• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

Oh I'm not saying it's not a great movie, it is. But I just can't look past the inaccuracies and MURIKA-IS-BEST-ization, so I'd have appreciated it not winning. it's like, "as long as the movie is good and MURIKA is great, pick up your Oscar on the way out". The movie would've been just as great had it been portrayed more accurately, but then it probably wouldn't have won an Oscar.

Smelly. You sound bitter. I'm sure they mentioned Switzerland or Canada somewhere, no? :p

My hopes for these new movies are decent acting, a plot that isn't all about politics, some fan service, and great lightsaber fights. As long as it's decent on these fronts I won't hate it.

Too bad you'll be getting a lot of this instead:

sabrespin_zps99252475.gif

Stunt Choreography by Cirque du Soleil

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I get your point of view. I'm tempted to jump on board with it as well, but then I remember how much I enjoyed the tension in the movie. I just have to ignore the historical inaccuracy.

The fun part is I watched the movie in the living room at my apartment, and during the loud Iranian background music part I suddenly realized my temporary roommate is Iranian. He didn't come out though, so it was less awkward than it could've been.

Smelly. You sound bitter. I'm sure they mentioned Switzerland or Canada somewhere, no? :p

In the movie, the Canadian ambassador that risked his life and planned the whole thing was a glorified concierge... C'mon now. :D Switzerland had no part of it, apart from being the destination, and they were probably mentioned more than Canada :lol

Acid08

Banned
Abrams Star Trek is a better movie then all the prequels combined.

But it's also just a modern action movie with Star Trek wrapping on it. There's nothing in it that was really evocative of what Star Trek is but it was still a damn entertaining movie. Expecting the same thing from VII.

Quick

Banned
I'm not mad about JJ directing Episode 7. The only really, really high quality, canon, SW creations are the original trilogy and the KOTOR games.

My hopes for these new movies are decent acting, a plot that isn't all about politics, some fan service, and great lightsaber fights. As long as it's decent on these fronts I won't hate it.

I have this poster waiting to be framed, speaking of SW.

I like JJ Abrams. I like what he did with Star Trek, and I hope he has similar or greater success with Star Wars.

Definitely agree with you that the politics is what really bogged down the prequels, along with the writing ("I HATE SAND"). Episode III was somewhat redeeming, since it put the pieces in place, but once again, writing struck again.

I have this beauty (cheaply) framed right now.

I also have this waiting to be framed, though.

star-wars-episode-6-return-of-the-jedi-poster.jpg

Alucard

Banned
A passing of the torch story for the next Star Wars would be great. As long as they focus on character development, hire actors who can act, feature tension between light and dark forces, and don't make the thing feel too bloated, I'm in. I was disappointed by the prequels, but I'm optimistic about the future of the brand.

Quick, I'm jealous of your Empire poster. I want that framed at some point as well. Or maybe one of the original Episode IV posters.

But it's also just a modern action movie with Star Trek wrapping on it. There's nothing in it that was really evocative of what Star Trek is but it was still a damn entertaining movie. Expecting the same thing from VII.

That's because what Star Trek is/was is largely boring to the average person. ST:The Motion Picture was the purest film and it bombed. People want explosions and shit.
Abrams movie was entertaining though, too much origin story, extreme coincidences and lame time travel plot. ST: Into Darkness looks awesome from the trailers though, should be better now that they got all the introductions out of the way.

A passing of the torch story for the next Star Wars would be great.

I really don't see the point of more Star Wars (besides money for Disney/Lucasarts). Do we really need an old Harrison Ford "passing the torch" ?

Acid08

Banned
I really don't see the point of more Star Wars (besides money for Disney/Lucasarts). Do we really need an old Harrison Ford "passing the torch" ?

People want Star Wars. And yes I am stoked to see Ford back as Solo. Like I said, love a little fan service.

I'm more interesting in who they're going to make the villain now. Sith rebirth or something? Need more Force philosophy and less midi-chlorians.

Quick

Banned
Most movies are better than the prequels combined.

Sadly true. So much potential squandered.

Personal highlights:

Episode 1 - LOL

Episode 2 - Fucking Jedi posse fighting in Geonosis, Yoda vs. Dooku, Natalie Portman.

portman.jpg

Episode 3 - Obi-Wan vs. Anakin (for the most part), opening scene, Grievous early on.

Smiley90

Personal highlights:

Episode 1 - LOL

Episode 2 - Fucking Jedi posse fighting in Geonosis, Yoda vs. Dooku, Natalie Portman.

portman.jpg

Episode 3 - Obi-Wan vs. Anakin (for the most part), opening scene, Grievous early on.

That "injury"/Natalie Portman in general was the best part of all the three movies.

Quick

Banned
Quick, I'm jealous of your Empire poster. I want that framed at some point as well. Or maybe one of the original Episode IV posters.

There's a poster store that visits colleges/universities in Toronto/GTA that sell poster replicas for quite a cheap price. Bought that Empire poster for like $7. Frame was a cheap plastic Wal Mart one that's easily removable. Spent under $20 overall.

The Return of the Jedi poster was from a poster seller at Fan Expo. It's actually bigger than my Empire one, and I don't have any room left to hang it, sadly.

Acid08

Banned
Any potentially cool stuff in II was just fucking ruined by Hayden and Natalie farting awful love lines to each other for long stretches. God, so fucking terrible.

Personal highlights:

Episode 1 - LOL

Episode 1 - I didn't mind the battle with Darth Maul at all, <3 Duel of the Fates

Episode 2 - Yep

Episode 3 - Yep

Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen killed it for me, they must gone through hundreds of actors and that's the best they could do ?

People want Star Wars. And yes I am stoked to see Ford back as Solo. Like I said, love a little fan service.

Not gonna be the same. Looks like a bad videogame with the CG. Go back to practical models, hell a Freespace 2 Mod would pull it off better

Marvie_3

Banned

Personal highlights:

Episode 1 - LOL

lolwut that was awful

Here's mine:

Episode 1 - Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, the movie being over

Episode 2 - Natalie Portman, the movie being over

Episode 3 - Natalie Portman, the movie being over

Alucard

Banned
The thing is, if you take the prequel trilogy in the greater context of the mythology, which includes novels and The Clone Wars TV series, the overall story is actually quite good. A shame that the execution of the prequel trilogy is so poor for the most part. The plot -is- there, but the way it was expressed was really messy.

Alucard

Banned
lolwut that was awful

Here's mine:

Come on, Marvie. You have to at least give it up for Duel of the Fates in Episode I. Even if you didn't like the fight, the music was glorious.

I'm with you on Episode II, but thought there was a liiiiittle more to enjoy in III.

Acid08

Banned
There was nothing even remotely appealing about Natalie Portman in III. Her acting undid everything good that came from her face being on screen.

calder

Sadly, we're still waiting for Topher Grace's edit to become public. It sounds... actually kinda great. All three movies boiled down to 85 minutes? TPM completely removed except for one brief mention? Sign me up!

Because damn there's some great stuff in the otherwise shitty prequels. Certainly the blurays impressed on a technical level, the space fights were demo material for any home theater enthusiast.

There was nothing even remotely appealing about Natalie Portman in III. Her acting undid everything good that came from her face being on screen.

I give her a lot of slack for her admittedly awful acting. Mainly because 95% of her lines were absolute gibberish and almost all her more involved scenes were with that charisma black-hole Hayden Christensen. Meryl Streep in her prime couldn't get a decent emotive second out of a conversation with him.

Smiley90

lolwut that was awful

Here's mine:

This is about it.

Quick

Banned
NO, IT'S BECAUSE I'M SO IN LOVE WITH YOU.

THEY'RE LIKE ANIMALS, AND I SLAUGHTERED THEM LIKE ANIMALS.

Episode 1 - I didn't mind the battle with Darth Maul at all, <3 Duel of the Fates

Excellent point. Yes, this.

Handgun holster? I have no idea, but that seems most likely.

Wait, what. Sorry, I was just staring at something else.

lolwut that was awful

Here's mine:

I almost forgot Liam Neeson was in Episode 1.

Acid08

Banned
III gets a pass most of the time because the only reason for those prequels to be made was actually somewhat well done in that film. Finally got to see the downfall of a Jedi and the birth of Vader.

Acid08

Banned
Not gonna be the same. Looks like a bad videogame with the CG. Go back to practical models, hell a Freespace 2 Mod would pull it off better

:lol obviously it's not going to be the same.

Abrams brought Nimoy back pretty successfully and Ford is a much, much better actor so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Smiley90

III gets a pass most of the time because the only reason for those prequels to be made was actually somewhat well done in that film. Finally got to see the downfall of a Jedi and the birth of Vader.

If only there'd been a better actor to portray that downfall.

Quick

Banned

Agreed. I did actually like that it at least pieces everything together.

But it was almost ruined by...

tumblr_md6t3sgOzg1r0sqdio1_500.gif

Quick

Banned
Is it just me, or do these leaked realignment proposals make it seem obvious that seattle is in the cards and not QC?

I wouldn't put it past the league to be thinking 5 years ahead. Unless there's either a group ready, or a group that's ready to form to make a formal bid at a franchise, I still think QC has the best chance at a franchise.

Marvie_3

Banned
Come on, Marvie. You have to at least give it up for Duel of the Fates in Episode I. Even if you didn't like the fight, the music was glorious.
http://cornonthekabob.ytmnd.com/

This wouldn't have been so bad if a lot of this wasn't so crammed in at the end. In the span of what seemed like 8 seconds, you have him turning into Vader and a quick flash of the death star.

I wouldn't put it past the league to be thinking 5 years ahead. Unless there's either a group ready, or a group that's ready to form to make a formal bid at a franchise, I still think QC has the best chance at a franchise.

There are a few groups in Seattle...

Personal highlights:

Episode 1 - LOL

'Duel of the Fates' track on the soundtrack + Darth Maul vs Qui Gon and Obi wan.

Either way, Star Wars is terrible business. Most people only like it because they wax nostalgic about it from watching it as kids. Everybody is too caught up in the past and viewing it through rose coloured glasses to see how truly awful all of the movies really are.

Marvie_3

Banned
Is it just me, or do these leaked realignment proposals make it seem obvious that seattle is in the cards and not QC?

Seattle is still "in the cards" as you say, but QC is in much better shape to handle a relocation right now.

There are a few groups in Seattle...
Rumored groups. Plus an absolutely terrible venue and no guarantee of a new arena right now. QC has a confirmed owner, suitable temporary venue, and a new arena under construction.

I know that there's talks of getting a group together, but either I forgot all about it, or I just didn't know that there's already a few on hand.

The biggest thing is whether or not Sacramento moves to Seattle from the NBA.

Others said it looks like Seattle and KC from the divisions, but KC has no owner.

Acid08

Banned
star-wars-kotor-cover.jpg

647342-kotor2box.jpg

Can we talk about how fucking amazing these games are? More interesting lore than the entirety of the EU.

Either way, Star Wars is terrible business. Most people only like it because they wax nostalgic about it from watching it as kids. Everybody is too caught up in the past and viewing it through rose coloured glasses to see how truly awful all of the movies really are.

dsturdl pls

Top Bottom