• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Direct 2013.2.14 - [Over: Waluigi Time]

DaBoss

I don't really think so, considering most of it was Miiverse centric. Announcements and news of games are just the regular Direct stuff, it just happened to be a bunch of new titles that people liked, and yes aimed at reassuring a few wii u owners, but still.

If they were trying to talk to regular gamers only they would just announce stuff via PR and/or wouldn't use more than half th time to speak about Miiverse and that kind of stuff. they know internet doesn't care.

It's regular stuff, but it just happened to be a bunch of new games people like? :p

They were hyping it up by keeping the new games at the back end. It was a nice surprise, which is how it should be. Read the thread of the last direct and how the tone changed. (Except for Brera lol).

ASIS

I disagree. I think the very fact that we're over 20 days since the last Direct and yet both Press and Forum attitude to Nintendo/Wii U is about the same (after all, nothing has really changed for the consumer) is very relevant. I don't think that they're merely doing this to turn around negative press as some have been suggesting.

Its Irrelevant because I was talking about the intention of said Direct. Whether or not it was a success was just my own opinion on the matter. If you want to discuss the consequences then yes, you are very much correct. But that wasn't the main point I wanted to discuss.

Hope that clears things up. I suppose making one-word posts hurts more than it helps.

tumblr_inline_mgmugfdy3uea.gif

(Today, 11:40 PM

Well played Cap.

I'm worried that Toki Tori 2 is a sign that too much focus will be on old stuff. We need new 3rd-party Wii U stuff, to be fair if/when Nintendo announce the JP one, that's where we'll see the goods, stuff like TT2 won't be there. Do we know how long these will be?

ASIS

I don't really think so, considering most of it was Miiverse centric. Announcements and news of games are just the regular Direct stuff, it just happened to be a bunch of new titles that people liked, and yes aimed at reassuring a few wii u owners, but still.

If they were trying to talk to regular gamers only they would just announce stuff via PR and/or wouldn't use more than half th time to speak about Miiverse and that kind of stuff. they know internet doesn't care.

The trailers held the element of surprise. Which is the biggest factor in creating hype. For instance, the format they used is exactly the same as the one as Twilight Princess' reveal.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I'm worried that Toki Tori 2 is a sign that too much focus will be on old stuff. We need new 3rd-party Wii U stuff, to be fair if/when Nintendo announce the JP one, that's where we'll see the goods, stuff like TT2 won't be there. Do we know how long these will be?

It's a 3DS event. No Wii U stuff.

Seriously, a mod should put 3DS in the thread title.

HeySeuss

Google maps, TT2, Tank Tank Tank available ftp by the end of the direct, and maybe a Need for Speed spotlight trailer.

Anything else will exceed my expectations.

I anticipate a brutally stupid response from the press. The better the announcements, the dumber the articles.

"Sir! Nintendo have announced a new Zelda!"
"Then what are you waiting for! Write an article on this new Zelda game!"
"But...but sir! They also announced a new 2D Metroid!"
"Jill! You do the Metroid article!"
"I'm writing the Donkey Kong one..."
"Max?"
"The...the Revelations 2 article sir..."
"Not you too Jimmy?"
"The...Animal Crossing: Village WiiU MMO sir."
"God damn it. I'll have to write one then. Whats left?"
"Final Fantasy VIII sir and...the others."

"You want me to write an editorial don't you?"
"Yes sir; that way we can just put F Zero in the sub-title."

Shahadan

It's regular stuff, but it just happened to be a bunch of new games people like? :p

They were hyping it up by keeping the new games at the back end. It was a nice surprise, which is how it should be. Read the thread of the last direct and how the tone changed. (Except for Brera lol).

I did, and to me it's just underlines the fact that we (as GAF) are more interested in announcements and megatons to determine if nintendo is saved or doomed. We see the same thing every E3 (and for Sony and MS too) when some time is used to talk about things we don't care for.
E3 is more aimed at press and investors than at us, and those directs are aimed at every 3DS and Wii U owners and not just us, while of course being watched by press (who obvisouly don't like the method) and investors.

Yes, the trailers resulted in "hype" but I don't believe one bit that Directs are designed only for that. That feeling just comes with the fact that someone is speaking and announcing things, of course keeping the best things for the last minutes.
Besides they announce Directs only hours before it goes live, which is not really building hype.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So the NA direct is probably eShop only when it comes to Wii U.

I'm okay with this, more 3DS goodness is more relevant to me!

Drago

11PM, 3DS only. JP. 20 minutes long.

EDIT: Simultaneous with the others.
Fuckin shit I guess localization announcements will be at a minimum. They'll probably want to go for parity with NoA having an extra 10 minutes for WiiU junk.

Oh well, new games are nice I guess...

Top Bottom