemieux

Screw this "semi-modern" crap.

Plinko

I would want it even if Chicago was terrible. You Wings fans bitch about having all these late west coast games, but you wouldn't have to worry about that for the first few rounds.

I just hate the idea of playing the same teams every year. Boring.

Plinko

So do you want to shuffle regular season divisions every year too?

I meant in the playoffs, not regular season. I don't have a problem with a pool of 14 other teams to possibly play. Cut that to 8 and it gets boring. I get what the league is trying to do (build up rivalries), I just personally don't like it.

Top Bottom