• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup Final |OT| Beat LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamari41

41 > 38
You know the Kings 2012 Cup run is the most watched Hockey games in the LA area of all time right? I believe it was around 13.9.

Number will be higher this year. You also have to count on the fact that the viewership of these finals were down this year but continued to rise throughout the playoffs. Viewership from NY was the lowest until the last few games.

I'm not arguing with anybody, I'm posting the numbers. How do the 2012 ratings compare to the ratings coming out of other cities in their series' that year?

They probably wouldn't even know who Gretzky is.

You're delusional.

I'm not arguing with anybody, I'm posting the numbers. How do the 2012 ratings compare to the ratings coming out of other cities in their series' that year?

I don't know that. I think the craziest thing about this year is NY/Habs started higher than LA/Chi but ended lower. I don't think all of the numbers have game in from last night. Just predictions. So far game 5 was the most watched game Western Final in 5 years. I would expect both of the next games to crush those ratings.

divusrex

The Kings vs 'The King'. As much as I respect Lundqvist for his talents and skills, I still pick LA to win it.

Go Kings Go!

Calamari41

41 > 38

Yeah man, when another team beats the team that beat you... you see... it makes you look better. Because... because the...

The Sharks, Ducks, and Hawks are redeemed with a Kings Cup victory. Not any of the teams that the Ducks or Hawks beat.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Also calamari is a troll and I'll continue to troll him every time the ducks lose.

You'll have to wait a long time for that to happen again!

=(

Edit: Seriously though, I have to point out, attempts at trolling from a fan of the team that lost to you just don't work. Especially when they don't even make sense. Kings fans can, will, and have trolled away justifiably.

Fox318

R0Qvc8V.gif

Stet

Banned
I hope L.A. wins and crushes New York. Just for the inevitable King.com lawsuits against the newspaper headlines.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Ouch, you guys keep shitting on Kings fans like it's a bandwagon thing, but nobody's actually watching in LA. And now it looks like there will be a good number of NY fans in LA due to ticket prices. Where's the bandwagon?

They're on the streets and in the bars. Most of them don't even watch the games period.

lol Kings fans will be at the games. Those prices mean nothing.

This, too. But I think he was (mainly) talking about our ratings discussion earlier.

Ouch, you guys keep shitting on Kings fans like it's a bandwagon thing, but nobody's actually watching in LA. And now it looks like there will be a good number of NY fans in LA due to ticket prices. Where's the bandwagon?

lol Kings fans will be at the games. Those prices mean nothing.

Jeff Carter, the man child, deserves no more cups. Rick Nash deserves a cup no more than Carter. Ugh, I hope both teams lose. I'd rather see Sid win another than either of them get a cup...and that says a lot.

They're on the streets and in the bars. Most of them don't even watch the games period.

That's because LA has weather that makes it enjoyable to be outside no matter what season it is. LA loves nearly all of it's teams across all sports though (The Angels are not and never will be an LA team regardless of the name). Kings, Lakers, and Dodgers are perennial favorites in the city.

Cagey

Banned
Ugh. that schedule. I have to commute through this bullshit at Penn Station twice next week? Walking through throngs of Rangers fans before the Rangers play a Cup Finals game, after a long workday, is a circle of hell.

Calamari41

41 > 38
That's because LA has weather that makes it enjoyable to be outside no matter what season it is. LA loves nearly all of it's teams across all sports though (The Angels are not and never will be an LA team regardless of the name). Kings, Lakers, and Dodgers are perennial favorites in the city.

They like the way the team logos look on shirts and flags while they're winning, that's for sure. I like the stock "well of course nobody watches the games, we have better things to do" statement, though. I've always found that one very interesting. I feel that it misses the point, or doesn't exactly answer the charge. Oh, and we don't like the LA in front of Angels, either. There was a lawsuit over it and everything.

I'm looking forward to the Lundqvist gifs over the next couple of weeks. I'm genuinely jealous that there's nothing like them for my team.

They like the way the team logos look on shirts and flags while they're winning, that's for sure. I like the stock "well of course nobody watches the games, we have better things to do" statement, though. I've always found that one very interesting. I feel that it misses the point, or doesn't exactly answer the charge.

Of course you feel it misses the point, because it's a different culture. You see the same things in any city that has a myriad of things available for it's citizens to do outside year round though. The cities still love their teams though.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Of course you feel it misses the point, because it's a different culture. You see the same things in any city that has a myriad of things available for it's citizens to do outside year round though. The cities still love their teams though.

No, I lived in LA for 8 years and down the road in north Orange County for the balance of my life, I know the culture. I'm saying that it's not, I guess, a positive defense against accusations of bandwagonism. I always heard fellow Trojans saying it when the Coliseum was half empty after Pete left, and I never really bought it.

Clydefrog

They like the way the team logos look on shirts and flags while they're winning, that's for sure. I like the stock "well of course nobody watches the games, we have better things to do" statement, though. I've always found that one very interesting. I feel that it misses the point, or doesn't exactly answer the charge. Oh, and we don't like the LA in front of Angels, either. There was a lawsuit over it and everything.

I'm looking forward to the Lundqvist gifs over the next couple of weeks. I'm genuinely jealous that there's nothing like them for my team.

you have those Luigi gifs

No, I lived in LA for 8 years and down the road in north Orange County for the balance of my life, I know the culture. I'm saying that it's not, I guess, a positive defense against accusations of bandwagonism. I always heard fellow Trojans saying it when the Coliseum was half empty after Pete left, and I never really bought it.

I guess we have a variance on what bandwagoning really is then. I mean, what I see in LA would be more closely aligned with fair-weather fanning rather than bandwagoning. If the Angels or the Ducks do well, there's not a whole lot of people in LA or the SFV suddenly cheering them on. LA doesn't quite take to football like the rest of the country does though. USC and UCLA teams don't draw and we've haven't had Pro teams consistently enough to build generations of families with devotion (though you see some of that in pockets towards the Raiders). Our basketball teams draw more fans (both Collegiate and Pro) so I think LA not being a Football town is more to blame in that area.

We do love our teams, rock their apparel, cheer their victories and lament their defeats. Attendance and Viewership doesn't hit huge numbers though until we're in do or die situations, which is a time fans rally behind their teams anyways, fair weather or not. You can call us bad fans for that I guess but bandwagoners? Not in my book.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I guess we have a variance on what bandwagoning really is then. I mean, what I see in LA would be more closely aligned with fair-weather fanning rather than bandwagoning. If the Angels or the Ducks do well, there's not a whole lot of people in LA or the SFV suddenly cheering them on. LA doesn't quite take to football like the rest of the country does though. USC and UCLA teams don't draw and we've haven't had Pro teams consistently enough to build generations of families with devotion (though you see some of that in pockets towards the Raiders). Our basketball teams draw more fans (both Collegiate and Pro) so I think LA not being a Football town is more to blame in that area.

We do love our teams, rock their apparel, cheer their victories and lament their defeats. Attendance and Viewership doesn't hit huge numbers though until we're in do or die situations, which is a time fans rally behind their teams anyways, fair weather or not. You can call us bad fans for that I guess but bandwagoners? Not in my book.

I see where you're coming from now. I was using the term bandwagoner more loosely. Fair weather is definitely the better way to describe it if we're going to differentiate the two like that. There are bandwagoners everywhere, but yeah, in general I would agree that most Round 3 Kings fans wouldn't trade their Kings hats in for Hawks hats if they had lost last night. They just would have disappeared altogether until another Cup run.

I will deny your statement that USC doesn't draw as being an excuse, though, because the house was packed as shit with hours-long lines and insane ticket prices during the Carroll years. With fair weather and bandwagon fans. If anything those people are total bandwagoners, or else UCLA has manifested fans out of nowhere in the last two years.

Edit: I must say, though, there are a huge number of people who I have never heard so much as mention hockey before who are all in on the Kings as of last night. Those types, I think we can agree, are bandwagoners. Maybe bandwagoners which the Kings have exclusive rights to. These are the people who can't name a player on the team.

I will deny your statement that USC doesn't draw as being an excuse, though, because the house was packed as shit with hours-long lines and insane ticket prices during the Carroll years. With fair weather and bandwagon fans. If anything those people are total bandwagoners, or else UCLA has manifested fans out of nowhere in the last two years.

I think that's just the few football fans in town clamoring to see a quality game in person though.
I say few because apparently we're not financially viable enough for a Pro team.
I don't think it's a lack of allegiance to the schools themselves because, as I said earlier, the basketball teams draw more fans. Or rather, more consistent fans.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Eh, I think that saying the fans only want to go see a quality game in person is a more diplomatic way of saying they are fair weathering or bandwagoning. It's kind of different with school teams though since none of the people we're talking about went there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom