• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2016

tolkir

Super Strike Beach Volleyball looks like is from the same Family *Sport* games.

TM_3DSDS_SuperStrikeBeachVolleyball.jpg

rjc571

Banned
For those with Lovely Planet on Wii U, how fast is the turning speed with IR? I absolutely loved the game on PC (came one level short of getting 3 stars on every level) and I'm considering digging my Wii U out of storage to buy the game and show my support for IR controls, but the one thing giving me pause is that many of the later levels require super fast, super precise 180 degree turns, and I can see them being difficult to pull off even with the Wiimote. I'd like to see a video demonstration if possible.

Pokemaniac

For those with Lovely Planet on Wii U, how fast is the turning speed with IR? I absolutely loved the game on PC (came one level short of getting 3 stars on every level) and I'm considering digging my Wii U out of storage to buy the game and show my support for IR controls, but the one thing giving me pause is that many of the later levels require super fast, super precise 180 degree turns, and I can see them being difficult to pull off even with the Wiimote. I'd like to see a video demonstration if possible.

There's a sensitivity setting that affects how fast it is. I actually had to turn it down a bit to be usable.

As I've mentioned before in this thread, the Wiimote implementation isn't very good. There's no reticle, and aiming and the camera are too tightly coupled.

Li Kao

Err, excuse me but I have a stupid question here. Not following Nintendo news that closely I just activated my new My Nintendo account by linking my Nintendo ID and... there is still no classic account system where you can see your purchases ?
Has there been talk about such thing recently or am I misunderstanding something ?

PtM

Banned
Oh thank you, completely missed this part of the site !

Edit -

Is it normal that my purchase history only shows the post-NNID purchases ? I would guess so, but better be safe than sorry. So my pre-NNID purchases are in a grey zone and are not tied to my account ? Am I right ?
I believe they never were, they're tied to the eshop account which is tied to the hardware.

Li Kao

I believe they never were, they're tied to the eshop account which is tied to the hardware.

Ok, I get it and I'm truly not willing to put a fuss about it. What is done is done and well, the NNID system was introduced late and that's it.
What I find stupid in this situation is that as far as I'm understanding things, I can't add these old games to my account freely, and even if I had money to burn I couldn't even re-buy them. Strange situation.

Pokemaniac

Oh thank you, completely missed this part of the site !

Edit -

Is it normal that my purchase history only shows the post-NNID purchases ? I would guess so, but better be safe than sorry. So my pre-NNID purchases are in a grey zone and are not tied to my account ? Am I right ?

All the pre-NNID purchases are still tied to the ID. They just don't show up in the account activity thing because stuff would get non-linear.

Robin64

Got an update in the UK, has a "Nintendo DSi Library" button on the second page now. Allows you to take ownership of Flipnotes you posted to Hatena from the DSi version.

TheMoon

Ok, I get it and I'm truly not willing to put a fuss about it. What is done is done and well, the NNID system was introduced late and that's it.
What I find stupid in this situation is that as far as I'm understanding things, I can't add these old games to my account freely, and even if I had money to burn I couldn't even re-buy them. Strange situation.

You can see all your account activities in the actual eShop like always. All your stuff is listed and tracked there.

tolkir

Japan getting Famicom Wars DS <Advance Wars: Dual Strike>, Final Fantasy V Advance and Ai Cho Aniki (PC Engine) next week.

I know some have nostalgic memories for it but Yoshi's Story is awful, barely passable even as a "lazy afternoon" time burner. Spend your digital dollars on Yoshi's Island GBA instead (it's still a great port even with slightly imperfect sound and the changed effects on Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy and the GBA exclusive extra levels are excellent and add even more replay value). Or better yet, get Yoshi's Woolly World, aka the real successor to Yoshi's Island and the game Yoshi's Story should have been. Good Feel deserves your support, fantastic developer.

Bottom line is that if you're looking for something like an IOS style account system then you're still out of luck.

maxcriden

I know some have nostalgic memories for it but Yoshi's Story is awful, barely passable even as a "lazy afternoon" time burner. Spend your digital dollars on Yoshi's Island GBA instead (it's still a great port even with slightly imperfect sound and the changed effects on Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy and the GBA exclusive extra levels are excellent and add even more replay value). Or better yet, get Yoshi's Woolly World, aka the real successor to Yoshi's Island and the game Yoshi's Story should have been. Good Feel deserves your support, fantastic developer.

You forgot to rep Yoshi's Island DS. As one of its few proponents, you're obligated to.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh right, tomorrow is 3 more SNES games on New 3DS: Link to the Past, Super Metroid, & DKC2.

Still holding out for 3rd party to confirm their games, considering how many Japan got confirmed.

Oh right, tomorrow is 3 more SNES games on New 3DS: Link to the Past, Super Metroid, & DKC2.

Still holding out for 3rd party to confirm their games, considering how many Japan got confirmed.

Yeah, like all those Mega Man games (X-3 and 7) and Super Castlevania 4. Maybe Super Ghouls n Ghosts. Those are the ones I'd be interested in. Besides the ones that already have been released. ( I don't own a New 3DS though)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd honestly get Contra 3 & finally try Super Castlevania 4 since those seem like good games on the go & the fact those never seem to go on sale on the Wii U VC. Plus the fact I can earn My Nintendo points makes purchases a bit more tempting.

But yeah, seems like Capcom was one of the bigger supporters since they also confirmed Final Fight, Mega Man, & such.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oooooh, good point.

......."So here's Mega Man Soccer on Wii U VC AND New 3DS VC!!"

I wish Wily Wars would get re-released.....

You forgot to rep Yoshi's Island DS. As one of its few proponents, you're obligated to.

Yes, YI DS is also a great alternate choice for YI veterans despite Artoon/Arzest not nailing all the aesthetics down properly. Good Feel really needs to be in charge of the Yoshi series from now on though and outstanding quality of the game aside, they deserve it after Woolly World sold a million plus copies.

But Yoshi's Story is awesome, not awful. :D Wrong suffix!

Yoshi's Story is a very poor platformer not only when compared to all of the other Yoshi games, it's not even good when compared to all other 2D platformers on the N64. The game was apparently somewhat of a market experiment aimed to be accessible to preschool age children (in an old IGN mailbag column at the time Matt C. said he heard this was supposedly one of Tezuka's goals, whether or not that's true it certainly feels that way).

-Complete and utter lack of satisfying challenge other than the OCD level "side quest" of sniffing out light green melons by scouring every square inch of each stage (which is insanely tedious and barely works at times).

-Dull, open ended levels with weak enemies and sparse design which don't engage the player with any kind of interesting, constructive goal other than eating 30 pieces of fruit.

-Only 24 levels and no extra stages to unlock like all the other Yoshi platformers. No incentive for getting perfect scores on each stage other than unlocking very minor cosmetic changes in the ending scene.

I was in high school when the game came out and eagerly waited the better part of a year during the N64 droughts for it to be released based on how excellent Yoshi's Island was only to find a game which was severely lacking in depth and content compared to its sterling predecessor. My classmates who played Yoshi's Island were disappointed with Yoshi's Story as well for the same reasons. It remains to this day as one of the most lowest reviewed games NCL has ever made averaging in the 6s. No. It's not "awesome."

Simbabbad

Yoshi's Story is an excellent platformer if you bother to play it properly.

What I find amusing is that the usual complaints about it (easy, aimed toward children, etc.) nearly all apply to Kirby's Epic Yarn, yet that game was a media darling with tons of good scores and an excellent reputation, while the complaints actually don't apply to Yoshi's Story if you play it as an actual gamer. There is no "gamer" way to play Epic Yarn, yet there's a gamer way to play Yoshi's Story, and then it's extremely challenging.

The disinformation is getting tiring.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mega May could honestly just be 7 and X1-X3 on 3DS...because I'd buy them all.

If it was the Game Gear game, Wily Wars, and MM soccer I'd be thrilled, but Wily Wars could only be released on original Wii VC and that ain't happening.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What I could see:

- that Game Gear game (though I've heard negative things about it)
- Mega Man Soccer
- ZX & ZX Advent hitting the Wii U VC (I need to play Advent)
- Star Force also hitting Wii U VC

....That's really it, when it comes to Nintendo platforms. They could expand to PSN & be all "here's Battle & Chase, X6, X7, &/or X8."

...also for some reason, I couldn't help but wonder if Rhythm Heaven on DS would get added to the Wii U VC to help promote Megamix on 3DS.

Camjo-Z

What I find amusing is that the usual complaints about it (easy, aimed toward children, etc.) nearly all apply to Kirby's Epic Yarn, yet that game was a media darling with tons of good scores and an excellent reputation, while the complaints actually don't apply to Yoshi's Story if you play it as an actual gamer. There is no "gamer" way to play Epic Yarn, yet there's a gamer way to play Yoshi's Story, and then it's extremely challenging.

Actually there is a "gamer" way to play Epic Yarn. You might not be able to die, but you ain't getting the top gem score in each level unless you avoid getting hit more than a couple times per stage. I mean, it's still not incredibly challenging, but Kirby games rarely are.

donny2112

So apparently you can stream 3D movies to your n3DS on your local network for free, and they're really in 3D. I've been wanting this since the 3DS was announced, and it's finally here
(and I'm just really LTTP)
!
Don't care about the decreased resolution. Perfectly acceptable to me for free on a portable.

Oh and buying 3 SNES games on n3DS tomorrow! So cool!!

I'm excited.

What pompous condescension. Listen up:

My original SNES cart perfect file (finally got my perfect clear and snapped this pic around Dec 2008):

My GBA cart perfect file (winter 2008/possibly early 2009):

My YI DS perfect file (Jan/Feb 2014):

My YNI perfect file (I also snapped a pic of my world six clear itself that night, finally clearing 6-S took several hours and put me in a great mood, Sept 2015):

My Epic Yarn perfect file and 100% items collection (Oct 2015, completed my file a few weeks before Woolly World's release in order to both clear up some of my backlog and as a way of giving my props to Good Feel):

Also, here are a few a pictures from
a few weeks before that I snapped the night I got a no-hit bead Gold medal run on Frosty Wheel after several hours, one of my very favorite Epic Yarn stages, I was obsessed with getting a no hit clear on that stage:

"There is no "gamer" way to play Epic Yarn," what utterly ill informed nonsense.

I wasn't motivated to snap those personal milestone pictures of Epic Yarn because it's a "media darling." I snapped those pictures because each and every bit of that game and every no-damage score I managed to obtain always put a huge grin on my face and always felt like an accomplishment of skill each time because doing no hit runs in Epic Yarn is often very difficult. Doing a no damage run on most any given stage in Yoshi's Story is not hard at all because the levels are designed in a way where the player is rarely ever confronted with situations where they're easily in danger of being hit and even if you do get hit, you don't lose any melons you've collected.

I snapped each and every one of those pictures right after getting my perfect runs for each of those games, it's a ritual I have whenever I do a perfect run on a Nintendo platformer (or other occasions like my -3 hour runs on Metroid NES and Super Metroid) to celebrate the moment. So please do spare me your trite little lecture about playing these games "as an actual gamer." There's no photo to put up there yet of a perfect file on my now 18 year old Yoshi's Story cart because unlike the games featured in the personal pictures above, that game has never brought me the joy and satisfaction that the gameplay, level design and loads of extras and content those games above offered for the aforementioned reasons and those games all feature collection quests far more accessible and enjoyable than melon hunting which is about as fun as combing through a kitchen floor with a toothbrush. But considering I finally forced myself to get the rest of the Blue coins I needed in Sunshine several years ago, I'm sure I'll eventually get a perfect YS file someday. But it won't be before I snap a picture of my 100% Woolly World file, that's for sure.

I don't begrudge those who enjoy Yoshi's Story and those who have nostalgia for it. It's not a horrible game. But value, content, design and depth wise compared to the titles above and just about any other Nintendo platformer, I think most logical, objective people would be willing to admit it's a massive disappointment or to say the least, quite lacking in comparison. To each their own though.

Simbabbad

Actually there is a "gamer" way to play Epic Yarn. You might not be able to die, but you ain't getting the top gem score in each level unless you avoid getting hit more than a couple times per stage. I mean, it's still not incredibly challenging, but Kirby games rarely are.
I beat Epic Yarn 100% and this is a very, very easy goal to reach - whereas getting all melons/top score in Yoshi's Story is extremely hard. That's my point, not that Epic Yarn would be a bad game.

The things people use against Yoshi's Story are actually false, whereas those same things do apply to Epic Yarn, yet they don't alter its reputation. Take Nintendo Life's review:
Unfortunately the game is held back by oversimplified platforming, design that's clearly oriented towards young and inexperienced gamers, and an exceedingly short campaign.
Those things exactly apply to Epic Yarn, yet it got 10/10, whereas Yoshi's Story gets 6/10. My point is there is a double standard, and those reviews are actually false since all melons is VERY challenging, much more so than the original Yoshi's Island in my experience.

What pompous condescension. Listen up: [stuff]
Thanks for proving my point.

Why on Earth should I care in any way, shape or form that you beat 100% Yoshi's Island SNES, Yoshi's Island GBA, Yoshi's Island DS, New Yoshi's Island, or Epic Yarn? My point is that getting top score in >>> Yoshi's Story <<< is very hard, whereas having 100% in Epic Yarn is very easy, and that all things thrown at Yoshi's Story are false, whereas they apply to Epic Yarn without consequences in its reputation. Why you mention any of the Yoshi's Island games at all, I have no idea.

Get top score in Yoshi's Story and come back to say it's easy, then it'd be relevant to the discussion.

Top Bottom