• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

Heretic

Who steps in for Anaheim if Perry and Getzlaf decide to sign elsewhere?
IF they decide to sign elsewhere then Bobby would be top line center. Ducks have some great young kids in the pipeline. They would have to sign free agents players but they definitely won't trade for the ones we have now.

calder

ESPN headline: "Sabres still in shock over Lindy Ruff's firing"

Based on the game I saw, the only way that headline makes sense is if the lede is "... because it took a lot longer than they thought it would." Sure it's only one game, but I said on Twitter that the Sabres looked like a team beyond waiting for the coach to get the boot and were taking a more active role in making it happen.

Solo

IF they decide to sign elsewhere then Bobby would be top line center. Ducks have some great young kids in the pipeline. They would have to sign free agents players but they definitely won't trade for the ones we have now.

Stage 4: delusion?

Bay Area isn't just SF brah. Huge area full of awesome shit.

But yeah Santa Cruz and Monterey are my favorite parts of Cali. SLO is cool but it's too "bro" for me.
Yeah Im just shooting shit, never wen´t to Monterey, but I loved Santa Cruz, tried to surf at the peak but I was mostly in the way for others:p Some people were really friendly trying to coach me though:p

I know what you mean with the "bro" feeling, I joined the schools Ski Club. Most of the people couldn´t snowboard for shit but they still acted like they were superstars:p

CrankyJay

Banned
ESPN headline: "Sabres still in shock over Lindy Ruff's firing"

Based on the game I saw, the only way that headline makes sense is if the lede is "... because it took a lot longer than they thought it would." Sure it's only one game, but I said on Twitter that the Sabres looked like a team beyond waiting for the coach to get the boot and were taking a more active role in making it happen.

I don't know man...so all of a sudden the Sabres are going to give a full 60 minute effort against the Leafs just because their coach is gone? They'll finish every check, make crisp passes, and not cough up the puck when bracing for a hit along the boards?

Solo

Well, I'm out. Hoping I might be able to catch the second half of the game. I guess I'll save on salt anyways by missing most of the game.

The Ron Roltson era begins... and Grigorenko is a healthy scratch still.

Cody McCormick cleared waivers today, and was replaced on the roster by Porter. The Detroit, Mich., native has played in 48 games this season with Rochester, amassing 44 points (15+29) and 38 penalty minutes.

Jordan Leopold did not take part in today’s skate, and will miss tonight’s game with an upper body injury. Rookie Mikhail Grigorenko will be a healthy scratch for the third straight game, and fourth time this season.

Montresor

Would it be wrong to say it might have been better to send Grigorenko to his junior team? Because Grigs is under 20 years old, he is not allowed to be sent to the AHL team. And because Buffalo decided to keep Grigorenko up beyond the 5-game tryout, he is not allowed to go to his junior team anymore. It seems like a waste for him to be a healthy scratch every night. If he's not earning a spot with the team, his time would be better served in the Q junior league.

Would it be wrong to say it might have been better to send Grigorenko to his junior team? Because Grigs is under 20 years old, he is not allowed to be sent to the AHL team. And because Buffalo decided to keep Grigorenko up beyond the 5-game tryout, he is not allowed to go to his junior team anymore. It seems like a waste for him to be a healthy scratch every night. If he's not earning a spot with the team, his time would be better served in the Q junior league.

I don't see how one couldn't earn a spot on this Sabres team. Scratching him three games in a row seems entirely arbitrary when everyone is horrible.

Would they be worse off if it was Grigorenko giving the puck away and not clearing the zone instead of Hecht or Gerbe doing it? Or worse off if it was Grigorenko sitting on the bench for 57 minutes instead of John Scott?

fallout

I don't know man...so all of a sudden the Sabres are going to give a full 60 minute effort against the Leafs just because their coach is gone? They'll finish every check, make crisp passes, and not cough up the puck when bracing for a hit along the boards?
It's not really about whether they'll miraculously start playing better or not. It's more the fact that teams tend to fire their coaches when their guys are playing like shit for extended periods of time. To me, that's what not-shocking about Ruff's firing, despite how long he'd been around.

Fei

It's more that Sabres fans existed in a world where firing the coach wasn't ever a real option. Sure, we'd yell and call for his head from time to time, but it definitely knocked the wind out of you hearing that Ruff was out.

Long over due? Of course. This team has been near unwatchable all year. But it's something that just doesn't happen here, for whatever reason.

CrankyJay

Banned

Yes...they should suck it up and send him back down and eat the year on the ELC. They're fucking this kid over.

CrankyJay

Banned
It's more that Sabres fans existed in a world where firing the coach wasn't ever a real option. Sure, we'd yell and call for his head from time to time, but it definitely knocked the wind out of you hearing that Ruff was out..

Couldn't say it better myself. I wanted him gone but when it finally happened I felt pretty shocked and slightly bad. I'm over it now...it was time.

fallout

It's more that Sabres fans existed in a world where firing the coach wasn't ever a real option. Sure, we'd yell and call for his head from time to time, but it definitely knocked the wind out of you hearing that Ruff was out.

Long over due? Of course. This team has been near unwatchable all year. But it's something that just doesn't happen here, for whatever reason.
Definitely a good point on your perspective.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope tonight doesn't go as badly as I fear. Losing to a decimated Sens team is not my idea of fun.

I have no confidence in this team without Nash. They need to prove they can get the job done.

Heretic

Last place in this week's standings :(

Week Standings 1 Zod the Bear 15
2 sefskillz 14
3 kuro madoushi 13
4 Greekboy 12
5 Manics 11
6 Merguson 11
7 MacAttack 8
8 Heretic 6

Get your votes in, people!

http://boxstretchhockey.com/bsh_pickem/

Previous Week's Winners
Week 1: 01/19/2013 - 01/26/2013 (Merguson)
Week 2: 01/27/2013 - 02/02/2013 (sefskillz)
Week 3: 02/03/2013 - 02/09/2013 (MacAttack)
Week 4: 02/10/2013 - 02/16/2013 (Manics)

Stasis

Last place in this week's standings :(

Week Standings 1 Zod the Bear 15
2 sefskillz 14
3 kuro madoushi 13
4 Greekboy 12
5 Manics 11
6 Merguson 11
7 MacAttack 8
8 Heretic 6

Get your votes in, people!

http://boxstretchhockey.com/bsh_pickem/

Previous Week's Winners
Week 1: 01/19/2013 - 01/26/2013 (Merguson)
Week 2: 01/27/2013 - 02/02/2013 (sefskillz)
Week 3: 02/03/2013 - 02/09/2013 (MacAttack)
Week 4: 02/10/2013 - 02/16/2013 (Manics)

I'd try my hand at that but I don't know who coined the term "boxstretch" =/

In the words of Harvey from Suits...
"Go easy on them"
"I won't"
"... Good boy"

I'm about to go into a job interview. You should see me repress my rage right now. It's some next level Ghandi shit right here.

Stasis

I'm missing something here... why would the Oilers want Nick Schultz playing with Justin Schultz? I've been led to believe they're not related, and a quick search doesn't provide any information to the contrary.

Unless it's just the play style that goes together. I admittedly know very little about either of them, other than J. Schultz is a RH offensive D-man the Rangers wanted...

Heretic

I'm missing something here... why would the Oilers want Nick Schultz playing with Justin Schultz? I've been led to believe they're not related, and a quick search doesn't provide any information to the contrary.

The Nick Schultz trade happened way before jackoff schultz trade and they were already wanting to pair them. Did they know they were going to sign jackoff before? if so, then they tampered.

Stasis

The Nick Schultz trade happened way before jackoff schultz trade and they were already wanting to pair them. Did they know they were going to sign jackoff before? if so, then they tampered.

Yeah I get the part that it happened way before, just didn't know why they wanted to pair them so much that they'd do a seemingly even value one-for-one trade if the Schultzs aren't related.

I get it now... Gilbert is a righty.

Heretic

Yeah I get the part that it happened way before, just didn't know why they wanted to pair them so much that they'd do a seemingly even value one-for-one trade if the Schultzs aren't related.

I get it now... Gilbert is a righty.

Oh, you were looking at the pairing aspect of it.

Did the Ducks even file tampering charges ? Is there an actual investigation going on ?

It took 4 years before St. Louis was busted for tampering with Stevens this wont get resolved for a while if ever.

I doubt they tampered.

Sick new Datsyuk highlight reel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQek_SUBNw0

Includes stuff as recent as the last game against Nashville, and all the way back to his rookie season. Aside from Peter Forsberg, it may be the best highlight reel I've seen.
It would have been better if it didnt start with 90% shootouts in the first minute, but it gets much better.

I love the little skate deke at 6:40. He is insane at small stuff that gives him a couple of feets from the defender.

Nice that he got some of that Selke level take away to, as important to his game as his stickhandling(although it goes hand in hand).

Top Bottom